Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Will The Rolling Stones go the way of The Who, or of Led Zeppelin?
Posted by: swaff ()
Date: August 25, 2021 19:37

So I've been asking myself will Mick, Keith and Ronnie keep the machine rolling like The Who, or now that Charlie (ugh, I'm feeling sick just writing this.) has past, will they follow suit of Led Zeppelin and call it "Over"?

Re: Will The Rolling Stones go the way of The Who, or of Led Zeppelin?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 25, 2021 20:12

Especially at this time I don't find it warranted, but instead tasteless for me as a casual Rolling Stones fan either to advise or prophesize. I'd rather not do that later even, as I consider their choice the prerogative of the band's core members. Ought we not as fans have some respect towards them that way?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 25, 2021 20:30

Witness
Especially at this time I don't find it warranted, but instead tasteless for me as a casual Rolling Stones fan either to advise or prophesize. I'd rather not do that later even, as I consider their choice the prerogative of the band's core members. Ought we not as fans have some respect towards them that way?

I feel the same way. People please just stop. Charlie just died yesterday Quit the BS topics.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:01

I think we all know this context. Pondering wouldn`t increase our insight. It would only be a kind of verbal table-tennis like the other threads at this site.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:29

More Hot Rocks
Witness

I feel the same way. People please just stop. Charlie just died yesterday Quit the BS topics.

???

Why would you click on the thread then?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:32

Rokyfan
More Hot Rocks
Witness

???

-Just to post counter-statements, when it`s needed.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:34

Rokyfan
More Hot Rocks
Witness

???

You're not serious are you?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 26, 2021 13:41

Say what you will about the Mighty Led Zeppelin , but Mr. Page and Mr. Plant and Mr. Jones know respect and honor of the mate John Bonham . Honor and Integrity and Respect !

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 26, 2021 14:51

I would fully understand it if they decide to quit. Maybe this is the last straw that breaks the camels back. Let's be honest; Keith is no longer the guitarist he used to be. Relatively simple openingriffs (JJF, SMU, BS) go wrong half of the time and all of his 'solo's' sound like the same mush. Bill and Charlie are already replaced and it's unsure in what kind of shape Ronnie is after his last surgery.

On the other hand; If they still enjoy it, why should they stop? If Charlie decided to quit 15 years ago, Steve Jordan probably celebrated his 15th anniversary as a Rolling Stone by now...

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 26, 2021 18:15

TheGreek
Say what you will about the Mighty Led Zeppelin , but Mr. Page and Mr. Plant and Mr. Jones know respect and honor of the mate John Bonham . Honor and Integrity and Respect !

100% agree. A class response from a very classy group of bandmates. Well said my friend, and well done, once again, to Messrs Plant, Page and Jones. Honour, integrity and respect indeed.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 26, 2021 18:34

More Hot Rocks
Witness

thumbs upthumbs up to both posts!

Date: August 26, 2021 18:38

GerardHennessy
TheGreek

100% agree. A class response from a very classy group of bandmates. Well said my friend, and well done, once again, to Messrs Plant, Page and Jones. Honour, integrity and respect indeed.

It's a decision they possibly regretted, as they did get togethers many times after, using John Bonham's son as a replacement. As far as classy, remember that Page/Plant did a tour and didn't include John Paul Jones, to which at R&R HOF induction, he gave a dig about them "finally remembering my number".

Date: August 26, 2021 19:21

LeonidP
GerardHennessy
TheGreek

It's a decision they possibly regretted, as they did get togethers many times after, using John Bonham's son as a replacement. As far as classy, remember that Page/Plant did a tour and didn't include John Paul Jones, to which at R&R HOF induction, he gave a dig about them "finally remembering my number".
Zeppelin reunited for Live Aid in 1985 , then in 1988 for the Anniversary for Atlantic Records and lastly to honor Ahmett Ertagun in 2007 . I don't know if you count 1995 when they were inducted into Jann Wenners party the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame . Now Page / Plant did record and tour together but it was never called Led Zeppelin .

Date: August 26, 2021 19:50

Just making a point. Obviously some are out to pre-judge the Stones should they continue to roll w/out Charlie, and are trying to compare to others as handling similar situations they deem as tasteful or classy. Some might question those get togethers w/ his son drumming, or doing a "not called LZ", though they were playing LZ songs, and did not ask one of their key members/friends to join, and consider them as distasteful or non-classy.

The Who has some pretty good releases after Keith Moon, btw.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 26, 2021 20:30

Personally, I still haven't gotten over missing Zeppelin. Back in 1977 when Robert Plant's son died I had tickets in my hand. We were 12 days and two shows away from the highly anticipated concert. Of course the tour was rightfully cancelled, as it should have been. Still, I was devastated. So we returned the tickets (we did not get the service charge back)

Then in 1980 another tour was announced and again they were coming to Buffalo and I was ready to camp out and get tickets but before tickets went on sale, John Bonham died and it was all over. I desperately wanted to see them for my own selfish reasons but it wasn't meant to be. As much as I whined about it, I realized that they did the right thing both times.

Date: August 26, 2021 20:55

The Sicilian
Personally, I still haven't gotten over missing Zeppelin. Back in 1977 when Robert Plant's son died I had tickets in my hand. We were 12 days and two shows away from the highly anticipated concert. Of course the tour was rightfully cancelled, as it should have been. Still, I was devastated. So we returned the tickets (we did not get the service charge back)

Then in 1980 another tour was announced and again they were coming to Buffalo and I was ready to camp out and get tickets but before tickets went on sale, John Bonham died and it was all over. I desperately wanted to see them for my own selfish reasons but it wasn't meant to be. As much as I whined about it, I realized that they did the right thing both times.
I had a ticket in 77 for the Seattle Kingdome in the nose bleeds and I had no way of getting out there from the East coast . As I was just a kid and my parents laughed at me for having the nerve to ask them for airfare . Then the same thing in 1980 as they were announced to play locally and then the tragic death of John Bonham happened and that was all she wrote -end of story .

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2021 20:59

The Sicilian

/quote]

I did see them in '77. Kashmir was magnificent. And the Stones should continue if that's what they want. It will never be the real Rolling Stones again, but it hasn't been for some time. I love seeing Brian Wilson and the crack musicians around him, with a couple Beach Boys sprinkled in. Let new fans see the Greatest Hits tour if it makes them happy. How much longer can they continue anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 21:01 by 24FPS.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 27, 2021 01:47

24FPS
The Sicilian

/quote]

I did see them in '77. Kashmir was magnificent. And the Stones should continue if that's what they want. It will never be the real Rolling Stones again, but it hasn't been for some time. I love seeing Brian Wilson and the crack musicians around him, with a couple Beach Boys sprinkled in. Let new fans see the Greatest Hits tour if it makes them happy. How much longer can they continue anyway?

agree. Keep going while they can.

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 27, 2021 01:59

24FPS
The Sicilian

/quote]

In northern California, shows (if memory serves correctly) were announced for the Day on the Green (DOG) series in the Oakland Coliseum Stadium (promoted by the legendary Bill Graham) but before tickets went on sale, Plant got into a car accident in Greece so the shows were canceled. We had all been looking forward to these shows which were supposed to be in August, I think. (I am welcome to any corrections in my memory of this).

Then in March '77, they played some shows in the LA Forum and I went to one of them, but our seats were behind the stage off a back corner. Finally, they came back that summer and played the DOG show(s) in Oakland which I thought was a better show than the LA Forum show I had seen.

Count myself as lucky to have seen them before they dissolved.

plexi

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:17

The Glimmer Twins soldier on, at their age it’s the only logical thing to do.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:17

Each is/was a different situation.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:23

Queen's been touring since 2005 without Freddie Mercury. Not the same band by a mile, but it gives a lot of fans a connection to the live experience of their music. It likely gives Brian May and Roger Taylor a sense of purpose and enjoyment too.

I won't judge the Stones one way or another as to what they decide to do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home