Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Charlie's Funeral
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 1, 2021 10:10

According to Alan Clayson’s 2011 biography of Watts, the latter’s “first public engagements were with a so-so semi-professional unit whose principal stock-in-trade was Jewish wedding receptions. ‘I never knew what the hell was going on,’ confessed Charlie, ‘as I’m not Jewish.’”

[forward.com]

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: September 1, 2021 11:59

On the other hand, the statement that ”I’d done three years apprenticeship and wanted more money, being Jewish, so I moved to a bigger firm, which sent me to Sweden, ah, Denmark” would be very strange, not to say unpleasant, if he wasn't somehow Jewish, making a tongue in cheek remark about his background.

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: September 1, 2021 14:40

The Sicilian
Regardless, a private funeral doesn't mean people can't line the streets and say goodbye as the hearse passes.

Common decency means you don't do anything the family doesn't want done. There are other ways to mourn Charlie as a fan that don't upset his family and friends. It's not about what any of us want -- it's what THEY want. And someone who wants a PRIVATE funeral pretty much implies they don't want people lining the streets, many hoping to end up in the papers or on the TV saying how THIS IS THE END OF AN ERA, or, THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY YOUTH HAS DIED...sheesh.

If you do want to honor Charlie, Forever Hounds Trust is collecting memorial donations, that's the organization that rescues the greyhounds that Charlie and Shirley have adopted, might want to skip a pint and help them out in his memory: [foreverhoundstrust.org]

And I do have to say, this thread reminds me of conversations when I would visit my aunt in the common room of her care home.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 1, 2021 16:36

thumbs up

Posted by: VoodooAllie ()
Date: September 1, 2021 16:51

Thanks for posting the link MainStreetExile!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 1, 2021 16:57

MainStreetExile
The Sicilian
Regardless, a private funeral doesn't mean people can't line the streets and say goodbye as the hearse passes.

Common decency means you don't do anything the family doesn't want done. There are other ways to mourn Charlie as a fan that don't upset his family and friends. It's not about what any of us want -- it's what THEY want. And someone who wants a PRIVATE funeral pretty much implies they don't want people lining the streets, many hoping to end up in the papers or on the TV saying how THIS IS THE END OF AN ERA, or, THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY YOUTH HAS DIED...sheesh.

Just like when people put "flowers gratefully declined" into the obituary, then you walk into the funeral parlor and there are flower arrangements everywhere. Sure there may be some curious onlookers but fans and friends standing on the sidewalk watching the hearse pass by is a sign of RESPECT between that person and the deceased not some newspaper folly, really is that what you think? People wave goodbye, weep, say a prayer. BTW, private or not, the street is public.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 1, 2021 17:29

The Sicilian
MainStreetExile
The Sicilian

Just like when people put "flowers gratefully declined" into the obituary, then you walk into the funeral parlor and there are flower arrangements everywhere. Sure there may be some curious onlookers but fans and friends standing on the sidewalk watching the hearse pass by is a sign of RESPECT between that person and the deceased not some newspaper folly, really is that what you think? People wave goodbye, weep, say a prayer. BTW, private or not, the street is public.

In that circumstance, the flowers would have been from close family only.

The street is a public place, but anything that goes against the wishes of the grieving family most certainly IS disrespectful. At a guess, Charlie had been unwell for some time and the funeral already arranged. It might even have taken place already for all we know. Nothing in the UK press.

The time for the general public to get involved is at a public memorial at a later date, if there is one.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 1, 2021 17:39

Prayers for Charlie, his family, friends, bandmates, and fans.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 1, 2021 18:08

grzegorz67
The Sicilian
MainStreetExile
The Sicilian

In that circumstance, the flowers would have been from close family only.

The street is a public place, but anything that goes against the wishes of the grieving family most certainly IS disrespectful. At a guess, Charlie had been unwell for some time and the funeral already arranged. It might even have taken place already for all we know. Nothing in the UK press.

The time for the general public to get involved is at a public memorial at a later date, if there is one.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. There are suggestions and gestures and then there is reality. Politicians and celebrities are bound to fame to the grave. See Jim Morrison's grave. There is no disrespect in showing respect for the deceased.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2021 21:03

It's none of our business what Charlie's funeral arrangements are. The last thing on their minds is the fan's concerns. Some are already to go marching on with a Watts-less Stones.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 1, 2021 21:30

It is still sad and strange to see a thread titled "Charlie's funeral" - a book on Charlie Watts was mentioned here. Actually I feel to old to read another book on the Stones, but I might do an exception. My question: Is this book worth reading, or is it the same collection of old and made up stories?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 1, 2021 22:00

windmelody

My question: Is this book worth reading, or is it the same collection of old and made up stories?

See this thread: [iorr.org] . See also the customer reviews on [www.Amazon.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-02 16:20 by Irix.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 1, 2021 22:11

Thank you Irix.

Posted by: Davie137 ()
Date: September 1, 2021 23:54

I was very surprised that there were no flowers laid at his gate when me and my son laid some at the weekend

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-01 23:56 by Davie137.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 2, 2021 00:50

That’s how private he was, nobody knows where he lives. But I did see a post here somewhere with flowers at his gate.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 2, 2021 01:11

windmelody
It is still sad and strange to see a thread titled "Charlie's funeral" - a book on Charlie Watts was mentioned here. Actually I feel to old to read another book on the Stones, but I might do an exception. My question: Is this book worth reading, or is it the same collection of old and made up stories?

I read it a year ago. Don't remember anything memorable about it. The same glaring mistakes here and there. You don't really learn anything about Charlie that's for sure.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 2, 2021 02:08

Koen
That’s how private he was, nobody knows where he lives. But I did see a post here somewhere with flowers at his gate.

Where he lived is not a secret. But it's remote and rural and no-one ever bothered him there - just as he liked it.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 2, 2021 03:22

grzegorz67
Koen

Where he lived is not a secret. But it's remote and rural and no-one ever bothered him there - just as he liked it.

True, it's all public. Just have a look on google maps lol

Nice place. I can understand why he loved living there. Can't keep horses in sleepy London town.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 2, 2021 04:38

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: September 1, 2021 11:59

On the other hand, the statement that ”I’d done three years apprenticeship and wanted more money, being Jewish, so I moved to a bigger firm, which sent me to Sweden, ah, Denmark” would be very strange, not to say unpleasant, if he wasn't somehow Jewish, making a tongue in cheek remark about his background.

thats why i didn't directly quote him cause i didn't want people to interpet his comment that way
booth's whole book is kind of full of stuff like that i mean i get that he was trying to capture the feel of the late 60's and the culture good and bad which he seem to do well including the casual rascist comments people just made without thinking but it can be pretty jarring to my millennial mind as someone who didn't live through those times
i mean a few pages before that he quotes keith saying that "brian and his girlfriend lived where all the spades did" did a double take after reading that
but back to charlie i think he was ethnically jewish but didn't practice and jewish cultural traditions and thus didn't consider himself jewish

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 14, 2021 11:48

Charlie was buried last week in Devon.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 14, 2021 12:13

Rolling Stones miss Charlie Watts' funeral in Devon due to Covid restrictions

The band stayed in Boston, US, where they are rehearsing for their upcoming tour and missed the private ceremony in Devon last week.

A source told the paper the band will instead pay tribute to Charlie during their upcoming shows and a celebration of his life is planned in the UK later this year.

[www.devonlive.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 12:17 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 14, 2021 12:19

Charlie Watts' devastated Rolling Stones bandmates miss his funeral due to Covid

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 14, 2021 12:42

paulspendel

Wondering if he was buried then on his & Shirley's farm.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2021 14:46

24FPS
It's none of our business what Charlie's funeral arrangements are. The last thing on their minds is the fan's concerns. Some are already to go marching on with a Watts-less Stones.

24FPS
Please refresh my memory. I got LDs in 2013, but I've forgotten how I got them. Do you go directly through TicketMaster by phone, or do you do it online? This is for the new Los Angeles concert on October 14th. And how many LDs can you get at one time?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 14, 2021 14:57

StonedAsiaExile
paulspendel

Wondering if he was buried then on his & Shirley's farm.

Less common in the UK than in other parts of the world.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 14, 2021 15:19

It's a bit disappointing that rehearsals have meant none of the Stones have gone to Charlie's funeral, it's disrespectful, but that's my opinion, it was the last respects thank you and goodbye they could have gave him.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2021 15:32

Rocktiludrop
It's a bit disappointing that rehearsals have meant none of the Stones have gone to Charlie's funeral, it's disrespectful, but that's my opinion, it was the last respects thank you and goodbye they could have gave him.

For real? They wouldnt have been allowed to attend. Plus his family wanted the funeral to be private and without fuss.

Who were they being 'disrespectful' to?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 14, 2021 15:34

I'm glad to learn that Charlie's family was able to bury him in peace.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 14, 2021 16:01

Gazza
Rocktiludrop

For real? They wouldnt have been allowed to attend. Plus his family wanted the funeral to be private and without fuss.

Who were they being 'disrespectful' to?

Seriously you think they can't go due to covid ? As long as the venue is big enough, it's not a problem.

Whatever man, as i say that's my opinion

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 16:07 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 14, 2021 16:11

Rocktiludrop

Seriously you think they can't go due to covid ? As long as the venue is big enough, it's not a problem.

Whatever man, as i say that's my opinion

It isn't anything to do with the size of venue; more the fact that quarantine, etc, wold come into play. Logistically, it'd mean that, perhaps, the tour would be affected. I'm sure they all wanted to attend.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home