Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any boost on the Billboard charts for Stones albums?
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 01:19

Hi Georgelicks, was there a boost on the Billboard charts for Stones albums/songs because of Charlie? I know when Eddie VH passed, a number of VH albums/songs re-entered the charts. I'm guessing Hot Rocks would have re entered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-01 04:13 by bv.

Re: question for Georgelicks about Stones sales
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 31, 2021 01:29

Just saw this on Twitter and was curious as to the same thing.
I'm sure georgelicks will update us.

The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks 1964-1971 re-enters the Billboard 200 Album Chart at #152. It's now spent 360 weeks on the chart.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 31, 2021 05:50

DGA35
Hi Georgelicks, was there a boost on the Billboard charts for Stones albums/songs because of Charlie? I know when Eddie VH passed, a number of VH albums/songs re-entered the charts. I'm guessing Hot Rocks would have re entered?

The new Billboard chart will be updated on Tuesday Aug. 30, the Stones were at #152 last week with Hot Rocks.

In the UK, the Stones are charting in the following charts:

UK Top 200 ALBUMS:
#57 Hot Rocks 1964-1971
#113 Honk
#160 Sticky Fingers

From Music Week: "The sad death of drummer Charlie Watts came slightly too late in the week to have a sizeable effect on the chart fortunes of his band, but the surge is still visible nonetheless as Hot Rocks 1964-1971 by The Rolling Stones surges to No.57 (1,617 sales), its highest chart placing since August 2018."

UK Top 200 DOWNLAOD SINGLES
#89 Gimme Shelter
#97 Paint It Black
#126 Sympathy For The Devil
#150 She's a Rainbow
#176 Honky Tonk Women

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 31, 2021 07:42

georgelicks
DGA35

The new Billboard chart will be updated on Tuesday Aug. 30, the Stones were at #152 last week with Hot Rocks.

UK Top 200 ALBUMS:
#57 Hot Rocks 1964-1971
#113 Honk
#160 Sticky Fingers

From Music Week: "The sad death of drummer Charlie Watts came slightly too late in the week to have a sizeable effect on the chart fortunes of his band, but the surge is still visible nonetheless as Hot Rocks 1964-1971 by The Rolling Stones surges to No.57 (1,617 sales), its highest chart placing since August 2018."

#89 Gimme Shelter
#97 Paint It Black
#150 She's a Rainbow
#176 Honky Tonk Women

fascinating...no Satisfaction in the top 5, no song out of the 60s and one tune off an album widely considered their worst album until we got to the 1980s.

Saying all that, what a great top 5.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 31, 2021 07:44

From being outside the top 200 of digital artists (counting iTunes , Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube and of course regular digital charts) Stones made a brief jump last week to place 10. Charting everywhere except youtube. They made the top 100 on Spotify for 2 days and also placed top 40 on iTunes in many countries with SFTD, PIB, BOB, Satisfaction, Angie, GS and SMU charting in around 20 countries. Hot Rocks came in second in a few countries om iTunes and around 8 other albums charted.

Tiff

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2021 08:44

treaclefingers
georgelicks
DGA35

UK Top 200 ALBUMS:
#57 Hot Rocks 1964-1971
#113 Honk
#160 Sticky Fingers

#89 Gimme Shelter
#97 Paint It Black
#150 She's a Rainbow
#176 Honky Tonk Women

fascinating...no Satisfaction in the top 5, no song out of the 60s and one tune off an album widely considered their worst album until we got to the 1980s.

Unsurprising, really. When all is said and done, it is their 60’s catalogue that garners the most nostalgia. I think She’s A Rainbow transcends the album it’s featured on. I’m sure that most who stream the track, are not doing so from the album, too. The majority are probably unaware of the minute of noise that blights the Satanic version.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2021 08:47

Big Al
treaclefingers
georgelicks
DGA35

UK Top 200 ALBUMS:
#57 Hot Rocks 1964-1971
#113 Honk
#160 Sticky Fingers

#89 Gimme Shelter
#97 Paint It Black
#150 She's a Rainbow
#176 Honky Tonk Women

Unsurprising, really. When all is said and done, it is their 60’s catalogue that garners the most nostalgia. I think She’s A Rainbow transcends the album it’s featured on. I’m sure that most who stream the track, are not doing so from the album, too. The majority are probably unaware of the minute of noise that blights the Satanic version.

Edit: when I mention ‘nostalgia’, I’m really meaning the songs in general; not the studio albums, so much. As a random collection, I do believe it’s the run of 60’s singles and ‘classic’ tracks that are the most fondly looked upon. I’m sure television adverts and film scores have played a part in this.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 31, 2021 09:06

Big Al
Big Al
treaclefingers
georgelicks
DGA35

UK Top 200 ALBUMS:

#57 Hot Rocks 1964-1971
#113 Honk
#160 Sticky Fingers

#89 Gimme Shelter
#97 Paint It Black
#150 She's a Rainbow
#176 Honky Tonk Women

Edit: when I mention ‘nostalgia’, I’m really meaning the songs in general; not the studio albums, so much. As a random collection, I do believe it’s the run of 60’s singles and ‘classic’ tracks that are the most fondly looked upon. I’m sure television adverts and film scores have played a part in this.

You are right. Looking at the top 10 most streamed on spotify (million streams):

PIB 612
Satisfaction 427
Gimme Shelter 364
SFTD 359
SMU 355 (have been trending above GS and SFTD for over 2 years and will move passed them within a year)
BOB 290
Angie 215
Wild Horses 166
Brown Sugar 164
Miss you 110

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-31 09:11 by tiffanyblu.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 10:11

MisterDDDD
Just saw this on Twitter and was curious as to the same thing.
I'm sure georgelicks will update us.

The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks 1964-1971 re-enters the Billboard 200 Album Chart at #152. It's now spent 360 weeks on the chart.

[twitter.com]

Slightly off topic for this thread, but I’m curious - - looking at the iconic cover design of Hot Rocks, obviously the largest silhouette belongs to Jagger, and the two most inner ones are Charlie and Keith, respectively. But as for the second and third largest silhouettes, which one is Bill, and is the other one supposed to be Brian or Mick T? I just can’t make them out to be sure.....thank you!

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 11:19

From the most external to the core: MJ, BW, MT, CW, KR

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 12:17

1963luca0

Thanks 1963luca0 for confirming, much appreciated. As much as I love this design, looking back, it’s a pity they didn’t work an image of Brian in there as well....

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 14:16

Jones and Taylor gold Stones years as always...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 31, 2021 14:53

sf37
1963luca0

Thanks 1963luca0 for confirming, much appreciated. As much as I love this design, looking back, it’s a pity they didn’t work an image of Brian in there as well....

Agreed. The European 'Hot Rocks' (Rolled Gold) had both.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:04

Amazing that for a band that's still semi-active, their most notable success these days is a compilation album that's 50 years old.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:13

Never one to miss the opportunity to turn a positive into some kind of negative.

Uncanny really. Bravo!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:25

Negative?

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 19:53

I think it’s great potentially that some people may come to the Rolling Stones for the first time, and find out how amazing they are via hot rocks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home