Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The beautiful world of heavy metal
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 31, 2021 18:07

A fan's memories. I am sure there are any number of people on this site who are into metal, but, it's a genre I never got into, probably because, to my ears, many singers for metal bands couldn't sing a lick and hollered/snarled their way through songs. My head banging days were when blues rock or hard rock was part of the scene. Whipped me head to and fro more than once. Those were the daze.

[unherd.com]

Re: OT: The beautiful world of heavy metal
Date: August 31, 2021 18:16

My top favs were and still are AC/DC and Judas Priest.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 18:39

Maiden!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 31, 2021 19:28

Current band: Mastodon (3 very different singers [Brann, Troy, Brent] and one heck of a backup singer [Bill]).

Smart metal with a touch of psychedelia.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 31, 2021 22:30

NashvilleBlues
Current band: Mastodon (3 very different singers [Brann, Troy, Brent] and one heck of a backup singer [Bill]).

Smart metal with a touch of psychedelia.
Their first 4 records are very good. Saw them a number of times. Especially leviathan is s great album.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 22:38

Paradise Lost and At the Gates. At over 30 years of experirence, their albums keep getting better. We know we can't say that for all rock bands.

Metal bands have narrow reveneus financially. They still depend strongly on making good albums for touring. Many live on a 1 year studio, 2 years touring cycle. The COVID19 shit hit them very very hard.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 31, 2021 23:11

shattered1978
Paradise Lost and At the Gates. At over 30 years of experirence, their albums keep getting better. We know we can't say that for all rock bands.

Metal bands have narrow reveneus financially. They still depend strongly on making good albums for touring. Many live on a 1 year studio, 2 years touring cycle. The COVID19 shit hit them very very hard.

Paradise Lost were/are a great band. Gothic, Shades of god & Icon was a great run of albums.

Burzum, Emperor, Sepultura, White Zombie, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Venom, Black Sabbath & lots more besides were my primary listening around 92-95

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 23:18

Paddy
shattered1978

Paradise Lost were/are a great band. Gothic, Shades of god & Icon was a great run of albums.

Burzum, Emperor, Sepultura, White Zombie, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Venom, Black Sabbath & lots more besides were my primary listening around 92-95

Ah yes, Burzum and Emperor. Unique! The first half of the nineties brought lots of treasures. Gorgoroth, Gorefest, Amorphis....
For Paradise Lost I can recommend their latest run of albums, starting from 2009. Great drumming by Adrian Erlandson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-31 23:20 by shattered1978.

Date: September 1, 2021 00:20

Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor... They were weird and wonderful times. Napalm Death, Cradle of filth... Nostalgic now!

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 1, 2021 00:34

Opeth

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 1, 2021 00:54

Seeing Gojira October 22.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 1, 2021 02:38

I like a number of the hair metal bands (Poison, Motley, Ratt, etc.) just because I/we were having so much fun in the late 80's with these songs playing in the background.

Nothing too serious, just lots of fun!

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: September 1, 2021 05:44

My old nickname was Metal Headley... and I have the tinnitus to prove it!

Seriously, what a great time to be a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s, just when things were getting louder and louder.

I think it's called Classic Metal now, but one of my favorites has always been Judas Priest. Have VIP passes comin' up for 9-26 at Louder Than Life, they're Special Guests to Metallica.

My second-ever gig was The Priest in Dayton at Hara Arena in July'81, with Whitesnake and Iron Maiden opening. It was just after my 16th BDay, and my Pop took me and 3 buddies to the gig... he didn't Rock, but I wanted to go for my birthday.

After the show, a day or two later, I asked Dad what he really thought of the show, and he told me "It was awful god-damned loud, but the lights were pretty good"!

I've been chasin' bands for over 40 years now...

Date: September 1, 2021 06:00

TKinOH
My old nickname was Metal Headley... and I have the tinnitus to prove it!

Seriously, what a great time to be a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s, just when things were getting louder and louder.

I think it's called Classic Metal now, but one of my favorites has always been Judas Priest. Have VIP passes comin' up for 9-26 at Louder Than Life, they're Special Guests to Metallica.

My second-ever gig was The Priest in Dayton at Hara Arena in July'81, with Whitesnake and Iron Maiden opening. It was just after my 16th BDay, and my Pop took me and 3 buddies to the gig... he didn't Rock, but I wanted to go for my birthday.

After the show, a day or two later, I asked Dad what he really thought of the show, and he told me "It was awful god-damned loud, but the lights were pretty good"!

I've been chasin' bands for over 40 years now...

I caught Judas Priest 2-3 times over the years. Last time round was with Megadeth & Testament in support. First heard them as a kid watching live aid on TV.. grinning smiley

Heavy metal Parking lot is a must see for Metal/Priest fans!
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 1, 2021 07:48

Speaking of the "Beautiful" world of Metal checkout the lovely and talented
Kiki Wongo!

[www.instagram.com] hot smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 1, 2021 09:25

The other day I spoke to a 23 years young AC/DC fan and mentioned him that I saw AC/DC together with the Rolling Stones way back in Oberhausen, Germany in 2003. He said "wow, I was only five years old then!" We had a nice conversation and ... from now on he will never forget who the Rolling Stones are grinning smiley
He actually knew about the death of "that drummer" but it didn't ring a bell with him. Charlie ... no one will forget him ....cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 1, 2021 09:55

Ritchie Blackmore deep purple and Rainbow. I don, t go beyond that. Further than that i stop. Don,t like shredding, trash, death metal.......

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 1, 2021 13:22

KeithNacho
Ritchie Blackmore deep purple and Rainbow. I don, t go beyond that. Further than that i stop. Don,t like shredding, trash, death metal.......

Me neither, not a heavy metal fan at all. I have seen Metallica and AC/DC a few times, though, out of curiosity. Have to admit I quite enjoyed the shows. But...are they “heavy metal” in the strict sense of the definition? I’m not so sure...

When it comes to the tag, what springs up in my mind first is Judas Priest, the self-proclaimed “keepers of the faith”. I saw them a couple of times in the mid-80’s, and felt they were the epitome of the genre in every sense — the music, the costumes, the stage presentation, the manner, the response of the crowd, just everything. They were so into it to the extent the whole thing almost stepped into a self-parody.

Fire Power (2018), the Priest’s latest release at the moment, was quite a surprise for me, an eye-opener. Cleverly produced and musically sophisticated, this is a heavy metal album for the genre haters in a way. Recommended.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 1, 2021 22:01

Love metal...from Van Halen to thrash to black metal to death metal back to glam metal, it's all good!

My top 6:
Judas Priest
Slayer
Metallica
Van Halen
Motley Crue
Ozzy

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 1, 2021 23:02

I think Van Halen, Judas Priest and Motley Crue are hard rock not metal.

My fav metal song is a parody.... The Metal by Tenacious D

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 2, 2021 00:51

makemeburnthecandle
My top favs were and still are AC/DC and Judas Priest.

Are they heavy metal? Always confusing to me what defines both.

Date: September 2, 2021 03:16

Judas Priest aren’t heavy metal? Just goes to show how different and unfathomable the way people perceive things...

In my muddled mind, come to think of heavy metal, after the Priest come Iron Maiden the second, to be followed by numerous others.

One broad measure for me to discern heavy metal from hard rock is a relatively low bluesy ingredient in musicality. Following this rule, among the older groups who are in general classified or regarded as hard rock, Deep Purple/Rainbow and Black Sabbath are closer to heavy metal than Led Zeppelin, more or less.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: September 2, 2021 05:55

RidingStone, I'm with ya. DP, Zeppelinaid the ground work, Sabbath took it a bit further but Priest is really the first band to embrace and define Metal. Maiden (my favorite) followed the footsteps Priest laid as did all the New Wave of British Metal bands. In the US in NY and LA they applied their own esthetic to it but used the same Priest template.

Date: September 2, 2021 07:14

@risingstone

That’s about my take on it also, Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin etc were loud bluesy rock bands. Priest were the first to eschew that and went a different road with rock music.

Date: September 2, 2021 12:19

Paddy
@risingstone

That’s about my take on it also, Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin etc were loud bluesy rock bands. Priest were the first to eschew that and went a different road with rock music.

I guess you are meaning loud bluesy rock = hard rock.

I think, the birth of hard rock as an established genre came with Led Zeppelin. Deep Purple Mk2 and Black Sabbath followed after them.

Then, what about Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience? They played “blues rock” hard and loud IMHO. As much as they came close to what we call “hard rock” today and they were predecessors of the genre, their music was not hard rock by definition per se. Most likely Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, Ten Years After, Free etc. belong to this type.

And then, what are The Rolling Stones? Some of their most famous tunes are undoubtedly as hard as they can be, e.g. Satisfaction, Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Brown Sugar to name a few, but nobody calls them a hard rock band.

“The World’s Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band”? I don’t think it’s a musical definition, it’s a title...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-03 01:07 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 2, 2021 13:05

I think the beginnings of ‘hard rock’ lay with the likes of Cream, The Jeff Beck Group and The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Three-piece acts, who made incorporated heavy and loud amplification. This style morphed into ‘heavy metal’ over a course of time. It’s all down to musical evolution.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 2, 2021 13:42

You might call it musical evolution but breeding tiny pugs with deformed noses also is a sort of evolution. To me, metal is like that. How far is a listener willing to go claiming to enjoy abrasive noise seems to be the distinction they make.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 2, 2021 15:21

Remember the old term "acid rock"?

Date: September 2, 2021 18:41

In no particular order

Deep Purple
Triumph
Tesla
Whitesnake

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 2, 2021 20:55

Markdog
I think Van Halen, Judas Priest and Motley Crue are hard rock not metal.

My fav metal song is a parody.... The Metal by Tenacious D

It all depends on the songs:
Painkiller (Priest) and Looks that Kill (Motley) are metal IMHO while Living after Midnight and She Goes Down by same lean more towards hard rock.

Van Halen leans more toward hard rock, but metalheads love VH! VH even headlined heavy metal day at the 1983 US Festival, so that's why I included them in my favourite metal bands.

If you like parody metal, check out Steel Panther, their lyrics and videos are outrageous (and the music is GREAT!).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home