Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: "If there's no Charlie, there's no Stones" (Keith Richards 2004)
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 31, 2021 13:24

At least since the release of Bridges To Babylon, The Rolling Stones is not a band but a project.
We've been waiting for a new album since when? What are the Stones doing but touring and making as much money as possible? Besides "Blue & Lonesome" we've got re-releases and concert footage during the last decade, also intended to raise money.

Most people attending Stones concerts focus on Mick and Keith except us diehard fans. I assume that certainly 99% of the "normal" audience doesn't give a damn who's drumming behind Mick and Keith. And I guess the Stones know about that, hence will continue the project at least until their 60th anniversary next year. A final opportunity to make money on several ways (concerts, merch, records/DVDs, ...).

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 31, 2021 17:13

Topi
Is Keith allowed to change his mind?

Asking for a friend.

Sure, but only if he comes out publicly and says so. I don't want hear it through a publicist or make my own assumptions by his actions.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 31, 2021 18:06

The Sicilian
Topi

Asking for a friend.

Sure, but only if he comes out publicly and says so. I don't want hear it through a publicist or make my own assumptions by his actions.

You have a lot of rules. We could use a list!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 31, 2021 20:56

Source: [www.TimeIsOnOurSide.com]

Charlie Watts (February 2018): The end of the band

Charlie: I think if Mick or Keith retired then it would be [the end]. But they could get another drummer, another guitar player. If Darryl didn’t want to do it anymore we’d have a nightmare finding another bass player but Mick and Keith would or could carry on. If Mick said I’m retiring I don’t know how we’d do a show without him, or Keith.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 31, 2021 21:21

Such a modest man, our Charlie.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 31, 2021 21:35

I hadn't remembered the quote. Reading it now, after the fact, made the band's mortality resonate even more. There are no more shows with Charlie. Presuming they do continue, there aren't many more Rolling Stones shows. Time waits for no one.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 31, 2021 23:30

Rocky Dijon

Source: [www.TimeIsOnOurSide.com]

Charlie Watts (February 2018): The end of the band

Charlie: I think if Mick or Keith retired then it would be [the end]. But they could get another drummer, another guitar player. If Darryl didn’t want to do it anymore we’d have a nightmare finding another bass player but Mick and Keith would or could carry on. If Mick said I’m retiring I don’t know how we’d do a show without him, or Keith.

It's from the Interview by: [www.NME.com] .

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 1, 2021 00:24

Before anybody starts accusing me of telling the remaining men what to do: They are completely free to decide. I do not believe, that Charlie Watts would have minded that his band goes on with another drummer. Yet, and this is not the band's fault, the timing is lousy: Throwing a huge party a few weeks after a colleague of six decades passed away - well, well; it is not anybody's taste - but good luck to the band and the fans who have tickets.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 1, 2021 05:43

I think Keith has been quoted as having said, "It's bigger than the both of us." in talking about the Glimmer Twins' spats over the years.

The Rolling Stones' band has been such a business for so many years until it clearly IS bigger than any one of them. That said, what Charlie said does resonate (with me, at least) that it would be impossible to conceive of a performance without Mick or Keith as being THE Rolling Stones. As much as the Stones' musical credibility was enhanced and verified by Charlie's presence, playing, and participation, and as irreplaceable as we may want him to be, if the Stones play with Steve Jordan, I imagine that if we all closed our eyes, it would sound like the Rolling Stones.

From another angle, when Simon Kirke sat in for 6 numbers at the 100 Club at the Ian Stewart memorial, did anyone think it was not the Rolling Stones?

I'd love to hear many of you most eloquent folk weigh in on that.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 1, 2021 16:44

LeonidP
The Sicilian
Topi

Asking for a friend.

Start with character, credibility and accountability. All people make mistakes.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2021 16:51

stonesstein
I think Keith has been quoted as having said, "It's bigger than the both of us." in talking about the Glimmer Twins' spats over the years.

The Rolling Stones' band has been such a business for so many years until it clearly IS bigger than any one of them. That said, what Charlie said does resonate (with me, at least) that it would be impossible to conceive of a performance without Mick or Keith as being THE Rolling Stones. As much as the Stones' musical credibility was enhanced and verified by Charlie's presence, playing, and participation, and as irreplaceable as we may want him to be, if the Stones play with Steve Jordan, I imagine that if we all closed our eyes, it would sound like the Rolling Stones.

From another angle, when Simon Kirke sat in for 6 numbers at the 100 Club at the Ian Stewart memorial, did anyone think it was not the Rolling Stones?

I'd love to hear many of you most eloquent folk weigh in on that.

I agree with all of that, but will point out when they played with Dave Matthews, it was not the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 1, 2021 18:39

The Sicilian
LeonidP
The Sicilian
Topi

Asking for a friend.

Start with character, credibility and accountability. All people make mistakes.

It's great you're watching our backs. Heathens like myself, and potentially the Stones, depending on their decisions and whether or not Keith properly back tracks on his previous comments, need proper direction, or we could be eternally damned!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 1, 2021 23:52

With age, being rusty and coming off a shaky tour, the band was vulnerable already. I'm very apprehensive about them falling on their faces if they try to keep going.

Re: "We've had other people come and go in the band...but if there's no Charlie, there's no Stones. I wouldn't want to go on if he's not there." - Keith Richards
Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: September 2, 2021 00:03

terraplane
Well take Mick or Keith out of the band and it would never have had the success they had. Although Charlie, Bill and Brian made big contributions in their own right for sure.

I always thought Mick was the closer to Charlie but I could be wrong. It will be hard for all three to go on without their mate for sure.

I got the same impression. In last decades, Charlie would always help Mick with planning stage and album designs, making documentaries for the Stones etc. They shared interests and hobbies and spent lot of time together. They definitely were very close. I remember in one of his interviews, Charlie called Mick a brother.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home