Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Charlie Watts In Memory - by the fans
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:26

This is a place where fans may post their tributes and memories to celebrate the life of Charlie Watts. These memorial pages will be linked up to a new master page dedicated to Charlie Watts here on IORR soon.

Please DO NOT QUOTE other comments here. This is a memory wall, not a discussion. Also, please post with respect, love and understanding. Thank you.

I will start this off by posting my own words of memory:

=====

It makes me so sad to hear about the passing of Charlie Watts. My thoughts go to his family, to his wife since 1964, Shirley, his daughter Seraphina, and his grandchild Charlotte. You should know that Charlie was loved by so many. It keep coming back to me all the time, the large crowds in so many places they performed in, like in Buenos Aires, shounting "Charlie Charlie Charlie". Deeply missed.

Charlie Watts In Memory (Stoneslife.org post)

Bjørnulf Vik, Norway, fan since 1971

Re: Charlie Watts In Memory - by the fans
Date: August 27, 2021 16:32

"The drummer thinks that he is dynomite"

and he was correct.

Thank you, Mr. Watts

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:36

I'm remembering the last time they played the Pontiac Silverdome in 1997. When it was over, the four of them took a final bow. But then, after they walked off, Mick and Charlie came back and took one last bow together. Just the two of them. The roar from the crowd was even louder than it had been for the four of them! It was as if Mick was preparing the audience for a future in which he and Charlie were going to be the last men standing, the last remaining original members. But it was also his way of saying, this is really the Charlie Watts Band, and we're all just his sidemen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:39

Thanks Charlie for being the heartbeat and the engine for the Rolling Stones - we love you.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:39

Charlie, you were a true icon. Your drumming style gave the music of the Stones that certain something. Thank you for all the decades that you have given us so much joy. We will miss you very much, and yet you keep drumming in our hearts, feelings and of course all records and videos. You were the undisputed No.1 among all drummers.

Rest in peace, Charlie. You've got a special place in my heart.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:56

"Mick or Keith"??
The age old question asked by many when the subject of The Rolling Stones came up.

"Charlie" was always my quick reply.

And it was true. Charlie Watts was always my favorite Rolling Stone.

RIP Mr. Charlie Watts and Thank You.
Condolences to his family and to his RS family and fans here and around the world..

-Mike Doran

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:04

It was my elder cousin who sent me three days ago the message about the
passing of Charlie Watts.
I was at work and could not believe it.
I did not want to believe...couple of minutes more messages popped up...

I never met Charlie Watts in person, he was not a family member or a friend.
The four shows I saw the Stones I will always remember, it was the closest I got
to Charlie Watts, but since the early seventies, when my elder cousin introduced me
to the music of the Rolling Stones, it became a life long relation between this music
and me...of course we had our problems, but everything went fine...when somehow a circle closed.

My thoughts are with his family and friends...

Rest in Peace

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:10

Charlie "boom boom" Watts always received the loudest ovation. I hope he can he hear us now...Shine A Light..

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:15

Charlie Watts was the band's beating heart and soul. Charlie was good every night.

Philadelphia PA - 6/21/13

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:18

Such a sad time for his family and friends but also the hundreds of thousands of fans around the world. Normally I can find reactions to the death of a "celebrity" a bit over the top, but in Charlie's case it genuinely does impact on my life. Like lots of people on here I travel to a lot of Stones gigs and have built family holidays around them. This is a time to reflect and to thank Charlie and the others for the pleasure they've given, and for enabling me to visit places I would never have visited and meet lots of new friends along the way, all of us having one thing in common.

So, thanks for the memories Charlie.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:19

I love The Rolling Stones.

God Bless Charlie Watts and my sincere condolences to his family and close friends. I pray that you all find peace in your lives.

I have seen 33 Rolling Stones shows. From the Pontiac Silverdome November 30, 1981 up to the Miami Florida hurricane show on August 30, 2019. Charlie Watts ruled them all.
Lucky Dip pits, Super Bowl Halftime, Toronto SARS gig and on the rail in Austria. Churchill Downs, Los Angeles Coliseum, and the Aragon Ballroom. MSG too.

I live a charmed life and am so very grateful to have witnessed the greatness of Charlie Watts so many times in so many wonderful places with so many wonderful people.
All of my family and all of my friends. A kinship and an unbreakable bond.

Over the years, I have gravitated to different members of the band to call my “favorite.” I have had Keith years, Mick years and lots of Ronnie years.
But in all honesty, I probably would never have answered that “Charlie” was my favorite in any given phase of my fandom.

Yet, HE WAS ALWAYS THERE. ALWAYS COOL. ALWAYS SOLID. ALWAYS THERE.
He was always there.

We all have so many sweet memories of him behind that unassuming kit. His sly grins, his bashfulness, his loving waves and his socks. The man wore some SWEET socks!

I am heartbroken at the thought of never seeing him again.

Today, I do not feel like going to another Stones concert ever again. All of my tour memories contain Charlie Watts. The ruler of them all.
Rest in Peace.
Thank you Charlie, I know now that you are my favorite Rolling Stone.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:21

I am watching you remember Bobby Keys in such warm and sincere words and somehow now they seem appropriate in this moment, for you, to thank you. You say:“He never pretended and was no Sonny Stitt. He wasn't Charlie Parker, he never pretended to be. But he was the best at what he did.”

Miss you actually, miss you a lot.

Maurizio

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:47

Dear Charlie,

you gave us countless hours of music that we still love so much. There are not a lot like you, who gave their best for almost 6 decades and that in style. You have been part of so many peoples musically life. The coolest drummer ever leaves a big gap in the music scene and in his family. All I can say is: "Thank you for the music". I send my condolences to your family, to your band colleagues and to everyone who loved you. We all miss you.

RIP Charlie Watts

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:47

Ran into Charlie at Hittsville in Detroit as he was finishing a tour of the studio and I was about to begin one. He saw that I recognized him and stood patiently, most likely expecting me to begin chatting with him, but he was there for a tour himself so I said nothing and walked off.. Wow. Can't believe he's gone now

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:55

Charlie sat in the back as all drummers do, and I often peeked at him to see his expression or watch his style. Guitars have sustain enhancements but drums do not. It's a tough job and Charlie did it brilliantly for 60 + years, an eternity in rock music. Many of rock's best bands have lost their drummer, and now the Stones have lost Charlie. He'll have plenty of company to bang the skins with in heaven. So next time you're lying in bed during a thunderstorm and you hear loud crash of thunder that scares the heck out of you, it just might be Charlie and his friends saying hello.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:56

thank you charlie for all that you have given and done for us fans. the interaction between you and keith was where the magic of the rolling stones was born. you gave us everything and made our lives better. one of the best things about a stones show was during the opener and mick walking back to the kit and checking in to see if everything is alright. it always was. your life and your work has always been a blessing and our gratitude will always be evergreen, just like the music.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:58

Maybe Charlie wasn't the most flashy of drummers. But I can still remember the day I first heard the explosive toms at the start of Honky Tonk Women. And that's what hooked me onto the Stones.

I didn't know Charlie the person. But I knew him as a musician. A musician who played the backbeat of my life. Always there, whether I've been happy or sad. But whenever I hear the Stones I can say one thing. I come out happier than when I started. That's the power of being a musician, you can can bring joy to the lives of millions of people.

Rest in peace Charlie.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:03

Several days later and I am still in disbelief and heartbroken. I can't thank you enough for all the joy you've given me over the years. My condolences to the Watts family and of course the Rolling Stones family which includes all of us here. The music will live on but, Charlie, you will be deeply missed.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:19

My fondness for Charlie grew over the years. I came to appreciate the reluctant soldier keeping this band going for his bandmates and all us fans. I admired him and appreciated him so much for continuing to go out on the road when it was well known he didn't really like touring. I've lost count but 55 or so Stones shows and I thank Charlie most of all for bringing the joy of those into my life. I finally got a stick in Chicago 2019, it now means so much more to me to have that. I'm still so shocked and sad, tears well in my eyes as I type this but I have the cherished memories I will hold onto tightly. I did not know Charlie Watts of course, yet his passing leaves a huge hole in my heart, an irreplaceable void in my life. To me, there are no Rolling Stones without one of these men, especially without Charlie. Thank you Mr. Watts, rest in peace.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 21:51 by JN99.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:22

You are one cool f*cking dude. Not just because of the music, but also because of who you are. It won't be the same without you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 18:23 by ryanpow.

Date: August 27, 2021 18:27

Charlie has created memories for me that will last forever. His invaluable contributions to his incredible band will never be forgotten.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:58

Charlie, what can I say?

Your talent helped produce a sound that I fell in love with over 45 years ago. The sound that has provided the soundtrack to my life, your gigs with your fellow Stones and with your own Jazz band are personal highlights in a life immersed in music. Your influences became my passions so thanks to you I discovered Miles, Coltrane and many, many more.

I never had the privilege of meeting you, somehow I didn't want to. You were a private person and I would not have wanted to intrude on that. You were a fantastic drummer, a true English gentleman blessed with a little eccentricity.

The outpouring of grief coupled with love since your passing was announced has been a joy to behold but it's a joy tinged with sadness that you're no longer with us.

Thank you for everything Mr Watts, you're irreplaceable.

With much love and even more thanks

A x

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:21

I saw The Stones for the first time on July 29th, 1998 in Copenhagen. My dad had to drag me there almost. But I walked out a big fan and I wanted to learn much more about that guitar, that song, those drums etc. I was hooked. I finished 10th grade that summer, got my first girlfriend and lost my first girlfriend. My first real experience with heartbreak. She was in Copenhagen on vacation and we talked on the phone. She asked if I wanted to come to Copenhagen, and of course I did, though “My dad wanted me to go to a show of some band”. Plans were made, but then she called me up a few days later and broke up before I even had left to meet her in Denmark’s capital. I was heartbroken. Guess what made me forget all about her? The Rolling Stones baby!
Now, here’s the Charlie part. I started a higher education school at the end of the vacation, and in September there’s be a week long school arranged trip to Berlin. I was living in Hotel Pension Seifert close to the Kurfürstendamm. All over the city there was Stones posters. They were playing Waldbühne the night before we were set to go home. I wanted to go, but I had no money left and no idea how to get there (I was almost 17 at the time). So September 9th I was standing looking out over the balcony from our hotel room. A guy called Rune was snorting speed, doing coke and smoking weed all the time. I never touched it though. Us 5 guys were on the balcony drinking a few beers and this big blue car came down the street. It had a sunroof at the back, which was open in the hot summer. I spied down through it from around 10 meters up, and it looked like Charlie. I said to the guys “Is that Charlie Watts down there”? They asked me who the hell Charlie Watts was. The guy in the back turned his head as I had the best look at it, and that outline was unmistakable. I bolted out the room, down the stairs and out to the street. I saw the car up ahead and it was stopping at a red light. I sprinted after it and it started driving again. I caught up to the back side window and there was Charlie Watts behind a closed window. I waved at him as hard as I could. He looked a tad puzzled, but then gave a stare right in my eyes and a short but firm wave. Then I stopped running. Flushed with joy. That’s a memory I’ll carry with me for the rest of my time.
Rest in peace Charlie. You were one of a kind.
So long, one love, I’ll see you up there and thanks for the wave.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:51

Dear Charlie,
Just thank you. Thank you for being the musician and human being you was.
We are all gonna miss you like crazy.
Rest in peace, Mr. Watts. Your legacy will live on forever.
The good Lord will shine a light on you.
Lots of Love,
RG.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:00

One of my favorite parts of a Stones concert was the introduction of Charlie. He was the reluctant recipient of the adoration sent his way. Charlie, the Gentleman Stone. You are missed and loved so very much. RIP.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:05

THE SAD DAY AFTER.
Onwezenlijk allemaal. Het gevoel van het verlies van een vriend. Het zelfde verdrietige gevoel als het overlijden van Johan Cruijff. Deze dag vandaag heel veel reacties online en zo bekeken. Dat raakt me dan meer dan een beetje, als je denkt aan het verlies voor al zijn naasten, familie en vrienden, ook vooral in het hechte Stones wereldje. En dan denk ik niet eerst aan de fans, maar aan mede muzikanten en de vrouw van Charlie, dochter Seraphina en kleindochter Charlotte en aan de vrouwen, kinderen en kleinkinderen van Keith, Mick, en Ronnie. Ook aan de gastmuzikanten als Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler, Darryl Jones bassist, Karl Denson's, Sasha Allen en anderen die veel met Charlie te maken hebben en met hem gewerkt hebben. sad smileyconfused smileysad smileyconfused smiley )-;
#CharlieIsToCoolForSocialMedia

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:15

Thanks for the memories Charlie.
Thanks for the music.
Live with me, Live with all of them forever.
You rock.
Rest in peace.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-28 10:39 by powerage78.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:53

Charlie Robert Watts, your life has enriched mine in ways I can't begin to describe. All of my very best memories are Rolling Stone memories...your passing is not like the passing of other musicians...this is a much deeper hurt. It feels like I was dropped down into a black hole...a hole that no one can fill, after all, there will only be ONE Charlie Watts. There's a video playing in my head now, non-stop, of all the band introductions...you were always shy & humble but what a power-house where it counted! And then there are the final bows..I'm so glad I have photos of you gracefully bowed from the waist with Mick, Keith & Ronnie and most of the time you're smiling with that mega-WATT smile, lighting up the room. Keith's song " This Place Is Empty" is all I hear now...those concert halls will ALWAYS feel empty without you. Thank you for bringing so much joy to my life.

Love, Debra

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 20:57 by mickschix.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 21:20

I am so sad on the passing of Charlie Watts, I will miss him, all I can say is thank you Charlie for all the great shows, my you rest easy.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 27, 2021 21:26

My last photo of Charlie June 2019 Chicago, final bow…0064B97B-E08E-4FA7-AB9F-B472B5CAC8B8 by Chris Bakker, on Flickr[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-29 13:11 by Christiaan.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home