Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 30, 2021 14:08

GasLightStreet
Dougratajczak87
bam
Well, Mick, Keith, and Ronnie can still go out and rock. But Charlie provided the roll.

100%

Just listen to this cover of Gimme Shelter by Jason Isbell and 400 Unit for comparison

[www.jambase.com]

Charlie played drums in such a unique style that kept the band humming along yet in some regards it was like the drums weren’t even there. He perfectly blended his drums to the music so that in most instances, they are very hard to pick out of the mix imo. Truly a drummer that served the songs.

Now I do think you Steve Jordan will do well and blend his style with some aspects of Charlie’s so that the drums don’t stick out too much, but it’s 100% going to be different which I didn’t really understand myself until listening to the drums on the cover above.

Poster above nails it.

Stones without Charlie will rock but they’ll be missing the roll.

It's only fair to give Steve Jordan the chance - or whatever you want to call it - to play.

After all, it's not YOU playing.

Any idea why he won't roll?

Given the subject matter, the Stones never played Gimme Shelter the same yet alone however many.

Other songs, at times, they played as true as possible.

Jordan will be different. Maybe eerily similar.

Maybe Jordan will be so different you actually like it.

It will be what it will be. It is what it is.

It doesn't define your or anyone's life. Charlie is gone.

How picky do people want to get? Keith hasn't been Keith since...?

Where does it end? Why does it matter? You have some medal you wag around town saying that the Stones are the best?

Charlie did what he did. For a long time. And he was awesome.

Time waits for no one. They're finding that out.
Good Post

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 30, 2021 15:22

For me, if there is any reason at all that justifies the Stones to cancel the forthcoming U.S. tour, it’s not because Steve plays the drums instead of Charlie but because the COVID still feels threatening — or even more so than ever — now.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 2, 2021 17:40

Stones songs played live are a treasure by themselves.

I would go and see a good Stones cover band any day, because I love Stones songs played live.

If the cover band is formed by pro musicians even better.

If Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood play in that band, what the f@@k.

So yes, for me they can go on forever.

That said, I still can't help being emotional when I hear a Booby Keyes sax solo on record, I can't even imagine how I will miss all those great "Charlie moments" that I grew to love at a stones concert. Charlie walking up to the drum-set, Charlie's introduction ("He speaks!), his smile at Keith's grin before the last tempo change in Midnight Rambler and so on and on ...

C

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2021 19:36

RisingStone
For me, if there is any reason at all that justifies the Stones to cancel the forthcoming U.S. tour, it’s not because Steve plays the drums instead of Charlie but because the COVID still feels threatening — or even more so than ever — now.

Covid is threatenin', my very life today...if I don't get some vaccine, oh yeah I'll ventilate away...

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: September 2, 2021 20:33

Chuck berry performed until a few days before this 88th birthday. I am concerned about men in their late seventies all with Heath issues traveling around the United States at this time. With Charlie Watts passing I think it’s time to finish the last record and take a break. Maybe perform again when the world is in a better place.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 2, 2021 21:47

Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling? new

RisingStone

Covid is threatenin', my very life today...if I don't get some vaccine, oh yeah I'll ventilate away...

good one

by the way do you think it would be meaningful and relevant if they perform ventilator blues at these shows or just in bad taste

Date: September 3, 2021 07:49

ProfessorWolf

Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling? new

RisingStone

good one

by the way do you think it would be meaningful and relevant if they perform ventilator blues at these shows or just in bad taste

It would most definitely be in bad taste but I would love it just the same.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 3, 2021 09:25

The "ventilator" in question would be a handgun, slang term for a firearm.

jb

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 3, 2021 22:47

Some interesting thoughts by Steve Ferrone here : [www.pollstar.com]

Steve Jordan was slated to replace Charlie on this tour and Steve’s a really great drummer. But I think it’s going to be one of those things like when Frank Sinatra passed away and they get guys like Michael Bublé. Frank Sinatra fans go and see these guys, and they’re great artists, there’s no doubt about it, but they kind of sit there and think about Frank Sinatra. I think that’s what’s going to happen now if The Rolling Stones continue to tour, people are going to love the songs, they’re going to love seeing Mick and Keith, and Ronnie and Bernard Fowler and Jordan up there playing and all the other guys in the band, but I think they’ll always think about Charlie. that’s going to be his legacy, is that he’ll always be the Rolling Stones’ drummer.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: September 3, 2021 23:23

gotdablouse
Some interesting thoughts by Steve Ferrone here : [www.pollstar.com]

Steve Jordan was slated to replace Charlie on this tour and Steve’s a really great drummer. But I think it’s going to be one of those things like when Frank Sinatra passed away and they get guys like Michael Bublé. Frank Sinatra fans go and see these guys, and they’re great artists, there’s no doubt about it, but they kind of sit there and think about Frank Sinatra. I think that’s what’s going to happen now if The Rolling Stones continue to tour, people are going to love the songs, they’re going to love seeing Mick and Keith, and Ronnie and Bernard Fowler and Jordan up there playing and all the other guys in the band, but I think they’ll always think about Charlie. that’s going to be his legacy, is that he’ll always be the Rolling Stones’ drummer.

From a musician or huge fan's perspective, I think the statement above is probably true.

For the average fan, seeing the Stones because they've never seen the Stones or their friend or family member is going, etc., I don't think they will necessarily think about Charlie, especially because he's less visible in the show than say Ronnie or Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-03 23:24 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 3, 2021 23:33

what is so great about Keith Richards solo albums? not that he went so far away from stones sound, he did not. they're great because you hear keith playing with a band that sound so different, with a drummer that sound so different. a great drummer, a very different one from Charlie. Think about a wonderful soul ballad like Hate it when you leave. You can't easily get better than that, and the beat is so important in that. That is very different from what it would have been i f Keith kept that for the Stones. Yet it is beautiful, but different.
in that difference you see that very special thing about the rolling stones. the swing, the beat, provided by the one and only.
the band that is going on stage for the next leg of the no filter tour will be terrific, but it ain't going to be the rolling stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 02:03 by maumau.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 4, 2021 00:25

No Charlie - No Stones. For me its over. They are history. Mick, Keith and Ronnie may keep pn playing and they will fo their best. Of course. They will sound great I guess. But it won't be the Stones.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 4, 2021 00:27

No Charlie - No Stones. For me its over. They are history. Mick, Keith and Ronnie may keep on playing and they will do their best. Of course. They will sound great I guess. But it won't be the Stones.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 4, 2021 01:27

"If Brian,Bill, Charlie and me had never been on this planet, Mick and Keith would still have a band that sound exactly like the Rolling Stones". Stu

Date: September 4, 2021 02:10

CousinC
"If Brian,Bill, Charlie and me had never been on this planet, Mick and Keith would still have a band that sound exactly like the Rolling Stones". Stu

I am afraid that if you're in for a "battle of quotes" from band members about the "stones without charlie" I win hands down
but I am not interested in that, because I love them and respect them
also understand anyone who wants more
mick and keith are a treasure, and ronnie too, they will be great live with steve, i have no doubt

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: September 4, 2021 02:43

I love Steve Jordan, he is a world class drummer. But the Stones without Charlie is inconceivable to me. Let it go guys, this is the end. Don't tarnish the legacy. Release archival material and call it a day. The show must not go on...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 4, 2021 10:02

I understand all those emotions for Charlie.
He's been a part of my life since the 60's and I started the drums because of him and YaYa's.

But to be honest he often didn't really convince me in later years.
Some great Stones drumming was by other people like Kenny Jones and most fans wouldn't know.

I'm going to a Stones show to hear the music primarly, not to look at a museum.
I think the music will be even better with a younger drummer and I think a black rhythm section can swing.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 4, 2021 10:04

CousinC
I understand all those emotions for Charlie.
He's been a part of my life since the 60's and I started the drums because of him and YaYa's.

But to be honest he often didn't really convince me in later years.
Some great Stones drumming was by other people like Kenny Jones and most fans wouldn't know.

I'm going to a Stones show to hear the music primarly, not to look at a museum.
I think the music will be even better with a younger drummer and I think a black rhythm section can swing.

I will love Charlie forever...but you're right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 10:05 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 4, 2021 10:09

maumau
what is so great about Keith Richards solo albums? not that he went so far away from stones sound, he did not. they're great because you hear keith playing with a band that sound so different, with a drummer that sound so different. a great drummer, a very different one from Charlie. Think about a wonderful soul ballad like Hate it when you leave. You can't easily get better than that, and the beat is so important in that. That is very different from what it would have been i f Keith kept that for the Stones. Yet it is beautiful, but different.
in that difference you see that very special thing about the rolling stones. the swing, the beat, provided by the one and only.
the band that is going on stage for the next leg of the no filter tour will be terrific, but it ain't going to be the rolling stones

I think the Winos is a horrible example, since I don't recognize the greatness there (although some singular songs, like the one you mentioned, can be exceptions). Yes, there is a certain Stones vibe there, thanks to Keith and his signature sound and Stones-type songs, but as a band and the delivery of the songs, I find the result pretty boring and one-track minded. I would never think that in the league of The Rolling Stones, or some sort of variant of them, but just as Keith's solo project. The same with Mick's solo things.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 10:14 by Doxa.

Date: September 4, 2021 13:13

I am not with you about Keith's solo albums with the Winos Doxa, I love Talk is cheap and like Main offender (though, in the latter I find some of what you call "one-track minded") but I agree with you in considering them Keith solo projects, in fact I call them so at the very beginning of my post. I was not comparing Stones and Wino's greatness, that would be no sense, I was underlyimg the differences. Also considering the special relationship between Keith and Steve, a treasure in itself, because I don't think that Keith without the aid and support of Steve would have ever released CEH.

and here come my thoughts on what you say CousinC: "I'm going to a Stones show to hear the music primarly, not to look at a museum." I see what you mean in your post and I know very well that there are tracks on Stones records where it is not Charlie to provide the beat (funny that Questlove in his heartfelt tribute to Charlie on RollingStone would choose Almost hear you sigh as an example given that Steve Jordan has even the songwriting credits on that smiling smiley ), but this is the part that does not convince me. For too many years now the Stones have presented a Greatest Hits set to us with very few exceptions and in the form as close to the recorded track as possible. I can't think of anything more similar to a "live museum" than that. A great, fun, beautifully slopped yet professional museum.

As I have said before here, if this was 1969 or the seventies I will miss Charlie but also see a new drummer as an opportunity for the band to evolve, to explore new music making new albums different. That is why the death of Brian and the coming of Mick T and then Ronnie, was a very very different matter. Those were the changes in a creative band, creatively alive. I don't see that now, no need to quote the time passed since the last album of original songs. Would love to be proven wrong and hear in the future a new Rolling Stones album with Steve on drums. That I would like to hear very much, but as of now I can't see that coming at all

To go and hear the Rolling Stones catalogue live without Charlie.. I can't find any sense in it

No need to repeat that I understand and respect all that feel different about it

ps: if you ask me, I think that Mick and Keith have another option: to male a statement in which they drop the name and logo of the band and then continue to tour until the end of time. you could see that as naive or merely formal, but you could also see that as deep and symbolic, to honour Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 13:43 by maumau.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 4, 2021 17:21

Just minutes ago, Bernard Fowler posted a comment on Facebook implying this tour is not the Stones' final tour.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 17:24 by Topi.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 4, 2021 17:58

Topi
Just minutes ago, Bernard Fowler posted a comment on Facebook implying this tour is not the Stones' final tour.

[www.facebook.com]

smileys with beer

Date: September 4, 2021 18:19

Doxa

I think the Winos is a horrible example, since I don't recognize the greatness there (although some singular songs, like the one you mentioned, can be exceptions). Yes, there is a certain Stones vibe there, thanks to Keith and his signature sound and Stones-type songs, but as a band and the delivery of the songs, I find the result pretty boring and one-track minded. I would never think that in the league of The Rolling Stones, or some sort of variant of them, but just as Keith's solo project. The same with Mick's solo things.

- Doxa

I always thought that Waddy Wachtel was a splendid stand-in for Ron Wood, just in case..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 18:25 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 4, 2021 18:46

Topi

[www.facebook.com]

The link doesn't work w/o FB-login. Seems to be a fan-page named: "Rolling Stones The Best Band In The World".

This ominous FB-page posted on 3-Sep-2021: "On this page anyone who makes negative or inappropriate comments about The Rolling Stones will be immediately blocked!!" confused smiley

Date: September 4, 2021 19:05

Yes, it's a fan-run group (that I'm not even a member of) but it was still Bernard's (public) Facebook account that made the comment. Unless somebody's running a fake Bernard Fowler profile with 29k followers!

I know Bernard also has another, "private" Facebook profile, using his middle name as the first name instead of Bernard, but the profile in question has been on Facebook since 2008. [www.facebook.com]

I don't believe it's a fake profile. But if it is, my apologies.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 19:26 by Topi.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 4, 2021 20:03

Why is someone who calls Charlie Chad and Chas in the same post the one Bernard decides to answer to?

Date: September 4, 2021 20:32

That I have no way of knowing. I've seen fans call Charlie "Charly" or "Charley" too. Even here on IORR.

That's beside the point here. The point is, it would seem the band is not done just yet, they have plans beyond 2021, and Bernard knows this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 20:57 by Topi.

Date: September 4, 2021 20:53

Topi
That I have no way of knowing. I've seen fans call Charlie "Charly" or "Charley" too. Even here on IORR.

That's beside the point here. The point is, it would seem the band is not done just yet, they have plans beyobd 2021, and Bernard knows this.

Indeed.
Also puts this tour back into the same situation as we knew prior to Charlie's passing.
That they essentially have to get this tour in this year as they have (many I believe) commitments going forward.

Whether or not this contract has to be completed before they can move on to others, as some have speculated, is questionable.
Would assume if it has to be cancelled due to covid rules etc. that the commitment(s) wouldn't be binding.

Either way, gives me a bit of relief that if this leg ends up cancelled, I'll be there for the next- wherever it is.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2021 21:12

As if Bernard has any say....

I thought Bjornulf already confirmed (or strongly hinted at) shows for next year...several times he's mentioned it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 21:14 by Hairball.

Date: September 4, 2021 21:26

Odd...

Who implied he had "say"?
Sasha doesn't either obv but we know they're rehearsing because of her winking smiley

As mentioned above ,,:puts it back to what we knew before Charlie's passing"
Things could have changed since then, for obvious reasons.

News flash- they're employment as stones side musicians, and their schedules "say" quite a bit. Lol...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-04 21:28 by MisterDDDD.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home