Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What rock fans don't want to admit
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 4, 2021 16:41

Here's an interesting article that should generate some lively discussion on this forum (LOL): (although some of the author's sentiments have previously been touched upon through the years by various posters on this forum, even before Charlie's death)

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-05 04:07 by Sighunt.

Re: What rock fans don't want to admit
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 4, 2021 16:51

Nothing new there. But all styles of music eventually goes out and evolves into something new. It was a while since rock music was number one amongst the young generation.
The last dinosaur will perhaps be U2? But music will live on. In another form. The basic ingredients will never die.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 4, 2021 16:56

We just adore so much this old people because of their legacy, attitude and talent.
The real problem is that music created by young people nowadays is subpar, even worse than the music that those old people create nowadays.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 4, 2021 16:59

There's nothing to it. His premise is obvious to anyone not in denial. Rock music is barely relevant to the young people of today and its greatest stars are dying and their best work is long behind them. The author points to Billy Joel's decision to stop writing and states "if only it were more common."

The only discussion point is "Why does it bother the author so much?" Of course their best work is behind them, that's what it means to build a career that lasts decades. No one is under any obligation to listen to an artist's late period works or read an author's late period novels or watch a veteran director's late period films. They know they're not what they will be remembered for, but it's their job, their identity. They stay productive the same way people work until they can't any more. Better that our vapid music critic embrace new works by young people that excite him and write with enthusiasm and insight than simply play internet troll trying to push buttons in a desperate attempt to gain attention for himself.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 4, 2021 17:34

I'm almost 60 and I'm done with it. There's lots of good music out there, which my son turns me on to and can be found in places like bandcamp. But classic rock was over by 1980.
Yes, popular music is bad, but popular movies and TV are bad, too.
I have a great fear of being in the nursing home in 20 years and hearing Barracuda, by Heart.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2021 17:42

Good article, thanks for posting.

"This isn't an observation rooted in cruelty, misanthropy, or what today gets labeled "ageism." Few of us are doing our best, most creative work in our 70s,
and I don't mean to imply there's something shameful about rock stars shining less brightly as they enter and take up residence in old age".

And written by a knowledgable, honest, and sincere author.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 4, 2021 18:30

Rocky Dijon
There's nothing to it. His premise is obvious to anyone not in denial. Rock music is barely relevant to the young people of today and its greatest stars are dying and their best work is long behind them. The author points to Billy Joel's decision to stop writing and states "if only it were more common."

The only discussion point is "Why does it bother the author so much?" Of course their best work is behind them, that's what it means to build a career that lasts decades. No one is under any obligation to listen to an artist's late period works or read an author's late period novels or watch a veteran director's late period films. They know they're not what they will be remembered for, but it's their job, their identity. They stay productive the same way people work until they can't any more. Better that our vapid music critic embrace new works by young people that excite him and write with enthusiasm and insight than simply play internet troll trying to push buttons in a desperate attempt to gain attention for himself.

Well said, Rocky!
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 4, 2021 19:11

This occurred to me basically at the end of the seventies. Dried up and mostly dumb, there is better, much better, music out there if you just open your ears and stop taking coke and reds and ludes and drinking yourself to death.

jb

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 4, 2021 21:16

Regarding wonderboy's fear of being in a nursing home 20 years from now and hearing Barracuda by Heart, I have a fear of hearing this song at any time.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 4, 2021 21:27

What Damon Linker, Senior correspondent, doesn't get:
All people like different things and do what they want to do.
All people grow old. All people die.
Duh.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 4, 2021 21:28

dmay
Regarding wonderboy's fear of being in a nursing home 20 years from now and hearing Barracuda by Heart, I have a fear of hearing this song at any time.

LOL. It's unavoidable. You hear it in the grocery store. Hell, I've even heard the Ramones in the grocery store.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 4, 2021 22:38

KeithNacho
We just adore so much this old people because of their legacy, attitude and talent.
The real problem is that music created by young people nowadays is subpar, even worse than the music that those old people create nowadays.

The real problem is that there is plenty of great music out there made by young people, it's just much harder to find.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 4, 2021 23:04

AAAwwww wish Benjamin Button hadda been a rock star ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 4, 2021 23:14

All regular people will die and be forgotten when their children and grandchildren die but rockstars will live on forever as holograms

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 5, 2021 01:04

Sadly rock music is an indie genre on today's people taste, Drake's latest album had 230 million streams in the US on a single day, that's more than the streams from the whole Stones catalog in a full year, insane.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2021 02:08

Kurt Cobain blew rock and roll's brains out in April, 1994. The White Stripes flickered the candle a bit, but it's long over. It's a boutique music now. Like that jazz revival in the 70s.

Date: September 5, 2021 02:48

Streaming music, per David Crosby, is terrible regarding newer musicians and bands being discovered. He also has no love for Spotify calling the people who run it, in another interview I read with him, "thieving ba*tards". The interview linked below I am sure will have ticked off both Neil Young and Graham Nash once again regarding him.

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 5, 2021 02:52

i'm 29 never liked any of the music of my generation but as a kid loved classic rock due to my autism and anti social issue i didn't really have friends as a kid so i didn't have peers really to intruduce me to there music i had my mom (who was born in 57) and her friends and records and cds
i also had problems concentrating at school and found out if i listened to music through headphones i could drown out the world around me so i literally learned to read and write because of the music of the stones, ac/dc, billy joel, ccr, and yeah heart
and i would rather listen to pat boone do a cover of let's work then whatever the average gen z'ers considers music

Date: September 5, 2021 03:15

would rather listen to pat boone do a cover of let's work

HHHHHaaaaa pity he hadnt have cut a version ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2021 03:58

Oh my, temptation has gotten the better of me. Since his holy name was invoked, I could not resist letting you all share in Pat Boone's In A Metal Mood extravaganza. Here for your edification, edumication, snarkification, ongoing assault on your aural senses, Pat metals out. Here are two.

Smoke On The Water

[www.youtube.com]

Paradise City

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 5, 2021 04:09

Rocky Dijon

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter....thumbs up

Date: September 5, 2021 04:11

Fanks dmay .....

It makes ya wonder if Pat baby
coulda knocked Lavatory Lil inta somethang listenable ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 5, 2021 04:34

Hey hey, my my,
Rock n Roll can never die.
There's more to the picture,
Than meets the eye.

Some of its Icons are passing on, but they were media created anyway.

Every generation has some girls and boys who want to drink beer, smoke weed and make lots of noise in a garage/basement/shed once a week.

Pre covid there was weekly punk shows in an abandoned building directly opposite a legit venue here in Vancouver that these kids rigged for electricity themselves.It’s pretty much the 70s again for these people. It’s as underground as it can be. It won’t be coming up anytime soon.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 5, 2021 10:38

Underground is where its at.

jb

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 5, 2021 11:00

The early 00’s has proven to be the last meaningful hurrah for rock: The Strokes, The White Stripes and The Killers, stateside; The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand and The Arctic Monkeys from the U.K.

Date: September 5, 2021 11:03

.... I ain't admittin' ta nuffin' ....

......................... Rockman 1963

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 5, 2021 11:57

Big Al
The early 00’s has proven to be the last meaningful hurrah for rock: The Strokes, The White Stripes and The Killers, stateside; The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand and The Arctic Monkeys from the U.K.

Imo all the names you mention are terrible : retro-sounding acts who thought they could "resurrect" rock by mimicking the sonic style of the 70's. The Black Crowes (yawn!) paved the way for these. Radiohead at least tried to do sth new.

The creativity in rock music switched to 2 sub-genres in the mid-80's and early 90's : heavy-metal and industrial.
No wonder why Metallica NIN or Ministry (then Rammstein who combined the 2 genres) were exciting to see live in the 90's.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 5, 2021 16:06

The author has some points: The era of rock music is reaching its end, and it is true that most musicians in the world of rock'n'roll reached their peak rather early in live. Their personalities developed and bloomed fast. Yet I am glad that the Stones recorded albums like Bridges to Babylon, Steel Wheels, Undercover and even Dirty Work. They are not as good as the golden four, but I enjoy them. The Stones have played terrific concerts through the decades, I would have missed a lot, if they had retired in 1978. They are great performers. To my taste, they already overstretched their limit a bit, and after Charlie Watts' death they keep on stretching. They live their lives as I live mine, and of course they are completely free to stretch as long as they want.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 5, 2021 16:44

Excellent article. Thanks for posting. I wonder if thats why punk music died. They were no longer angry rebelling youth.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 5, 2021 22:06

dcba
Big Al

Imo all the names you mention are terrible : retro-sounding acts who thought they could "resurrect" rock by mimicking the sonic style of the 70's. The Black Crowes (yawn!) paved the way for these. Radiohead at least tried to do sth new.

The creativity in rock music switched to 2 sub-genres in the mid-80's and early 90's : heavy-metal and industrial.
No wonder why Metallica NIN or Ministry (then Rammstein who combined the 2 genres) were exciting to see live in the 90's.

None of those bands sound like the black Crowe’s!
The libertines were one of the last great rock n roll bands. A joy to behold live in the early 00s.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home