Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Chuck Berry "fired" drummer during show in germany
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 9, 2008 19:02

what a guy

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 9, 2008 19:08

Welcome to the IORR news Dept. where the motto is"if it's news it's news to us".

Re: Chuck Berry
Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: March 9, 2008 19:23

with sssoul
>> one time he gave Keith Richards a black eye when Keith went up on stage to jam and Chuck didn't recognized him. <<

the Department of Historical Accuracy is pleased to have this opportunity to note
that that statement conflates two different stories: Chuck threw Keith offstage in 1972 for playing too loud;
it was a different occasion when he punched him in the face backstage after some gig
(and yeah, he apologized to Ronnie afterwards). on yet another occasion (in 1983 i believe)
Chuck set Keith on fire - just a little, but still!

What, really? I knew the thing wiht the punch and that he later apologized to Woody for it, however, I've never heard of Chuck throwing keith off the stage nor setting him on fire. *lol*
Excuse me while I laugh, it just soudns so absurd. *lol* grinning smiley I'm just picturing Chuck setting Keith on fire and can't help finding it hilarious.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 9, 2008 19:25

>>. on yet another occasion (in 1983 i believe)
Chuck set Keith on fire - just a little, but still!<<

err, what? I missed that one - can you elaborate, please?

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 9, 2008 19:27

After seeing one of his sloppy debacles in DC six or seven years ago, I wouldn't pay a dime to see Chuck Berry again.

If you feel compelled to give the man your money, pick up the new four-disc set of his complete '50's recordings. He certainly earns it there.

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: March 9, 2008 20:12

I plan to go to the amsterdam concert with Billy Wyman and Mick Taylor playing together with Chuck Berry, but after reading this news I really hope that he will not repeat this behavior with this great "backing" band.
This will be my first "Chuck Berry experience" (and I hope not to post something similar as baxlap (... would'nt pay a dime to see Chuck Berry again ...), but I know what's all circulating about Chuck and that he is a difficult character, nevertheless he created great music.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: March 9, 2008 20:28

T&A
love it! Good ol' Chuck is still fiesty at 79....

Chuck is actually 81

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 9, 2008 20:40

but this thread started in 2005!

meanwhile ... thanks for the interest in the setting-Keith-on-fire incident! like i said
i think it was in 1983, when Keith was on his way to or from that Jerry Lee Lewis tribute show,
and he and Chuck crossed paths at an airport. Chuck dropped a lighted match down Keith's shirt
(or maybe a lit cigarette) and although it probably wasn't deliberate ... it is ... striking, isn't it. :E

the time he threw him off stage in 1972 was at the Hollywood Palladium, and it's what Keith is referring to
during his 1988 Winos show there, when he says: "a stage i've been thrown off of many times."
i have a photo of the occasion, but Keith looks so sorrowful that it breaks my heart to post it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-09 20:42 by with sssoul.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 9, 2008 20:46

He has always been a bit of an ornery bastard. Last time I saw him was in front of the US Capitol Building, fronting "the mall" which goes all the way down to the Lincoln Memorial.

4th of July, 2003, was nationally broadcast along with (the Motown singer who plays R-E-S-P-E-C-T, jesus, what's wrong with me, help me out without insulting me here) and the National Symphony Orchestra. He only played about 3 or 4 songs, but he sounded fine.

He was also the very first rock n roll concert I ever attended, in Aug 74 at the Monterey County Fairgounds -- how approp, a legend playing in a legendary venue.

plexi

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: March 9, 2008 20:51

with sssoul

meanwhile ... thanks for the interest in the setting-Keith-on-fire incident! like i said
i think it was in 1983, when Keith was on his way to or from that Jerry Lee Lewis tribute show,
and he and Chuck crossed paths at an airport. Chuck dropped a lighted match down Keith's shirt
(or maybe a lit cigarette) and although it probably wasn't deliberate ... it is ... striking, isn't it. :E

the time he threw him off stage in 1972 was at the Hollywood Palladium, and it's what Keith is referring to
during his 1988 Winos show there, when he says: "a stage i've been thrown off of many times."
i have a photo of the occasion, but Keith looks so sorrowful that it breaks my heart to post it.

Hmm..very interesting indeed!
So, maybe you just want to give us a link, so you don't have to post the photo straight away? I'd so love to see it (even though Keith might look 'sorrowful', shame be on me! *sigh*)

I don't think he dropped a cigarette or whatever it was deliberately on Keith, really. I mean, noone who has at least a bit of his mind left would do that. Or would they?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 9, 2008 20:59

Yeah, sssoul, it may not be a pretty picture, but it is still a part of history that most Stones and especially Keith fans might like to see.
I'd like to see it as well.

Re: Chuck Berry - Keith Richards relationship illustrated ...
Date: March 9, 2008 21:19

>> Or would they? <<

well, Chuck Berry did! make of it what you will. and i'm trying to get those sorrowful photos uploaded -
i knew you folks wouldn't let me get away with not posting them. :E
but don't blame me if they make you cry and/or haunt you ... Keith being kicked out by his hero ... *sniff!*

here's the one where Keith is just starting to realize not all is well on Planet Berry:

- Hollywood Palladium, january 21st 1972, courtesy of Michael Ochs Archives & Johnny Harris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-09 21:25 by with sssoul.

Date: March 9, 2008 21:29

and here's the tragic moment ... i hate seeing Keith so crestfallen, i truly do!
i know he got over it, but still! *sniff!*

- Hollywood Palladium, january 21st 1972, courtesy of Michael Ochs Archives & BrownEyedGirll

oh for the record: Chuck did say later that he didn't recognize Keith, and that when his manager told him
(during the show) who he'd just kicked offstage he says he wanted to invite him back, but Keith had left.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2008 21:35

Many thanks for posting those photos, with Sssoul ! Keith's looking crushed; that's true

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 9, 2008 21:39

timbernardis
He has always been a bit of an ornery bastard. Last time I saw him was in front of the US Capitol Building, fronting "the mall" which goes all the way down to the Lincoln Memorial.

4th of July, 2003, was nationally broadcast along with (the Motown singer who plays R-E-S-P-E-C-T, jesus, what's wrong with me, help me out without insulting me here) and the National Symphony Orchestra. He only played about 3 or 4 songs, but he sounded fine.

He was also the very first rock n roll concert I ever attended, in Aug 74 at the Monterey County Fairgounds -- how approp, a legend playing in a legendary venue.

plexi

Is that Aretha Franklin you are thinking of plexi?

Date: March 9, 2008 21:50

Thank you with sssoul!

Has it ever been discussed as to exactly why Keith was booted off?
If Chuck truly did not recognize Keith, then I'm assuming that Keith just walked on and Chuck had a problem with that?

Date: March 9, 2008 21:56

>> Has it ever been discussed as to exactly why Keith was booted off? <<

the reason that's always given is that Keith was playing too loud for Chuck's tastes.
obviously someone invited Keith on stage - which is the odd part of Chuck's version of the story, of course.
Keith's said he didn't mean to be too loud - he was just using the amp he'd been offered.
it's possible of course that any volume would've been deemed "too loud".

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 9, 2008 22:33

sweetcharmedlife
timbernardis

plexi

Is that Aretha Franklin you are thinking of plexi?

I believe so.

Date: March 9, 2008 23:15

with sssoul
and here's the tragic moment ... i hate seeing Keith so crestfallen, i truly do!
i know he got over it, but still! *sniff!*

oh for the record: Chuck did say later that he didn't recognize Keith, and that when his manager told him
(during the show) who he'd just kicked offstage he says he wanted to invite him back, but Keith had left.

He didn't recognize him? poor Keith was already wearing a tongue T-shirt and a tongue patch on his jacket.

how is it with Chuck's eye-sight?

Date: March 9, 2008 23:58

When did Chuck & Keith first meet face-to-face?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 10, 2008 00:20

Leonard Keringer
Chuck's one of the original "punks"

Bullcrap! Phil Collins was THE ORIGINAL PUNK. Phil was the first to wear sneakers with a sport jacket.

Re: Chuck Berry - Keith Richards relationship
Date: March 10, 2008 00:23

>> When did Chuck & Keith first meet face-to-face? <<

in 64 the Stones went to a Chuck Gig in the UK and wanted to introduce themselves; Chuck snubbed them totally.
they also met at some hotel somewhere, and two of them (Charlie and Mick? maybe) found themselves
in the same elevator with him, and he snubbed them totally again.
then when they were recording at Chess Studios in june 64 Chuck dropped in.
Bill relates that they were recording Down the Road Apiece, and Chuck said -
as well he might hearing that immortal track - "swing on gentlemen, you are sounding most well if i may say so"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-10 00:25 by with sssoul.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 10, 2008 00:44

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, is the 23rd at the Marquee such a good idea after all? G U L P.

SD

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:11

<<i think it was in 1983, when Keith was on his way to or from that Jerry Lee Lewis tribute show,
(or maybe a lit cigarette)>>

Yes it was to/from that Jerry Lee tribute. The way I remember the story; it was a lit cigarette.

BTW I remember reading something like that Chuck kept calling Keith 'Jack'. Anyone knows the story behind this?

Date: March 10, 2008 02:20

trainarollin
Leonard Keringer
Chuck's one of the original "punks"

Bullcrap! Phil Collins was THE ORIGINAL PUNK. Phil was the first to wear sneakers with a sport jacket.

Hey Train, you just quoted a guy that hasn't been seen here in ages!

Date: March 10, 2008 02:26

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 10, 2008 11:55

melillo
how can u spend money to see this guy, hasnt written a song in 40 years, shows up with no band and expects the house band to know his songs, wtf, and then has the nerve to act like he is the victim, what a disgrace of a person, only plays an hour and charges a ridiculous sum of money to boot, i would get my money back too, you call that being cool, i call it being a miserable old frustrated fool

I happily spend my money to see him next week in Amsterdam. Maybe it will be a bad show, maybe it will be good. For certain it will not be a polished product rolling from the conveyor belt.

And of course Bill and his Rythm Kings (with Mick T) will be there as well. I am looking forward to a great evening.

Re: Chuck Berry - Keith Richards relationship
Date: March 10, 2008 12:11

>> BTW I remember reading something like that Chuck kept calling Keith 'Jack'.
Anyone knows the story behind this? <<

yeah, Keith mentions that in some interview somewhere about Hail Hail Rock & Roll, and it's in the film:
"you sure know some pretty chords, Jack!" i think it's just a "regional hipster" thing -
i know a bunch of people who routinely use "Jack" as a generic form for addressing males,
like "mate" or "pal". that song Hit the Road Jack uses it that way, for one famous instance.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 10, 2008 15:08

Better watch 'Hail Hail' again. Thanks with sssoul.

Posted by: allaboard70 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 22:14

There is a lot of stories about rock musicans, not just about Chuck, and it is a lot of humor in many (most) of this stories. What I don't like is when people build up a feeling about an artist on stories with often a lot of extras (adds). What we have to do is to see the total impact from an artist, for exemple the legends Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis or Chuck Berry. I know they not is 100 % perfect in every show, but I have seen them so many times under the 80's, 90's and recent 2007 (14 shows with Chuck in Scandinavia 2007).

Of course Chuck isn't the guitar player he was back in years, but still very nice to listen too. And he is singing very, very good. When rock'n'roll come up in the 50's a show was just 2 songs per artist, sometimes 20 minutes. It was much later artists like Stones and Springsteen started up with 3 hours concerts. From the 80's and up to now a Chuck Berry show is one hour and I think it is very okej. In the last medly Reelin' and Rockin'/ House Lights, all is perfect and everybody is happy when he left the stage and drive away with his Mercedes. It is very good for an artist who is 81 and have toured around the world since 1955.

I can't wait for next Chuck Berry show in Sweden. Let It Rock!

Johan smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home