Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Charlie's Funeral
Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 26, 2021 17:54

Charlie past away last tuesday, so his funeral will probably take place next saturday or early next week. Does anyone know how many people are currently allowed to attend a funeral in England, during the pandemic?

Would there be a public funeral, or for a select few (family/friends)? David Bowie was secretly cremated shortly afther his death, to prevent hordes of people from coming. I can imagine that one does not want a large group of people, in this covid period...

Re: Charlie's Funeral
Date: August 26, 2021 17:59

Knowing Charlie was a private person I can make a guess...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 26, 2021 19:48

Regardless, a private funeral doesn't mean people can't line the streets and say goodbye as the hearse passes.

Date: August 26, 2021 19:54

Can't we discuss this in that other thread?

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 26, 2021 19:55

There are no pandemic restrictions on funeral attendance numbers in England at the moment. It is not uncommon for a funeral here to take place several weeks after death. Timing depends on logistics.
I was thinking that travel restrictions will be far more of a problem if the Watt's family want friends and colleagues to have the chance to attend. There are quarantine restrictions entering the UK (which can be got round fairly swiftly if you are rich and famous!) but I understand there are also restrictions on entering the US direct from the UK. I'm guessing it would be very difficult for any of the band to get back into the US if they made the trip back here for the funeral in the timescales before the US tour.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 26, 2021 20:23

"I'm guessing it would be very difficult for any of the band to get back into the US if they made the trip back here for the funeral in the timescales before the US tour."
What an unfortunate circumstance regardimg this sorrow filled situation.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:09

You're assuming there would be a funeral and an actual burial. I think Charlie, just my opinion, would abhor having one of those rock star gravesites where 'fans' leave empty liquor bottles, joints, etc. I believe Lennon and Harrison were cremated, ashes scattered. Charlie might do the same, after a private memorial service with close friends and family.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:26

24FPS
You're assuming there would be a funeral and an actual burial. I think Charlie, just my opinion, would abhor having one of those rock star gravesites where 'fans' leave empty liquor bottles, joints, etc. I believe Lennon and Harrison were cremated, ashes scattered. Charlie might do the same, after a private memorial service with close friends and family.

I'm certainly not assuming anything about burial or cremation. In the UK however, a 'funeral' - whether preceding a burial or cremation - refers to the service with the body present and it is highly unusual for there not to be some service (often secular) with the body before interment or cremation, either at a church or crematorium, however small or unattended. That could certainly be for close family and friends (although I would expect Charlie's close friends would include Mick, Keith, Ronnie and, indeed Bill, in normal times) A memorial service refers to precisely that - without the body and usually weeks or months later and attended by more people. The functions are different - a funeral is about immediate grieving and farewells (including any religious believes held) and a memorial service is much more focussed on giving thanks for a life after the immediate grieving is past. A memorial service when travel restrictions are less might well be the route taken.

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:38

It may be strange, but like Brian's funeral, only Bill might be there in attendance.

It`s nice to be here, .....

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:40

witterings
It may be strange, but like Brian's funeral, only Bill might be there in attendance.

Charlie was at Brian's funeral. Mick was in Australia. Keith was here and chose not to attend.

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:55

I know that Charlie attended Brian's Funeral with Bill, but now .....

Mick + Keith + Ronnie are maybe in the States and won't be able to attend, due to Corona Regulations of the US

But I hope this time they will find a way.

It`s nice to be here, .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 22:15 by witterings.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 27, 2021 14:06

I have no idea whether Charlie considered himself a Christian, but are burials even that common place in the U.K. today? I do know that more are cremated.

Date: August 27, 2021 15:00

Big Al
I have no idea whether Charlie considered himself a Christian, but are burials even that common place in the U.K. today? I do know that more are cremated.

I think they’re pretty rare to be honest. Nearly everyone gets cremated here when they die nowadays and have done for some time. We’re a bit crowded and running out of space!

Charlie’s mum was a Jew and I read somewhere that Charlie considered himself one in a passive sort of way so no idea what that entails.

Date: August 27, 2021 15:19

Big Al

Depends on the person. Many of the older generation have already purchased plots or have a family plot next to a loved one.

Date: August 27, 2021 15:38

The Sicilian
Big Al

Depends on the person. Many of the older generation have already purchased plots or have a family plot next to a loved one.

You’re in the US aren’t you? It’s different here in the U.K. Cremation is very much the norm here nowadays and has been for decades. There are still a few burials but they’re very much in the minority.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:11

Cremations are pretty common here too. There may even be a memorial later. You can delay as opposed to a burial.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:17

According to funeral director statistics, cremations overtook burials several years ago as the most popular choice in the United States.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 16:17 by tatters.

Date: August 27, 2021 16:37

tatters
According to funeral director statistics, cremations overtook burials several years ago as the most popular choice in the United States.

Here in the U.K., it’s been several decades and not merely several years. The simple explanation is a shortage of space. We have about 8 times your population density and land prices here are now OTT.

Whatever the manner of Charlie’s final goodbye, it will likely be a very private affair with only close family and friends present, in keeping with his personality.

Maybe later, months after the initial grief there will be a memorial or tribute concert to celebrate his life, probably in his hometown of London, though he and Shirley lived in rural Devon for a very long time.

Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:46

I really hope they make the location public purely because I would love to pay respects as the hearse drives past or when it arrives at the Church etc. I live in London so it would be easy to attend. Full respect if it's a totally private funeral too of course, Whatever Charlie wanted would be respected smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2021 17:41

grzegorz67
tatters

Here in the U.K., it’s been several decades and not merely several years. The simple explanation is a shortage of space. We have about 8 times your population density and land prices here are now OTT.

Whatever the manner of Charlie’s final goodbye, it will likely be a very private affair with only close family and friends present, in keeping with his personality.

Maybe later, months after the initial grief there will be a memorial or tribute concert to celebrate his life, probably in his hometown of London, though he and Shirley lived in rural Devon for a very long time.

Well cremations are often relegated to people who can't afford a burial or by choice as some may want. But in Charlie's case he is wealthy enough to have a family plot or to purchase one. Many of the older generation purchased plots years ago. Or maybe his wishes were to be cremated or placed in a mausoleum.

Date: August 27, 2021 17:50

The Sicilian
grzegorz67
tatters

Well cremations are often relegated to people who can't afford a burial or by choice as some may want. But in Charlie's case he is wealthy enough to have a family plot or to purchase one. Many of the older generation purchased plots years ago. Or maybe his wishes were to be cremated or placed in a mausoleum.

Please remember that this is the U.K. where things are very different. Of course he’s wealthy enough to buy a plot, as are many others who still choose cremation anyway. I don’t know what, if any, personal beliefs Charlie had but nowadays the U.K. is a very secular place and church attendance is now very low. Loads of churches have closed with the buildings put to other uses such as homes and even bars. A huge chunk of the population here are now either agnostic or atheist.

Posted by: stones1969 ()
Date: August 29, 2021 06:55

Where did you hear his mum was Jewish?

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 29, 2021 13:24

Charlie wasn't Jewish and didn't consider himself one.
At least that's what he told a friend of mine who was his tour guide in Israel back in 2014.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 30, 2021 18:55

well in dance with the devil/true adventures charlie told stanley booth in 68/69 that he was jewish though it might have been in a joking tone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 18:56 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: August 30, 2021 22:20

ProfessorWolf

well in dance with the devil/true adventures charlie told stanley booth in 68/69 that he was jewish though it might have been in a joking tone

Maybe that’s where I got it from. But really, for folks from outside the U.K. religion is a very marginal and declining influence on society here nowadays with over 50% identifying as Agnostic or Atheist and many nominally of faith seldom attending church. Lots of churches have been closed and put to other uses, frequently bars and pubs. I don’t recall any band members professing to have any serious faith at all in recent years and Keith is openly atheist, as am I.

I expect we’ll hear something about Charlie’s final goodbye after the event, but not before. It’s sure to be a private occasion with only close family and friends present.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 30, 2021 23:07

Was it here or on Rock's Off that the mother of a highly respected member lived next door to the Wattses, and confirmed that Charlie's mother was indeed Jewish. To some people (wicked and otherwise) that means Charlie is Jewish, whatever his personal beliefs are. But it's hard to imagine that dictating to him.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 31, 2021 01:21

with sssoul
Was it here or on Rock's Off that the mother of a highly respected member lived next door to the Wattses, and confirmed that Charlie's mother was indeed Jewish. To some people (wicked and otherwise) that means Charlie is Jewish, whatever his personal beliefs are. But it's hard to imagine that dictating to him.

I remember reading that somewhere too that he was Jewish. Not that I care one way or the other. He very well may have been of Jewish ethnicity/heritage while not practicing the Jewish religion.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: August 31, 2021 15:13

Charlie, "Arigato and Mazel tov" in the great beyond. Do not go gentle into that good night. [Soundtrack: No Use in Crying; additional reading]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 1, 2021 00:44

I hope the family and close friends, have a very private time, and they will give Charlie whatever way he would love to say goodbye............... with music that he really loves. thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 1, 2021 08:58

kovach
with sssoul

I remember reading that somewhere too that he was Jewish. Not that I care one way or the other. He very well may have been of Jewish ethnicity/heritage while not practicing the Jewish religion.

My son's mother is Japanese, but he doesn't practice shintoïsm, bhudism, neither karate, judo, aikido or kendo. In fact he loves American basketball and Dutch soccer. Well okay, he loves Japanese food, but then ... me toogrinning smiley.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home