Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: American Graffiti soundtrack a history of rock music development
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 29, 2021 18:54

Okay, first off, how many of us vintage folks here at IORR still have a copy of this soundtrack? Bonus points if you have it on vinyl. The movie itself is still an enjoyable watch, IMHO, with themes that are universal regarding growing up. On this note, see y'all at the sock hop.

[www.popmatters.com]

Re: OT: American Graffiti soundtrack a history of rock music development
Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:22

Yes, still have it on vinyl. Also on CD as it happens. Loved having those Wolfman Jack snippets too.

A top movie, and still one of my favourites. I love the line from John Milner (played memorably by Paul Le Mat) who said when the Beach Boys came on his car radio 'Music has all gone to heck since Buddy Holly died'

BH was a big favourite of The Stones always.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:37

I was in high school when American Graffiti was released, and it was hugely popular and influential.

A lot of the rituals depicted--like cruising--suddenly made a comeback.

Many years later I was watching it with my son. The scene near the end where it is revealed to Curt that the low-key guy at the radio station who is trying to give away his melting popsicles is actually the mythical DJ known as Wolfman actually surprised him.

When I saw the film in '73, that scene didn't work as intended, because everyone already knew what Wolfman Jack looked like because hosted Midnight Special on Friday nights.

But the soundtrack was huge, and a window into a weird earlier musical world that seemed like it was forever ago.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 29, 2021 20:52

Was too young to see the movie when it came out but I've seen it several times on tv and got the dvd. Love the movie, I believe it was Suzanne Somers first role.
Always though what American Graffiti was to the 60s, Dazed and Confused was the 70s, Fast Times at Ridgemont High the 80s and Swingers the 90s.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 29, 2021 20:55

The movie was quite uncool compared to Easy Rider. It talked to a totally different audience. Plus, Easy Rider was released already 4 years ago by then. I remember that guy on the bike with his thick glasses trying to stop before he reached the end of the parking pit. He didn`t, the scooter thumbled and everybody laughed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-29 20:56 by noughties.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 29, 2021 21:15

Easy Rider soundtrack an obvious classic, kicks the s*** out of AG.
Valley Girl another great classic soundtrack. - different genre obviously.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 29, 2021 21:16

noughties
The movie was quite uncool compared to Easy Rider. It talked to a totally different audience. Plus, Easy Rider was released already 4 years ago by then. I remember that guy on the bike with his thick glasses trying to stop before he reached the end of the parking pit. He didn`t, the scooter thumbled and everybody laughed.

Easy Rider was a product of a very specific time. It actually plays better now as a cultural artifact than it did 4 or 5 years after release, as it quickly became dated and in fact "uncool" in both style and content.

Actually, I think it spoke to the same audience: Boomers who had embraced the counterculture sensibilities in Easy Rider were looking back on their youth.

Yeah, people laughed at the scene where Terry the Toad crashes his scooter, as it was intended to be funny!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 30, 2021 02:45

Great soundtrack, though I prefer the “more American graffiti” soundtrack.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 30, 2021 04:10

noughties

Be that as it may (I doubt if the comparison against Easy Rider is fair at all because in AG you have an early 60s setting), but AG has aged beautifully. Pure heartwarming nostalgia.

Date: August 30, 2021 05:14

American Graffiti soundtrack defined the era of rock and roll. Rock and roll was dead by the time Easy Rider (Altamont) occurred. Let the good times roll!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 05:18 by charlesbaudelaire.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 30, 2021 08:21

I have my dads vinyl and I also have it on CD. Great, great movie. I have seen it dozens of times.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 30, 2021 12:26

charlesbaudelaire
American Graffiti soundtrack defined the era of rock and roll. Rock and roll was dead by the time Easy Rider (Altamont) occurred. Let the good times roll!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

...maybe not quite dead yet, but in agony... makes me think about 'Fear and Loathing', which I consider an illegitimate ER offspring: that could have been a monster of a movie if it only had a significant soundtrack, but times had changed and R&R was indeed dead...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 30, 2021 14:55

I love this soundtrack. It captures a certain era of music.

Comparing it to East Rider is comparing "At The Hop" to "Born To Be Wild" - completely different things.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 30, 2021 16:40

In the movie, it's interesting how Milner hates The Beach Boys, but Carol loves them. Really captures a transitional moment in the history of American Rock music. And of course, it was the inclusion of "All Summer Long" playing over the closing credits, combined with the release of the Endless Summer compilation album, that catapulted The Beach Boys back to the top of the charts and launched them on a second career as a nostalgia act that continues to this very day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 16:45 by tatters.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 30, 2021 18:17

-Comparing just because it`s so different, only 4 years later, that`s why. The music of Easy Rider was a counter reaction to what existed before. All of a sudden, this music became popular again, seemingly. Here today, gone tomorrow, for sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home