Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Orlean jazz funeral concept...plus other ideas/themes for the upcoming tour
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 5, 2021 07:42

hi all - since Charlie died (still gives me a jolt to realize that), I've been wondering about the tenor and vibe of the upcoming tour and concerts.

How will they pull off jumping around singing and dancing---while also acknowledging the reality of this profound loss?

Obviously, there'll be a Charlie tribute video to start things off. Or maybe multiple videos, possibly interspersed throughout the show.

All of which would be great. But what more...? Holograms of Charlie? (Kinda hope not).

And how can any such effort not seem contrived or bolted onto the side of a Typical Rolling Stones Concert?

I had an idea that would honor the reality of the loss of Charlie--while also being a festive event.

A New Orleans style jazz funeral...where the event and music starts slower and more somberly, respecting the loss and sadness--and morphs into an exuberant joyous life-affirming cathartic no-holds-barred celebration.

That would literally honor Charlie and his roots and affinity for jazz--as well as emotionally and musically weave authenticity for what the band is--and fans are--undoubtedly feeling, in terms of melancholy, and then flow to joie de vivre and full acknowledgement of how fortunate we are to be alive--and to have had Charlie for 60+ years with the band.

I don't mean this would be stated. But the curation of the setlist.

It would create a marvelous musical and emotional arch that the band and audience would experience together. Not unlike what the Grateful Dead on a nightly basis--in terms of intentionally creating an experience.

Songs could include (I jotted this down as I was driving on the highway lol - so it's not complete, also there's too many, some aren't doable, and not in order)
Let's Spend the Night Together -- as an upbeat show opener, and then things like:
As Tears Go By
Coming Down Again
Times Waits for No One
Lady Jane
Ruby Tuesday
Paint it Black
Waiting on a Friend
Miss You
Love in Vain
Angie
Shattered
Gimme Shelter
Hand of Fate
Rocks Off
Sympathy
YCAGWYW
Tumblin Dice
Sweet Virginia
You Got the Silver
Emotional Rescue
Before They Make Me Run
Dead Flowers
Hip Shake
Happy
Loving Cup
Rip This Joint
Monkey Man
Bitch
CYHMK
IORR

Encore:
Waiting on a Friend
Not Fade Away

-------------

What are some of your ideas, visions, hopes, concepts?
-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 01:12 by swiss.

Re: New Orleans jazz funeral concept...plus other ideas/themes for the upcoming tour
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 5, 2021 11:46

swiss
How will they pull off jumping around singing and dancing while also acknowledging this profound loss?

What are some of your ideas?
-swiss

Imo the mourning will remain private : they'll handle the loss within the inner circle of the band and the grief won't "leak" to the outside world.
As soon as they'll be in front of an audience they'll turn in "entertainment juggernaut" mode cos that's what people come to see them for.

I'm sure Keith will start his solo spot with a "this one's for you Charlie!". Will he then play "You Got the Silver" or "All About You"?
We'll soon know.

Re: New Orlean jazz funeral concept...plus other ideas/themes for the upcoming tour
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2021 11:48

the mourning will remain private : they'll handle the loss within the inner circle of the band and the grief won't "leak" to the outside world.

Yes ... total respect ...

ROCKMAN

Re: New Orlean jazz funeral concept...plus other ideas/themes for the upcoming tour
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 5, 2021 18:20

Wow. God help me how tacky

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 5, 2021 20:40

It was reported that the band was planning some type of memorial for the tour.

"The rock band will continue their US tour in September, according to the Sun, and the band will pay an emotional tribute to their fallen friend at their concert next month."

The continuing the tour part was accurate, no reason to think the planning something for the opener, as this was printed in Aug., won't be.
Part of the reason I added the opener to my itinerary tbh.
If there is a tribute planned for Charlie, I want to be there for it.

It will likely be addressed briefly as described above at the remaining shows, but I don't think that will be the case for the opener.

First thing that came to mind when I read the header, was the marching gorillas with drums at their 50th concerts, which I saw in Brooklyn.
Was kinda cool as they circled the crowd, but I digress winking smiley

I believe they'll due a solemn farewell, perhaps with his illuminated kit on the B stage, with the band playing dark and videos rolling...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-05 20:53 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2021 21:02

If anything, I'd say for all shows as an opening tribute a respectful short video montage similar to, if not the same to what was already released.
Nothing more and nothing less. No speeches, no poems, no spectacles - just keep it simple. RIP Charlie.

Date: September 6, 2021 00:59

Cooltoplady

Sorry - you're saying my idea is "tacky"...? How so? I'm thinking you must not have understood what I conveyed, which is the farthest thing from "tacky."

Clearly, I didn't mean or say a literal jazz funeral march -- but the emotional tenor of one -- starting sad and wending its way to exuberant and celebratory.

I'm thinking maybe people on IORR don't know what a New Orleans jazz funeral is like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 01:01 by swiss.

Date: September 6, 2021 01:03

MisterDDDD
a solemn farewell, perhaps with his illuminated kit on the B stage, with the band playing dark and videos rolling...

That would be lovely.

Date: September 6, 2021 01:05

Rockman
Yes ... total respect ...

hi Rockman, I'm thinking I must not have been very clear, because my suggestion was anything but disrespectful. Playing a concert that starts out with sadder more somber tunes and crescendos to a celebration of life, joy, and living...? That's what I was saying.

I tend to write too much so it must have gotten lost in all my turgid prose.

Date: September 6, 2021 01:12

Hey no.... youre fine swiss ....

Just meant private funeral etc
was total respect to Charlie .....

stay safe and swing on swiss ...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 6, 2021 01:22

Thanks, Rockman - I didn't realize people would think I was suggesting literally having Charlie's funeral on tour.

I simply meant the tenor of the evening starting out slower, mellower, and sadder, and leading to full-throttle celebration--which is what a New Orleans Jazz Funeral is.

DESCRIPTION OF NEW ORLEANS JAZZ FUNERAL
The music and dancing of the jazz funeral are intended to both help the
deceased find their way to heaven and to celebrate the final release from
the bounds of earthly life. Call-and-response style of music and chant,
coupled with tambourines, drums, music, and dancing in common in African
funerals caught on in America in the deep South, and came to be the
funeral of choice particularly among impoverished people and musicians.
A typical jazz funeral plays music that starts off heavy and sad but
soon turns celebratory. Everybody dances. ”When the deceased is laid
to rest – or they 'cut the body loose'– the mourners 'cut loose' as well.
Although the majority of jazz funerals are for musicians, anyone can
request one. And all passersby are encouraged to join in and help
celebrate."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 01:24 by swiss.

Date: September 6, 2021 01:23

swing on swisseeeebabe you are doin' fine ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 6, 2021 17:50

That's a real sweet idea that would definitely hit the spot.

Who knows what they have planned. I'd love a look and feel close to the Hyde Park show for Brian in '69.

Let's hope it all works out!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 6, 2021 18:03

MisterDDDD

"The rock band will continue their US tour in September, according to the Sun, and the band will pay an emotional tribute to their fallen friend at their concert next month."

This is likely information Contact Music gleaned from speculation right here at IORR. No one "inside" is talking.

Date: September 6, 2021 18:24

Don't believe that's accurate (not willing to dig thru thread(s) to substantiate), but I believe that info was published prior to any speculation here.

I recall because my initial reaction, was this is good news, but wondered how accurate the info was. Turns out, whatever the original source, info has been proven half accurate, leaving the rest of the "report" extra likelihood for validity imo.

Rocky Dijon
MisterDDDD

This is likely information Contact Music gleaned from speculation right here at IORR. No one "inside" is talking.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 6, 2021 18:41

I hope they just plug in and play.
They've never been given to things like this and it wouldn't ring true. In their way they are very stoic and old-fashioned British. It's one of the things I like most about them.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 6, 2021 19:21

Clarence Clemons died in 2011.

Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band on almost shows of the Wrecking Ball Tour in 2012, stopped after few minutes the song "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" when Bruce was in the middle of the crowd.
90 seconds with Clarence's videos on the big screen. No music, just the people clapping their hands.
And after this break, the show came back with an extraordinary energy on the stage and in the crowd.

4:50 in this video (Paris 2012) :

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 19:35 by Massimo68.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 6, 2021 20:06

Massimo68

Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band on almost shows of the Wrecking Ball Tour in 2012, stopped after few minutes the song "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" when Bruce was in the middle of the crowd.
90 seconds with Clarence's videos on the big screen. No music, just the people clapping their hands.
And after this break, the show came back with an extraordinary energy on the stage and in the crowd.

[www.youtube.com]

Thats more like it.

This is a Rolling Stones concert this isn't a memorial service. Have a small film tribute and that's it. All this talk about dancing and parades is a slap in Charlies face. He would hate that.

Date: September 6, 2021 20:32

More Hot Rocks
Massimo68

[www.youtube.com]

Thats more like it.

This is a Rolling Stones concert this isn't a memorial service. Have a small film tribute and that's it. All this talk about dancing and parades is a slap in Charlies face. He would hate that.

If you read the thread, no one was actually suggesting that nonsense.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 6, 2021 21:15

MisterDDDD
More Hot Rocks
Massimo68

4:50 in this video (Paris 2012)

[www.youtube.com]

Thats more like it.

If you read the thread, no one was actually suggesting that nonsense.

It’s mentioned in the first post and post title. I guess you missed it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 21:17 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: September 6, 2021 21:23

This topic is as dumb as people suggesting Play With Fire as an opening tune

Date: September 7, 2021 00:06

More Hot Rocks

No, dude...you clearly missed it. I do understand English isn't everybody's first language, and that not everyone reads well, nor is familiar with the New Orleans Jazz Funeral concept.

As I said...not literally do that, but the TENOR--the vibe, the feel, the essence, the musical arch--of the show starting slow and somber and becoming increasingly joyous and celebratory.

Gosh...I guess I should have compassion that some people seem still to be very wound up about COVID and apparently other things going in their lives to make bizarre, off-base, and hostile jabs such as some of these. I'd forgotten that element does come onto IORR to vent their spleen...anonymously. I'm Susan Doran--who are you, hiding behind "cool" names and spewing bitter venom?

As to "justin" - thanks smiling smiley I like your ideas too.

And thanks, Mr DDD, for pointing out that I didn't suggest having a parade...sheesh!

PS - other than the Stones themselves, there's rarely if ever been another band that has launched a tour 1 month after one of the core founding members has died. And there has never been a circumstance where that member had been part of the core of the band for 60 years---e.g., Bruce Springsteen put off touring for 9 months after Clarence Clemons died, that was his choice but the point is: there's no valid comparison there. The Stones may be stoic and British, but you-all don't know anything about what they would want, or about their emotional lives, or how they are taking this. We-all can speculate. But what's happened here is completely unprecedented. People insisting "the show must go on," business as usual, regular setlist--seem to be in denial, and/or projecting their own inability emotionally to process Charlie's death onto the band and their purported "wishes."

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-07 00:26 by swiss.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 7, 2021 00:43

actually, i think an old style New Orleans funeral procession by someone if not the Stones themselves would be totally appropriate. One needs to celebrate the movement into the next level to appreciate life. And I think Charlie would agree with that sentiment, although obviously I never asked him myself. A traditional New Orleans funeral procession is the ultimate in dignity even if at times it might seem comical and irreverent. So were the Stones and lets not forget, so was Charlie on many occasions.

But...they will never do it. More like Mick with get up there in a little girls dress and mumble some incomprehensible verse out of some obscure text before the band proceeds to slaughter their new single, to massive applause of course. And lets not forget the thousands of overheated butterflies fluttering by.

jb

Date: September 7, 2021 02:52

swiss
And thanks, Mr DDD, for pointing out that I didn't suggest having a parade...sheesh!
to process Charlie's death onto the band and their purported "wishes."[/b]
-swiss

You're welcome, and not just because we share the same last name winking smiley- Mike Doran

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 7, 2021 04:18

swiss
More Hot Rocks

No, dude...you clearly missed it. I do understand English isn't everybody's first language, and that not everyone reads well, nor is familiar with the New Orleans Jazz Funeral concept.

As I said...not literally do that, but the TENOR--the vibe, the feel, the essence, the musical arch--of the show starting slow and somber and becoming increasingly joyous and celebratory.

Gosh...I guess I should have compassion that some people seem still to be very wound up about COVID and apparently other things going in their lives to make bizarre, off-base, and hostile jabs such as some of these. I'd forgotten that element does come onto IORR to vent their spleen...anonymously. I'm Susan Doran--who are you, hiding behind "cool" names and spewing bitter venom?

PS - other than the Stones themselves, there's rarely if ever been another band that has launched a tour 1 month after one of the core founding members has died. And there has never been a circumstance where that member had been part of the core of the band for 60 years---e.g., Bruce Springsteen put off touring for 9 months after Clarence Clemons died, that was his choice but the point is: there's no valid comparison there. The Stones may be stoic and British, but you-all don't know anything about what they would want, or about their emotional lives, or how they are taking this. We-all can speculate. But what's happened here is completely unprecedented. People insisting "the show must go on," business as usual, regular setlist--seem to be in denial, and/or projecting their own inability emotionally to process Charlie's death onto the band and their purported "wishes."

-swiss

And I do wish people (not you, Swiss) wouldn't decide that they know all about "what Charlie would want".

Date: September 7, 2021 04:22

Green Lady
swiss
More Hot Rocks

-swiss

And I do wish people (not you, Swiss) wouldn't decide that they know all about "what Charlie would want".

What ever you say Karen

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 7, 2021 04:32

Cooltoplady
Green Lady
swiss
More Hot Rocks

-swiss

What ever you say Karen

It's Brenda, actually. (No, not that one.)

Date: September 7, 2021 07:02

Green Lady
It's Brenda, actually. (No, not that one.)

grinning smiley

Nice to see you, Green Lady <3

-swiss

Date: September 7, 2021 07:21

jbwelda
More like Mick with get up there in a little girls dress and mumble some incomprehensible verse out of some obscure text before the band proceeds to slaughter their new single, to massive applause of course. And lets not forget the thousands of overheated butterflies fluttering by.

jb

grinning smiley

Oh gosh, that's right...and many of those butterflies fluttered upward for only a short while before giving up the ghost in mid-flap--spiraling down, wilted and demised, on audience member's heads and scattered over the stage like rubbish, where they were then trodden upon. Alas, poor Brian...
-swiss

Re: New Orleans jazz funeral concept...plus other ideas/themes for the upcoming tour
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 7, 2021 11:29

swiss
Cooltoplady

Sorry - you're saying my idea is "tacky"...? How so? I'm thinking you must not have understood what I conveyed, which is the farthest thing from "tacky."

I'm thinking maybe people on IORR don't know what a New Orleans jazz funeral is like.

Swiss is turning this thread into a domestic dispute... eye rolling smiley
"What? You don't agree with me? Why!!? You don't even understand what I'm talking about!!! My idea is great!!" (blah-blah-blah). tongue sticking out smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home