Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Hoping for European stadium tour next summer
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 3, 2021 18:21

Charlie's statement when he bowed out of this tour, that he looked forward to getting back and rejoining the group "later this year".. still has me wondering if they don't have something else up their sleeve for later this year.

A few weeks break after Austin would have them starting sometime mid December if that were the case.. Perhaps they're shooting for one last time around the globe, landing in England for the anniversary.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: October 3, 2021 18:24

Four Stone Walls
I think that they will have 'moved on' by then.

But it would of course be great to see Bill - and Mick T - at a 60th show.

I got the impression Bill was quite hacked off at only playing one number last time round and inferred he wouldn't be doing it again. I don't know how forgiving Mick Taylor is. I was pretty shocked to read amidst the Charlie tributes that Mick Taylor was expected to get the 'crew bus' until Charlie offered him lifts in his limo last time. It would be a real shame if there is a 60th show in the UK especially, if all living members weren't able to play a part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-03 18:25 by Lady Jayne.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2021 18:45

Four Stone Walls

Hyde Park 2013 would have already been a nice opportunity .... 1-2 songs each in their original lineup with Bill Wyman and/or Mick Taylor - but they didn't.

Date: October 3, 2021 21:15

Lady Jayne

I got the impression Bill was quite hacked off at only playing one number last time round and inferred he wouldn't be doing it again.

From [iorr.org] :

"Wyman documents the frustrations that followed. They began when he was told he could only play two songs at the O2.

'And they wouldn’t tell me which two,' he says, managing to sound both indignant and unemotional at the same time. 'It really disappointed me. I said, "Why don’t you let me do the last five, and then your guy [Darryl Jones] can do the encore?" No, no, no. So the day before the rehearsal I’m going through 50 Stones songs, thinking they’ll want me to do my signature ones like Miss You and Jumping Jack Flash. Then they tell me I’m doing Honky Tonk Women and It’s Only Rock’n’Roll.'

The torments didn’t stop there. 'Two days later I went to the O2 for the soundcheck. I had to use his [Jones’s] amplifier and he plays completely differently from me. He plays with his fingers, hard, I play with my thumb, lightly. I didn’t have time to check out his amp settings. Then Mick says, "We’ve got to rehearse with Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck and this girl [Florence Welch] and there’s no time for a soundcheck - for you." In the end I just went on stage, plugged in and hoped for the best.'

What was the reason for such treatment at the hands of his former brothers in arms? 'Maybe they were punishing me for leaving the band,' offers Wyman, to cries of protest from his personal assistant, who’s sitting at a table nearby. 'They never wanted me to leave. When I came off stage and went to join my wife and daughters in the pit, the bass player started doing Miss You! He’s playing all my parts - and not as well as I thought he should. He’s playing the octaves as single notes. And then Mick starts saying what a great bass player he is, right in front of me. "Look at Darryl, isn’t he fantastic?" goes Mick.'

Wyman shakes his head. "They never forgave me for leaving". " -- [TheAustralian.com.au] - 15-Jun-2015 - (paywalled).

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 3, 2021 21:33

Nikkei
They try to make it sound like he was all "you just have to keep it going" when realistically he was more like "whatever"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-03 21:48 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 3, 2021 21:40

I'm not sure I get the girlfriend analogy. I meant Charlie was whatever about the prospect of them doing the shows without him. We all know him in that regard, he's been vocal about it. He says whatever, Mick says Oh he absolutely wanted us to

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 3, 2021 21:49

Nikkei
I'm not sure I get the girlfriend analogy. I meant Charlie was whatever about the prospect of them doing the shows without him. We all know him in that regard, he's been vocal about it. He says whatever, Mick says Oh he absolutely wanted us to

Sorry about that Nikkei, I misunderstood you there.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 3, 2021 22:43

Irix
Lady Jayne

I got the impression Bill was quite hacked off at only playing one number last time round and inferred he wouldn't be doing it again.

From [iorr.org] :

"Wyman documents the frustrations that followed. They began when he was told he could only play two songs at the O2.

'And they wouldn’t tell me which two,' he says, managing to sound both indignant and unemotional at the same time. 'It really disappointed me. I said, "Why don’t you let me do the last five, and then your guy [Darryl Jones] can do the encore?" No, no, no. So the day before the rehearsal I’m going through 50 Stones songs, thinking they’ll want me to do my signature ones like Miss You and Jumping Jack Flash. Then they tell me I’m doing Honky Tonk Women and It’s Only Rock’n’Roll.'

The torments didn’t stop there. 'Two days later I went to the O2 for the soundcheck. I had to use his [Jones’s] amplifier and he plays completely differently from me. He plays with his fingers, hard, I play with my thumb, lightly. I didn’t have time to check out his amp settings. Then Mick says, "We’ve got to rehearse with Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck and this girl [Florence Welch] and there’s no time for a soundcheck - for you." In the end I just went on stage, plugged in and hoped for the best.'

What was the reason for such treatment at the hands of his former brothers in arms? 'Maybe they were punishing me for leaving the band,' offers Wyman, to cries of protest from his personal assistant, who’s sitting at a table nearby. 'They never wanted me to leave. When I came off stage and went to join my wife and daughters in the pit, the bass player started doing Miss You! He’s playing all my parts - and not as well as I thought he should. He’s playing the octaves as single notes. And then Mick starts saying what a great bass player he is, right in front of me. "Look at Darryl, isn’t he fantastic?" goes Mick.'

Wyman shakes his head. "They never forgave me for leaving". " -- [TheAustralian.com.au] - 15-Jun-2015 - (paywalled).

So which Bill Wyman book is the better read, Stone Alone (1990) or Rolling With The Stones (2002) ?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 3, 2021 22:52

Irix
Lady Jayne

From [iorr.org] :

Ok. Interesting.

I don't want to get too embroiled with this here.

Perhaps Keith wanted Bill in more than Mick did. And Mick made it on his terms.

At least Bill is right about being better than Darryl.

Whether Mick will change, we shall see. Or, as you say, whether Bill will even want to.

We can hope and dream.

ps I did see an O2 2112 show and you are right, you could not really hear Bill.

But it didn't matter much - he looked and felt right. And Keith gave him good attention.
( nor could you hear Darryl that clearly either)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-04 00:22 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 4, 2021 14:45

Irix
Four Stone Walls

Hyde Park 2013 would have already been a nice opportunity .... 1-2 songs each in their original lineup with Bill Wyman and/or Mick Taylor - but they didn't.

Mick Taylor DID play with the Stones in Hyde Park 2013 - on MR and Satisfaction.

Date: October 4, 2021 14:50

Meise

Mick Taylor DID play with the Stones in Hyde Park 2013 - on MR and Satisfaction.

I know - but that's not what I meant. The idea was playing e.g Tracks from the Taylor-era in the respective lineup, the same regarding Bill. So no Ronnie and/or Darryl at some Tracks.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: October 4, 2021 19:31

Maybe The Perfect solutions is to play 4-5 huge shows like in Hyde Park, instead of doing tour in Europe.
In Other hand i see these guys are in great shape. Even Keith is playin very well this tour, so maybe it's not the time to quit.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:20

Irix
Lady Jayne

From [iorr.org] :

I know there is the human condition and everybody has feelings but I get tired of reading this childish, unforgiving bs from adult, even senior musicians. Just like Roger Waters and David Gilmour. Poor taste.

Now on topic, a european Tour next year, yes! But without special guests, much less Stones from half a century ago. The nostalgic factor is already happening with those Set lists grinning smiley

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 5, 2021 14:51

Ok, calipowatsit, you want a European tour.

You want nostalgic setlists but no Stones over 50 playing them.

You want a cover band to tour?

Or is the idea to have the existing touring ensemble and stage show and substitute younger performers for Mick, Ron and Keith?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-05 15:30 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: October 5, 2021 15:52

MisterDDDD
Charlie's statement when he bowed out of this tour, that he looked forward to getting back and rejoining the group "later this year".. still has me wondering if they don't have something else up their sleeve for later this year.

A few weeks break after Austin would have them starting sometime mid December if that were the case.. Perhaps they're shooting for one last time around the globe, landing in England for the anniversary.

I'm pretty sure Charlie was referring to rejoining the current tour if he was well enough to

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 5, 2021 16:22

bengigan
MisterDDDD

I'm pretty sure Charlie was referring to rejoining the current tour if he was well enough to

Could be.. I recall a bit of discussion here on that, but several statements seemed to make clear he wouldn't be attempting to make any shows on this leg.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 5, 2021 17:30

Timeline Europe 2022 (maybe)

Rumors Jan, announcement Feb, Tour start May 2022

Rumors Feb, announcement Feb, Tour start May 2018
Rumors April, announcement May, Tour start Sep 2017
Rumors Feb, announcement Mar, Tour start May 2014

Of course they could use christmas already to sell tickets to the tour. But we all hope they have a new record (with Charlie!) coming out pretty soon(ish).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-05 17:40 by schwonek.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home