Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: September 4, 2021 21:35

I can only imagine what the guys are going through now. It's been tough for them in last years. First it was Mick's surgury that made them postpone the tour, then pandemic year when no one knew what's next. When they finally were ready to hit the road, Charlie's sudden death followed. It's a very painful experience they've been through and as heartbroken as they are now, they are facing harsh criticism by their own fans who want them to stop touring and call it a day. I just don't get it. If they go on tour, they feel like it's the only way to do. Let them do whatever they want and feel is better for them.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2021 05:15

Doxa
maumau
what is so great about Keith Richards solo albums? not that he went so far away from stones sound, he did not. they're great because you hear keith playing with a band that sound so different, with a drummer that sound so different. a great drummer, a very different one from Charlie. Think about a wonderful soul ballad like Hate it when you leave. You can't easily get better than that, and the beat is so important in that. That is very different from what it would have been i f Keith kept that for the Stones. Yet it is beautiful, but different.
in that difference you see that very special thing about the rolling stones. the swing, the beat, provided by the one and only.
the band that is going on stage for the next leg of the no filter tour will be terrific, but it ain't going to be the rolling stones

I think the Winos is a horrible example, since I don't recognize the greatness there (although some singular songs, like the one you mentioned, can be exceptions). Yes, there is a certain Stones vibe there, thanks to Keith and his signature sound and Stones-type songs, but as a band and the delivery of the songs, I find the result pretty boring and one-track minded. I would never think that in the league of The Rolling Stones, or some sort of variant of them, but just as Keith's solo project. The same with Mick's solo things.

- Doxa

agreed, though Wandering Spirit came pretty close.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 5, 2021 23:55

They’ll end up called Little Boy Blue & The New Boys.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2021 00:45

paulspendel

They’ll end up called Little Boy Blue & The New Boys.

"The Glimmer Twins All-Star-Band" winking smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 6, 2021 23:05

it's a question of knowing when to leave the stage. the loss of charlie means the end of the rolling stones. the time has arrived. at least for touring. besides, with Covid out there and the random fan getting a maskless photo with SJ it is possible that Patti puts the kibosh on the tour. the loss of charlie now puts the focus and priorities on making the best decisions that allow mick, keith and ronnie to live to their nineties. ticket sales, or lack there of, may also force things as well. they have given us everything, isn't that enough?

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 6, 2021 23:24

Who's to decide other than the band themselves?
And what's all this talk about "knowing when to stop"? I don't get it.
Oscar Peterson played on after he had had a serious stroke. Many bands carried on after losing one or more members of the band. Who are we to judge?

Our band lost a member in 1998. A few days later we played a gig. Some people could not understand how we could do that. But we felt it was the right thing to do. We lost another member, our great guitar player, in 2018, after our second guitar player (his brother!) had to quit a few years earlier in 2014 because of MS.
It's not the same anymore, but nonetheless, we find some comfort in performing. We we play, we can feel the presence of those who are not with us anymore. It hurts, but it also gives comfort. Why quit doing what you love?

Mick, Ronnie and Keith along with the band are still capable of playing great shows, I think. And if they feel it's the right thing to do, they should. If not, they shouldn't. But it's not up to us to decide or judge.

If you think they should quit, maybe you should quit - going to their shows. I don't, and won't quit and hope that they carry on, somehow.
PS:
It would give me comfort to attend just one more show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 23:25 by Papo.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 7, 2021 00:44

Hell no.Steve Jordan rocks!The show goes on.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: September 7, 2021 02:20

Papo--perfectly said! If they want to play on, then they should play on. If they want to stop, they should stop. Totally up to them. I truly don't understand the fans on here who purport to know better than the Boys themselves. If as a fan you don't want to go, then don't go. If you do want to go, then go. It's really very simple and not for any of us to judge. Pretty damn presumptuous for anyone on here to tell them what they "should" do.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 7, 2021 06:05

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Some men, you just can't reach.
So you get what we have here this week -- which is the way they want it.
Well, they gets it.
And I don't like it anymore than you men

I’d like to see Keith, Mick & Ronnie tour an acoustic Rolling Stones. The drum seat empty. They have enough blues and country type songs to pull it off. But it won’t happen.

What they decide is what will happen. As it should be.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 7, 2021 07:13

HopeYouGuessMyName
If they play, people will come. They will surely come.

Even the dead men will come.

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: September 7, 2021 11:26

Hope for a new tour in Europe next year.

And what about a great Charlie Tribute Show in London? With quests like Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor and Lisa Fischer, but also The Who, Eric Clapton and others who's been around the Stones from the beginning?

And what about an old 60s song with Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Ringo Starr on drums and Paul McCartney on bass?

Date: September 7, 2021 12:10

Tekumseh

And what about an old 60s song with Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Ringo Starr on drums and Paul McCartney on bass?

Yeah: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" merged with "Let's Spend the Night Together" played by "Les Rolling Beatstones" .... winking smiley

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 7, 2021 13:06

sundevil
it's a question of knowing when to leave the stage. the loss of charlie means the end of the rolling stones. the time has arrived. at least for touring. besides, with Covid out there and the random fan getting a maskless photo with SJ it is possible that Patti puts the kibosh on the tour. the loss of charlie now puts the focus and priorities on making the best decisions that allow mick, keith and ronnie to live to their nineties. ticket sales, or lack there of, may also force things as well. they have given us everything, isn't that enough?

No we wont decide. That is the bands decision I agree. But we are entitled to express our views and thoughts. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I hope they stop for several reasons. None of them disrespectful or selfish. Just a concern that what will remain is just a pale shadow of what they once were. With respect to your point regarding Oscar Peterson and others who played on after illness, the Stones play a different kind of music. The emphasis is on spectacle, energy, performance, big shows with a big sound, stadium sized stages. not the more intimate types of performance OP delivered in smaller venues and clubs. I could see The Stones making a club sized tour work much better than stadiums now but I doubt that would be economically viable for the Rolling Stones organisation.

Date: September 7, 2021 13:30

Mick in 2009 'Gimme Shelter' with U2:

[www.YouTube.com]

Mick in 2012 '19th Nervous Breakdown' & 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll' with Foo Fighters:

[www.YouTube.com]

Mick in 2012 'The Last Time' with Arcade Fire - [www.YouTube.com]
(Video can't be embedded on websites)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2021 16:59

Irix

[www.YouTube.com]

Mick in 2012 '19th Nervous Breakdown' & 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll' with Foo Fighters:

[www.YouTube.com]

That video with Fergie is excellent and I can't think of a latter day performance of IORR that I prefer to the one with the Foos on SNL.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 7, 2021 17:10

Irix

[www.YouTube.com]

[www.YouTube.com]

Chevy Metal (Foo Fighters) with Mick Jagger "Miss You" / SNL Season Finale After Party

Chevy Metal (Foo Fighters) + Mick Jagger- Bitch) SNL Season Finale After Party

Mick Jagger & Jeff Beck Perform "Commit a Crime" at In Performance

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 7, 2021 17:59

Ah, thanks, I almost forgot about the White House performance. I think that was the same show Buddy Guy had Mick take a chorus, then handing the microphone to President Obama to sing a bit of "Sweet Home Chicago," yes?

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-07 18:02 by angee.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 7, 2021 18:16

Is it time?

On August 24th, my first feeling was.....yes.

As I worked through thoughts and feelings, I came to finally realize that it isn't about me or what Keith said years ago. It's about them now and how they feel and whatever was said between the four of them before Charlie passed.

I know that the show I see this fall (if the dates don't get further postponed or outright canceled by COVID) will be a very sad one, but I do really like the fact that Steve has been in their orbit as extended family for quite a while....and it isn't just some random session player.

Meanwhile I've been listening to a lot of Stones music lately, especially the Fully Finished Outtakes set...and feeling thankful that we've got so much Stones music.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 7, 2021 18:48

angee
Ah, thanks, I almost forgot about the White House performance. I think that was the same show Buddy Guy had Mick take a chorus, then handing the microphone to President Obama to sing a bit of "Sweet Home Chicago," yes?

smileys with beer
Yup..

The Stones are all bluesmen.. like Buddy, BB, et al.. they'll play in one form or another till the end.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 7, 2021 19:02

As several have mentioned, been wondering if Mick would carry on w/ a backing band as "The Rolling Stones" if Keith and Ronnie were no longer part of the band for whatever reason....
Chuck Leavell, Darryl Jones, Karl Denson, S.Jordan, and a couple of session guitar players....since they will continue without Charlie despite what Keith and Mick have said in the past about it not being truly the Stones,
would fans be willing to accept this new version without Keith and Ronnie? Surely many would, even paying outragous prices to see them, but some are having trouble wrapping their heads around the Stones without Charlie.
They carried on without Brian...then carried on without Mick Taylor...then carried on without Bill (not to everyone's liking), and now sadly without Charlie...would Mick continue forward without Keith and Ronnie?

Date: September 7, 2021 22:00

Hairball

...would Mick continue forward without Keith and Ronnie?

Probably - as shown in the 6 Videos above: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: September 7, 2021 22:12

sundevil

Since when Patti was the one to make decisions like that? If they want to go on tour, they will go on tour.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 8, 2021 09:05

Mariuana
sundevil

Since when Patti was the one to make decisions like that? If they want to go on tour, they will go on tour.

this is just brain dead. Covid and the loss of charlie changes everything. if patti see the photo of the "random fan" getting a photo with SJ, she may decide that the risk is too great. this tour doesn't have to happen, at least at this time. there is way too much whine-ing about these shows taking place Now and the "60th anniversary" tour next year. mick, keith and woody's emotions must still be changing from moment to moment. and the ignoring of the real risks out there right now is selfish.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 8, 2021 10:35

Who was drumming on Dylan's Brown Sugar versions? Kemper or Receli?
I liked the drumming. Just listend to an old boot.

Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: DocChill ()
Date: September 8, 2021 10:51

Tekumseh
Hope for a new tour in Europe next year.

And what about a great Charlie Tribute Show in London? With quests like Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor and Lisa Fischer, but also The Who, Eric Clapton and others who's been around the Stones from the beginning?

Is it time to stop...? On August 24th, my feeling said also..... yes! But now... a few days of... I think exactly the same then @Tekumseh cool smiley!

Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor and especially Lisa Fisher could make a comback to honour Charlie! I'm sure, that the crowd, particular the long-time-fans, would love that... I think they'll roll as long as they can do it with style grinning smiley!

Cheers,
Daniel

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 8, 2021 10:57

Steven Jordan is a great drummer, but personally, I don't think his style matches with the Stones sound. Too loud, too repetitive, too shrill. Hate it when you leave is a perfect example of what I mean...

https://youtu.be/GGpwhos1v3k

As for the future of the Stones: Let's leave it up to them. If they still enjoy it without Charlie, let's respect that. And if you don't want to see them without Charlie, then just don't go.. but respect their decission. It's their band and heir life.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 8, 2021 11:13

I'm not sure either how Patti Hansen could be the one "deciding the risk is too great" and pulling the plug on this tour.

Also, if the band is touring despite everything (as appears to be their intention), who's being selfish? The band? The fans?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-08 12:14 by Topi.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: September 8, 2021 13:11

treaclefingers
I can't think of a latter day performance of IORR that I prefer to the one with the Foos on SNL.
¨

IMO the Stones will never achieve the same sophisticated swing they had with Charlie with any other drummer.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 8, 2021 14:11

ribbelchips
Steven Jordan is a great drummer, but personally, I don't think his style matches with the Stones sound. Too loud, too repetitive, too shrill. Hate it when you leave is a perfect example of what I mean...

https://youtu.be/GGpwhos1v3k

I've said it before. Of course Steve Jordan plays in his own style when playing on a KR solo record. Why should he try to let a KR solo record sound like the Stones? Still he is a professional and when playing with the Stones he will surely adapt to their style.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 8, 2021 15:31

I think the majority have spoken up here on IORR.org and the consensus is to keep calm and CARRY ON as the saying goes .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1211
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home