Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950Next
Current Page: 49 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: Oriongalaxy ()
Date: August 24, 2022 11:58

The worst day of my life. a year ago I thought I will never see them anymore.
Pray for Charlie today...

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 24, 2022 12:34

I'm sad .... It's not the same without Charlie

Posted by: jana ()
Date: August 24, 2022 13:19

I remember quite exactly how I found out. It was quite odd, as the whole situation was... I just got back home (Prague, Czechia) from Italy, I was sitting in an Indian restaurant, just casually eating my butter chicken, when a girl from the table next to me answered a phone call and froze. Her friends asked her what happened and she said that Charlie Watts from the Rolling Stones died. She looked quite sad, her friends didn't understand why she even cared, but she seemed to shake it off and continued in a conversation. I, on the other hand, was still frozen. I checked the news and there it was. I started crying, left, and was driving around the city, listening to Stones, and with every drum beat, I couldn't help but sob. That lasted for about a week... What a sad, sad anniversary, but I'm happy that we got to know him and that I got to see him live so many times. smiling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 24, 2022 13:30

jana
I remember quite exactly how I found out. It was quite odd, as the whole situation was... I just got back home (Prague, Czechia) from Italy, I was sitting in an Indian restaurant, just casually eating my butter chicken, when a girl from the table next to me answered a phone call and froze. Her friends asked her what happened and she said that Charlie Watts from the Rolling Stones died. smiling smiley

I had a similar experience once. I was on a train with work colleagues travelling to a meeting in London. Someone sitting opposite me was reading a newspaper. They picked it up to turn the pages, revealing the Obituary notice of a good friend of mine. Weird indeed.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: August 24, 2022 13:48

In 2014, June 19th, I saw the Stones for the last time. My seventh concert since 1990.

I planned to take my friend Ludger to the concert. He was a huge fan, but had never seen them so far. And he had little time: a few days before his wife gave birth to their first child!!

Luckily he made it to the concert!

The Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf was fully packed. And our boys delivered a stunning performance!
The whole concert was an amazing experience. Ludger was mesmerized!!

On the big screen we saw Charlie only from one angle; the camera must have been right in front of him, very close. That was very intense and he seemed to be VERY focused!!

After the concert we walked with the masses to the parking zone.

And Ludger said: “I´ll never forget “June 2014“! I became father for the first time and I saw the Stones for the first time!“

What a statement!!!

Last year I knew, they would tour the US with Steve Jordan because of Charlie´s illness.

On August 24th it was Ludger, who called me. “We´ll never see the old line up again!“, he said.

I was shocked. Devastated. One of the greatest drummers was gone, member of the greatest band on earth. A true gentleman. And maybe one of the most unique personalites in Rock Music.

Today, Ludger´s quote of 2014 comes to my mind. Birth and death, they are part of our lives.

Priest

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 24, 2022 14:38

Remembering Charlie today - I may watch the episode focussing on him in the recent 60th anniversary series on BBC iPlayer again tonight. Blessings to Shirley and his family.

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: August 24, 2022 14:59

It was such a terrible day which started off so nicely. I was sitting on a beach north of Boston and a friend sent me a text telling me the news. I was so shocked and saddened. Glad I had sunglasses on. It had been fun knowing the other Stones were in the area for their rehearsals but when I heard about Charlie I wanted to drive into Boston or Everett and give the Stones an air hug or something. Rest In Peace Charlie xo

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 24, 2022 15:24

Really nice tribute video posted by Mick.
First thing I saw when I logged on today.. brought it all back.

RIP Charlie.

Thinking of Charlie today
[twitter.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 24, 2022 15:25

Hard to believe it's a year ago Dear Charlie passed away.

I will watch the Charlie documentary on BBC i-player tonight. thumbs up

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: August 24, 2022 19:31

Charlie and Me
Robin Eileen Bernstein, "a 62-year-old mom who’s been playing drums for nearly five decades," pays homage to the Rolling Stone who inspired her to become a time-keeper as a teen.

Nice read -

[oldster.substack.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 24, 2022 19:45

The Rolling Stones: "One year on without our beloved Charlie. Remembering him and all the incredible things he achieved in his life."

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: August 24, 2022 20:21

Missed but not forgotten

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 24, 2022 20:59

Irix
The Rolling Stones: "One year on without our beloved Charlie. Remembering him and all the incredible things he achieved in his life."

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

What a great song choice for this video!! Voodoo is the showcase of Charlie's talent. His drums just burst out of the speakers!!!

I was driving back from running errands when I saw the text from my youngest asking if I'd heard the news. I was absolutely gutted, as if I'd just lost my non-existent brother. My now ex-wife had no idea or understanding as to why I was in such a state.....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 24, 2022 22:20

Thinking of you Charlie - thanks for the brilliant drumming.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: August 25, 2022 00:10

I was in the car and the sister in law casually said that her son had text her to say Charlie had passes away.

Not really the way I wanted to hear this so sad news, I wanted to stop the car and get out and point to the sky and send my respects.

Needless to say I played Stones songs all night.

RIP Charlie, miss you so much.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 25, 2022 00:21

What a great man!!!
Lots of love to his family, friends, members of the band and to all the community of RS fans

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2022 00:33

Found out early morning here on IORR
Phone & texts ran hot all day ....

Late afternoon clipped gate that
swung around in heavy winds at ladies property

When she came out I mentioned that I'd grazed the gate...

First thing she said to me was -- Do you know we have lost Charlie ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 25, 2022 00:55

I was on IORR and discovered the news. It must have been a very short time since
the news hit as there were only a few posts. About the same time my Cousin’s husband texted me with the news. After this I reached out to several of my Stones
friends. Awful day…but fortunately there were others, who felt the same, to speak with and share the shock. Charlie was a fine man and a great role model. He treated all with respect - both celebrities and fans alike. His musical talent is
undisputed…

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 25, 2022 01:18

I will forever miss Charlie.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 25, 2022 02:53

By virtue of just how different he was from the other Stones, Charlie made the band an order of magnitude more fascinating that it ever would have been without him.

Miss you, Charlie sad smiley

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 25, 2022 11:06

Lady Jayne
Remembering Charlie today - I may watch the episode focussing on him in the recent 60th anniversary series on BBC iPlayer again tonight. Blessings to Shirley and his family.

That's exactly what I did last night. Sort of reminiscence to Charlie ... it's still heartbreaking to me he's passed.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 25, 2022 13:27

I'll raise a glass (or two) in his memory tonight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-25 14:26 by Topi.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 25, 2022 15:34

Props to Steve but our darling Charlie is irreplaceable for his technique and so much more.

Date: August 25, 2022 19:19

I was listening to a bunch of Charlie's jazz albums yday, and I came across these two listings on Wki:

The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie – The Magic of Boogie Woogie (2010, Vagabond Records)
The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie – Live in Paris (2012, Eagle Records)

Are these two separate releases, or just the same release under different names in different parts of the world?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 25, 2022 19:43

VoodooLounge13
I was listening to a bunch of Charlie's jazz albums yday, and I came across these two listings on Wki:

The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie – The Magic of Boogie Woogie (2010, Vagabond Records)
The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie – Live in Paris (2012, Eagle Records)

Are these two separate releases, or just the same release under different names in different parts of the world?

These are two different recordings: The first was done with Zwingenberger, Watts and Green (The ABC) in a London studio, the second one is a live recording.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 25, 2022 20:05

VoodooLounge13

Two separate releases - [iorr.org] .

Date: August 26, 2022 03:37

Irix
VoodooLounge13

Two separate releases - [iorr.org] .

Great stuff, thanks!

Charlie means more to me than any woman I ever loved. Ever.
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 7, 2022 04:59

Watching Charlie and realizing he'll never come back. I miss him so dearly.

Re: Charlie means more to me than any woman I ever loved. Ever.
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 7, 2022 05:48

Its very sad when any of these legends die. I never knew any of them but I agree, they've been more a part of my life arguably than 90% of the people I see daily. I'll be a puddle when we lose the likes of McCartney, Dylan, Neil Young, Jagger, Richards, etc, just as I was to read the awful news about Charlie. I don't think a death had hurt me that much since Tom Petty.

Re: Charlie means more to me than any woman I ever loved. Ever.
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 7, 2022 05:59

I felt really bad when Charlie died for a myriad of reasons. I also realized that Charlie, his family, and the rest of the band had no clue who I was. While the outpouring of support from fans doubtless helps, it isn't the hole left in the lives of his wife, his daughter, his granddaughter, his friends. We're fans. Being sad, even shedding a tear because you've loved this band's music every day for decades is understandable. Behaving as if you were close to them, closer than real relationships in your life, that's something else altogether. It's more than a fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-07 06:00 by Rocky Dijon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950Next
Current Page: 49 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home