Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 25, 2021 14:42

I would still hope they do something to commemorate their forthcoming 60th Anniversary. An outdoor show at Hyde Park, perhaps. However: yes, I do now think it's time to bow-out otherwise, sadly. No more touring - aside from these rescheduled U.S. shows -, but a singular summer concert in London next year. I would hope they'll still release a new album, too. One final hurrah.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 25, 2021 14:44

Keep on rolling Mick, Keith and Ronnie. If your heart is in it then take it to the end of the line.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: August 25, 2021 14:57

terraplane
Keep on rolling Mick, Keith and Ronnie. If your heart is in it then take it to the end of the line.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:06

The Jagger Richards band? - no way

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:11

ThePaleRider
terraplane

that's about as good a use of that poem as I've seen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:37

If you never decide when to stop fate will take that decision for you. I think that is what happened here. The US tour is already on the way - so they will fulfill that obligation. The rest is only speculation.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:39

No Charlie = No Stones makes NO sense. That would mean Happy, Shine A Light, It's Only Rock-n-Roll, You Can't Always Get What You Want and perhaps other songs aren't actually The Rolling Stones as someone other than Charlie played the drums?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:42

I don't think they'll want to do a tribute show. That isn't their style but I'm sure they'll honour him in some very fitting way.

Date: August 25, 2021 15:55

The real truth is, I bet The Rolling Stones will still sound good on this upcoming tour. It will surely be bittersweet. The end is near enough as it is... No one lives forever. It would actually be ridiculous for them to stop. It would also be ridiculous to continue. Since both decisions are ridiculous anyway.... They might as well just keep on rolling on.... We are still likely to get new music that Charlie played on from the ever-promised new album coming out 'someday.' The worst part of the the upcoming shows will be the introductions, when the drummer is announced and it is not Charlie Watts. The best part of the upcoming shows will be the tributes, when the giant screen shows any image of Charlie. The roar of the crowd will be deafening... and it will be bring tears to the eyes of many. Mick Jagger can still belt out a tune. If they play, people will come. They will surely come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 15:56 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

No Charlie NO STONES
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:01

I was literally shocked when I saw the news. I could not believe it. Well it is indeed end of an era. I feel THE ROLLING STONES should not tour.Just cancel the dates and just release the album. And then retire.

Re: No Charlie NO STONES
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:04

More here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:04

No Dusty, no ZZ Top
No Clarence, no E Street Band
No Malcolm, no AC/DC
No Lord, no Deep Purple

Well, we've all heard this many times. I think they should go on as long as they want to.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:18

franzk
No Dusty, no ZZ Top
No Clarence, no E Street Band
No Malcolm, no AC/DC
No Lord, no Deep Purple

Well, we've all heard this many times. I think they should go on as long as they want to.

thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:22

pftw04
I was literally shocked when I saw the news. I could not believe it. Well it is indeed end of an era. I feel THE ROLLING STONES should not tour.Just cancel the dates and just release the album. And then retire.

Only two people left on this earth that have the right to make that call.

And you ain't one.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:44

No Charlie = No Stones makes NO sense. That would mean Happy, Shine A Light, It's Only Rock-n-Roll, You Can't Always Get What You Want and perhaps other songs aren't actually The Rolling Stones as someone other than Charlie played the drums?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:50

They can carry on as they choose, but for me the band no longer exists. That decision is personal to me.
I would guess the families of Keith and Ronnie are perhaps suggesting that it's time.
If they feel like going into the studio to finish what they have, that would be interesting. But not touring or even playing a 'final show.' That opportunity is unfortunately gone.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: August 25, 2021 15:52

For God sakes people, let people mourn before all this nonsense starts up...

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 25, 2021 16:23

Stupidest thread ever.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 25, 2021 16:29

They will decide. I hope for a final European Tour 22.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 25, 2021 16:52

Fan Since 1964
I'm so saddened by Charlie Watts passing away and feel empty inside.
To me Charlie were the glue that made the Stones stick together for all those years. The Wembley whammer had a lot of influence on the bands work, Not only musically but also took great part in designing stages for tours.

Now when the backbone of the Stones no longer can take part of the bands future work then it's time to ask then question if the Stones should stop rolling or not.

I myself think it's time to do so. The feeling is that they are no longer the Stones without Charlie. The sound and look isn't there anymore. So this leg of the "No Filter" - tour should be the last and should only performed to pay respects to Charlie and after the final note of the final song in the final concert the Stones should call it quits.

Next year it would have been 60 years of relentless and enduring rock and roll worth celebrating. But celebrating 60 years without Charlie is so sad.

I remember the words that Ronnie Woods said in a video by the Stones: "Charlie is the engine and we don't go anywhere without the engine". Words that should speak loudly in the near future.

Now one might say that Charlie in his manner as a person would like the Stones to carry on. He never thought of himself as the best drummer. But we all think he is and many other musicians think so as well.

Charlie can't be replaced by anyone! So stop rolling after this tour.

Beautifully put. And I'm very pleased to see the overwhelming support for your posting. Some will argue that The Stones are a business corporation and should continue to function in the impersonal, business-oriented, detached way that all such organisations function. I really hope they don't. To do so would be to relegate one of their much beloved founder members to nothing more than a replaceable cog in a much more important wheel. That would be a pity, and would make many of us who have loved the band for almost sixty years feel quite irrelevant. We are not customers, consumers or punters, we are FANS. And our views should actually count for something rather than just being ignored.

There are many many ways the Rolling Stones business corporation can continue. Curating their music, preparing further archived material for future release, anniversary boxsets, and so on and so forth. There are so many things that have never been done with material still in the vaults, and now there is time to do it. There is no need for a VERSION of The Stones to go on the road, cranking out what will, inevitably, become perfunctory versions of their greatest hits to audiences who, in large part, care little for the band itself, or the human beings who created it. That would be awfully, awfully sad.

As Keith sings so movingly in a number that might have been written about yesterday's sad news 'This Place Is Empty'

Rest peacefully Charlie Watts. You are irreplaceable sir!

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: August 25, 2021 16:54

Let's make a few assumptions.
If Charlie was terminally ill and KNEW it, he may have said he wanted to tour to go on. He wanted it to go on for the crew , who need the income, the cities who need the tourist dollars and for the fans. We desperately need a Stones show, some fun.
He may have blessed the tour for the band. Get out there, stay busy, do what you do best.

Charlie asked Steve Jordan, because Steve Jordan is the only other drummer that Keith played with that had that "thing."
IF that is true, it shows how classy a man Charlie is.
He wanted the show to go on for noble reasons.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 25, 2021 16:57

Witness
Topi
Up to them to decide. Who am I to judge?

Exactly my attitude, too.

Exactly mine, too.

In the end, it's not our band and therefore not our decision. Publicly telling them what they should or shouldn't do is presumptuous imo.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 25, 2021 17:04

They have reached a point on which it is time retire.

Date: August 25, 2021 17:05

I commented on a fan forum on the band Rush yesterday, which I've been a part of for awhile, in regards to Charlie Watts and the future of The Rolling Stones.

Charlie Watts and Ginger Baker both survived to 80 years of age.

If you go to YouTube and type in 'Zildjan drummers awards / Ginger Baker Lifetime Achievement Highlights', there's a video from 2013 of Charlie Watts presenting Ginger Baker with a lifetime achievement award.

A personal milestone accomplishment is that Watts was the only member of the band to have been married the longest to his one and only spouse for 57 years.

I think Mick and Keith should do one last tour with Steve Jordan on drums as a tribute to Charlie Watts and then be done.

The Stones would've been together for 60 years since 1962.

Unless Mick and Keith decide to continue on and become Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend with backup musicians.

On a side note, Neil Peart of Rush passed on after the band finished their last recent tour of being a band for over 40 years.

Whereas Charlie Watts passed on just when The Stones are geared up to tour in the fall and perhaps beyond.

It's difficult to find an answer for this for the sake of all involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 17:08 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 25, 2021 17:16

Please leave this decision to Mick en Keith. We can not judge about this.
Personally I hope the will continue to honour Charlie on the upcoming US Tour (and on a few 60th anniversary shows next summer).

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: August 25, 2021 17:31

treaclefingers
ThePaleRider
terraplane

that's about as good a use of that poem as I've seen.

Exactly. If they want to play they're gonna play. If they're too tired or ill then they'll call it a day. You can't stop living just because someone you loved has died. Life is for the living.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 25, 2021 17:36

Let them decide. Queen still tours quitte succesfully without Freddy and John Deacon. I can imagine Jagger, Richards and Woody want to continue the legacy. I wouldn't blame them. For us core-fans, Charlie was the engine of the Stones. For most people, the Stones are mainly Mick & Keith...

My thoughts: Finish the tour as planned with Steve Jordan, do a couple of farewell shows in Europe next year (i'll be there), release the nearly finished new album in honour of Charlie and then pull the plug. I don't want to see my band end up like some kind of knockout race.

They can still release anniversary projects like the new Tattoo You album or the 'from the vault'. Just no touring..

But as I started, let them decide...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 25, 2021 17:50

I guess at this point Blue and Lonesome was the last great Stones album. Charlie wasn't the 'Wembley Whammer,' but it was mature Charlie, which was great. We've had more than our fill. The grapes have been wrung dry. It was barely the Stones after Bill left. I'm not sure what one more Greatest Hits tour would accomplish. They didn't make it to Sixty. After all they've given us, so what? No band gave as much to their fans. This is a mortal blow. No ersatz rhythm section is going to mask that. The Who can advertise themselves as such, but that's not the Who up there on stage.

Whatever the Rolling Stones corporation feels it must do, more power to them. And good luck to Steve Jordan, who is in a tough spot. Most 'fans' probably won't notice the difference. I'm much more than happy with the lifetime of music the Stones gave me and their many millions of fans. Rest in Peace, the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 25, 2021 17:58

the time has arrived to call it a day. they have given us everything. have to imagine that the loss of charlie ends the obligation the band had to do this tour. as a long time fan it seemed it was business pressures that extorted mick to fulfill these dates. no charlie means no stones. why "fans" cannot respect that position is beyond me.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 25, 2021 18:03

Rediculous to do this tour and jump around like happy fools.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home