Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Hoping for European stadium tour next summer
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 3, 2021 22:40

treaclefingers
bv
The NO COVID 2022 TOUR. I am in.

And not wanting to be inflammatory in any way, but just wondering when "it's over"?

If Keith were not able to be there, in your mind if Mick and Ronnie still wanted to tour as the stones would that fly?

Or Keith and Ronnie, with no Mick?

I mean they could clearly still tour, but when is it no longer a "Rolling Stones" tour?

Is Mick the last man standing? Clearly it isn't Ronnie.

Really interesting questions.....In the last few years Ronnie has become much more important in the band - in fact, a music producer friend recently said that "Ronnie carries the band now", and I actually think that's true..now that he is sober his guitar playing is really strong and consistent and he has kept things going on stage when Keith has had troubles....so its actually not inconceivable that it could still be the Stones with just Mick and Ronnie. I mean, I am a guitarist and a massive Keith fan, and I am not in anyway diminishing the importance of Keith or his guitar playing style to the Stones sound - but I do think that if they had a session guitarist playing the 5 string open G riffs in the background and Ronnie and Mick could keep it going up front. I am sure that 75% of people at concerts wouldn't know the difference

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: September 3, 2021 22:48

john lomax
treaclefingers
bv

And not wanting to be inflammatory in any way, but just wondering when "it's over"?

If Keith were not able to be there, in your mind if Mick and Ronnie still wanted to tour as the stones would that fly?

I mean they could clearly still tour, but when is it no longer a "Rolling Stones" tour?

Really interesting questions.....In the last few years Ronnie has become much more important in the band - in fact, a music producer friend recently said that "Ronnie carries the band now", and I actually think that's true..now that he is sober his guitar playing is really strong and consistent and he has kept things going on stage when Keith has had troubles....so its actually not inconceivable that it could still be the Stones with just Mick and Ronnie. I mean, I am a guitarist and a massive Keith fan, and I am not in anyway diminishing the importance of Keith or his guitar playing style to the Stones sound - but I do think that if they had a session guitarist playing the 5 string open G riffs in the background and Ronnie and Mick could keep it going up front. I am sure that 75% of people at concerts wouldn't know the difference

Ronnie is the unsung hero imo.

That's, in part, why I'm not sure if Mick and Keith would continue as the Stones by themselves.

If they did, I think they would need another ridiculously strong guitarist such as Mick Taylor or someone on that level imo.

Not only is Ronnie a strong player, but he's also part of the entertainment part of the show, as in beyond the music (like Keith and Mick), that would be very hard to replace from my perspective.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-03 22:49 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 3, 2021 23:21

treaclefingers

I think Charlie described the situation accurately and best in this interview in 2018.
Posted in several threads but his answer to the question about him potentially retiring "If Mick or Keith said that, I think we would (be done)"

"We can get another drummer, another guitar player, would be a nightmare replacing Darryl (puts Darryl's value above his or Ronnie's surprisingly).

Goes on to reiterate.. "Mick or Keith retires, it's over."

Until then, it's their band, if Ronnie (god forbid) had to leave, they could replace him, same with Darryl, and it would still be The Rolling Stones.
Put as many asterisks as one wants to on their name, as long as Mick and Keith are there it will always be The Rolling Stones.

Charlie's comments on it starting @1:40 mark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-03 23:24 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: September 3, 2021 23:30

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers

I think Charlie described the situation accurately and best in this interview in 2018.
Posted in several threads but his answer to the question about him potentially retiring "If Mick or Keith said that, I think we would (be done)"

"We can get another drummer, another guitar player, would be a nightmare replacing Darryl (puts Darryl's value above his or Ronnie's surprisingly).

Goes on to reiterate.. "Mick or Keith retires, it's over."

Until then, it's their band, if Ronnie (god forbid) had to leave, they could replace him, same with Darryl, and it would still be The Rolling Stones.
Put as many asterisks as one wants to on their name, as long as Mick and Keith are there it will always be The Rolling Stones.

Charlie's comments on it starting @1:40 mark.

I was talking a friend of mine at a concert this weekend and he made an interesting remark. We were talking about this Charlie interview and he said John and Paul were kind of the same way about the Beatles. I've never seen Anthology, but apparently it suggests that Paul and John treated Ringo and George as part of their supporting cast.

Basically, we were talking about the Stones potentially touring as Mick and Keith and supporting cast in the future and I said that I don't think the Beatles would have done that. My friend basically said, don't be so true based on Anthology, etc.

All that is to say that whether we like it or not, I think Charlie is right and I suspect that we will see the Rolling Stones as Mick and Keith with supporting cast at some point in the future.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2021 23:45

That would be assuming Ronnie will no longer be in the band for whatever reason.
But even with Ronnie as a member, and now that Charlie is gone, it's already "Mick and Keith with supporting cast" -
at least as far as live shows are concerned where apprx. 75% or more of the songs in the setlists are from the pre-Ronnie era.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 4, 2021 00:05

Meh.
Could care less really about who played what on the original when they play live.
A huge part of their legacy is being the greatest Live band in the world, for the longest period. One that perhaps even supersedes their catalogue.

Charlie not on drums for IORR etc somehow gives him less ownership of the song after the countless times he's played it live? Nope.

Bill not on bass for Heartbreaker? Didn't care when I saw him perform it live, don't care when I've seen Darryl do it.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 4, 2021 00:23

Mo Charlie - No Stones. For me its over. They are history. Mick, Keith and Ronnie may keep pn playing and they will fo their best. Of course. They will sound great I guess. But it won't be the Stones.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 5, 2021 20:27

Maybe Bill should join in for the last European tour! Woudn't that be something?

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 5, 2021 20:36

rollingon
Maybe Bill should join in for the last European tour! Woudn't that be something?

I think from a musical standpoint Darryl + Steve will probably sound better together. Bill is also 84 now, he deserves to live a peaceful life without touring.

Date: September 5, 2021 20:37

rollingon

And Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 5, 2021 21:30

Hairball
rollingon

And Mick Taylor.

Plus a hologram of Charlie?

Date: September 5, 2021 21:32

Irix
Hairball
rollingon

And Mick Taylor.

Brian also...

Date: September 5, 2021 21:35

Hairball
Irix
Hairball
rollingon

And Mick Taylor.

Brian also...

Stu on Piano ....

.... and Bobby on Saxophone ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-05 21:40 by Irix.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: September 5, 2021 21:37

Are there already venues and festivals booked in Europe for next summer? Read some stuff about a Festival in France on June 26, but that was all before Charlie passed away. Are their any other rumors? It will be the last time seeing the glimmer twins live on stage I guess. With a Big Bang and a goodbye after 60 years in their own London? Of course all in honour to mister Watts.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 5, 2021 21:42

There was a French news story about the band fielding offers for festival dates. And yes, it was before Charlie's passing.

[iorr.org]

I think BV mentioned long ago they have venue holds for Europe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-05 21:46 by Topi.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 5, 2021 21:49

After reading the past 3 pages its laughable, posters saying crap like Keith has a trigger reaction to playing that needs Charlie, only Charlie can trigger him, like he hasn't played brilliantly with Steve, in fact Keith plays brilliant with any musicians he has played with, countless drummers over recent decades, its a pity some posters know nothing about how this music is played or all the incredible variations possible for this music.
Grow up man, Mick sings, that's easy with any drummer . Keith and Ronnie adapt and play with lots of musicians, Steve Jordan is a piece of cake, like falling off a log for these boys.
Haven't posters seen Keith play with others, do they only watch the Stones, that's a bit sad. Watch Keith play with Sheryl Crows band, it's really something.
[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-05 22:04 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: September 5, 2021 22:12

Interesting video...from 1999...alot has changed since 22 years ago....Keith was alot more agile back then...not a big fan of Sheryl Crow and her band...

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 5, 2021 23:40

Hairball
Interesting video...from 1999...alot has changed since 22 years ago....Keith was alot more agile back then...not a big fan of Sheryl Crow and her band...

OK a more recent example then, tell me what's wrong with Keith's playing at the end here digging in with Clapton.
As good as any playing with the Stones in the same year, better actually.
[youtu.be]

And again here singing better than I've ever heard him with the Stones
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-05 23:51 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: StonesLO ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:50

Hi all,

As the US tour is underway, very successfully too from what I've watched, they sound great and I love the tributes for Charlie. I'm jumping the gun but wondering has anyone here heard any more whisperings as to what may be happening in 2022....

Date: October 1, 2021 13:15

StonesLO

I'm jumping the gun but wondering has anyone here heard any more whisperings as to what may be happening in 2022....

Mick Jagger: "I don’t know. I mean, anything could happen. You know, if things are good next year and everyone’s feeling good about touring, I’m sure we’ll do shows. I’m just trying to concentrate on this tour now."

From the interview 23-Sep-2021 with David Fricke of Rolling Stone - [iorr.org] , [Variety.com] , [www.RollingStone.com] .

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:52

strat72
24FPS
strat72
They should just do a quick tour of The UK next summer.

In truth, it's a shame that the upcoming US shows aren't in The UK. The US is not ready for it, as tickets sales have shown. There are still to many nervous Nellies there that need more time to get a grip on things.

We have Nervous Nellies because of too many Idiot Idas who won't wear masks, and/or get vaccinated to help America get over this. Oh, and I'm sure the U.K. is right on top of Covid. Unless you read the papers or watch the news.

I suspect that you are one of the nervous Nellies 24. I understand why and I'm not being critical, just factual. There is no Covid competition.

Let me explain what I meant by The UK being ahead of the curve. Firstly, when I say The UK I mean the public not the wretched Metropolitan media.

The public in The UK have got to the point where they no longer think like you. They KNOW Covid is going nowhere. They know we will never be "over this" completely. The vast majority take precautions such as the vaccines and some make their rightful choice not to do so. The Public now except that the virus will kill a small amount of people every single day.

We know it, but we are cracking on and getting back to normal and if The Stones were playing in The UK those tickets would be sold for that reason.

It will take time for people in The US and other countries to catch up and come to the same realisation that the public in The UK have. The poor Australians still think they can have zero Covid. They can't.... Yes they can keep the infection rate low, but that means locking your country from the outside world and being in a constant cycle of lockdowns.

That is no way to live.

I tip my hat to you guys! You still hold onto your freedom so much more than most countries in Europe (especially in the EU). I for one will buy a ticket!

Re: All respect for Charlie but I'm really hoping for European stadium tour next summer
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:53

MisterDDDD
NilsHolgersson
Is Tony Chapman still alive? Maybe he could join them for their 60th anniversary.. otherwise the only "60 anniversary" members will be Mick and Keith

This has been the case since Bill left in '94.
Just sayin. Charlie joined in '63.

As with the 40th 50th, etc. it's The Rolling Stones, the band, that is turning 60 next July.[/quote

Finally, good to see one get the fact that it is the bands 60th anniversary, not any spesific memeber.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 1, 2021 14:49

Wild Slivovitz
strat72
24FPS
strat72
They should just do a quick tour of The UK next summer.

In truth, it's a shame that the upcoming US shows aren't in The UK. The US is not ready for it, as tickets sales have shown. There are still to many nervous Nellies there that need more time to get a grip on things.

We have Nervous Nellies because of too many Idiot Idas who won't wear masks, and/or get vaccinated to help America get over this. Oh, and I'm sure the U.K. is right on top of Covid. Unless you read the papers or watch the news.

I suspect that you are one of the nervous Nellies 24. I understand why and I'm not being critical, just factual. There is no Covid competition.

Let me explain what I meant by The UK being ahead of the curve. Firstly, when I say The UK I mean the public not the wretched Metropolitan media.

The public in The UK have got to the point where they no longer think like you. They KNOW Covid is going nowhere. They know we will never be "over this" completely. The vast majority take precautions such as the vaccines and some make their rightful choice not to do so. The Public now except that the virus will kill a small amount of people every single day.

We know it, but we are cracking on and getting back to normal and if The Stones were playing in The UK those tickets would be sold for that reason.

It will take time for people in The US and other countries to catch up and come to the same realisation that the public in The UK have. The poor Australians still think they can have zero Covid. They can't.... Yes they can keep the infection rate low, but that means locking your country from the outside world and being in a constant cycle of lockdowns.

That is no way to live.

I tip my hat to you guys! You still hold onto your freedom so much more than most countries in Europe (especially in the EU). I for one will buy a ticket!

The Reading and Leeds and Isle of Wight (usually in June) festivals went ahead in August and September. Lots of checks that people were either vaccinated or had a very recent clear test, but big crowds and not all of them masked. I gave the IOW a miss this year as there were no headliners I was desperate to see, but I think we accept that this thing is never going away entirely. Unless something like a very bad new varient happens, I think the UK festival circuit will be up and running next year.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 1, 2021 15:17

john lomax
treaclefingers
bv

Sorry john...but if you think a session player could replicate the feel of the Stones, you're having a laugh winking smiley

Keith's touch and timing are unique and even at his worst ...and without bill and charlie...it's that which makes the Stones still sound like the Stones.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 15:52

If Europe doesn’t want it, please return to US in 2022. I will happily attend several shows. Take my money!

Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:59

No idea when the FRolling Stones will stop obviously but it would kind of be perfect if they did next year after a 60th anniversary European tour which finishes in London, any of the London stadiums would be perfect but it would be pretty cool to do a couple of shows at Wembley stadium which they still haven't played at since it re-opened in 2007 smiling smiley

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 1, 2021 20:15

24FPS
Hairball
Of the core four, last tour Keith was the "weakest link" for lack of a better term, and don't know how he and the band will carry on without Charlie the true heartbeat and engine of the band.
Charlie (and Ronnie) always helped cover for Keith and his mistakes, and/or made those mistakes less obvious. No matter how well Keith and Steve Jordan know each other,
or how many times they've played or recorded together, Jordan has never sat on the throne of the Stones and he'll certainly have his work cut out for him...
Sure he will play OK, and there will be shades of the Stones sound, but with Charlie gone another key/signature element of the band will be missing just as it's been since Bill left.

smileys with beer This isn't most bands. You can't plug in a new player and make it work. They were lucky Ronnie could do it. Darryl didn't work. Whatever they do, the band is going in a different direction, whether they want to or not.

Sad but true

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 00:58

Sincerely hope they do tour over here in 2022.

Rather than having endless back and forth debates on here we need to savour Mick, Keith and Ronnie playing whilst we still can. As we’ve seen this week they can still put on a fantastic show.

Let’s be grateful we can see them live, you’d be a fool to pass that chance up. Pretty soon we won’t have that opportunity.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 2, 2021 01:32

Irix
Hairball
Irix
Hairball
rollingon

And Mick Taylor.

Brian also...

Stu on Piano ....

.... and Bobby on Saxophone ....

And Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston…it will be called The Rolling Through the Ages Tour

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 2, 2021 06:25

It’d be cool if they did a run of dates in London at the O2.... I’d like one more indoor gig.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home