Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Charlie Watts In Memory - by the fans
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 27, 2021 21:28

Oh my god, sorry for this photo, didn’t want it to be this big

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 27, 2021 21:34

Dearest Charlie I will miss you so much. 80 shows, one for each year of your life and every one you were the backbone of the band, keeping everyone steady and then exploding. There will never be anyone like you. You were the most stylish and dapper of gentleman. I hope you are playing in heaven with all those wonderful musicians who can’t wait for you to back them with your incredible drumming. You will never be forgotten on this earth and my heart goes out to all your family and friends, and of course us fans! God bless you Charlie, rock on. Love Sparkly Top

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 27, 2021 22:41

I always loved the cartoon by Charlie on the back of between the buttons.

Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: August 27, 2021 22:43

I am a musician and proud to have that in common with Charlie Watts. Players agree that he was a role model at his craft. We will always have that to savor thanks to the hours of recordings and videos of his work.

I first saw the Stones when I was 17 (it was a very good year lol) in the Philly Spectrum, July 21, 1972 at the 2 PM show. Twenty seven times later I saw him in AZ where I live now at his second to last performance. I have not seen another “act” as many times and never will. That 1972 show and Bob Dylan’s tour with “The Band” in 1974 changed everything for me.

I probably went back 27 more times because I knew Charlie Watts would be there.

One memory that sticks out to me is the show I saw at JFK Stadium in 1978. It was not very good but I understand now there were reasons (MJ had some wellness issues?).

The memory was not of Charlie but of another Stone who was a really rare sight. Ian Stuart was out front waiting for the band to start while drinking a Beck’s. He was just taking in the sight of the near 100,000 capacity crowd. I still remember his grin.

My point is that Brian, Stu, Andrew, Jack Nitzsche, Jimmy Miller, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston and Bobby Keys are gone but left big contributions. As did the living greats Billy Wyman and Mick Taylor.

The band is long on legacy and others that left their footprint over the years but Charlie was the bedrock of the whole thing. He was also some pretty strong glue at times. The period at the end of the sentence. I think Keith and the others have made that point.

So goodbye and Rest in Peace Charlie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 23:26 by ExileFromNJ.

Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: August 27, 2021 22:49

I forgot to mention the great Billy Wyman with the other notable legacy Stones as well as Nicky Hopkins.

They all loved our man CW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 23:21 by ExileFromNJ.

Date: August 27, 2021 23:52

No words.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2021 00:48

The classiest man in rock 'n' roll. The beating heart of the greatest band that there will ever be.

Thank you, Charlie. Aside from the music, I'll always treasure those personal moments when you made this ordinary fan feel very special.

Deepest sympathy to his family. I hope they find comfort from all the messages of love from his fans and fellow musicians in the last few days.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 28, 2021 01:07

The last time I saw The Rolling Stones live were the four gigs in Brasil, way back in February /March 2016.
Met many old friends and new ones from all over the world.
The very last show was Porto Alegre, that was great with seeing the band live, the set list, and the rain.
Great time's and eventually back to hotel about 5am, after eating and drinking with friends from UK and South America.
I didn't know then it would be the last time live, I would see the great Charlie Watts behind his drum kit.
Dear Sasha Alan went arse over tit as she left the stage after the final bow, before our beloved Charlie, Ronnie, Keith and Mick left, on their last gig so far in Brasil.
God Bless You Charlie. smileys with beer

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: August 28, 2021 01:12

Charlie, thank you so much for all the memories, good times and incredible music you’ve provided to all of us on this board. You were an incredible drummer, perfect gentleman and wonderful family man.

You will always be in our hearts and you will always be…a Rolling Stone.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: panthercougar ()
Date: August 28, 2021 01:37

Charlie was the backbeat to so much of my life, and will continue to be for the rest of it. Thank you so much for sharing your gifts with us.

Date: August 28, 2021 01:39

I love this video. Thank you Mr Watts
[youtu.be]

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 28, 2021 04:07

The world has lost one hell of a cool cat. I spent many, many hours of my life listening to him play on records and watching him live.

He made it bearable, joyful, fun, and wondrous. His style as a gentleman and talent as a drummer left a positive mark on the world for sure.

Thank you, Charles Robert Watts. You made the world a better place with your presence.

Love you and miss you.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: August 28, 2021 04:34

So Charlie

Always going along with whatever nonsense Mick plans and making it his own.

Godspeed, my love. I know you are up there, just chuckling away at our lionizing.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 28, 2021 04:40

You gave us the beats between the beats. Thanks, Charlie.

Posted by: Sway65 ()
Date: August 28, 2021 04:54

Charlie, waking up to hear of your passing was some of the saddest news I have ever woken up to. Rest in peace, you will never be forgotten.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: August 28, 2021 05:02

I'm not good at expressing words and feeling especially after a loss. I always feel quite of numb. It's too hard to process, accept it's real, I guess. I still feel so sad.

I was away from iorr for some years. Personal life events, health and family issues, stopped me going to see the Rolling Stones since what very likely was my last - my treasured Rome 2014 show. It was too painful coming on here when they most recently toured the UK. It hurt having to sit it out it, especially knowing it was very possibly the last ever chance. But I missed fellow fans, our community. It's been a source of comfort to read through posts and tributes here since the sad sad news.

My first Stones concert was appropriately in his backyard - the Wembley Whammer playing down the road in Wembley stadium. That show changed me from already enthusiastic fan to hardcore. The stones mean so much to me. The music brought me such inmmense joy and pure pleasure. No need for any drug and drink when. I got high on the music. It's so infectious.

I always recognised Charlie as someone special. A truly humble but also oh so very integral part of the Rolling Stones. I don't know why I felt this way, can't explain it, but Charlie also felt special to me. Maybe because he feels like a local boy to me. I have family who grew up nearby. Maybe they walked past him when they were all kids. My dad went to same jazz clubs in London. He shares Charlie's love of Jazz. He was a link in a tiny way to my own family background. I love the rest of the band but Charlie was my darling.

I'm so grateful for everything you have given to us, Mr Charlie Watts. The music that gives me sheer joy and also a comfort through bad times. I'm so sorry for all his family, the Rolling Stones, and us fans. My heartfelt condolences to all, but particularly to Shirley, Seraphina, Mick, Keith, Ronnie, and all the close family and friends.

Rest in Peace Mr Charlie Watts x

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 28, 2021 05:05

My heart feels so heavy

Date: August 28, 2021 06:00

What I admired most about Charlie was his loyalty to being part of the band, even above his own comfort level. I always think of the Rolling Stones Blimp that took off in New York city as a promotional tour announcement in 2002. Charlie did not want to go in the blimp, he hated the idea of it but he went along with it could not wait to get off. After the blimp ride when he was asked why he did it he replied because I'm in the band and I do what is required.

He never liked the gimmicks and silly promos but his actions showed that he always put the band above himself. Very humble and classy man, understated, the solid backbone behind all of the craziness of the band. He was the anchor. The rock behind The Rolling Stones, He can never be replaced. He will always be missed. Mo one can take his place. It wont be the same, its the end of an era. Charlie, you are truly loved.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: August 28, 2021 06:11

Charlie on The David Letterman Show on July 10 1996. This is beautiful.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: August 28, 2021 08:32

Charlie Watts, best drummer with the best rock and roll band in the world. I love you and will miss you and will remember you and keep you in my heart forever. You were the glue that kept the Stones together. I admired your talent, your kindness, your thoughtfulness, your smile, your humility, your loyalty, your faithfulness and your wonderful dry sense of humor. You were truly one of a kind.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 28, 2021 10:30

It is very heart warming to read all the above expressed feelings!
I'm not going to add mine, because I already did that in the other thread: Your "meeting Charlie Watts" stories. The pain is there, no matter what I would write about Charlie.
I was asked to do a radio 192 interview (upcoming monday, in Dutch, sorry) and was allowed to make some musical choices with Charlie's involvement. Involvement? That's a rediculous word ... he was a rocking solid, modest at the background, drummer for the Rolling Stones and his contributions to the Jazz world were numorous. I just listed to some takes with Jim Keltner, his big friend. Charlie a drummer? That's a big understatement.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-28 10:31 by georgie48.

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: August 28, 2021 11:34

I´m so sad. Saw you 38 times.You were the soul from The Rolling Stones.

R.I.P.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 28, 2021 13:19

A very special drummer in a very special band. Just like van Gogh, Mozart, Groucho Marx - God made just one copy. Thank you.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 28, 2021 15:21

THE ROLLING STONES: THE GREATEST AND BEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND, SIMPLY THE BEST BAND, EVER TO HAVE WALKED THE EARTH.

CHARLIE WATTS: THE HEART AND SOUL OF THE BAND. THE VERY ESSENCE.

A BAND IS MADE UP OF THE SUM OF ITS PARTS. ONE PART IS NOW MISSING. CHARLIE, IRREPLACEABLE, IMPLACABLE, IMPECCABLE.

GOD SPEED MR WATTS. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

Rod

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: August 28, 2021 17:38

Gimme Shelter in Miami. Footage of Charlie about five minutes in. I shot this from the Tongue Pit.

Charlie Watts and Stones Miami Hurricane Dorian Show

Date: August 28, 2021 18:42

My last video with Charlie in it. Filmed with my iPhone, so not to good quality and little view on Charlie as he his behind his drums mostly

The Rolling Stones, Satisfaction. Soldier Field Chicago. 25-06-2019

[youtu.be]

Date: August 28, 2021 18:42

video: [youtu.be]

Sorry same video as above, can’t delete it….

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-28 18:43 by Christiaan.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 28, 2021 19:40

Thank you. I will miss you.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 28, 2021 21:26

thank you for your work with the stones but also for being such a tireless advocate for the jazz musicians you loved so much it was always a pleasure to hear you speak with such enthusiasm about them in almost every extensive interview you ever gave
keith and brian may have opened the door to the blues for me but you opened me up to the world of jazz
thanks charlie

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 28, 2021 21:48

The other side of Charlie. As a poster on U Tube wrote, Charlie worked his day job to support his jazz habit (LOL)! I will miss your elegance and cool!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-28 21:53 by Sighunt.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home