Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Date: August 21, 2022 14:46

Stoneage
That decision should have been taken decades ago in that case. It's too late to stop now. They have already decided to roll as long as it's possible. All the way to the end.

At first I thought this was the post to wrap up this thread; says it all in a couple of sentences. Now I;m not so sure - I do believe that a small twist can derail, and shape even such an iconic career as the Stones, and Jagger.
Taking it back to the clubs, dropping all extra musicians, being vulnerable. they wouldnt even need a last album.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 21, 2022 15:05

Though not popular at this point I would like them to focus on recording and then do some small shows to highlight new tunes. Do something like the 78 tour if they tour again. But money is made by tours not album sales so it’s just wishful thinking on my part

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 21, 2022 17:33

Personally, I think they should have quit by the turn of the millenium. Then they still had a couple of fresh albums behind them and the warhorses hadn't been beaten to death.
Then they would have quit on some kind of top. Which is not the fact now. Money kept them coming back though. On a never ending tour.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 21, 2022 17:50

Stoneage
Personally, I think they should have quit by the turn of the millenium. Then they still had a couple of fresh albums behind them and the warhorses hadn't been beaten to death.
Then they would have quit on some kind of top. Which is not the fact now. Money kept them coming back though. On a never ending tour.

of making millions of people happy and poorer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-21 17:50 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 21, 2022 18:34

Stoneage

I don't know why people say they do it for the money. They always talk about why they still do it. It makes no difference if Mick is worth 500 million or 520 million. His life doesn't change.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: August 21, 2022 18:47

Good morning
Could the stones pull off the Springsteen album western stars
Record in a small very small ..the whole new album perform with additional musicians like strings and release as a movie
You could control everything

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 21, 2022 18:49

kkhoranstoned
Good morning
Could the stones pull off the Springsteen album western stars
Record in a small very small ..the whole new album perform with additional musicians like strings and release as a movie
You could control everything

I really love Western Stars, both the record & film.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 21, 2022 19:41

More Hot Rocks
Stoneage

I don't know why people say they do it for the money. They always talk about why they still do it. It makes no difference if Mick is worth 500 million or 520 million. His life doesn't change.
He was not worth 500 million or more in 2000. He made most of his money beginning with the Steel Wheels tour.He has made many hundreds of millions from 1989 to today on live shows and a much much smaller amount from albums. Albums in the last 10 years haven't brought anywhere near that .So maybe it is a coincidence there has been one studio album in 24 years, or about the same as his solo output.Jagger and the band also did not tour from 2000 to 2002 and 2008- 2012 when recession, the financial collapse, 9/11 hit, causing hard economic times for people to buy tickets. He also was ripped off by Allen Klein, had Bianca and Hall and other women taking a lot of his money. Plus he has like 10 kids to leave inheritance to. I kinda think he does still play live because he loves it but I think the lucrative money he got from live shows was very important at least until the last decade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-21 19:49 by Taylor1.

Date: August 21, 2022 20:36

Jazz musicians, who truly loves music, do not play exactly the same songs on every tour. And if they do they improvise on the songs or do different arrangement on them from tour to tour.
If you play Satisfaction or JJ Flash for 1100 times, in more or less the same manner, - is that really for the love of music?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 21, 2022 20:38

Maybe they're afraid to stop. Other than Ronnie's paintings, they don't seem to have the desire to go full time outside interests like Bill did. Maybe the jazz they get from large, high paying customers is the only thing that interests them.

Date: August 21, 2022 22:33

Stoneage
Jazz musicians, who truly loves music, do not play exactly the same songs on every tour. And if they do they improvise on the songs or do different arrangement on them from tour to tour.
If you play Satisfaction or JJ Flash for 1100 times, in more or less the same manner, - is that really for the love of music?

i think we're confusing love of music with love of performance

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: August 22, 2022 02:57

I guess I'll jump in here...

Obviously, they don't need the money. Promoters are greedy bastards but that's not this thread so there are only 2 litmus tests:

1) Do they enjoy getting out and playing every 4 nights to a stadium full of adoring fans. Apparently yes.

2) Are there plenty of people who enjoy going to these shows. Apparently yes.

I don't think anything else matters. Consider this:

Are they old? Doesn't matter if 1 and 2 are true.
Do they make mistakes? Doesn't matter if 1 and 2 are true.
Are 70% of the people on stage hired guns? Doesn't matter if 1 and 2 are true.
Have they released any material recently? Doesn't matter if 1 and 2 are true.

I could go on and on, but as long as they like to get out and play and as long as enough of us enjoy the experience of going to the shows, they'll continue to get out and play.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2022 03:13

Take all you can get ...

They are living treasures ....

When it ends it will be the longest goodbye ever ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 22, 2022 03:50

Rockman
Take all you can get ...

They are living treasures ....

When it ends it will be the longest goodbye ever ......

Absolutely!!

Every Stones gig I’ve been to, I’ve met multiple people who are seeing the band for the first time. Last time I saw them (Seattle 2019) I met a guy who had brought his 10 year old daughter. That’s a kid who in the year 2080 will be able to say “I saw the Stones” she will be in a small majority of people who in 2080 can say they saw the band. The rest of us will be dust in the wind at that point.

They’re still making people happy, there’s still people seeing them for the first time. Why stop!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 22, 2022 11:09

vibrolux

Obviously, they don't need the money. Promoters are greedy bastards but that's not this thread so there are only 2 litmus tests:

1) Do they enjoy getting out and playing every 4 nights to a stadium full of adoring fans. Apparently yes.

I could go on and on, but as long as they like to get out and play and as long as enough of us enjoy the experience of going to the shows, they'll continue to get out and play.

thumbs up Very well summed up .

Date: August 22, 2022 11:58

vibrolux

It's hard to argue with this thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 22, 2022 13:30

vibrolux

A man (woman?) of few words, but very much to the point. It's as simple as you say cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: August 22, 2022 14:36

Sure, if you look at it that way the alternatives are a) touring, b) not touring. I guess most fans would lean towards alternative a...

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: August 22, 2022 19:05

georgie48
vibrolux

A man (woman?) of few words, but very much to the point. It's as simple as you say cool smiley

For the record, very definitely a man!

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 27, 2022 11:18

No they will know when to call it a day. I personally think they got more to offer. In 2019 I was in Denver met a guy from Germany he said he was following them, next stop Seattle like me. He commented the band keeps him coming back.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 27, 2022 13:00

ProfessorWolf
Stoneage

i think we're confusing love of music with love of performance

Spot on!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 27, 2022 16:06

I thought they should have called it quits for the last 10 years...then Berlin 2022 turned out to be one of the best nights I ever had.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 27, 2022 16:31

Mathijs
I thought they should have called it quits for the last 10 years...then Berlin 2022 turned out to be one of the best nights I ever had.

Mathijs

That says a lot ...

.. From a chap who always strikes me as justly critical where appropriate and as someone who is not inclined to look at the world through rose tinted specs .

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 27, 2022 16:43

They said that in 1975

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 27, 2022 17:04

Stoneage

An unwritten rule of the music business is if you're blessed with having a hit song you gotta be mentally prepared to play it till the very end of your career.

If you had one hit (Radiohead with "Creep" Nirvana with "Teen Spirit") you can be snobbish enough to boycott it in your live repertoire, but usually yeah you gotta carry that "burden".

So playing "Satisfaction or JJ Flash for 1100 times, in more or less the same manner" doesn't shock me at all.

And it's much better to play these songs straight than trying to travesty them like Robert Plant wanted to do with "Stairway" for the 1979 Knebworth gigs : he was so tired of it he wanted to play it reggae-style.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 27, 2022 17:28

No. Still, no.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2022 20:23

As long as Keith and Mick are still capable, they shall keep on rolling.
Even at a diminished level, they will continue to roll...

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 27, 2022 20:50

Mathijs

Mathijs

So you didn’t judge a show by a crappy I phone video? I guess there is hope in life.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2022 17:43

What I think is it's time for this thread to stop rolling.

Date: October 29, 2022 02:21

treaclefingers
What I think is it's time for this thread to stop rolling.

i'll second that

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home