Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Velvet Underground Documentary, Streaming and in Theaters, Oct. 15th
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 17, 2021 00:54

I agree, without Lou Reed, it's really John Cale's version of things (as diplomatic as he is), with a little input from Mo. Shame there's a lack of live synched footage, and even a bit paltry on pics from the post-Cale era. They also could've talked about the 1993 reunion and why it fizzled (Apparently Lou Reed said:"Cale and I can't stand each other"). Still, a worthy watch if you're a VU fan.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2021 01:00

wish they coulda interviewed
that man Lou was always waitin for ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 17, 2021 01:03

Rockman
wish they coulda interviewed
that man Lou was always waitin for ......

If they'd offered him more than $26 maybe there'd be a chance.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 17, 2021 02:31

Fun Fact: $26 in 1967 would be the equivalent of $213 in today's money.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: October 17, 2021 15:13

Saw the movie last night, nothing new here, especially for hard core fans. Started off a little slow and pretty much just glossed over the Yule era.

Best line was "We hated hippies", best interview was with Jonathan Richmond

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 17, 2021 20:19

For those that didn't notice, this had it's own thread...a Moe Tucker-centric YouTube doc on VU.

Quite superbly done I thought.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 17, 2021 22:09

tatters
RollingFreak
Was unfortunately pretty underwhelmed by this. The obvious sadness is that Lou Reed isn't alive to speak on it. I know thats obviously unavoidable, but listening to John and Maureen reflect on this time now I'd love to hear Lou's thoughts on this official document. I know there's a million interviews of him discussing the Underground, but just feels incomplete without his input. I'd also kinda argue without Lou it put too much emphasis on the John Cale side of things. Not that he wasn't massively important, he was of course. I guess that his backstory and way of talking about the band felt less relevant. Lou could maybe have stayed more on topic.

On that note, I also thought pretty much the first hour was just a huge lead up that didn't super payoff. 30 minutes in it was like "ok, already, get to the band and get to New York!" I thought there was a lot of wasted time there, and less than focusing on the albums once it got there, it was more focused on the scene. It was a choice, and I get it, but I feel there's been more than enough said about that whole Warhol era. It didn't get as into it as other things I've seen, and I know thats part of the story, but just feel like it could have been weaved in differently. Was hoping for more stories like Moe Tucker's random stopping of drumming in Heroin and others of that nature that we may not have heard before.

Lastly, and unsurprisingly, Doug Yule was fairly glossed over, all things considered. They seem to always do that to him, which is sad because he was part of half the band's history. It wasn't the groundbreaking era, but the songs on those two VU albums he's on are fantastic and he sings a lot! Sad that he didn't get any on screen camera time, and in general I thought all the interviews were fairly mundane and oddly chosen. Some people were really interesting and good finds. Others felt sorta random and pointless, especially for an official doc. I also thought the way they conducted the interviews and a lot of the footage and presentation was strange and offputting. Kinda like a knockoff Woodstock. Again, a choice which is to be respected of something of this series (you gotta make it your own) but just didn't think paid off. My dad and I were both fairly underwhelmed, although always good to see Lou as always revered. Just had way higher expectations based on the hype and I thought reviews coming in that were good.

Thanks for the review. I haven't seen it yet. I'm hoping to catch it Sunday at the local "art house" theater here in Ann Arbor. A couple of thoughts: The story of the VU is very much a tale of two bands; the band that made the first two albums with Cale, and the band that made the third and fourth albums with Yule. I consider both versions of the band to be equally great and equally important, so I have to wonder if maybe Cale offered his involvement with this film only on the condition that 1965-68 era be given the far greater emphasis. One of the reviews posted in this thread makes it sound as if Yule was interviewed for the film, but only for voice-over purposes and does not appear in any on-camera interview. Regardless of his environmental commitments, or whatever, it's hard to believe Doug couldn't have found a few hours of spare time to appear in a filmed interview if a certain someone (Cale) had given the okay for it. The other thing I find frustrating is the apparent absence of any decent live performance concert footage. I guess that shouldn't surprise me. If such footage existed it surely would have surfaced before now, but considering that Andy Warhol was a filmmaker (of sorts); it's literally the second thing listed in his bio after "painter," you'd think he might have taken the trouble to shoot a professional quality film of one of his band's performances. It certainly would have been far more interesting than watching the lights flickering on and off in the windows of the Empire State Building for 24 hours.

[www.youtube.com]

Agreed on most of this. If Doug Yule has said he declined, thats one thing and I totally get it. But it was unclear if his vocal contribution was new or old (I guess probably old) and the fact that they ALWAYS leave him out of things felt probably not like a command from Cale but just business as usual for the VU. Also, I do want to be clear I totally GET why they always spend more time on the Cale Years. That is arguably the way more interesting era, and its the beginning and thats the real sound. That drone is the VU sound. After Cale, it really was just a backing band for Lou Reed's ideas, and basically you see the solo artist he blossomed into becoming. I totally get why the early years are always more in focus, similar to say why a Genesis documentary is more Peter Gabriel focus. THAT'S the legend, and I totally get it having its day in court. I think a cursory 20-30 minutes on the Yule years is definitely warranted though, and more importantly something that ISN'T talked about as much. That would very much be new, but I always get why the Cale years are what they are and I'd never downplay them. If I had my druthers, the doc would be 20 minutes their 4 beginnings, 20 minutes forming the band, 30 minutes the Cale Years and those first two albums, 20 minutes on the Yule years, and 20 minutes their reunion/Hall Of Fame/their impact. Its a more conventional doc, but I feel it tells the whole story. Oh well, as everyone has said, still a definitely interesting watch for any VU fans.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 17, 2021 23:50

As a side note & FYI —

Lou Reed toured Japan eight times, in 1975, 86, 90, 92, 96, 2000, 03 and 04. 86 and 04 were festive appearances. I saw him eight times, 86-03. All of the shows I attended were superb without exception, the best being 92 (the ‘Magic And Loss’ tour). His last show in Japan was the Friday headliner of Fuji Rock Festival 2004 (I wasn’t there, unfortunately).

Nico toured Japan twice, in 1986 and 88, around the final years of her life. In 86, I attended the first of the two sets she played at a small club in Kyoto, the tour opener, watched the legend singing and playing the harmonium in awe. After the show, as I entered the art book shop on the ground floor in the same building that housed the venue, I encountered James Young, keyboardist of Nico’s group Faction and future author of the memoir of his tour days with her, browsing a picture book. He told me, “We played in bad sound,” which I didn’t notice at site. Sometime afterwords I heard she sang Femme Fatale in the second set (which she didn’t in the first), which made me cringe. 88 was a double headliner advertised as John Cale and Nico. Saw them at a 900 seater in Osaka, that was the last date of the tour (and would later turn out to be Nico’s last ever live performance in Japan). Nico took the stage first, with Faction now augmented by an added guitarist. She finished her set with the encore, Famme Fatale, I felt the unfinished business completed. In his book, Young reflects their second Japanese tour was not as good as the first one, but that’s not how I felt back then — I thought the show was equally good in a different measure. Can’t remember Cale’s set that much as I don’t have his solo albums, except that he played Dying On The Vine and I’m Waiting For The Man. Many of us expected Nico would join Cale and perform together, but it wasn’t to be — and left me with another unfinished business, which would never be fulfilled this time.

Only four months after, I heard Nico had died in Ibiza. I was sad but not surprised that much to be honest — not unlike when I heard the news of Amy Winehouses’ passing.

These are my quasi-VU experiences. Thank you for reading, and sorry if you are bored with my ramblings — or ‘memoirs’ on my part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-18 05:13 by RisingStone.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 18, 2021 02:31

Watched it today with an audience of fewer than 20 people in a tiny "screening annex" that seats around 70. While I agree with RollingFreak that the first half of the film is unrelentingly tedious, it seemed to me that the tedium only abates when the chronology finally breaks free of the all-pervasive first album. Things really only start getting interesting when it begins to delve into later events, like the disastrous west coast tour, the White Light/White Heat album, the split with Cale, the third and fourth albums, and finally, Reed's decision to leave the band in 1970, effectively ending their career forever.

And while it's sad that he's no longer with us, I wasn't particularly bothered by the fact that we don't get to see a craggy, 80-year-old Lou opining on how his work with the Velvets never got the recognition it deserved. It makes perfect sense to me that we see him only as a young man, at the height of his creative powers, because the truth is, even if there had never been a solo career, even if he had retired from the music business in 1970 and spent the rest of his life working as a bookkeeper or something, his work with the Velvet Underground would still have made him a legend, even if it never made him an especially wealthy legend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-18 02:56 by tatters.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 18, 2021 02:37

I think Sterling Morrison’s contributions were poorly represented in the Documentary. All those squealing guitars on those tracks wasn’t Lou alone. It was dare I say, the ancient art of weaving with a hefty dash of feedback.

Date: October 21, 2021 01:33

Been to the cinema. Reading this thread, I had lowered the bar for the film. It was good enough for me and worth visiting the theatre. I like VU but I am not a dedicated fan or hardcore, after all. For an almost first timer for a VU documentary of this sort, it was informative overall despite the shortcomings that were pointed out by other posters here.

It is shown in the two different rooms of the local art cinema house, 280 and 97 seaters, depending on the screening time. I chose the bigger one. Thirty spectators in total including me (I counted).

In the early years of Reed’s musical activities, the film introduces the Primitives with dance single The Ostrich being played over. I vividly recollect New Order performed that song for the encore, Osaka ‘87. Not knowing the tune back then, I was intrigued by it and wondered what it was, it didn’t sound like their new song and I assumed that was a cover although I didn’t have a clue whose original it was.

The punters responded most to Tucker’s comments, “We hated hippies” and so on, which evoked laugher from the floor. I reflect to myself, though; after all, in a bigger picture, VU were still part of the 60’s — three of the male members, Cale, Morrison and Yule sported a long hair, that symbolized all things hippie, and later Reed joined them. I can’t bring myself to take their anti-hippy stance 100% seriously, even if any of the members believed it themselves.

Johnathan Richman’s interview is an eye opener. He is so passionate when he talks about the band. Seeing them live 60-70 times in person makes him a living legend. I hope one day he will write and publish his VU experiences.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 21, 2021 01:52

Jonathan Richman’s Modern Lovers are a nice band. Many here probably already know about them. If not, check them out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-21 01:53 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 21, 2021 02:03

RisingStone
As a side note & FYI —

Lou Reed toured Japan eight times, in 1975, 86, 90, 92, 96, 2000, 03 and 04. 86 and 04 were festive appearances. I saw him eight times, 86-03. All of the shows I attended were superb without exception, the best being 92 (the ‘Magic And Loss’ tour). His last show in Japan was the Friday headliner of Fuji Rock Festival 2004 (I wasn’t there, unfortunately).

Nico toured Japan twice, in 1986 and 88, around the final years of her life. In 86, I attended the first of the two sets she played at a small club in Kyoto, the tour opener, watched the legend singing and playing the harmonium in awe. After the show, as I entered the art book shop on the ground floor in the same building that housed the venue, I encountered James Young, keyboardist of Nico’s group Faction and future author of the memoir of his tour days with her, browsing a picture book. He told me, “We played in bad sound,” which I didn’t notice at site. Sometime afterwords I heard she sang Femme Fatale in the second set (which she didn’t in the first), which made me cringe. 88 was a double headliner advertised as John Cale and Nico. Saw them at a 900 seater in Osaka, that was the last date of the tour (and would later turn out to be Nico’s last ever live performance in Japan). Nico took the stage first, with Faction now augmented by an added guitarist. She finished her set with the encore, Famme Fatale, I felt the unfinished business completed. In his book, Young reflects their second Japanese tour was not as good as the first one, but that’s not how I felt back then — I thought the show was equally good in a different measure. Can’t remember Cale’s set that much as I don’t have his solo albums, except that he played Dying On The Vine and I’m Waiting For The Man. Many of us expected Nico would join Cale and perform together, but it wasn’t to be — and left me with another unfinished business, which would never be fulfilled this time.

Only four months after, I heard Nico had died in Ibiza. I was sad but not surprised that much to be honest — not unlike when I heard the news of Amy Winehouses’ passing.

These are my quasi-VU experiences. Thank you for reading, and sorry if you are bored with my ramblings — or ‘memoirs’ on my part.
Don't be sorry. Your ramblings are anything but boring. Quite the opposite. I can't imagine sitting in the same room as Nico, let alone hearing her sing.

Date: October 21, 2021 03:51

drwatts
Don't be sorry. Your ramblings are anything but boring. Quite the opposite. I can't imagine sitting in the same room as Nico, let alone hearing her sing.

Thank you, drwatts!
A few anecdotal episodes to add to my ramblings;

On April 8, 1986, the day before Nico’s Japanese debut, the then popular pop idol, an eighteen-year old girl, topped herself, jumping from the seven-story building in Tokyo. This, of course, was widely publicized in the media and became a national topic. James Young picks this incident in his memoir, Songs They Never Play On The Radio, but mistakenly recollects that it happened during their second Japanese visit, 1988. [en.wikipedia.org]

At the same time as Nico’s first Japanese visit, Starship were touring Japan, their first ever in the country including Jefferson Airplane days. On April 10, the day after I saw Nico in Kyoto, I attended their Osaka show. Okay, most of the original members had left by then, but Grace Slick, at 46, was still stunningly beautiful. It was after they “built this city”, but I was glad anyway to see and hear her singing Somebody To Love and White Rabbit with all that psychedelic light show intact. Nico and Grace — I saw ‘Yin’ and ‘Yang’ of the 60’s on two consecutive nights!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-21 04:46 by RisingStone.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 21, 2021 10:54

RisingStone
drwatts

Thank you, drwatts!
A few anecdotal episodes to add to my ramblings;

On April 8, 1986, the day before Nico’s Japanese debut, the then popular pop idol, an eighteen-year old girl, topped herself, jumping from the seven-story building in Tokyo. This, of course, was widely publicized in the media and became a national topic. James Young picks this incident in his memoir, Songs They Never Play On The Radio, but mistakenly recollects that it happened during their second Japanese visit, 1988. [en.wikipedia.org]

At the same time as Nico’s first Japanese visit, Starship were touring Japan, their first ever in the country including Jefferson Airplane days. On April 10, the day after I saw Nico in Kyoto, I attended their Osaka show. Okay, most of the original members had left by then, but Grace Slick, at 46, was still stunningly beautiful. It was after they “built this city”, but I was glad anyway to see and hear her singing Somebody To Love and White Rabbit with all that psychedelic light show intact. Nico and Grace — I saw ‘Yin’ and ‘Yang’ of the 60’s on two consecutive nights!

I'm sorry you had to hear "We Built This City" live. winking smiley

Date: October 21, 2021 15:29

crholmstrom
I'm sorry you had to hear "We Built This City" live. winking smiley

Yeah...twice! Opener and reprise in the encore.

It was, after all, the 80’s...when MTV ruled the world.

Date: October 22, 2021 09:18

I listened to the “Max’s Kansas City” & “1969: The Velvet Underground live” back to back last night, I can’t quite explain the difference Mo brings to a song like beginning to see the light live compared to Billy Yule. It might just be the sonic quality of the recordings but the Version with Mo thunders at the end whereas the Billy Yule version has more skip at the end, it’s snappier maybe. It may be down to the way Mo setup her kit...

[m.youtube.com] Billy Yule

[m.youtube.com] Mo

Date: October 23, 2021 04:48

Paddy
I listened to the “Max’s Kansas City” & “1969: The Velvet Underground live” back to back last night, I can’t quite explain the difference Mo brings to a song like beginning to see the light live compared to Billy Yule. It might just be the sonic quality of the recordings but the Version with Mo thunders at the end whereas the Billy Yule version has more skip at the end, it’s snappier maybe. It may be down to the way Mo setup her kit...

[m.youtube.com] Mo

Contrary to what you put, to my ears, Yule’s drumming sounds more “thunderous” than Tucker’s TBHWY — or am I missing something here?
I don’t own Max’s Kansas City myself and haven’t heard 1969 for umpteen years. Listening to these sonically imperfect recordings has jogged my distant memory.

Ages ago, I exchanged comments on the internet forum with an avid bootleg collector. When we discussed VU, he remarked, “I don’t feel like collecting their bootlegs somehow.”
I replied, “Neither do I. Possibly because the very existence of the group, the Velvet Underground, is in itself like bootleg.”
He responded, “You nailed it.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 07:26 by RisingStone.

Date: October 23, 2021 07:48

RisingStone
Paddy

[m.youtube.com] Mo

Contrary to what you put, to my ears, Yule’s drumming sounds more “thunderous” than Tucker’s TBHWY — or am I missing something here?
I don’t own Max’s Kansas City myself and haven’t heard 1969 for umpteen years. Listening to these sonically imperfect recordings has jogged my distant memory.

Ages ago, I exchanged comments on the internet forum with an avid bootleg collector. When we discussed VU, he remarked, “I don’t feel like collecting their bootlegs somehow.”
I replied, “Neither do I. Possibly because the very existence of the group, the Velvet Underground, is in itself like bootleg.”
He responded, “You nailed it.”

Mo’s is more pounding maybe? Shamanic smiling smiley

Date: October 23, 2021 08:17

Paddy
Mo’s is more pounding maybe? Shamanic smiling smiley

Pounding and shamanic, yes. As opposed to Yule’s loud and hard-hitting, more typical rock and roll drumming.
Didn’t the documentary show her playing the drums with mallets?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home