Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:21

I’m still on the Do It For Charlie bandwagon.
2021: US Tour
2022: Release album and have ONE farewell concert in London (You know they love having that synergy going of media buzz/new album/shows/merchandise). They could even bill it as The Last Show or something. And then call it quits after that.

This way it’s a nice way to go out, and it’s been stretched as far as it should go.

A big bang and they’re out. And I can’t stress this enough: Do it all in the spirit of Charlie.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:34

Maybe they should do some farewell shows in the O2 Arena in London next year, like Michael Jackson wanted to do with This Is It, and Prince did it before. Give the fans a chance to say goodbye, the final curtain call for the Rolling Stones, and have special guests like Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, Tina Turner maybe, Buddy Guy, the last of the old rockers

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:48

I tend to agree it would be tough to think of them as the Rolling Stones without Charlie but if the remaining three decide to still tour after the current tour obligations are fullfilled I would respect their decisions and would still go see them.

To me it is like the WHO still touring with only Daltry and Townshend left.

I saw them a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the concert but it was more nostalgia then thinking of them as the Who.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:58

We all have our opinions, but what matters is what Charlie would have wanted, really. Despite Keith's famous quote "No Charlie, no Rolling Stones", Charlie for sure would have wanted them to go on.
All we need to do is close our eyes from time to time and face Charlie in our minds. Every concert so far was different musically, so no need to worry about that. More than ever it is now remembering Charlie with the help of Mick, Keith and Ronnie.
None of us has a choice, we all have to roll on until our own stone stops rolling. And so do the remaining Stones ... with us, the fans.

cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:06

Finishing that last record with Charlie's last recorded work would be more of a tribute to him than a tour with a big black cloud hanging over it - For me, I can't imagine these shows being a happy event for the fans or the band -

I've dreaded this day for a long time - but it's over - there is no replacing him and trying to go on would be disingenuous -

Like it's been said earlier - there is so much stuff in the can for them to work on - so much stuff to finish properly as a tribute to their friend and bandmate - and I think that they could do this sincerely and it would live on forever in a way that sad tours of the same songs and a blaring hole on the stage ever could -

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:07

JumpingKentFlash
2022: Release album and have ONE farewell concert in London (You know they love having that synergy going of media buzz/new album/shows/merchandise). They could even bill it as The Last Show or something. And then call it quits after that.

This way it’s a nice way to go out, and it’s been stretched as far as it should go.

A big bang and they’re out. And I can’t stress this enough: Do it all in the spirit of Charlie.

This is basically my stance, although it begs the question of how far along they actually got in completing enough material for a new album. They've had guest drummers in the studio before but I wonder if a new album is still happening after this

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:10

it's_all_wrong
JumpingKentFlash

This is basically my stance, although it begs the question of how far along they actually got in completing enough material for a new album. They've had guest drummers in the studio before but I wonder if a new album is still happening after this

I’ve long had a creepy feeling that they were waiting for one of them to pass, before putting it out. But it’s just me overthinking things.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:15

JumpingKentFlash
it's_all_wrong
JumpingKentFlash

I’ve long had a creepy feeling that they were waiting for one of them to pass, before putting it out. But it’s just me overthinking things.

I'm sure, you're overthinking here.

And yes, US Tour, then the new album and more than just ONE gig in Europe, please!!! smiling bouncing smiley

I'm missing Charlie. I'm sure I'm not the only one who shed some tears yesterday. Even today at the office in some more silent minutes it nearly overwhelmed me.

But then I try to reflect on my huge thankfulness for all those years with all of them. And that makes it kind of bearable. I mean, what a band!!!

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:27

GerardHennessy
Rocktiludrop
Fan Since 1964
I'm so saddened by Charlie Watts passing away and feel empty inside.
To me Charlie were the glue that made the Stones stick together for all those years. The Wembley whammer had a lot of influence on the bands work, Not only musically but also took great part in designing stages for tours.

Now when the backbone of the Stones no longer can take part of the bands future work then it's time to ask then question if the Stones should stop rolling or not.

I myself think it's time to do so. The feeling is that they are no longer the Stones without Charlie. The sound and look isn't there anymore. So this leg of the "No Filter" - tour should be the last and should only performed to pay respects to Charlie and after the final note of the final song in the final concert the Stones should call it quits.

Next year it would have been 60 years of relentless and enduring rock and roll worth celebrating. But celebrating 60 years without Charlie is so sad.

I remember the words that Ronnie Woods said in a video by the Stones: "Charlie is the engine and we don't go anywhere without the engine". Words that should speak loudly in the near future.

Now one might say that Charlie in his manner as a person would like the Stones to carry on. He never thought of himself as the best drummer. But we all think he is and many other musicians think so as well.

Charlie can't be replaced by anyone! So stop rolling after this tour.

No i disagree, if the Stones stop touring it will feel like they all died.

Life is for the living, i don't think Mick, Keith and Ronnie want to be in God's waiting room, just waiting for the axe to fall, what good will come of that for us or the remaining Stones.
That way i feel like i am also in God's waiting room, while the Stones still tour, i am not old, and neither are you.

I take it you have been told that is what Mick, Keith and Ronnie actually think? That they WANT to keep playing? With respect, you have no idea WHAT they think. The chances are that they will have different views from each other.

Personally I would find it really hard to keep on playing if a lifelong friend and fellow musician had died. Especially at the age The Stones are. Its not as if Charlie was with them for 10-15 years. They have been together for longer than any other band in the world. Sixty years pretty much. That is an awful lot of memories, of bonding, of integrating so well they almost know what each other is thinking at any given moment.

While I don't want to assume all three of the remaining band members feel like I do, I'd be surprised if at least one of them did not feel pretty similar to me. In this regard the picture Keith posted was, I thought, quite telling. The empty drum seat, as if saying, how can anyone ever occupy this place again? And I'm remembering also that Led Zeppelin closed the shop when Bonzo died. An indication of how much his death kicked the foundation out from under the band. We may well see the same with ZZ Top now that Dusty has died, although they had pretty much ceased performing anyway in the past several years.

If we are real fans we surely cannot expect the remaining members to keep performing simply to reassure us that we are not old ourselves. Or that life goes on like nothing really happened.

So that's what you think they should think, look man, life goes on, ive lost people i love but we carry on because it's what we do, or we call it a day and end it all.
All this talk, they probably knew Charlie wasn't coming back, just like Bobby Keys didn't come back, the decision was already made, the Stones continue, they stop when Mick or Keith says they stop.
You won't find a more sensitive emotional person than me, but i don't buy into this guilt trip, its not what Charlie wanted, The Stones celebrate Charlie now the only way they know how, they say it with music and feeling, these shows will have so much depth and meaning, death isn't the end anyway, i just wish others could comprehend that we look at death in the wrong way, these shows will be a celebration of Charlie's love and commitment. Enough negativity, it's not what the Stones are about, they are about life and living it, they have been living with loss all their lives, Keith especially has lost so many people dear to him, but he gets on with life and makes the best out of the gifts he has, what else can he do, you can only spend so many days sat by the pool or interfering with other people's lives.
Does Townshend carry any guilt because he carries on with the WHO, yes im sure he does, but does he regret touring, not on your life.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:47

I wish they had elected to end it on their own terms. They've lost that opportunity now, I fear. I can't continue to follow a band and watch the members drop off one by one on tour, or, God forbid, on stage.

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:59

Massimo68
JumpingKentFlash
I can only state my opinion. Do this US Tour in Charlie’s honour and then maybe a single indoor show in London early next year - After that, call it quits.
The US Tour is unfinished business from last year. They’ll be able to honour CW there.
And then a London show to get a proper ending.

A last single show with all the top drummers for just one song : Ringo Starr, Dave Grohl, Jason Bonham, Nick Mason, Lars Ulrich, Phil Rudd, Stewart Copeland, Zak Starkey, Larry Mullen...

Vergeet Cesar Zuiderwijk van The Golden Earring niet.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:16

I don't think there is a right or wrong here. On one side you have the Rolling Stones as a band which lost an most important member and it feels wrong to continue without him. On the other side there are the individuals Mick, Keith and Ronnie who are passionate about their music and love playing it. And for me it feels wrong too to expect from those guys to quit doing what they love. So i'm fine with whatever they decide to do.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:27

People that know I'm a fan have been reaching out to talk about Charlie Watts and the Stones and get a measure on my thoughts. I've been clear to say that I really think they should cancel the mini tour out of respect for Charlie and because of COVID issues. Put it off until next year and take time to reflect and see how it feels after the holidays. It's the right thing to do IMO. The music world is watching to see how they react. You can bet on it.

I will say that a couple people have told me that if the Stones are out there playing in a couple weeks then it disrespects Charlie and his family and proves they are only in it for the money, especially with the outrageous ticket prices being charged even for "cheap seats."

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:51

Looks as if they will be pushing ahead with the tour. I do hope that they do something special for Charlie in London next year and then gracefully bow out.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:49

The Sicilian
People that know I'm a fan have been reaching out to talk about Charlie Watts and the Stones and get a measure on my thoughts. I've been clear to say that I really think they should cancel the mini tour out of respect for Charlie and because of COVID issues. Put it off until next year and take time to reflect and see how it feels after the holidays. It's the right thing to do IMO. The music world is watching to see how they react. You can bet on it.

I will say that a couple people have told me that if the Stones are out there playing in a couple weeks then it disrespects Charlie and his family and proves they are only in it for the money, especially with the outrageous ticket prices being charged even for "cheap seats."

As to motives, do you yourself share the viewpoint in bold, set forth in this special context? Or are you only a witness over remarks listened to?

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:09

I never thought the day would come where I'd feel this way, but as I wrote in another post last night, I obviously don't want the Stones to end, but I can't handle the thought of seeing another drummer in Charlie's spot. Not at this point. It's just different than when Bill left in 1993 and they replaced him with Darryl: Charlie had another 28 years since then, and he's been with the band from the beginning right from the first album. So it's also different than when Brian died and Mick Taylor left. It's going to feel so strange and empty.

For so many years, the public thought the Stones were Mick and Keith. But the real fans--the diehards--know the Stones are a three-legged stool when it came to the fundamentals: Mick, Keith and Charlie. Take one of those legs away, and it's just not the Stones anymore. I'm not saying Mick, Keith and Ronnie won't still make great music, but it's just not the Stones.

I don't know if it's time to call it a day, but I would like to see a nice memorial concert for Charlie. Where all of us...the fans, the Stones, colleagues, and musical piers..could come to pay tribute. Maybe instead of some 60th anniversary concert, the band could do that instead. Get Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor back for one night,and play one more time for Charlie.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:27

Witness
The Sicilian

As to motives, do you yourself share the viewpoint in bold, set forth in this special context? Or are you only a witness over remarks listened to?

Well, conversations usually start out with "hey did you hear about Charlie Watts" and the discussions eventually come to the tour, will they play or will they cancel. I have to admit that a few people have come right out and said what I wrote above. Some just don't even mention it. As far as I'm concerned, Keith made his thoughts known back when Charlie was ill. Older people that say things like that mean it. I can't see why they would do the shows other than for the money. So yes, I would agree. Otherwise what's a few months to take off then collaborate and decide if it's the right thing to carry on. COVID is also creating issues everywhere too. The governor of Oregon just ordered masks to be worn outdoors by everybody no exceptions.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:47

The only reason the Stones still sounded like the Stones when Darryl replaced Bill was because Charlie was still driving the beat. You can't deny Darryl does not play or sound like Bill. How Charlie plays is the Stone's sound.

Now you replace both and the rhythmic foundation of the Stones will now sound like a cover or tribute band with original members.

Both Darryl and Steve are fantastic musicians but IMO are totally wrong for the Stones. Darryl is too slick a player and Steve can't lay back like Charlie. So different than Bill and Charlie.

I think they should go on if they can and want to and if fans want to see them still.

Will be fun to see what they do with a new rhythm section but I won't be parting with my $$ to see that. Not that they will likely ever come to T.O. again.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:53

The Sicilian
Witness
The Sicilian

Well, conversations usually start out with "hey did you hear about Charlie Watts" and the discussions eventually come to the tour, will they play or will they cancel. I have to admit that a few people have come right out and said what I wrote above. Some just don't even mention it. As far as I'm concerned, Keith made his thoughts known back when Charlie was ill. Older people that say things like that mean it. I can't see why they would do the shows other than for the money. So yes, I would agree. Otherwise what's a few months to take off then collaborate and decide if it's the right thing to carry on. COVID is also creating issues everywhere too. The governor of Oregon just ordered masks to be worn outdoors by everybody no exceptions.

One thinkable other motive is simply that they are musicians. That to play as the Rolling Stones is something that they live for. In the same manner that a novelist needs to write novels. In addition, it is about experiencing the special communication between the band on the stage and the audience, with a kind of intoxication involved. Everything then related to their long history, which all this is built in.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:58

If they want to. They should 100% continue. 2022 and beyond.

Look. The Rolling Stones are bigger than life. People will wear Stones shirts and listen to the music 50 years from now and longer.

Mick,Keith and Ronnie have been doing this for 60 years. Its not like they can go back to their day jobs. This is their life.
If they want to retire. More power to them and thank you for the best 60 years this planet has had.

If they want to continue. Continuing life and celebrate Charlie Watts with 70 000 friends 15 times per year. It's a much better option than staying home and ''cry in their beer'' Like Keith says.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:08

It really is up to them but what I've learned here in the last 24 hours is the Stones will continue as long as Jagger is alive and can still go. If it's Jagger, Darryl, Steve, and 2 guest guitarists fans will still go, buy t shirts and merchandise and doing it all in the name on honoring/celebrating the Stones. Not saying that is right or wrong, but the fans here have spoken and that is what they have admitted to, knowingly or not knowingly.

Posted by: Jbargar ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:13

I respectfully disagree. Darryl was good for Charlie. And at this point has played with the Stones longer than Bill. The only reason Darryl got the gig was because Charlie and Keith wanted him. He to me is more the Stones and I would say the same about Chuck. I think those two with Charlie did more to hold them together than anyone else.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:18

TumblinDice76
It really is up to them but what I've learned here in the last 24 hours is the Stones will continue as long as Jagger is alive and can still go. If it's Jagger, Darryl, Steve, and 2 guest guitarists fans will still go, buy t shirts and merchandise and doing it all in the name on honoring/celebrating the Stones. Not saying that is right or wrong, but the fans here have spoken and that is what they have admitted to, knowingly or not knowingly.

Interesting.
Where exactly did you learn all this?"The fans here"?
"Not knowingly" doing a lot of work here.

Haven't seen any posts that would condone such nonsense.

I look at it like I (we) just lost one of my musical (and life) heroes.
Three more still standing, and I'm not willing or ready to lose them now, frankly.

Date: August 26, 2021 03:27

I could literally copy and paste said quotes on this thread but I'd still be here copying and pasting 24 hours from now. No need to be hasty, just been reading for the past 30 or so hours and that is the majority. Doesn't take much searching to see/read some fans think these will be some of the best shows. Just found that interesting. I didn't have any snark in my comment so I don't really need snark back at me.

Date: August 26, 2021 03:32

Lol.
That's ok. Sounds like you're a very very busy person.

ONE, would suffice, but even then methinks your imagination is running away with you.

Date: August 26, 2021 03:38

No Dusty, no ZZ Top
No Clarence, no E Street Band
No Malcolm, no AC/DC
No Lord, no Deep Purple

Well, we've all heard this many times. I think they should go on as long as they want to. TH. There are literally tons to choose. My apologies to the author of this. Not picking on you just showing there are several possible this. And No Mr. DDDDD I'm never to busy for you my friend.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:44

I think if they continue to tour together the should call it the Glimmer Twins and special guests rather than the Rolling Stones.

Date: August 26, 2021 03:52

TumblinDice76
No Dusty, no ZZ Top
No Clarence, no E Street Band
No Malcolm, no AC/DC
No Lord, no Deep Purple

Well, we've all heard this many times. I think they should go on as long as they want to. TH. There are literally tons to choose. My apologies to the author of this. Not picking on you just showing there are several possible this. And No Mr. DDDDD I'm never to busy for you my friend.

Not the time to bicker, emotions too raw.

Took exception with " If it's Jagger, Darryl, Steve, and 2 guest guitarists fans will still go, buy t shirts and merchandise and doing it all in the name on honoring/celebrating the Stones"

I don't believe this is accurate at all.. nor does your quote prove that.
I've read every post in the thread, and haven't seen a one that implied that.

It would be over if that was the case, and we all know it.

Date: August 26, 2021 03:55

Agree Mr. DDDDD. I've always enjoyed your posts. Find me in St. Louis and we can toast out friend Charlie together. Cheers mate!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:59

Yesterday and today I was gutted. The end of The Rolling Stones. The end of one of the greatest and most joyful things in my life...seeing the Stones.

Today I realized the most important thing is the music. It can and must live on and be enjoyed and if that means another drummer, so be it. He won't be Charlie. No one could be but he will be excellent, I'm sure, and playing these outstanding masterpieces that we've all loved. It's just so raw right now.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home