Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: "We've had other people come and go in the band...but if there's no Charlie, there's no Stones. I wouldn't want to go on if he's not there." - Keith Richards
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 26, 2021 11:18

Well take Mick or Keith out of the band and it would never have had the success they had. Although Charlie, Bill and Brian made big contributions in their own right for sure.

I always thought Mick was the closer to Charlie but I could be wrong. It will be hard for all three to go on without their mate for sure.

Re: "We've had other people come and go in the band...but if there's no Charlie, there's no Stones. I wouldn't want to go on if he's not there." - Keith Richards
Date: August 26, 2021 11:34

terraplane
Well take Mick or Keith out of the band and it would never have had the success they had. Although Charlie, Bill and Brian made big contributions in their own right for sure.

I always thought Mick was the closer to Charlie but I could be wrong. It will be hard for all three to go on without their mate for sure.

Did you read the «Lost Rolling Stone»-interview? I'd say Charlie loved them both, but with an extra affection for Keith.

Date: August 26, 2021 11:58

I have never read it. Thanks for the tip. Charlie never did many interviews compared to the others so it will be interesting to get his perspective.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 26, 2021 12:03

Elmo
If the band tours without Charlie a precedent will be set - the money making machine rolls on notwithstanding the death of a founder member. So what happens if/when the same situation applies to Jagger or Richards, who would the others sign to take the place of the two most iconic figures in rock? Or would things be different then and, if so, why?

In striking contrast to some posts, that refer to money making as a sole motive to do more concerts after the overwhelmingly sad loss of Charlie, quite insulting in a situation like this, here I agree there is presented a most valid objection and question. I guess that Mick and Keith may have made an agreement in the past that excludes such a possibility, but I really don't know, only hope so. If not, the two of them ought to make such an agreement, if it is not somehow already built in the brand Rolling Stones. Mentionned in the understanding that the band Rolling Stones during time doubled into band AND brand Rolling Stones.

Whether Charlie was part of an agreement of this kind, I do hope so, but approved of a continuation as now seems possible, is completely outside my knowledge. However, it may be the case, in the way Charlie seems to have authorixed Steve Jordan to fill in for him temporarily. Maybe also without time limit?

Added: I now discover posts in the other thread with parallel thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 12:08 by Witness.

Date: August 26, 2021 12:06

terraplane
I have never read it. Thanks for the tip. Charlie never did many interviews compared to the others so it will be interesting to get his perspective.

Here it is: [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: August 26, 2021 12:13

DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Here it is: [www.rollingstone.com]

That was quite interesting. Pity Charlie didn't write his own book. He was a cool cat, going through life causing the least amount of harm to others. A lesson for us all.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 26, 2021 13:22

The Sicilian
LeonidP
The Sicilian
MizzAmandaJonez
The pain Keith surely feels must be nearly unbearable, especially given the current near sober state his mind set seems to have gravitated to.

He’s kicked a lot of habits, but this will be the toughest.

I have no doubt the decision to continue on was gut wrenching for him, and likely with Charlie’s full blessing and support, if not his insistence.

It was a matter of time before someone posted this quote, but it’s merely a small footnote in the story of one of, if not THE greatest drummers and rhythm sections in the history of rock music, if not all types of music.

CHELSKEITH

The death of a family member or close friend is not like kicking a habit. It affects your heart and soul. There is a difference. It takes time to heal and grieve. For many people, they're never the same. People move on with their lives but some things are better left alone.

Of course, but not seeing the point. You're trying to make your own decision and judgment of how you think they should behave. And when I have a family member pass, we don't just say we are giving up, and no more family get-togethers.

Well to each their own. There is a respect factor and that is the point. Where I come from when a close friend or family member passes away we don't party and celebrate. People have feelings. Many are not in a mood for festivities. Sure people get together, but the things are toned down. Only selfish ticket holders would expect the band to to out and jam away three weeks after the fact. Besides, COVID is causing issues everywhere, so now you have two reasons to put it off and decide next year if it is worth continuing.
This is the proper and respectful way to mourn and pay your respects and honor !

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 26, 2021 14:10

However, in relation to that allegorical perspective, it is the family themselves or the close friends themselves that have to decide what to do and how. It does not belong to the distant guests to tell them what to do about the continuation of their lives.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 26, 2021 14:27

We simply don't know if Mick & Keith had the opportunity to speak to Charlie in his final moments or days prior to his death. Maybe one of his last wishes was that the Stones keep rolling. In that case al quotes from the past don't matter anymore, I think.

Date: August 26, 2021 14:43

According to the "Sun" (yes I know it's not the best you can get) they have a source saying Charlie would never have wanted to cancel the tour because of his absence. Here the link:

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 26, 2021 20:02

ribbelchips
We simply don't know if Mick & Keith had the opportunity to speak to Charlie in his final moments or days prior to his death. Maybe one of his last wishes was that the Stones keep rolling. In that case al quotes from the past don't matter anymore, I think.

So you think Keith was just shootin the breeze? People don't make statements like that to get some laughs. They say it because they mean it. We are talking about mature men here not some quirky millennial looking for upvotes on his smart phone.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 26, 2021 20:13

The Sicilian
ribbelchips

So you think Keith was just shootin the breeze? People don't make statements like that to get some laughs. They say it because they mean it. We are talking about mature men here not some quirky millennial looking for upvotes on his smart phone.

If people aren't allowed to change the way they felt about something from twenty-five years ago, I'd still be married to my first wife and wouldn't have my beautiful wife and daughter from my current marriage. Everyone's entitled to change.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:09

"We've had other people come and go in the band...but if there's no Charlie, there's no Stones. I wouldn't want to go on if he's not there." - Keith Richards

I read a Mick's quote likewise some year ago. More or less

"Everyone can be replaced in the band, including me, with the exception of Charlie".

But as it is written above, it's not in granit.

Date: August 26, 2021 22:07

MisterDDDD
The Sicilian
ribbelchips

If people aren't allowed to change the way they felt about something from twenty-five years ago, I'd still be married to my first wife and wouldn't have my beautiful wife and daughter from my current marriage. Everyone's entitled to change.

We're not talking about females here. This is about men and a bond of brotherhood. Brothers have a bond that continue beyond the grave. Nothing society can do or cancel can change that. It has thousands of years of history etched in stone.

Re: "If there's no Charlie, there's no Stones" (Keith Richards 2004)
Posted by: robv ()
Date: August 26, 2021 22:19

My first reaction was 'this is the end of the Stones'. Now that emotions have settled I'm accepting that they will go on. Steve Jordan can do the job, but who's next? Ronnie can be replaced by Mick Taylor (or Waddy Wachtel for that matter), Keith can be replaced (as far as Mick's concerned) by Joe Satriani, and Mick can be replaced by, well, Robbie Williams. It will be like Dr. Feelgood who are keeping the heritage alive with none of the original members. Not sure if I want that.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 26, 2021 22:22

The Sicilian
MisterDDDD
The Sicilian
ribbelchips

We're not talking about females here. This is about men and a bond of brotherhood. Brothers have a bond that continue beyond the grave. Nothing society can do or cancel can change that. It has thousands of years of history etched in stone.

Lol, the analogy is dismissed because of a "female" reference.

OK. Man.
If it makes you feel any better, it was actually my husband I divorced spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Kidding... hope you are too smileys with beer

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 23:25

LeonidP
Mick also once said he could not see himself singing Satisfaction at age 30.

I agree and also tend to think they'll realize it's time to wind it down for good after these shows....it just can't ever be possibly the same for them or as much fun once they have a chance to evaluate...and i'll be okay with that..miss you Charlie

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 23:26

The Rolling Stones were Brian's band (sort of) when they started in 1962. Still without Bill Wyman, who joined in December of that year, followed by Charlie Watts in Januari 1963. After Ian Stewart was put aside, most of the old folks among us got to know them as The Rolling Stones. Five highly talented guys ready to surprise the world. When Brian left (or whatever) they continued with Mick Taylor. I remember many saying "these are no more The Rolling Stones". Life went on with them producing great albums/songs. Then Mick Taylor left in 1974 and the following year they were still The Rolling Stones, but now with Ron Wood. Then Bill Wyman quit the band in the early 90's (to me the great "secret" of the band was this solid-as-a-rock rhythm section). The band became a four members band, still named The Rolling Stones. And now sadly Charlie Watts "left" the band (and us) behind. To me, after almost 58 years of being a fan, the band will remain being The Rolling Stones, but now as a three members band. Nothing wrong with that. Many bands simply started as three members band (The Police, Level 42, The BeeGees were only very shortly a five members band, before changing into a three members band, etc.), why not The Rolling Stones? For me all those changes as of 1969 didn't matter. All former members, alive or dead, to me are still Rolling Stones and the remaining three members are still The Rolling Stones as long as they want to, and that's the way to go along ...
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: August 26, 2021 23:31

Continuing beyond this tour and finishing the album for me would be nothing more than The X-Pensive Barbarians with Mick on vocals doing Rolling Stones songs. If it weren’t so late in the game I’d say continue but time is not on anyone’s side anymore and it waits for no one.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 26, 2021 23:44

terraplane

Charlie was certainly photographed more with Mick socially away from tours in latter decades (before pandemic) at cricket and the like than I ever saw with Keith. That may have been because they live on the same continent but I too certainly had the impression Charlie and Mick spent time together socially in a way neither did with Keith (that was publicly known in any event).

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: August 27, 2021 04:51

This is SO DIFFERENT than any previous loss The Stones have endured. It is the end of an era and should not be treated as "just another personnel change." I hate to say it, but they will not recover from this even they do this tour. It is over folks...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:47

TheGreek
The Sicilian
LeonidP
The Sicilian
MizzAmandaJonez
The pain Keith surely feels must be nearly unbearable, especially given the current near sober state his mind set seems to have gravitated to.

I have no doubt the decision to continue on was gut wrenching for him, and likely with Charlie’s full blessing and support, if not his insistence.

It was a matter of time before someone posted this quote, but it’s merely a small footnote in the story of one of, if not THE greatest drummers and rhythm sections in the history of rock music, if not all types of music.

CHELSKEITH

The death of a family member or close friend is not like kicking a habit. It affects your heart and soul. There is a difference. It takes time to heal and grieve. For many people, they're never the same. People move on with their lives but some things are better left alone.

Of course, but not seeing the point. You're trying to make your own decision and judgment of how you think they should behave. And when I have a family member pass, we don't just say we are giving up, and no more family get-togethers.

Well to each their own. There is a respect factor and that is the point. Where I come from when a close friend or family member passes away we don't party and celebrate. People have feelings. Many are not in a mood for festivities. Sure people get together, but the things are toned down. Only selfish ticket holders would expect the band to to out and jam away three weeks after the fact. Besides, COVID is causing issues everywhere, so now you have two reasons to put it off and decide next year if it is worth continuing.
This is the proper and respectful way to mourn and pay your respects and honor !

Well there you have it then, glad we now know the proper method!

Date: August 31, 2021 00:58

Great interview. Charlie gave a significant answer at 1:45:

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 31, 2021 10:12

For me it was out of the question that at least the forthcoming US tour will not be canceled becaus of Charlie passing. Remember, it's a million dollar business not only for the band but also for the promoters, stadium operators, merchandise and food stores, etc. In these difficult times it seems important to go on out of respect to those who depend on the tour business. And Charlie knew about it, obviously advising to tour with Steve Jordan.

Therefore they will have to decide what to do after the tour but it is no disrespect to fulfill that obligation.

And as much as we adore Charlie Watts as a drummer we should not forget that he was graced with a long life - like the bible says:

The years of our life are seventy,
or even by reason of strength eighty;
yet their span is but toil and trouble;
they are soon gone, and we fly away.

R.I.P!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 31, 2021 10:45

LeonidP
TheGreek
The Sicilian
LeonidP
The Sicilian
MizzAmandaJonez

CHELSKEITH

Well there you have it then, glad we now know the proper method!

In a lot of Irish households (and others no doubt) they'd have a party, a wake.............whatever 'your' tradition I guess

Date: August 31, 2021 10:50

saltoftheearth
For me it was out of the question that at least the forthcoming US tour will not be canceled becaus of Charlie passing. Remember, it's a million dollar business not only for the band but also for the promoters, stadium operators, merchandise and food stores, etc. In these difficult times it seems important to go on out of respect to those who depend on the tour business. And Charlie knew about it, obviously advising to tour with Steve Jordan.

Therefore they will have to decide what to do after the tour but it is no disrespect to fulfill that obligation.

Do it because of the money. No regard for his death because Charlie knew he was dying and obviously, he told that to Steve Jordan. The band with the Heart of Stone, only the money matters. 60 years in the band, so what, bring on the next guy. Nevermind COVID that it's spreading fast especially in the tour markets. Who cares if any fans contract or super spread it, there is money to be made. Just give me my damn show.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 31, 2021 10:51

Is Keith allowed to change his mind?

Asking for a friend.

Date: August 31, 2021 10:53

Topi
Is Keith allowed to change his mind?

Asking for a friend.

grinning smiley

Date: August 31, 2021 10:57

EddieByword

In a lot of Irish households (and others no doubt) they'd have a party, a wake.............whatever 'your' tradition I guess

Common in Japan as well. Family and friends eat and drink the night before the funeral with the casket in the dining hall

Date: August 31, 2021 11:00

terraplane
EddieByword

Common in Japan as well. Family and friends eat and drink the night before the funeral with the casket in the dining hall

Yes, I was going to say, in Irish households the coffin (and body) would be on a trestle or table in the front room.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home