Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:03

WorriedAboutYou
You're confusing emotion and feelings with the motivation behind running an enormous corporate business like the Rolling Stones who employs hundreds of people. Do not underestimate Jagger's ability to separate emotion from business. If the remaining members are able to tour and make millions they will do so. Steve Jordan is the new drummer of The Rolling Stones now. They will tour and continue with this lineup, any new studio releases will feature parts Charlie recorded before his passing and will be complimented by session players in the studio.

Yeah it's a business but Mick and Keith might find it "hard" to do it without Charlie, their "rock". As long as he was around they could still pretend it was "like the old days", something they owed to themselves to keep going. Now, why bother ?

Anyway the US tour will likely happen as everything's been "prepared" for that (Charlie, apparently, passing on the torch "virtually" to SJ) so they can see how it feels and decide if they want to keep going...barring no other "fate" intervention, that will happen at some point obviously.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:08

It’s a really tough question.... I think Charlie is so integral to the sound of the Stones that perhaps they should call it a day.

However, I can see an alternative.....maybe Charlie’s death will spur the others on to get the album finished and to be more adventurous - and so perhaps with Steve Jordan they might go out on a limb and maybe even be a bit more current... they might feel that it’s time to takes few chances and, who knows, perhaps some new, totally different music comes from it. Would they still call themselves the Stones though???

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:27

DoomandGloom
Rediculous to do this tour and jump around like happy fools.

They could do it in a more bluesy and somber way. Would be fitting.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: tony ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:33

I personally would like the chance to be in the crowd again with my fellow fans and get a chance to cheer and maybe even cry when they flash Charlie’s picture up on the screen. I think he deserves that tribute and the remaining players deserve the chance to keep doing what they love. I hope to see Charlie’s drum set on the stage sitting empty for the rest of their days touring.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:44

It is time to say goodbye.
But of course they won't stop playing music.
The Rolling Stones sre history.
These words sound unreal.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:44

Its ok to this years tour and maybe some 60y celebration next year but then its time to close the book.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:56

JumpingKentFlash
DoomandGloom

They could do it in a more bluesy and somber way. Would be fitting.

Yeah, maybe put an end to the "Vegas Stones" that took flight in 1989...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 25, 2021 19:23

Well there’s different schools on this topic.
- Quit now and cancel everything.
- Do the US Tour and then quit.
- Do the US Tour and Europe next year and then quit.
- Keep going until everyone is gone.

I’d prefer the US Tour in Charlie’s honour and then maybe a single gig in London next year, before calling it quits. It’d be cool to have a last gig, though the real last gig was Miami ‘19. From now on though, everything is for Charlie’s honour.
And in all fairness: They have the chance to bow out with a fitting bang right now. How long do we expect people that old to continue? Charlie’s gone and the others has had health scares recently too. Keith even considered retirement back before Crosseyed Heart. They have that album brewing for many years now. I say do the tour, finish the album best way you can and do a single London gig next year. It’d be a nice way to end it all.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 19:32 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 25, 2021 19:27

DoomandGloom

Exactly! You got my vote. Don't we all just love those presumptuous assertions that 'this is what Charlie would have wanted' Really? How does anyone know? All the stuff we were fed 2-3 weeks ago, that Charlie will join the tour later, came courtesy of a Press Release written by a paid hack who was told by the businessmen behind the band what to write. By then poor Charlie was most likely too ill to care either way.

Then there is the 'Other bands have kept going. So why shouldn't The Stones do it too' viewpoint. I think it is so sad when bands try to pretend its just business as usual. It isn't! I hope The Stones have more class than those other bands who have kept grinding on, but are basically just faking it. And please don't keep giving us 'Mick and Keith are the only ones who have the right to make this decision' Lifelong fans do have a right to express their opinion and set out their views too. If it was not for us the band might have sunk without trace off the jetty at Eel Pie Island 55 years ago.

Of course we have a say. And it's not like they need the money for God's sake. Or that they need to pander to those who just want to jump around to warhorses they have heard a dozen times or more in concert 'Brought to you by The Music Of The Rolling Stones Band, sponsored by....and featuring special appearances by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' Be dignified. Call it now before it all sinks into ignominy

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: August 25, 2021 19:30

Will The Stones go the way of The Who, or Led Zeppelin???

Date: August 25, 2021 19:33

swaff
Will The Stones go the way of The Who, or Led Zeppelin???
They kind of are going the Zep way for the coming tour.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 25, 2021 19:43

tony
I personally would like the chance to be in the crowd again with my fellow fans and get a chance to cheer and maybe even cry when they flash Charlie’s picture up on the screen. I think he deserves that tribute and the remaining players deserve the chance to keep doing what they love. I hope to see Charlie’s drum set on the stage sitting empty for the rest of their days touring.

I'm with you, Tony. I think it's a bit cold to talk about dissembling the band. They, and we, just lost a beloved man, musician, and friend. Let's take time to grieve.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 25, 2021 19:50

Its all over but for the weeping.

RIP Charlie, RIP Stones.

jb

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 25, 2021 19:51

What happened to Led Zeppelin when John Henry Bonzo Bonham passed away ?

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 25, 2021 19:51

Fan Since 1964
I'm so saddened by Charlie Watts passing away and feel empty inside.
To me Charlie were the glue that made the Stones stick together for all those years. The Wembley whammer had a lot of influence on the bands work, Not only musically but also took great part in designing stages for tours.

Now when the backbone of the Stones no longer can take part of the bands future work then it's time to ask then question if the Stones should stop rolling or not.

I myself think it's time to do so. The feeling is that they are no longer the Stones without Charlie. The sound and look isn't there anymore. So this leg of the "No Filter" - tour should be the last and should only performed to pay respects to Charlie and after the final note of the final song in the final concert the Stones should call it quits.

Next year it would have been 60 years of relentless and enduring rock and roll worth celebrating. But celebrating 60 years without Charlie is so sad.

I remember the words that Ronnie Woods said in a video by the Stones: "Charlie is the engine and we don't go anywhere without the engine". Words that should speak loudly in the near future.

Now one might say that Charlie in his manner as a person would like the Stones to carry on. He never thought of himself as the best drummer. But we all think he is and many other musicians think so as well.

Charlie can't be replaced by anyone! So stop rolling after this tour.

No i disagree, if the Stones stop touring it will feel like they all died.

Life is for the living, i don't think Mick, Keith and Ronnie want to be in God's waiting room, just waiting for the axe to fall, what good will come of that for us or the remaining Stones.
That way i feel like i am also in God's waiting room, while the Stones still your, i am not old, and neither are you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 19:59 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 25, 2021 20:32

Rocktiludrop
Fan Since 1964
I'm so saddened by Charlie Watts passing away and feel empty inside.
To me Charlie were the glue that made the Stones stick together for all those years. The Wembley whammer had a lot of influence on the bands work, Not only musically but also took great part in designing stages for tours.

Now when the backbone of the Stones no longer can take part of the bands future work then it's time to ask then question if the Stones should stop rolling or not.

I myself think it's time to do so. The feeling is that they are no longer the Stones without Charlie. The sound and look isn't there anymore. So this leg of the "No Filter" - tour should be the last and should only performed to pay respects to Charlie and after the final note of the final song in the final concert the Stones should call it quits.

Next year it would have been 60 years of relentless and enduring rock and roll worth celebrating. But celebrating 60 years without Charlie is so sad.

I remember the words that Ronnie Woods said in a video by the Stones: "Charlie is the engine and we don't go anywhere without the engine". Words that should speak loudly in the near future.

Now one might say that Charlie in his manner as a person would like the Stones to carry on. He never thought of himself as the best drummer. But we all think he is and many other musicians think so as well.

Charlie can't be replaced by anyone! So stop rolling after this tour.

No i disagree, if the Stones stop touring it will feel like they all died.

Life is for the living, i don't think Mick, Keith and Ronnie want to be in God's waiting room, just waiting for the axe to fall, what good will come of that for us or the remaining Stones.
That way i feel like i am also in God's waiting room, while the Stones still your, i am not old, and neither are you.

I take it you have been told that is what Mick, Keith and Ronnie actually think? That they WANT to keep playing? With respect, you have no idea WHAT they think. The chances are that they will have different views from each other.

Personally I would find it really hard to keep on playing if a lifelong friend and fellow musician had died. Especially at the age The Stones are. Its not as if Charlie was with them for 10-15 years. They have been together for longer than any other band in the world. Sixty years pretty much. That is an awful lot of memories, of bonding, of integrating so well they almost know what each other is thinking at any given moment.

While I don't want to assume all three of the remaining band members feel like I do, I'd be surprised if at least one of them did not feel pretty similar to me. In this regard the picture Keith posted was, I thought, quite telling. The empty drum seat, as if saying, how can anyone ever occupy this place again? And I'm remembering also that Led Zeppelin closed the shop when Bonzo died. An indication of how much his death kicked the foundation out from under the band. We may well see the same with ZZ Top now that Dusty has died, although they had pretty much ceased performing anyway in the past several years.

If we are real fans we surely cannot expect the remaining members to keep performing simply to reassure us that we are not old ourselves. Or that life goes on like nothing really happened.

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:02

ZZ Top had definitely NOT ceased performing in the past several years, other than COVID delays. They have been touring more than ever. I saw them headline Bourbon & Beyond fest in Sept. 2019. ZZ Top has another 30 or so shows scheduled for 2021 alone, and they said they will do the dates even though Dusty passed.

Date: August 25, 2021 21:04

WorriedAboutYou
You're confusing emotion and feelings with the motivation behind running an enormous corporate business like the Rolling Stones who employs hundreds of people. Do not underestimate Jagger's ability to separate emotion from business. If the remaining members are able to tour and make millions they will do so. Steve Jordan is the new drummer of The Rolling Stones now. They will tour and continue with this lineup, any new studio releases will feature parts Charlie recorded before his passing and will be complimented by session players in the studio.

The fans ticket sales or lack there of will tell the will of the listeners

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: cyoe ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:14

It does not matter what I think, you think, anyone here or even Mick, Keith, and Ronny thinks, the Rolling Stones ended August 24, 2021. That just feels like a sad fact. There can be music without Charlie, but the Rolling Stones are no more. If H2O loses one atom it is no longer water, no matter what anyone's opinion or assertions are.

But music is in the band's DNA and, in time, they must play again. I'd like to see them retire the name perhaps in tribute to Charlie and go on, perhaps as the Glimmer Twins or Triplets, playing the music of the Rolling stones, plus whatever music is yet to come.

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:19

I still have tickets to an upcoming US show. If the show still goes on, I will be there, but it does seem like it will be a major downer. Not sure I will be in a very celebratory mood. And how could THEY?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:24

The Rolling Stones are no more. Period. The band that may or may not form out of the ashes CANNOT call themselves The Rolling Stones and continue to have my respect.

Sad and empty today. RIP Charlie.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:32

The Stones should not tour...How could you go to the show and expect anything less...Boo on MJ and KR if they do roll on.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:32

Addressing Naturalust's post: According to that logic, the band that set out with Mick Taylor as solo guitarist, ought to have changed their name. At least one prominent poster here seems to be of that opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 21:35 by Witness.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:52

They have a contractual obligation to do these postponed gigs. I guess Charlie was supportive of that also. I don't see anything wrong in that.
After that it's probably over when it comes to touring. I can't see them touring Europe without Charlie in 2022.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 25, 2021 21:56

Stoneage
They have a contractual obligation to do these postponed gigs. I guess Charlie was supportive of that also. I don't see anything wrong in that.
After that it's probably over when it comes to touring. I can't see them touring Europe without Charlie in 2022.

they should have enough money to get them out of contractual obligations, if the really want to

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:01

It's the remaining band members' choice obviously but its also everyone else's choice to agree or disagree with it.

It's over for me, sadly. The comparisons with bands who lost key members and carried on or re-formed isn't realistic as the remaining members were young/middle aged men who had decades more of living and playing ahead of them.

The remaining band members are 78,77 and 74. They're all capable of performing to a high standard but in the near future they probably won't be. The Stones have never until now had a reason to wrap it up as a live act. Yesterday they finally did. This was nature's way of telling them that enough is enough. Better to go out with dignity IMO. It's been an amazing ride. They dont owe any of us anything beyond fulfilling the shows they're scheduled to play later this year - and even then, I dont think anyone could blame them if they cancelled.

The Stones as a 'business' will continue and they dont necessarily have to dissolve the band. There's probably enough material laid down with Charlie to finally finish that long overdue final album and they could polish up more outtakes for some kind of career spanning boxed set to come out in a year or two (the 'fully finished outtakes' set sounds like it could be a template for that) but whilst I can see both sides of the argument regarding going ahead with the upcoming shows, I personally dont believe they should schedule any more after it and I really hope they won't.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:07

...Let's go Mick'Keith.... carry on....!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:08

slewan
Stoneage

they should have enough money to get them out of contractual obligations, if the really want to

That depends entirely of the details of said contract. We don't know if there's an out clause under these circumstances.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:11

Theyill decide for sure. And soon.

My opinion: they should do the US tour and the 60 anniversary tour in Europe. And then they could quit, me thinks.

It's not the same band after Charlie left. But nothing/nobody stays the same all the time. Everything must pass, they know it and we know it.

Steve Jordan is Charlie's choice - so let them play with Steve. Difference is just natural as is changing.

It's still the Stones! Even after Brian, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Bobby Keys...

So let them tour untill 2022 - I am sooo greatful for every note they play or publish since more than 40 years!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:17

A decision for 2 people and I’ll accept their decision either way. I sure hope they keep playing until they physically can’t. Since 1989 and of 45 shows, I still think the best Stones shows I’ve ever seen were those I saw in 2019. They are on top of their game. Keep Rolling! Thank you Charlie.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home