Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 25, 2021 10:37

stargroover
Unfortunately they are driven by the dollar and if they can fill stadiums and churn out the bog standard stuff they will.Hopefully they will know when it’s time to quit and they check out Frank Sinatra’s final performances .
It’s a real shame that they don’t want to treat the diehard fans to some rarities in a club setting.Get Mick Talyor in for a few numbers too,and release the concert as a dvd.Instead it looks like we are gonna get the Hollywood show with the usual songs.How predictable and boring is that.
It’s sad that the money is more important than the creativity.But it’s been like that for too many years.This is the tragedy.

You ought to be aware that the Stones are a feedback driven live act. Then the empty stares, when they play unfamiliar songs, make them uncomfortable and seek to material that the audiences know.

And the relative lack of large scale interest for their studio albums from a certain point in time deprived them of the needed incentives to create more new music. From approximately that time money income became an alternative success parameter for them to take the place that creativity formerly constituted for the Stones.

We all got what we deserved!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 25, 2021 10:56

ProfessorWolf

really it's not enough to fight endlessly and meaninglessly over whether keith is drunk onstage now we're pointlessly attacking countries we don't live in just to rile up fellow fans into angry defenses of there homelands

can we please be better then thissad smileyconfused smiley

I concur completely.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 25, 2021 12:06

There are plenty of stimulating lesser known Stones tracks such as Around and Around,Come on,Little Queenie etc that would get the non diehards rocking in the stadium.Feedback would strong on these and other numbers.It's just too much hard work for them.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 25, 2021 12:43

It is not certain beyond doubt, that is, with the large audiences in mind.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 25, 2021 17:10

Witness
It is not certain beyond doubt, that is, with the large audiences in mind.

I agree. Whilst I've always been - and still remain - a massive Chuck Berry fan, I suspect that your average stadium concert attendee would not groove to these 50 plus year old classics. I disagree that they're "too much hard work for them". Chuck Berry is in their DNA!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 25, 2021 20:46

well they did just delete “the rolling” from the band name so yeah maybe.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: November 25, 2021 20:52

They do play songs for the hard core - Midnight Rambler for one. If you've ever been to a Stones tribute band you'll know what a 'hits only' set sounds like,

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 26, 2021 01:25

They can’t stop - I still haven’t seen this live. This song makes me unreasonably happy.

[youtu.be]

Should ROLLING STONES retire
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: November 30, 2021 11:51

Well the last 2 shows was good. But not great. So do you feel they should hang it. Of course they will never officially announce that its over

Re: Should ROLLING STONES retire
Date: November 30, 2021 11:52

Did you really miss the thread that's been up here since Charlie passed?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2021 12:02

.... retyre the tour bus .... heck yeah ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 30, 2021 12:15

pftw04
Well the last 2 shows was good. But not great. So do you feel they should hang it. Of course they will never officially announce that its over

There's a case to be made for retiring, but this most definitely is not it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 30, 2021 14:06

So very typical Stones tour where they start out with 19 tunes in the set list and then one got picked off to 18 tunes and by tours end they whittled it down to 17 tunes !

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 30, 2021 14:32

TheGreek
So very typical Stones tour where they start out with 19 tunes in the set list and then one got picked off to 18 tunes and by tours end they whittled it down to 17 tunes !

I don't typically make it a habit to engage in these kinds of threads, but I will say that for the kind of money the Stones charge for their shows, I think it is an insult to the fans to get less than 20 songs at a concert.

And yes, I get the argument, we should be happy that these almost 80 year old men are out there performing for the masses, etc, etc, etc. If other fans are happy seeing the Stones perform 17 songs in wheelchairs (not an unlikely possibility should they continue to perform), be my guest, but I wont be laying down the bucks for that spectacle. I've got lots of CDs and videos of the Stones in their prime to keep me happy....

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: November 30, 2021 16:37

Complete disagree here.
I really wonder if for all people who think the Stones should stop if they have seen the Stones in 2021....

If you've seen the Stones somewhere in the last few weeks, there can only one conclusion: it was great!
Steve Jordan is no Charlie Watts but in al honesty I have to say that music wise it was better than the previous years and I really hope that they will continue in 2022....

Hendrik Mulder

Posted by: forest73 ()
Date: November 30, 2021 16:39

No Charlie no Stones

Date: November 30, 2021 18:41

Sighunt
TheGreek

I don't typically make it a habit to engage in these kinds of threads, but I will say that for the kind of money the Stones charge for their shows, I think it is an insult to the fans to get less than 20 songs at a concert.

And yes, I get the argument, we should be happy that these almost 80 year old men are out there performing for the masses, etc, etc, etc. If other fans are happy seeing the Stones perform 17 songs in wheelchairs (not an unlikely possibility should they continue to perform), be my guest, but I wont be laying down the bucks for that spectacle. I've got lots of CDs and videos of the Stones in their prime to keep me happy....
You read my mind and I could not have said it any better at all . A lot of money for 17 tunes for sure !

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 30, 2021 19:12

The last year's timeline on IORR:
(and I paraphrase mostly)

"COVID is so scary that The Rolling Stones are crazy to go on tour.
OMG the Stones cannot really be going on tour in the USA with COVID.
Good luck going to these shows and hope you don't die if you do.
Hope you die if you go to these shows.
Charlie Watts is dead!
The Rolling Stones are on tour without Charlie and with COVID...WOW.
Who has the Lucky Dip links?
Let's all go! What a blast! So good to see old friends and party!
Best shows of all time!
It's a good thing that Charlie died because now the Stones are good again."

@#$%&.
You don't have to read between the lines to know how I personally feel...
Some people here make me sick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-30 20:27 by Kurt.

Date: November 30, 2021 19:18

I went to every show except Austin.

Glad the band is still rolling.

We all miss Charlie.

I did not get sick and obviously still alive or would not be typing.

Glad I got to see my old friends and meet some knew ones.

Stating "its a good thing Charlie died" is way out of line.

Have you considered therapy?

quote=Kurt]
The last year's timeline on IORR:
(and I paraphrase mostly)

"COVID is so scary that The Rolling Stones are crazy to go on tour.
OMG the Stones cannot really be going on tour in the USA with COVID.
Good luck going to these shows and hope you don't die if you do.
Hope you die if you go to these shows.
Charlie Watt's is dead!
The Rolling Stones are on tour without Charlie and with COVID...WOW.
Who has the Lucky Dip links?
Let's all go! What a blast! So good to see old friends and party!
It's a good thing that Charlie died because now the Stones are good again."

@#$%&.
You don't have to read between the lines to know how I personally feel...
Some people here make me sick.[/quote]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2021 20:13

TheGreek
Sighunt
TheGreek

You read my mind and I could not have said it any better at all . A lot of money for 17 tunes for sure !

Only 17 tunes...an anticlimactic ending for sure, and unfortunate as there were some great shows in the first half of the tour.
Good thing it was only 14 shows as the setlist might have been whittled down to only 10 tunes had it gone on much longer.
I think the days of "tours" might be over - when a mini-tour of only 14 shows becomes too much, the writing's on the wall.
Maybe a trio of shows at the Royal Albert Hall might be the best bet for the 60th, with the possibility of one giant festival appearance.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 30, 2021 20:58

I can find many valid reasons to why they should quit, like Charlie's passing and Keith's physical condition, but playing 17 songs instead of 19 is certainly not one of them...

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: November 30, 2021 23:12

Why?

Date: November 30, 2021 23:17

Why would they stop?

So what if they are older and not able to play as well.

Not every venue is going to sound good. Keith can play out of tune if he wants.

We all miss Charlie but Steve has stepped up and done a pretty good job of it.

To all of you who think they should stop ask this.

Are you going to stop doing what you love to do?

Wasn't Chuck Berry still playing in his 80's?

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 1, 2021 00:12

georgemcdonnell314
Why would they stop?

Yes, Chuck Berry was playing in his 80s but it was sad. I saw him maybe 10 times, but I left my last Chuck's concerts in the half time break, almost in tears, it was unbearable. Do you want the Stones to end like this?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 1, 2021 01:45

MartinB
georgemcdonnell314
Why would they stop?

Yes, Chuck Berry was playing in his 80s but it was sad. I saw him maybe 10 times, but I left my last Chuck's concerts in the half time break, almost in tears, it was unbearable. Do you want the Stones to end like this?

They aren't close to that point yet. Did any of those asking them to stop attend any shows? More than one? I was of the belief that they probably should call it quits but LA2 and LV were really good. I'd gladly go see them again in Europe. If someone was watching phone streams I suggest they retire and go do something else.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 1, 2021 02:22

MartinB
georgemcdonnell314
Why would they stop?

no i don't want them to end up like that but they aren't even close to chucks worst and i doubt mick would continue to go out and perform if he reached a state like that

but if they choose to continue in that condition then that's there choice there grown men more then capable of making there own decisions but i understand and sympathize with your fear about them becoming like that but i think that's still a ways off and they will likely know when enough is enough

and now i love chuck as much as any true stones fan but frankly the average stones show from this tour beats the average chuck berry show from the last 60 years which is not to say that he couldn't mop the floor with the stones at his best with a great band behind him but those nights where few and far between

and i've also heard him when his guitar is tuned, and the band backing him is good, and the mood strikes him still perform well if only for a few songs right into his eighties

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-01 02:25 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: December 1, 2021 13:34

Hairball
TheGreek
Sighunt
TheGreek

Only 17 tunes...an anticlimactic ending for sure, and unfortunate as there were some great shows in the first half of the tour.
Good thing it was only 14 shows as the setlist might have been whittled down to only 10 tunes had it gone on much longer.
I think the days of "tours" might be over - when a mini-tour of only 14 shows becomes too much, the writing's on the wall.
Maybe a trio of shows at the Royal Albert Hall might be the best bet for the 60th, with the possibility of one giant festival appearance.
I have forever wanted to go to London and tour the palace and all that and a visit to RAH would cap it all off and be quite the feather in my cap or anyone's for sure ! Hang out in Hyde Park , get some Fish and Chips , visit the pubs , maybe visit St Andrews ( I am going to need a lot of $ ) Go to some of the guitar shops , the list goes on and on . Maybe see a football game at Wembley ! A must place to visit for sure !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 1, 2021 18:20

Hendrik
... I really wonder if for all people who think the Stones should stop if they have seen the Stones in 2021....

Hendrik Mulder

The thing here is not to ask if people have seen the Stones in 2021, but whether if people have seen the Stones before 2021 !
I won't be surprised that if they will keep on playin' sitting on chairs, there will be some people to claim it was great.

HMN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 1, 2021 18:43

I still don't get it: Keith has obvious problems with intros and solos, the guitar section is often disconnected and sometimes Keith has to sit down to nail the chords - and still people talk about playing "only" 17 songs is the main problem. And you don't have to have been to one or more shows to notice it. A cell phone stream is all you need to understand that. Surely, even a super fan have eyes and ears?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 1, 2021 18:46

Honestman
Hendrik
... I really wonder if for all people who think the Stones should stop if they have seen the Stones in 2021....

Hendrik Mulder

The thing here is not to ask if people have seen the Stones in 2021, but whether if people have seen the Stones before 2021 !
I won't be surprised that if they will keep on playin' sitting on chairs, there will be some people to claim it was great.

Cause it likely would be.

The first question was the correct one of course.
Everyone has seen them prior. If you saw them in 2021 and walked away saying they should hang it up, you weren't at any of the shows I attended.

Have no doubt that even amongst the most rabid "cheerleader" type fans (hand proudly up), if they ever reached a stage where the over-all quality had noticeably and embarrassingly deteriorated, we would be amongst the most vocal that they should hang it up.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home