Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Charlie Watts In Memory - by the fans
Posted by: syndy ()
Date: August 30, 2021 21:28

My Charlie Watts tribute Song/ Video

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 21:43 by syndy.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 30, 2021 21:44

Charlie,

As a cricket fan, 80 isn’t a bad innings, though we would like to have had you around for longer. I never met you but by all accounts, you were an absolute gent, had a nice life and lived it very well. Thank you very much for everything you gave us while it lasted, especially still playing 2 hour shows just 2 years before the End. We and unborn future generations have your work on record to enjoy forever. Your place in music history is assured. I will covet the memories of watching and listening to you play for the rest of my days.

Gregor

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 31, 2021 05:03

I enjoyed the privilege of listening to Charlie Watts play drums for my entire life. My first memory of him was when I was about 3 and my brother brought home the Honky Tonk Women 45. I last saw him play with the Stones 11 times between 1989 and 2019, with the last being in Jacksonville in the Summer of 2019.

Charlie never disappointed. As the Stones turned from being the Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World to the Greatest Rock & Roll Show in the world, it was Charlie who we could count on to bring that musical ethos that all other members from time to time lost or struggled to find. So long as Charlie was there, one could trust the Band caring about the music's credibility.

Ultimately, Charlie was the class act within the Rolling Stones. I like to think of him as the Most Elegant Drummer in the World's Most Dangerous Band. Each of us Stones' fans will always miss Charlie, just as each of the Stones will miss Charlie.

While he will be missed, I will remain thankful that we had so much for so long and that we have so much of his work by which to remember him. I will honor him by playing his music, loud and often.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 31, 2021 11:42

Thank you Charlie.. RIP..
Wishing your family and friends strength these days.

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 31, 2021 13:39

Any Rock and roll band wish to have a drummer like him

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 31, 2021 15:41

Charlie Watts in memoriam from Dirty Rock Magazine, Spain. RIP. [www.dirtyrock.info]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 31, 2021 19:07

Always liked the picture of Charlie and Wayne Newton with the horse. It's posted here somewhere. Charlie will be missed.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: August 31, 2021 22:35

Carlitos, me ha encantado tu reportaje, magnífica despedida al maestro Watts. Una suerte haber podido disfrutar de su música y su elegancia.

Un saludo

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 31, 2021 23:16

Carlitos, excelente, pata negrs
Nacho, desde Alzira, Valencia.
Long live rock snd roll
Rest in beat my friend

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: September 1, 2021 00:47

Of course we will remember Charlie Watts as the best drummer. But since August 2021 also for the best last words of a rock artist:

"I'm shot! I'm shot!" John Lennon
"I'm going to the bathroom to read." Elvis Presley
"Mother, I'm going to get my things and get out of this house. Father hates me and I'm never coming back." Marvin Gaye
"For once my timing has been a little off," Charlie Watts

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 1, 2021 11:50

Charlie Watts Upstages Mick Jagger

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 1, 2021 13:41

A truly great loss. I'm so glad I got to see Charlie play many times with the Stones (since my first gig at Wembley in 1990) and also in more intimate settings - Ronnie Scotts with the Tentet (what a gig!) and Pizza Express Jazz club with the ABC&D of Boogie Woogie.

It is/was never difficult to get distracted at a Stones gig by the showmanship of rest of the band - but to allow yourself to focus on Charlie doing his thing was really a window into the true beating heart of the Stones.

A Jazz musician who found himself in the most successful Rock and Roll band of all time. What a ride!

We'll always have the wonderful music - Thank you Charlie!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 1, 2021 17:07

Charlie played for my birthday party back in 2011!

Well, sort of ...

The AB&C happened to play in Milano on my birthday. I bought a bunch of front row tickets and invited my friends to the party!

C

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 1, 2021 23:22

I'm still struggling to come to terms with this.
Beautiful inimitable irreplaceable Charlie has died,
and my most-loved, most glorious forever band are brokenhearted.
And they are trying to go on with a planned tour anyway,
for their beloved Charlie, and because they are Rolling Stones.

Blessings on all of them, for good.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 2, 2021 00:57

To never see them again in this incarnation is
very hard to deal with.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 2, 2021 03:22

No words needed.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 2, 2021 07:21

IT IS NOW ONE WEEK SINCE OUR BELOVED GOD CHARLIE PASSED. I THOUGHT GODS DIDN'T DIE.

I got a message from another librarian of all damned things, but she didn't name him, just said 'one of your band members' and I feared it was Charlie and went straight to IORR where the terrible news was confirmed. I read some of the posts and the announcement by the spokesman, and after about two or three minutes, broke down in tears. My wife and granddaughter comforted me.

My granddaughter Binkey was especially sweet as she continued to comfort me, putting her arm around me and saying "it's OK." She is the one who met all of the backing band after the Santa Clara show except Matt Clifford who was not there. They all just loved her (they aren't used to seeing five year olds at their post gig relaxation gatherings in the hotel bar). I reminded her that she had gotten to see Charlie twice (Denver and Santa Clara).

I am so glad I met Charlie once, at the band's hotel in Vancouver in 2006. It was totally unexpected and I had no camera or phone. However, I did get an autograph. He had turned to leave when he saw my outstretched hand, turned around and shook my hand. Class act.

I am still in absolute shock. When I think of being at a show and looking at the stage and not seeing Charlie, I just feel weird, hollow and don't know how I will get through it. I guess it is difficult to imagine. A major empty space that cannot be filled.

You wouldn't believe how, the very day he died, tons of new Charlie t shirts went on sale on eBay, most of which included the words 1941-2021. Kind of morbid and disgusting, ambulance chasers, profiteers.

Charlie was my second favourite Stone, after Mick. I've been commiserating with lots of old friends and most of my siblings, my Stones friends from the fan clubs and overseas, especially Germany. People have offered me their condolences.

Stones shows just won't be the same without the little man with white hair sitting at the back of all the commotion and causing a good share of it in his own way. You know, one of the things I always look forward to, both live and on video, is when Charlie is introduced. Now, no more of that. It makes me very sad. Part of me is gone, especially part of my youth.

Finally, I close with some lyrics to Stones songs:

Love and hope and sex and dreams are still surviving on the streets
And look at me, I'm in tatters
I'm shattered

It’s another good bye to another good friend

plexi
how can I continue to be plexi when there is no more Charlie??

(Note: the following pics are those I personally took of Charlie. I identify at which show it was taken and provide a remark or two)

Frankfurt 13 June 2007

Vancouver 25 November 2006

Barcelona 21 June 2007

Barcelona 21 June 2007; here, he is with the late, great saxophonist Bobby Keys, presumably they are now reunited

Charlie Triumphant, Barcelona 21 June 2007

Vancouver 25 November 2006; Charlie departing, appropriate for what we have just gone through

Barcelona 21 June 2007; no words necessary

Frankfurt 13 June 2007, taken from second row; this is how we'd like to remember him -- -- surrounded by his bandmates and smiling at the final bow

Back side of the "The Plexiglass and Charlie" T shirt I made and gave out to IORR members for the end of the A Bigger Bang tour shows in the band's hometown of London; today, it might as well be the end of an era, but the true believers KNOW that he is still with us and that CHARLIE RULES!!!

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-02 07:50 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: September 2, 2021 20:02

Some of my Charlie photo.
Sici

Sici

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 3, 2021 19:29

Greetings all,

been away for a while - I think the Stones need to do: time waits for no one - with Mick Taylor included on this tour!!! last song of the night as a tribute to Charlie!! - who agrees??? Charlie would as Taylor was his favorite lead guitarist for the Stones!!
MLC

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 3, 2021 23:52

I love all the tributes. But I also saw Charlie as quite an eccentric man, meaning that in a good way. I haven't yet read anything that sees to capture that side of him.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 4, 2021 00:34

I think everyone can appear eccentric, and on a different wavelength to other people.
I was definitely on the same way of thinking, and living from day to day the same as Charlie.

We are all different and live life as we want to live it.

If you treat people in a nice way you're gonna be thought of when you depart this world, and Charlie was a good man.

God Bless you Charlie. smileys with beer

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 4, 2021 02:49

Charlie - thank you for being the heartbeat of the greatest rock'n'roll band there ever was. They wouldn't have done it without you in the engine room. God bless you and give you wings to the next adventure.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 4, 2021 04:03

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 4, 2021 04:40

Love this photo!

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: September 4, 2021 10:12

Thank you Plexi for your T-Shirt with Charlie.

You gave it to me during the Bigger Bang Tour in Germany.

I love the shirt and it was on the front

"Plexiglass & Charlie".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 10:12 by Erhard51.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: September 5, 2021 00:27

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 5, 2021 07:07

rockerparis

This is from the second Paris show 2017 I think. I remember when Mick did this. I've got some pics of my own of this. Mick got a drumstick and was hitting one of the cymbals during Street Fighting Man if memory serves.

plexi

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: September 5, 2021 11:21

Date: September 5, 2021 22:17

We are moving ... time to throw stuff away ... like the FoamCore movie theater standee for "Shine A Light" that been in my attic for twelve or thirteen years.

So now a portion of it is attached to a tree out front until the elements or something/someone takes it down.

Now ...
The
Charlie Watts
Tree Of Life

Date: September 5, 2021 22:18

I like how Mick's torso is the tree trunk!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home