Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: March 19, 2022 00:48

I’m another that said no Charlie then no Stones.

But if Charlie said to the other Stones that the show must go on without him then maybe that extends to us fans?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 19, 2022 00:51

They should go on as long as possible, before we'll only be able to see Stones tribute bands and hologram shows..

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 19, 2022 00:55

Scooby

But if Charlie said to the other Stones that the show must go on without him then maybe that extends to us fans?

It's more or less your personal decision whether you continue as a fan without Charlie. Looks like the new Studio-Album will also have Tracks with Steve Jordan on drums.

Date: March 21, 2022 21:51

Rip Charlie †

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 21, 2022 21:57

What if Charlie actually said the show must stop and Mick & Keith are just making it up to have an excuse to keep touring and to make a profit of Charlie's legacy?

Posted by: ronniewoody91 ()
Date: March 21, 2022 22:02

NilsHolgersson
They should go on as long as possible, before we'll only be able to see Stones tribute bands and hologram shows..

tbh I wouldn't mind seeing hologram shows of them in the 70s since I wasn't alive then xD grinning smiley it's the only way I could ever see them "live" and not just on DVD without a time machine...I'd so love to see the show they played at the Marquee in 1971...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 22, 2022 03:14

I believe Charlie told them to continue if they wanted to because why would Charlie have told them to stop. Charlie was not selfish and self-centered as much as one can know.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 22, 2022 03:34

NilsHolgersson
What if Charlie actually said the show must stop and Mick & Keith are just making it up to have an excuse to keep touring and to make a profit of Charlie's legacy?

What if Charlie actually said the opposite though?
Of course he would want the band to go on. Assuming this isn't sarcasm, quite a repulsive thing to imply.

Love this interview with Charlie.

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts on live plans, a new album and the end of the band

Posted by: PatrickS77 ()
Date: March 22, 2022 13:15

NilsHolgersson

Well. Then he's an idiot. And selfish. He's dead. Why would he care? Why would anyone demand others to stop doing what they love, because he knows that he will die?? Makes no sense.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2022 04:12

Glad to see the Charlie tribute is still present for this tour - opening night in Madrid:

(screenshot from youtube video courtesy of EdBmusic).

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 2, 2022 07:11

Yes, I’m glad to see the tribute continuing - very appropriate. It certainly shouldn’t stop with last year’s U.S. tour - Charlie has many fans all around the world.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 2, 2022 08:56

It shows a complete lack of understanding of the Stones to think Charlie would ever in a million years want them to stop when he was gone.
Part of being a fan is knowing the nod and wink that that goes along with much of what they say.
Charlie’s attitude was always tongue in cheek,”I’d rather be home”but let me help design the stage, the artwork for the t-shirts and go out there and kill it every night with a smile on my face.
As a writer once said “ with all his insincerity what Jagger is hiding is his absolute sincerity”
Think of the effort we put into being fans then imagine the effort it takes to BE the Stones. The band was and is everything to them.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: June 2, 2022 08:58

Happy heavenly birthday Charlie, we miss you!

Posted by: DocChill ()
Date: June 2, 2022 10:11

Don McAulay, Charlie Watt’s drum tech for ten years, pays tribute to Charlie for his birthday, placing his drum key where Charlie always would before... love it!

video: [www.facebook.com]

Happy birthday Charlie, we'll never forget you smiling smiley!

Date: June 2, 2022 10:55

DocChill

Don McAulay - Charlie Watt’s drum tech for ten years pays tribute to Charlie for his birthday, placing his drum key where Charlie always would before each show.

By The Rolling Stones - [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] .

Date: June 2, 2022 11:00

81st Birthday of Charlie - you'll be unforgotten ....

(Show-Intro Madrid 1-Jun-2022)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2022 11:16

Thanks for posting that photo Irix - thumbs up - much better than the screenshot I posted earlier.

Thinking of Charlie on his birthday, and still missing him - he'll always be remembered.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 2, 2022 11:52

lem motlow
It shows a complete lack of understanding of the Stones to think Charlie would ever in a million years want them to stop when he was gone.
Part of being a fan is knowing the nod and wink that that goes along with much of what they say.
Charlie’s attitude was always tongue in cheek,”I’d rather be home”but let me help design the stage, the artwork for the t-shirts and go out there and kill it every night with a smile on my face.
As a writer once said “ with all his insincerity what Jagger is hiding is his absolute sincerity”
Think of the effort we put into being fans then imagine the effort it takes to BE the Stones. The band was and is everything to them.

I so agree with this. They can't stop themselves.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:00

"Charlie just got hit with a double-whammy" :

On 13-Mar-2022 Keith said in CBS Sunday Morning - [www.YouTube.com] , (Pos. 2m:55s) - that Charlie "just got hit with a double-whammy" and talked only about cancer.

In a short interview with Chuck Leavell, broadcasted in 'Scala' on 27-Jul-2022 by German radio station WDR5 - [www1.WDR.de] - Chuck mentions Charlie's heart-surgery (Pos. 2m:03s) and that everyone expected Charlie to fully recover from this.

Charlie was 9 weeks in the Hospital according to Dave Green - [www.TheGuardian.com] - but passed away suddenly & unexpected. The treatment of cancer and the heart-surgery might be what Keith meant with "double-whammy".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-24 21:55 by Irix.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 29, 2022 02:56

Irix
"Charlie just got hit with the double whammy" :

On 13-Mar-2022 Keith said in 'CBS Sunday Morning' - [www.YouTube.com] , (Pos. 2m:55s) - that Charlie "just got hit with the double whammy" and talked only about cancer.

In a short interview with Chuck Leavell, broadcasted in 'Scala' on 27-Jul-2022 by German radio-station WDR5 - [www1.WDR.de] - Chuck mentions Charlie's heart surgery (Pos. 2m:03s) and that everyone expected Charlie to fully recover from this.

Charlie was 9 weeks in the Hospital according to Dave Green - [www.TheGuardian.com] - but passed away suddenly & unexpected. The treatment of cancer and the heart-surgery might be what Keith meant with "double whammy".

Thanks for this.

Glad everyone was able to to keep his hospitalization and nature of hs illness(es) private.
Charlie and his family earned and deserved that.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 29, 2022 03:27

knowing this helps a little bit, especially since we are all so powerless to do anything about this loss. 'blue and lonesome' was so powerful and has such a razor's edge. it just proves the stones were still on the cutting edge and could deliver the goods as well as any year, 1968,1981,2002, whatever. it would have been heaven if they just went into the studio for a few weeks here and there and see what gets blistered onto the tape.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 29, 2022 03:55

Every time I see this thread pop up I remember that terrible day.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 29, 2022 06:28

sundevil
knowing this helps a little bit, especially since we are all so powerless to do anything about this loss. 'blue and lonesome' was so powerful and has such a razor's edge. it just proves the stones were still on the cutting edge and could deliver the goods as well as any year, 1968,1981,2002, whatever. it would have been heaven if they just went into the studio for a few weeks here and there and see what gets blistered onto the tape.

Your "powerless" quip aside, this is what Charlie had to say about the supposed new album:

Charlie Watts (November 2016): Recording a new album

We started (making a new album when we recorded the blues covers) and then we went back in recently, doing some new stuff. I don't know how long that's going to take.

Charlie Watts (April 25, 2017): The Rolling Stones' next album

We've been in the studio since (recording Blue & Lonesome), doing the rest of this (new) album.

Charlie Watts (February 2018): The new album

When we did the blues album Blue and Lonesome, that was in the middle of the second lot of sessions for the album. We’ve done another lot since then. So we’ve done three or four sets of sessions. But I don’t write the songs so I don’t have the final say. Once we’ve played them I’m not interested really (laughs). But Mick has to live with them and put his voice on them. Keith will sit for hours listening. I don’t know where we are with them to be honest. Every time we go in to the studio I think, Well that was the one. But it’s whether they’re happy with it and I don’t know if they are yet.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 10:39

Watching old live shows I miss the banter Keith or mick will have with Charlie you'll just see him laughing then get serious when it comes to playing he was so cool

Date: July 29, 2022 12:07

Last week I heard "Paint it Black " on a radio station in my car.
I played it very loud. Charlie Watts is unique I told myself. The ultimate rockdrummer.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 29, 2022 12:41

philrock90
Watching old live shows I miss the banter Keith or mick will have with Charlie you'll just see him laughing then get serious when it comes to playing he was so cool

I miss the way Mick talking to the crowd was never a solo: nearly always Charlie joining in, chatting away on his drums.

And no, Paint It Black doesn't work without him. Don't know why, it just doesn't.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 29, 2022 12:46

Green Lady
philrock90

I miss the way Mick talking to the crowd was never a solo: nearly always Charlie joining in, chatting away on his drums.

And no, Paint It Black doesn't work without him. Don't know why, it just doesn't.

You are absoultely right, talk about "not being a showman"

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 29, 2022 16:40

Steve is a good drummer no doubt but I miss Charlie all the time. It was more than his talent. He was the perfect foil to the personalities of the others.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 29, 2022 17:17

steffialicia
Steve is a good drummer no doubt but I miss Charlie all the time. It was more than his talent. He was the perfect foil to the personalities of the others.

I always loved how miserable he was being forced to leave his drums and take a bow during intros - as you say, the perfect foil to the show-boating of the others.

Date: August 5, 2022 13:21

Time flies: one year ago, on 5-Aug-2021, the Rolling Stones announced that Charlie will be unavailable for the 2021 US-Tour - [Twitter.com] .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home