Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What rock fans don't want to admit
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2021 05:13

Rock and Roll had a decent 40-year run from the mid-50s to the early 90s. That's much longer than big band music got. It's been on fumes ever since. The sad thing is nothing had really replaced it. New generations have failed to come up with a different sound.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 6, 2021 11:45

Paddy

None of those bands sound like the black Crowe’s!
The libertines were one of the last great rock n roll bands. A joy to behold live in the early 00s.

Indeed they were. For me, they're the last British band that truly mattered to me. I loved The Arctic Monkeys, who followed a few years later, but I have so much nostalgia for Up The Bracket.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 6, 2021 15:23

24FPS
Rock and Roll had a decent 40-year run from the mid-50s to the early 90s. That's much longer than big band music got. It's been on fumes ever since. The sad thing is nothing had really replaced it. New generations have failed to come up with a different sound.

My son, who is now 21 (who I took to see the Stones in 2013 & 2015 and he loved it), has been sampling all kinds of music lately and seems to be coming into his own regarding his own musical tastes (which is awesome to me). Several weeks back, he had a (what I would call) debate with me about the decline, and what he perceived to be the long ago death of rock and roll. His assessment was that rock and roll was replaced by hip hop and rap as a popular art form and proceeded to educate me (LOL) via samples of various popular hip hop, rap artists on his I phone. I politely listened and tried to be as hip a father as I could be. But I have to tell ya, I really must be old because all the samples sounded the same to me- all the representative males artists all swore in their songs (pretty much using the same dirty words) and sounded angry as hell. At 65, I'm sorry, but sadly you are not gonna teach this old dog some new musical tricks....(lol)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 15:35 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 6, 2021 15:32

Your son was right though, Sighunt. Hip-hop and rap is is bigger than rock and roll among the broader audience. It was a while since rock was number one.
The rock dinosaurs still attract big audiences when on tour. Mostly older people with thick wallets. Maybe U2 will be the last rock dinosaur? Or Metallica?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 6, 2021 15:52

What a depressing way to start a Monday! LOL

Actually, there is a lot of great music out there - just not on the radio. Having a 20s-aged son introduces me to some good stuff. I still love live music.

So many things have changed - the way music is delivered, production techniques (not as much talent required to sound good/commercial), rap in general, the decline of Rolling Stone magazine as an influence, deaths of so many great musicians, etc.

Also, back in the day real talent was required - the competition was tough (Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Dylan, Zep, etc = real skills.). Not so much today (Justin, Gaga, Britney, etc - Auto-Tune is a wonderful thing.).

I plan on listening to some Charlie Watts drumming today!

Date: September 6, 2021 15:59

Stoneage
Your son was right though, Sighunt. Hip-hop and rap is is bigger than rock and roll among the broader audience. It was a while since rock was number one.
The rock dinosaurs still attract big audiences when on tour. Mostly older people with thick wallets. Maybe U2 will be the last rock dinosaur? Or Metallica?

Stoneage, YOU ARE right, and my son (who is pretty astute) made some very convincing arguments (although I probably did not take kindly to his one-up man-ship in the process-it did sting the old man a little bit LOL).

Posted by: gavin95 ()
Date: September 6, 2021 18:46

I can't relate to any of this because I'm a young person and I don't hang out with anyone who cares about hip hop

We're Stones freaks, deadheads, and huge rock n roll fans of many other bands in between.

I sensationalize the whole hippie dream that came before me and find myself living it out in the present

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 18:46 by gavin95.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 6, 2021 22:01

gavin95
I can't relate to any of this because I'm a young person and I don't hang out with anyone who cares about hip hop

We're Stones freaks, deadheads, and huge rock n roll fans of many other bands in between.

I sensationalize the whole hippie dream that came before me and find myself living it out in the present

Right on, keep it going!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 22:02 by Woz.

Date: September 7, 2021 00:21

gavin95

I don't know how old you are, but boy, I wish a little bit of that sentiment would rub off on my kid (maybe you and him could trade places for a week LOL!) I'm just kidding, but good for you and your preference for the Stones and other great rock artists.

I'm certainly biased, but growing up in the 1960's and 1970's, my generation was blessed with so many great musical influences coming at us all at once, whether it was the British invasion, Motown/R & B, country rock, surf rock, psychedelia, you name it...I felt very fortunate being a young adult during this musical evolution. As corny and cliche as this is to say, these artists (Stones, Beatles, Dylan, etc) and their music were the soundtrack of my life, and probably kept me alive during dark times...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-07 00:39 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 7, 2021 05:57

Big Al
Paddy

None of those bands sound like the black Crowe’s!
The libertines were one of the last great rock n roll bands. A joy to behold live in the early 00s.

Indeed they were. For me, they're the last British band that truly mattered to me. I loved The Arctic Monkeys, who followed a few years later, but I have so much nostalgia for Up The Bracket.

The Libertines just immediately were part of the lineage of punk back to Pistols & the clash. Mick Jones production might have helped. But they wrote brilliant songs. But the chemistry Doherty & Barat has on stage back then was maybe the best I’ve seen in a band live. Great guitar work from both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-07 05:58 by Paddy.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 8, 2021 03:28

its only rock n roll but i like it

sorry couldn't resistgrinning smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 8, 2021 18:40

I was very lucky that 10 years ago quite by accident I discovered a new genre of music that I love passionately. It is a very rich field with a huge amount of material written and performed mostly by musicians in their 30s and 40s, although some have been going since the early 90s. It suits me better as a mature adult. Rock music was a big part of my adolescence and 20s and 30s, but I don't identify with it any longer.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 8, 2021 20:31

Bliss
I was very lucky that 10 years ago quite by accident I discovered a new genre of music that I love passionately. It is a very rich field with a huge amount of material written and performed mostly by musicians in their 30s and 40s, although some have been going since the early 90s. It suits me better as a mature adult. Rock music was a big part of my adolescence and 20s and 30s, but I don't identify with it any longer.

????????

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 8, 2021 20:34

Bliss

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home