Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2021 03:45

I'm really really tired of this. Let's mourn the loss of Charlie Watts and then we will see what the Rolling Stones decide to do. It is not up to us. The Stones have earned the right to do what they want to do. For right now I am choosing to remember my favorite drummer not speculate on something that I have ZERO control and input on.

Date: August 27, 2021 04:11

Of course the US tour will go on. They are professionals and Charlie's wish was Steve Jordan to replace him. They might have business obligations as well. I only see cancelations due to covid.
Anyway without Charlie they are not the Rolling Stones anymore - but the "brand" still exists. My guess is Mick, Keith & Ronnie will respect Charlie's wish about the future of the band (without him) - and I think he was still able to think about that, decide and pass the message on somehow..

Posted by: mtripoli ()
Date: August 27, 2021 04:20

It is time for them to stop. It is so much different than Brian Jones passing away, maybe due to their youth and they had only be around for 6-7 years. The same is true for Mick Taylor, everyone knew that the band would continue. But we are not talking about Jones or Taylor, this is Charlie Watts, who was there at the very beginning, still cannot believe he is gone. They are all worth hundreds of millions of dollars, can it possibly be about money anymore? There comes a time for all things to end. They can all still do their own thing with solo efforts, but with Charlie gone, no matter what, they just can no longer be The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 27, 2021 04:52

wonderboy
Very lively discussion.
My take is that now that we're absorbing the loss of Charlie, it frees us up to acknowledge the band is over, too, and that creates all sorts of emotions. In one way, the extended fairytale of the Vegas era can now be looked at in a more critical light. There's also fear that this group of musicians, whose brand was built on friendship and loyalty to each other, will behave in a crass and cold manner. If so, does that mean we were fooled all these years?
For my part, I feel any sorts of 'tributes' and 'do it for Charlie' are ridiculous ideas that don't suit Mick and Keith. But I will be disappointed in Keith if he starts talking about putting a new band together, or some such line of jive. Jagger I have no expectations, not saying this negatively, but he's not a man who has normal human emotions.
The wild cards are the family members. Do Keith's daughters and Ronnie's wives want them to go out on the road in this emotional cauldron. These are fragile old men, after all.
The Stones never had plans to say goodbye. This is the goodbye. I hope they recognize it.

Yup, "The wild cards are the family members."

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 27, 2021 07:26

enough. charlie's wish would have been that he doesn't die. or have needed the procedure that he had. no one can even place mick, keith or woody anywhere on the planet for the past two weeks. or now. "the shows are going to go on! and i am going to cheer the loudest to let everyone know how much charlie means to me!" is pure masterbatory editorializing. just stop. kenny jones said he spoke to charlie on his birthday. he knew he was sick, just not grave. paul said the same thing. let the rolling stones be the rolling stones and let them gather and honor and get back to us on their own time. the idea of them going on stage in a month is ridiculous. they know what a hole this creates. how would it be enjoyable for them? we haven't heard from any of them. you want to honor charlie, shut yer trap. and don't demand they be on stage by sept. 26th.

Posted by: Sway65 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 09:52

TheGreek
what else is it about if not for the money

Maybe it's because they enjoy playing together? After all, how could money possibly be a motive given their age and the fact that they are already millionaires several times over? It's not as if they need cash.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 27, 2021 13:20

slew
I'm really really tired of this. Let's mourn the loss of Charlie Watts and then we will see what the Rolling Stones decide to do. It is not up to us. The Stones have earned the right to do what they want to do. For right now I am choosing to remember my favorite drummer not speculate on something that I have ZERO control and input on.

thumbs up

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:23

I'm not going to read this entire thread, but I'm guessing the general consensus of those here is, "Yes, they should quit, but not just yet, because I need closure and for that, I have to see them one last time."

Is that about right?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:30

tatters

Is that about right?

No, unfortunately not - the opinions on this topic are very different and reach from 'stop now' until 'go on forever' ....

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:32

Sway65
TheGreek

Maybe it's because they enjoy playing together? After all, how could money possibly be a motive given their age and the fact that they are already millionaires several times over? It's not as if they need cash.
Only Mick Jagger could give the answer to this .

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:33

I don't know... But if they don't, Steve Jordan's the right man for the job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 18:35 by ryanpow.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:44

my take is that this should be the end, for a very specific reason
they're not the young creative band fuelled by mick and keith creativity they were when brian died. It is not something comparable with that. They were a lively band with a future back then, they could shape the Rolling Stones with new music. And they did. Oh my, if they did.

But for a long time now they have not been making new music, they toured and toured with the big hits of their catalogue. A still image of a the past.

Charlie is Charlie and it would have been hard to replace even in 69, but now?
If they were a band in fully creative force one could sense something beyond the grief of the loss of Charlie.

but what is the sense in a new drummer, even the great Steve Jordan, to play the 60's and 70's catalogue? that is beyond a nostalgia act

im respectful o

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:47

maumau
my take is that this should be the end, for a very specific reason
they're not the young creative band fuelled by mick and keith creativity they were when brian died. It is not something comparable with that. They were a lively band with a future back then, they could shape the Rolling Stones with new music. And they did. Oh my, if they did.

But for a long time now they have not been making new music, they toured and toured with the big hits of their catalogue. A still image of a the past.

Charlie is Charlie and it would have been hard to replace even in 69, but now?
If they were a band in fully creative force one could sense something beyond the grief of the loss of Charlie.

but what is the sense in a new drummer, even the great Steve Jordan, to play the 60's and 70's catalogue? that is beyond a nostalgia act

im respectful o

Somewhat agree with this, but as you say they’re old. And that is why I think they should have a chance to give a proper farewell.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 27, 2021 19:55

JumpingKentFlash

Somewhat agree with this, but as you say they’re old. And that is why I think they should have a chance to give a proper farewell.

I second that, but one last concert could do it. a tour is a different story, and what will happen next year for the 60th anniversary?

Posted by: wavelength ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:00

50-53-58-59-60-61
does it really make any difference? why as a society are we so hooked on multiples of ten? you quit when the time is right, preferably when you are at your peak or just past it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:42

retired_dog
If anything, I think it's disrespectful, even presumptuous, to tell the band what to do now, in particular in an authoritative way like "they should/have to/must do this or that" like some here obviously feel entitled to do just because they're fans since oh so long.

The band is free, free to do whatever they want, any old time.

Eggzactly! It's amazing that some decide themselves what they thing is distasteful or disrespectable, and think their opinion of that somehow applies to everyone.

Desecrating someone's grave, no question all are in agreement that would be something that qualifies as disrespectful. But making a life decision on whether or not they should continue doesn't fall under that category, by a long shot. Now trying to dictate how others must behave to one's own set of standards, that is disrespectful.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 27, 2021 21:12

LeonidP
retired_dog
If anything, I think it's disrespectful, even presumptuous, to tell the band what to do now, in particular in an authoritative way like "they should/have to/must do this or that" like some here obviously feel entitled to do just because they're fans since oh so long.

The band is free, free to do whatever they want, any old time.

Eggzactly! It's amazing that some decide themselves what they thing is distasteful or disrespectable, and think their opinion of that somehow applies to everyone.

Desecrating someone's grave, no question all are in agreement that would be something that qualifies as disrespectful. But making a life decision on whether or not they should continue doesn't fall under that category, by a long shot. Now trying to dictate how others must behave to one's own set of standards, that is disrespectful.

Good point made here. I can imagine that all could agree here and thus set this as common ground.

As for one's feel - that naturally might differ.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: August 27, 2021 22:12

No.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 27, 2021 22:21

PTownshend
No.

Of course you would say that

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2021 22:26

PTownshend
No.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Sway65 ()
Date: August 28, 2021 05:05

TheGreek
Sway65
TheGreek

I think it's going to need consensus between Mick, Keith and Ronnie. But yeah, if Mick's not up for it then that's the full stop.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: August 28, 2021 08:50

I just watched, for the first time, the video of Matt Lauer (filling in for Bob Costas) interviewing Charlie Watts. It was quite lovely to hear Charlie give such a long interview. What really struck me was what he said when asked about Bill Wyman leaving the band. Lauer asked Charlie how hard it would be to “pick up and move on” without Bill and Charlie replied: “Pick up and move on, oh, that’s not hard. Whether it’s going to be as good as with Bill, I don’t know. Have to wait and see.”

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 28, 2021 11:52

Sway65
TheGreek
Sway65
TheGreek

I think it's going to need consensus between Mick, Keith and Ronnie. But yeah, if Mick's not up for it then that's the full stop.

With quotes correctly belonging to their respective posters.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 28, 2021 15:02

Well its good to see so many vintage posters back!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 28, 2021 15:32

My initial posting on this very topic, on the very day of Charlie’s passing, was that they should immediately stop.

I’ve had several days thinking on it, digesting it in the only way I myself can. Which is to say, I can’t fathom how the the band and the families, the other stage members, and the whole Rolling Stones crew and entourage are coping.

I’ve read they intend to undertake the tour.

If that’s THEIR coping mechanism, so be it. I respect THEIR decision. They are in a better place than any of US to KNOW if they CAN go on. If the CAN, and WANT TO, I respect THEIR decision go for it.

Rod

Date: August 28, 2021 16:29

of course its their decision and I will respect that, of course
also for me it is the end of the rolling stones and that in no way mean that such musicians as mick keith and ronnie should stop playing
hope they all put out music in the future, I will be listening to it, I will buy it
and I will buy stones music from the vaults

I just take it seriously, no Charlie no Stones
just as it would be with Mick and keith
period

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 28, 2021 16:56

maumau
JumpingKentFlash

I second that, but one last concert could do it. a tour is a different story, and what will happen next year for the 60th anniversary?
The 60th doesn’t really mean much at this point. As Keith said “People get confused about the zeros”. A single show in London, which would serve as the farewell, Charlie tribute, a 60th anniversary and last hurrah could be very nice. Get a few guests along with it, like Paul and Ringo guesting on I Wanna Be Your Man and such. Not contemporary artists, but a few heroes and friends like Springsteen, the two Beatles, maybe Townsend and Daltrey on The Last Time. And again I stress it should be done as a tribute to CW and and as their last show. Have it at the O2, which was the venue of their last world tour show ever.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 28, 2021 16:57

maumau
of course its their decision and I will respect that, of course
also for me it is the end of the rolling stones and that in no way mean that such musicians as mick keith and ronnie should stop playing
hope they all put out music in the future, I will be listening to it, I will buy it
and I will buy stones music from the vaults

I just take it seriously, no Charlie no Stones
just as it would be with Mick and keith
period

I can respect that sentiment and partially agree with it.

But I think back to when Bill left (and Brian somewhat before that) and think of all the great Rolling Stones music and shows etc that came after and am grateful that they carried on. I'm sure there are those that felt at the time, and perhaps still do, that they weren't The Rolling Stones after those departures.
They were wrong.

Believe it will be somewhat of a moot point though.
We all were prepared for Charlie to sit this one out, and future shows are going to be few at most, perhaps just a final bow at Hyde Park or similar.
Any album(s) will likely include Charlie ("where is the new album anyway") Watts, and be "authentic" Rolling Stones.

For me this tour is perhaps a chance to honor Charlie, and move into accepting this near lifelong love affair is almost over.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 28, 2021 17:04

This debate is on continuous repetition now. We have heard all the arguments. None is better than the other. Words, words, words...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 28, 2021 17:12

I have to say I am very glad I went back to see them in 2018. A high note to close the book on. In 2017 I witnessed an empty husk of a band and I was convinced they had taken it a bridge to far. I would have always been sad if that was the end because it sure felt like that. I don't really wanna risk another experience like that, but on the other hand they did prove they were able to bounce back. So they might prove me wrong once more, but the chances for that seem very slim now.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home