Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24
Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 12:39

I'm so saddened by Charlie Watts passing away and feel empty inside.
To me Charlie were the glue that made the Stones stick together for all those years. The Wembley whammer had a lot of influence on the bands work, Not only musically but also took great part in designing stages for tours.

Now when the backbone of the Stones no longer can take part of the bands future work then it's time to ask then question if the Stones should stop rolling or not.

I myself think it's time to do so. The feeling is that they are no longer the Stones without Charlie. The sound and look isn't there anymore. So this leg of the "No Filter" - tour should be the last and should only performed to pay respects to Charlie and after the final note of the final song in the final concert the Stones should call it quits.

Next year it would have been 60 years of relentless and enduring rock and roll worth celebrating. But celebrating 60 years without Charlie is so sad.

I remember the words that Ronnie Woods said in a video by the Stones: "Charlie is the engine and we don't go anywhere without the engine". Words that should speak loudly in the near future.

Now one might say that Charlie in his manner as a person would like the Stones to carry on. He never thought of himself as the best drummer. But we all think he is and many other musicians think so as well.

Charlie can't be replaced by anyone! So stop rolling after this tour.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 14:18 by Fan Since 1964.

Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 12:41

Agree

Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 25, 2021 12:53

Agree.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: August 25, 2021 12:56

You're confusing emotion and feelings with the motivation behind running an enormous corporate business like the Rolling Stones who employs hundreds of people. Do not underestimate Jagger's ability to separate emotion from business. If the remaining members are able to tour and make millions they will do so. Steve Jordan is the new drummer of The Rolling Stones now. They will tour and continue with this lineup, any new studio releases will feature parts Charlie recorded before his passing and will be complimented by session players in the studio.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 12:58

You might be right about Jagger, but I doubt it about Keith (and Ronnie actually).

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 25, 2021 12:59

Going on or not, I’d rather like to respect their will than fans’ sentiment.

Personally hope to see the band celebrate the 60th anniversary next year no matter what — but it all depends on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 13:03 by RisingStone.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:02

Time or no time, it's over. Our band is no more.
The Rolling Stones are history.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:07

I can only state my opinion. Do this US Tour in Charlie’s honour and then maybe a single indoor show in London early next year - After that, call it quits.
The US Tour is unfinished business from last year. They’ll be able to honour CW there.
And then a London show to get a proper ending.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:11

It's time to call it a day in honor of the Engine and the beat of the Stones Mr. Charlie Watts .

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:17

This US fall tour does not feel right to me, though I'd understand if they maintained it. But this is no longer the Rolling Stones.

I do feel like they should have a big send-off in London next year. Have plenty of guests over, pay tribute to Charlie, and call it a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 13:18 by Pie1.

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:18

Do bands of any success actually formally split these days? The last i recall was REM.
The Stones may decide to not tour for the foreseeable, but splitting/retiring will not happen.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:25

They must go on.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:25

Up to them to decide. Who am I to judge?

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:27

A last European Tour next spring as a Charlie tribute with the new studio album with the Charlie's parte recorder in the last 5 years and then Stop...

Posted by: Hopiman ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:30

mailexile67
A last European Tour next spring as a Charlie tribute with the new studio album with the Charlie's parte recorder in the last 5 years and then Stop...

that's what they should do.
It would surprise me if they would continue after that.
The Stones stopped rolling yesterday.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:31

mailexile67

thumbs up

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:34

To fulfil their obligations and to honour CW, they will do the upcoming US tour and hopefully to close all off, next year Europe.

Hendrik Mulder

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:35

Let Mick and Keith decide. I won't judge them for whatever decision they are going to make. Only Mick and Keith know.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:36

Topi
Up to them to decide. Who am I to judge?

Exactly my attitude, too.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:37

As fans (lifelong in many cases ] we will all have our own genuine sentiments ...

...but it's maybe not for us to tell the remaining members of the Stones how they should react to the death of a close friend and colleague of sixty years.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:47

Charlie was the heart and soul of the band.Without him they are no longer the Stones IMO.But with the general public I think Jagger is the only irreplaceable Stone. If Mick had left the band for whatever reason it could not continue commercially as the Stones.It would be the New Barbarians.But if Keith left and you still had Mick and Wood Charlie and added a Mick Taylor you could maybe sell that commercially as the Stones.But no Keith no Stones artistically I would be sad to see a concert without Charlie.No joy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 13:50 by Taylor1.

Date: August 25, 2021 13:47

No Charlie, no Stones ! RIP Charlie !

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:48

JumpingKentFlash
I can only state my opinion. Do this US Tour in Charlie’s honour and then maybe a single indoor show in London early next year - After that, call it quits.
The US Tour is unfinished business from last year. They’ll be able to honour CW there.

A last single show with all the top drummers for just one song : Ringo Starr, Dave Grohl, Jason Bonham, Nick Mason, Lars Ulrich, Phil Rudd, Stewart Copeland, Zak Starkey, Larry Mullen...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 13:48 by Massimo68.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:49

Child of the moon
No Charlie, no Stones ! RIP Charlie !

Exactly

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 25, 2021 13:56

The painful emotions in facing the end of the Stones are something I would not like to experience again. I think now is the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 13:58 by steffialicia.

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: August 25, 2021 14:10

See Keith on Twitter. Closed...
This place is empty...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 25, 2021 14:10

it's time

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 14:11

Well I guess that's one way to look at it.
Personally I never wanted to see the Stones as corporate unit.
And seriously the band have earned enough dollars in the name of The Rolling Stones and now when the backbone of the band is not there anymore they should consider to do this last leg in honour of Charlie and then next year do a gig London in Hyde Park as a farewell.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: August 25, 2021 14:14

JumpingKentFlash

Yes, that seems the best way to do it.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 14:24

No Charlie No Stones sad smiley

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home