Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2021 06:26

Dougratajczak87
bam
Well, Mick, Keith, and Ronnie can still go out and rock. But Charlie provided the roll.

100%

Just listen to this cover of Gimme Shelter by Jason Isbell and 400 Unit for comparison

[www.jambase.com]

Charlie played drums in such a unique style that kept the band humming along yet in some regards it was like the drums weren’t even there. He perfectly blended his drums to the music so that in most instances, they are very hard to pick out of the mix imo. Truly a drummer that served the songs.

Now I do think you Steve Jordan will do well and blend his style with some aspects of Charlie’s so that the drums don’t stick out too much, but it’s 100% going to be different which I didn’t really understand myself until listening to the drums on the cover above.

Poster above nails it.

Stones without Charlie will rock but they’ll be missing the roll.

It's only fair to give Steve Jordan the chance - or whatever you want to call it - to play.

After all, it's not YOU playing.

Any idea why he won't roll?

Given the subject matter, the Stones never played Gimme Shelter the same yet alone however many.

Other songs, at times, they played as true as possible.

Jordan will be different. Maybe eerily similar.

Maybe Jordan will be so different you actually like it.

It will be what it will be. It is what it is.

It doesn't define your or anyone's life. Charlie is gone.

How picky do people want to get? Keith hasn't been Keith since...?

Where does it end? Why does it matter? You have some medal you wag around town saying that the Stones are the best?

Charlie did what he did. For a long time. And he was awesome.

Time waits for no one. They're finding that out.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 29, 2021 06:43

They should go on if they choose....
Theyve already survived a number of upheavals ....It's called life ...

Mick aint a motor mechanic ...
Keith's no plumber ... Ronnie aint a doctor ..

Sit down shut up don't dare to cry
Things will get better if you really try
So don't ya panic don't ya panic
Give it one more try
Don't ya panic don't ya panic
Give it one more try
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
You gotta keep trying

............... One More Try - Jagger/Richards 1965

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 29, 2021 09:43

MisterDDDD
Rocktiludrop
There is one scenario that no one is prepared to stick their neck out and admit, that regardless of how great Charlie was as a drummer, he was well past his best since 2012, and that its possible the Stones will sound better with a younger stronger drummer.
Just saying, its very likely, but no one seems to have the attitude that Charlie was blessed to work with the Stones, they gave him a job and purpose right up to the end and enabled him riches he never dreamed of, he led a blessed life and didn't even have to pull his weight in interviews and promotion, they respected that that wasn't Charlie's style.
I don't think anyone can begrudge Mick and Keith continuing, they earned it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I certainly never heard anyone here complain about Charlie's skills dropping off.
And this is a crowd who is known to complain about every aspect of a performance including how they line up for the final bow winking smiley

As far as "pulling his weight", that strikes me as a cheap shot.
Wasn't fond of talking to the reporters or cameras, but also was defecto art director behind the scenes for decades, involved and consulted on stage design etc. etc.

I don't begrudge the Glimmers a damn thing either, but not at the expense of rewriting history or minimizing the skills or involvement of the others.

No it wasn't a cheap shot, it's a fact, in recent years the band have been playing painfully slow, you cant really argue that point, listen to 1990, hear the pace of songs like Brown Sugar or Start Me Up, then listen to 2017 etc , its painfully slow. It was trending to blame Keith for the pace of the songs on iorr but it was slowed down deliberately for Charlie, no disrespect but i think you will hear the difference in a few weeks time.
I think Mick and Keith have been very loyal to Charlie, and also Ronnie through all the years he wasn't really there through drink, as i say its my opinion the Glimmers have done all the hard work and if they wish to continue then they have no reason to feel guilty about it, its their creation, it's their refusal to let age stop them or define them, on they go until the last man's standing. They always looked up with respect at the old black Blues players and singers performing late in life until they dropped, it's their decision to do the same, if they choose to celebrate their 60th anniversary and make history then let's respect that decision, as i say they earned it.
You know Charlie himself has said many times that touring improved his health, that he only ever became sick when he wasn't touring, Mick, Keith and Ronnie are probably only too aware of that themselves, playing to live audiences creates an energy, it's not fully understood but this energy possibly could keep them fit and, well alive, who knows, OK without Charlie it won't be the same, but it can be something else, not necessarily better but different in a good way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-29 09:52 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 29, 2021 10:15

The clip they made for Charlie says it all, I guess....

I've got one heart and it hurts like hell
If you can't rock me somebody will

Date: August 29, 2021 13:56

z

Yeah i hear you Guy, anyone who says this man can't drum for the Stones is not really understanding Keith or this music.

[youtu.be]

Date: August 29, 2021 14:38

Rocktiludrop
z

Yeah i hear you Guy, anyone who says this man can't drum for the Stones is not really understanding Keith or this music.

[youtu.be]

That is not bad music, and it is solid drumming. But it does not sound like Charlie's drumming at all.

Posted by: adrianmfa2 ()
Date: August 29, 2021 15:04

Witness
Topi
Up to them to decide. Who am I to judge?

Exactly my attitude, too.

Agree

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 29, 2021 18:02

Woz
24FPS
Why do they have to go on? For what reason? Haven't you heard the Greatest Hits delivered enough times? No group lasted as long. No group will, at least for a long, long time.

Steve Jordan is an okay drummer. Too much trash can cymbals for me. He was good enough for Keith's solo albums, but he's not Charlie Watts. No one is. It was enough for them to lose the magic when Bill retired. It was never the same. Now it will be even less. The band has always been about chemistry. Brian Wilson can do his Greatest Beach Boy hits because most of the instrumentation was done by crack studio musicians.

The Stones have always been the whole being bigger than the individual parts. Even Mick couldn't make it on his own as a solo artist. The whole sound was based on three people, Charlie, Bill, and Keith. There's only one leg left on the three legged stool. There's no one to wobble with. They've done it all, many times over. Let it go. There is no 60th anniversary. Mortality called.

Why do they go on? Because it is in their DNA. It’s what they do.

Well, a Rolling Stone gathers no moss. So maybe there's some sort of a "moss phobia" that's driving them onward?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:20

treaclefingers
Woz
24FPS
Why do they have to go on? For what reason? Haven't you heard the Greatest Hits delivered enough times? No group lasted as long. No group will, at least for a long, long time.

Steve Jordan is an okay drummer. Too much trash can cymbals for me. He was good enough for Keith's solo albums, but he's not Charlie Watts. No one is. It was enough for them to lose the magic when Bill retired. It was never the same. Now it will be even less. The band has always been about chemistry. Brian Wilson can do his Greatest Beach Boy hits because most of the instrumentation was done by crack studio musicians.

The Stones have always been the whole being bigger than the individual parts. Even Mick couldn't make it on his own as a solo artist. The whole sound was based on three people, Charlie, Bill, and Keith. There's only one leg left on the three legged stool. There's no one to wobble with. They've done it all, many times over. Let it go. There is no 60th anniversary. Mortality called.

Why do they go on? Because it is in their DNA. It’s what they do.

Well, a Rolling Stone gathers no moss. So maybe there's some sort of a "moss phobia" that's driving them onward?

They are clearly still looking for Satisfaction.
They try and they try... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:36

Don't $top

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 29, 2021 20:31

Nikkei
This "some people think it's not the Stones anymore without Brian Jones" is not the argument you think it is

Oh please tell me what my argument is. People also say it hasn’t been the same since Bill Wyman. In fact, people constantly say they haven’t been the same since 19__.

I say get over yourself and stop trying to define what this band is or should be.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 29, 2021 20:40

They can tour as

STONES

There would be no falsehood or scam in this band name

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-29 20:41 by 1962.

Date: August 29, 2021 20:47

jumpingjackflash5
Rocktiludrop
z

[youtu.be]

That is not bad music, and it is solid drumming. But it does not sound like Charlie's drumming at all.

Well yes but the point im obviously unsuccessfully trying to point out is that it won't be Charlie but it will be something else, perhaps a good different winking smiley
Perhaps it's better i come back after show time when people understand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-29 20:49 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 29, 2021 20:49

Kinda feel sorry for the hardcore fan$ who think it's about the money at this stage.
To be that far off the mark and thinking it's still like it's the seventies or eighties. Regardless, this final leg is about legacy and love for what they do.
Making it to 60 years is an accomplishment that no other rock band has done.

They don't want to limp across the finish line, although fate may dictate that, they want to go out with a bang, same as the fans want for them.

They all already have generational wealth, the money doesn't change their personal lives or lifestyles a bit, just their wills.

Bottom line is it's the same reason we all still go to see them.
They LOVE what they do.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 29, 2021 21:11

Sure they love what they do. The fact that they net millions per show is a big part of why they love it. Let’s be real. And it’s not a knock at all.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 29, 2021 22:08

They can tour as

STONES

Like Dead and Company. No Jerry, its not the Grateful Dead. People go, its fun but its not the same and not as good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2021 22:28

daspyknows
They can tour as

STONES

Like Dead and Company. No Jerry, its not the Grateful Dead. People go, its fun but its not the same and not as good.

That's why it's not The Grateful Dead.

The Rolling Stones... different.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 29, 2021 23:48

They love what they do. But they will miss Charlie. Thats what I think. The Rolling Stones are history.
And we were spoiled such a long time! I'm greatfull for what they did.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 30, 2021 00:28

Hysteria is inappropriate - nobody here is trying to tell the remaining men in the
Stones how to go on with their lives. At the same time it is not insulting to express the opinion from a listener's (and viewer's) point of view, that Charlie Watts is irreplaceable inside the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 30, 2021 01:21

....sorry but in a previous post you suggested they stop...so aren't you doing what you just wrote nobody should do?.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 30, 2021 01:49

Rip This
....sorry but in a previous post you suggested they stop...so aren't you doing what you just wrote nobody should do?.

The remaining men on the ship will continue - they do not need my advice. Yet, I believe, that Mr. Watts is not a man you can replace. Yet, I think that the shows, which are to come, will give the audience a shadow of the Stones. Be blessed°

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 30, 2021 02:17

Mick and Keith are musicians and writers .Why should they stop until they no longer can.Picasso and Toscanini kept going to the end.Maybe it’s just not The Rolling Stones band anymore

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 30, 2021 02:22

GasLightStreet

It's only fair to give Steve Jordan the chance - or whatever you want to call it - to play.

People pay to listen and SEE who is playing. Granted, in concert having the right musicians can make the music differences seem barely noticeable even if played by someone else. Take Paul McCartney for instance. You're not getting John, George or Ringo, but if you can look past that, the music kind of sounds the same live because Paul's voice is singing it and the other musicians are playing it the way it sounds in recordings. The problem is, for 60 years people have come to expect Charlie on the stool, anyone else would fail the visual test. Without Bill on bass I think there has been a huge loss in both visual and sound. The Stones have tried to bury Daryll in the corner, but you can only fool the casual fans.

Date: August 30, 2021 02:24

Rokyfan
Sure they love what they do. The fact that they net millions per show is a big part of why they love it. Let’s be real. And it’s not a knock at all.

That's absolutely right!$

And to think they make close to 10 million for a private show with a 14 song set...of course they love it.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 30, 2021 02:28

They should tour as long as they have the desire and the public provides the demand.

Date: August 30, 2021 02:33

daspyknows
They can tour as

STONES

And after reading what Keith and Mick had said about being unable to imagine the Rolling Stones without Charlie, an asterisk should be added to their name...

*STONES

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 30, 2021 04:43

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet

People pay to listen and SEE who is playing. Granted, in concert having the right musicians can make the music differences seem barely noticeable even if played by someone else. Take Paul McCartney for instance. You're not getting John, George or Ringo, but if you can look past that, the music kind of sounds the same live because Paul's voice is singing it and the other musicians are playing it the way it sounds in recordings. The problem is, for 60 years people have come to expect Charlie on the stool, anyone else would fail the visual test. Without Bill on bass I think there has been a huge loss in both visual and sound. The Stones have tried to bury Daryll in the corner, but you can only fool the casual fans.

Perfectly true, many in the hardcore fan camp may not be willing to accept anyone else filling in, for the very reasons you have given. As far as I am concerned, I can see them morphing into their own tribute band (just like Townshend and Daltrey), which gives me physical pain. But as long as a) your "casual fan" (i.e. 99 per cent of the typical audience) is fine with that and keeps rushing to the box office b) the principals still get a kick out of their live performances, I cannot see why that should matter to them.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 30, 2021 11:12

They didn’t stop after Brian died. He was a founding member who was replaced. The replacement was also later replaced.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 30, 2021 11:50

Father Ted

They didn’t stop after Brian died. He was a founding member who was replaced. The replacement was also later replaced.

And Keith said in the 2012 Crossfire Hurricane documentary film: "Ronnie was like a real breath of fresh air, in a way" - (Pos. 1:36:29).

Something like that could happen again ....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 30, 2021 12:50

Father Ted

Yes, but doing the same when they’re close to 80 is a different matter entirely. They’re likely not touring into their 90s. No Charlie, no Stones. They’ve toured that mantra many times. It’s an amputated Rolling Stones we’re looking at here, but if I should find a smidgen of something positive, brought along with last week’s very tragic events, it’d be that they’ve been given an opportunity to finish a last US Tour and then maybe some event in London next year, celebrating the life of Charlie, celebrating their 60th, celebrating their career and celebrating their end.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home