Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Charlie's Funeral
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 14, 2021 16:21

Big Al
Rocktiludrop

Seriously you think they can't go due to covid ? As long as the venue is big enough, it's not a problem.

Whatever man, as i say that's my opinion

It isn't anything to do with the size of venue; more the fact that quarantine, etc, wold come into play. Logistically, it'd mean that, perhaps, the tour would be affected. I'm sure they all wanted to attend.

Look that was my knee jerk reaction when i read the Sun online today and im sticking to it, 60 years of friendship and loyalty, its the least they could do ( if they wanted to)

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 14, 2021 16:25

Its a shame...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 17:18 by Kurt.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2021 17:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 17:20 by Irix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 14, 2021 17:27

MisterDDDD
24FPS
It's none of our business what Charlie's funeral arrangements are. The last thing on their minds is the fan's concerns. Some are already to go marching on with a Watts-less Stones.

24FPS
Please refresh my memory. I got LDs in 2013, but I've forgotten how I got them. Do you go directly through TicketMaster by phone, or do you do it online? This is for the new Los Angeles concert on October 14th. And how many LDs can you get at one time?

that's cruel.

Date: September 14, 2021 17:38

I am sure they all wanted to attend but with the travel restrictions were unable to.

Another way to look at it is Charlie was a quiet and peaceful man and having Mick, Keith and Ronnie show up would have brought media attention that was unwanted.

Down the road I am sure we'll hear more about the funeral.

Perhaps Bill was in attendance.

Date: September 14, 2021 18:27

georgemcdonnell314
I am sure they all wanted to attend but with the travel restrictions were unable to.

Another way to look at it is Charlie was a quiet and peaceful man and having Mick, Keith and Ronnie show up would have brought media attention that was unwanted.

Like the huge media attention rehearsals have caused.
Come on, if the Stones don't want media attention they don't get it.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 14, 2021 19:09

I'm not jumping to any conclusions as we just don't know the facts.

I'm hoping it was what the family wanted, and obviously Charlie will get a tribute to him in some way, every time The Rolling Stones go on stage on this USA Tour. thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 14, 2021 19:19

As posted earlier its states that The Stones will pay tribute to Charlie in the UK later on this year.

[www.devonlive.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2021 19:59

More Hot Rocks
As posted earlier its states that The Stones will pay tribute to Charlie in the UK later on this year.

[www.devonlive.com]

Can't help but think back to Charlie's last public statement regarding sitting out the tour, which he finished by saying that he was "looking forward to rejoining the band later this year". No doubt he'll do just that in spirit when they honor him there.. later this year.

Date: September 14, 2021 20:02

I think Charlies spirit will be with us on this tour and forevermore.

MisterDDDD
More Hot Rocks

[www.devonlive.com]

Can't help but think back to Charlie's last public statement regarding sitting out the tour, which he finished by saying that he was "looking forward to rejoining the band later this year". No doubt he'll do just that in spirit when they honor him there.. later this year.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 14, 2021 20:31

Even if the Stones COULD have attended the funeral, they would NOT have been allowed to return to the States in time to rehearse properly and start the tour on time due to Covid restrictions. Anyone who thinks that Mick, Keith & Ronnie did not WANT to attend are just plain misinformed. They are planning their own UK ceremony to honor Charlie once this tour is over. I still can't believe the tour is going forward...with all of the news that Covid is still infecting people at an alarming rate in mostly the States the tour is travelling to...just my opinion. I remain very concerned for the safety of the band & the fans.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 14, 2021 21:06

Rocktiludrop
georgemcdonnell314

Like the huge media attention rehearsals have caused.
Come on, if the Stones don't want media attention they don't get it.

Now you're underestimating the power of the media here. They will find their ways, no matter the cost, no matter the dirt they have to spread, bribes, etc.
I think it's best they didn't come to (the?) funeral. My mom always told me "don't waste flowers on my grave. Give as many as you like while I can enjoy them alive". And so we did.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 14, 2021 21:25

mickschix
Even if the Stones COULD have attended the funeral, they would NOT have been allowed to return to the States in time to rehearse properly and start the tour on time due to Covid restrictions. Anyone who thinks that Mick, Keith & Ronnie did not WANT to attend are just plain misinformed. They are planning their own UK ceremony to honor Charlie once this tour is over. I still can't believe the tour is going forward...with all of the news that Covid is still infecting people at an alarming rate in mostly the States the tour is travelling to...just my opinion. I remain very concerned for the safety of the band & the fans.

I feel the same as you. I could not possibly imagine a situation more desolate. Don't know how it would be if we at least had a written statement from them. I thought it would take them some time but this weird silence is louder than words. Maybe that is the only point they are able to make...

Date: September 14, 2021 21:43

I was behind Mick and Keith with the attitude of the show must go on, and admired Micks determination to not be defeated by covid, but as i said, my Initial reaction to them not going to Charlie's funeral was for me, shocking, it's saddened me that all that apparently matters to them is doing these ridiculously extended rehearsals at the expense of attending their dear friends funeral.
I mean how long do they need to rehearse Brown Sugar and Start Me Up etc.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 14, 2021 22:09

Rocktiludrop
I was behind Mick and Keith with the attitude of the show must go on, and admired Micks determination to not be defeated by covid, but as i said, my Initial reaction to them not going to Charlie's funeral was for me, shocking, it's saddened me that all that apparently matters to them is doing these ridiculously extended rehearsals at the expense of attending their dear friends funeral.

Covid quarantine rules for UK-US travel. Simples. It would have been 14 days each side - totally impractical. Charlie himself wanted the shoe to go on and even chose his own replacement. I'm sure Charlie's family would have accepted that. It meant they could say their final goodbye privately with no media circus in attendance. We knew nothing about it all until after the event and I'm sure that was what they wanted. No photos or even a date in the press - nothing. A memorial and celebration of his life here in the UK long after the initial shock would seem very appropriate to me.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 14, 2021 22:29

Grzegorz67, while there obviously are COVID restrictions in place (and, at least according to the tabloids, that was the reason keeping them from attending the funeral), it's not 14 days each side. Entering the UK from the US no longer requires a quarantine if you're fully vaccinated. USA is on the "amber" list of countries.

[www.gov.uk]

One thing to consider is this: do we even know if the funeral was family only or if guests were invited? We don't. The tabloids just say it was "private".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 22:59 by Topi.

Date: September 14, 2021 22:50

grzegorz67
Rocktiludrop

Covid quarantine rules for UK-US travel. Simples. It would have been 14 days each side - totally impractical. Charlie himself wanted the shoe to go on and even chose his own replacement. I'm sure Charlie's family would have accepted that. It meant they could say their final goodbye privately with no media circus in attendance. We knew nothing about it all until after the event and I'm sure that was what they wanted. No photos or even a date in the press - nothing. A memorial and celebration of his life here in the UK long after the initial shock would seem very appropriate to me.

Yes i see what you mean, if its what the family wanted fair play to them.

Date: September 14, 2021 22:55

You are absolutely right and thank you for posting this. It needed to be said.

One reason I am hitting the first couple of shows is for safety. It will be difficult later in the tour if there are more restrictions for travel.

None of us know what is coming down the road but if the virus keeps getting worse we may not be able to make the shows which require airfare or other forms of travel.

mickschix

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 14, 2021 22:59

If entering the U.K. from the USA then no quarantine is required and they could have flown straight back into the states on a NIE visa with no requirement to quarantine.

Who cares if they attend the funeral or not it’s just one of many ways to remember someone who has died and like Topi said it’s possible the family wanted a small private service.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 14, 2021 23:20

Topi
Grzegorz67, while there obviously are COVID restrictions in place (and, at least according to the tabloids, that was the reason keeping them from attending the funeral), it's not 14 days each side. Entering the UK from the US no longer requires a quarantine if you're fully vaccinated. USA is on the "amber" list of countries.

[www.gov.uk]

One thing to consider is this: do we even know if the funeral was family only or if guests were invited? We don't. The tabloids just say it was "private".

We know absolutely zero details, not even a date and there are no photos.Probably what they wanted.Probably Charlie too given how understated he was. All we know is that it was near where he lived in Devon last week.and nothing more.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 15, 2021 00:07

Ex-Rolling Stones tour manager and author Sam Cutler remembers his friend Charlie Watts, a laid-back, home-loving Rolling Stone whose funeral was fittingly modest and private

It's fitting to learn that Charlie Watts’ funeral – held last week in Devon, the place that he loved best – was modest and private.

It perfectly reflects the man he was, and I completely understand the choice that was made. He would have hated a fuss and the commotion that involving the public would have meant.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2021 01:24

Rocktiludrop
Gazza
Rocktiludrop
It's a bit disappointing that rehearsals have meant none of the Stones have gone to Charlie's funeral, it's disrespectful, but that's my opinion, it was the last respects thank you and goodbye they could have gave him.

For real? They wouldnt have been allowed to attend. Plus his family wanted the funeral to be private and without fuss.

Who were they being 'disrespectful' to?

Seriously you think they can't go due to covid ? As long as the venue is big enough, it's not a problem.

Whatever man, as i say that's my opinion

The only person whose feelings matter as far as their decision is concerned is Shirley Watts. Not you and not me. If she is ok with it, thats good enough for me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 15, 2021 01:39

Sad situation...RIP Charlie.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:23

Are your closest friends not family? How many close friends does one have? A couple to a handful. All I know is that I would not miss being there if he was a lifelong close friend. Especially if wealth is no object. That is a guilt that would haunt me for eternity. However, there is a possibility that none of the band members were really close to Charlie. Maybe there was acrimony. Either way it's incredibly sad.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:36

The Sicilian
Are your closest friends not family? How many close friends does one have? A couple to a handful. All I know is that I would not miss being there if he was a lifelong close friend. Especially if wealth is no object. That is a guilt that would haunt me for eternity. However, there is a possibility that none of the band members were really close to Charlie. Maybe there was acrimony. Either way it's incredibly sad.

Not sure how anyone could think that none of the band members were close to Charlie, if they've followed the band for even a very short time.

The possibility you fail to take into account is the one that is most likely.
The family (and perhaps even Charlie) wanted it this way, and didn't want the added publicity and intrusion the band members would bring.

A private funeral for a private man.
A planned public memorial by the band for the public Charlie.
Exactly as Charlie wanted no doubt.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:47

MisterDDDD
The Sicilian

Not sure how anyone could think that none of the band members were close to Charlie, if they've followed the band for even a very short time.

The possibility you fail to take into account is the one that is most likely.
The family (and perhaps even Charlie) wanted it this way, and didn't want the added publicity and intrusion the band members would bring.

A private funeral for a private man.
A planned public memorial by the band for the public Charlie.
Exactly as Charlie wanted no doubt.

Let's just say we agree to disagree. If your supposed best friends of 60+ years are not included in a private ceremony, then... According to reports there were a few (maybe a couple) friends at the funeral. Maybe Charlie's wife didn't really care for the band members. That I can understand.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:13

Charlie lived in Dolton, a small town in the Devon county.
Surely there wouldn't be many cemeteries there, you might say..Hasn't there been a local Stones fan from the region who has made a 'tour' of the cemeteries there?

If Charlies was indeed buried instead of cremated, a new grave would be easy to find, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 18:15 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:39

ribbelchips
Surely there wouldn't be many cemeteries there, you might say..Hasn't there been a local Stones fan from the region who has made a 'tour' of the cemeteries there?

If Charlies was indeed buried instead of cremated, a new grave would be easy to find, right?

Dolton isn’t even a town it’s a small village. There are quite a few Churches and cemeteries dotted around that part of the world. My mother lives literally a few miles down the road from Dolton and there was no mention of the funeral, not even whispers amongst the locals. Seems to me it was private just as the family wished.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:38

ribbelchips

Not something the family would want to be "found". Private people.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 21:13

Is it possible he was buried on the ranch?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home