Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950Next
Current Page: 48 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 5, 2022 16:10

Lady Jayne
steffialicia
Steve is a good drummer no doubt but I miss Charlie all the time. It was more than his talent. He was the perfect foil to the personalities of the others.

I always loved how miserable he was being forced to leave his drums and take a bow during intros - as you say, the perfect foil to the show-boating of the others.

Exactly Lady Jayne.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2022 16:44

Irix
Time flies: one year ago, on 5-Aug-2021, the Rolling Stones announced that Charlie will be unavailable for the 2021 US-Tour - [Twitter.com] .

It was terrible news, especially for most who already had purchased tickets to see the Stones with Charlie, but of course the most devastating news was yet to come just a few weeks later........

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: August 5, 2022 17:37

I woke up a year ago today in the US with a text from my daughter in the UK sharing the announcement that Charlie couldn't make the tour. And my immediate response was oh no, this feels like Dusty Hill all over again. Then that changed to hope that maybe he'd make later dates, and then a few weeks later to complete shock...Can't believe it's almost been a year.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: August 5, 2022 20:23

I listened to Charlie 2010 on Spotify release today..
Maybe university of miami could do a tribute to Charlie
All out jazz night...
How could I pitch this idea
I believe before Cuba he attended a show at university of miami
I raise my glass to ....CHARLIE

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 5, 2022 20:43

Every time I see this post reappear in the feed it's like a metaphorical knife to the stomach. Such interesting, disparate individuals came together in the early 60s and exploded with something bigger than themselves as individuals. And it stayed that way for the next thirty years. Now that he's gone I do listen to his drum parts much more intently, just as I listened to Bill's parts after he left. I've watched a few Charlie interviews lately. He marveled at how quickly they took off.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 6, 2022 01:04

We all miss him still.
I noticed in the photos of the three taking their final bows at the end of Berlin, Ronnie was wearing a t shirt with a drawing of Charlie on it. I felt they were still keeping him with them.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 6, 2022 09:15

I’m still not over it, I’m not sure I’ll ever be.
I remember standing at the back of the pit in 19 and everyone was pushing toward the front and I said “ you all know what the Stones look like, how close do you need to be? As long as I can see Charlie fckn Watts I’m good” and a couple of people high five’d me.
I’ll never forget that, I’ll never forget him.

Posted by: jana ()
Date: August 6, 2022 19:32

I spent a good first half of SFM crying after the photo tribute at the beginning of the gig this tour… Man, will we ever forget him? Nope. So I just “coincidentally” started learning how to play the drums… cool smiley

The 24th & Charlie
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 21, 2022 19:12

Well it’s coming up, the one year anniversary of his death and a date I cannot forget as it is my birthday as well.. I had driven to the coast to celebrate at the beach and that morning my sister called I thought to say Happy Birthday but the first words out of her mouth were “Did you hear?”

It’s still a very touching day for me tho, and this week I will be celebrating my birthday and remembering Charlie at the beach again! I am grateful I’ve got to hear him live with the Stones and playing jazz, stood near him once (but didn’t speak with him as he was busy), and for all that he has contributed to my life!

Any memories of him or the 24th in particular I’d love to hear them from you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-21 19:15 by snoopy2.

Re: The 24th & Charlie
Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: August 21, 2022 19:31

I was getting ready to leave home to see Chrissie Hynde in concert, playing the songs of Bob Dylan. I got a text from a fellow Stones fan and friend which simply said: "Holy shit"....

I checked the sad news online then had to leave for the gig, feeling upset.
When Chrissie took to the stage, she said that she had just heard the news about her friend Charlie Watts. Said she'd do her best but could not be her usual jovial self in terms of between-song banter.

It was a very good gig but I felt a bit numb....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 21, 2022 19:44

On the evening on the 24th of August I was checking the news on the internet and read a headline: "Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has died in London" - for seconds I thought it was fake news. Then I went to another news site, just to read the same headline. I moved to IORR Tell me, two threads were already opened. I was shaking for a moment. The following days many thoughts about memories of Charlie Watts' went through my head. Wonderful tributes were paid to him, for example by Dave Green and Axel Zwingenberger. I still listen to his beats a lot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-21 19:47 by windmelody.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 21, 2022 20:35

Much like after Wyman left, I now listen more intently to what Charlie did on records, and live. Both were great artists who contributed the backbone of the Stones sound. No one else could recreate it.

Date: August 21, 2022 22:13

24FPS
Much like after Wyman left, I now listen more intently to what Charlie did on records, and live. Both were great artists who contributed the backbone of the Stones sound. No one else could recreate it.

I do same

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 21, 2022 22:26

i went to the library that day set up my laptop and went here to my favorite place online only to be greeted with the sad news

i wonder how many of us learned about it here on iorr?

now i never had the honor of meeting charlie but checking out iorr 20 years ago on the wayback machine i found a link to charliewattfanclub.com

and on that site there's a page called encounters with charlie

thought this be appropriate to share here

[web.archive.org]

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 22, 2022 12:04

It's also my birthday. I live in the Netherlands and it was late in the afternoon when the news got out. My girlfriend accompanied her 90 year old grandma to her taxi and on the way back to the house she checked her phone and scrolled through the headlines. She didn't take a house-key with her, so she rang our doorbell. When I opened the door, she asked me: "Did you hear about Charlie Watts?" He passed away...

It's hard to describe, but it really felt like a very good friend just died. I was glad that grandma was the last one to leave and that it took a few hours for the next batch of birthday visitors to arrive, So I had some time to let the sad news sink in, but logically I wasn't in the party-mood anymore...

Posted by: Oriongalaxy ()
Date: August 22, 2022 12:22

Charlie visited Poland for over 20 years, with his wife, they used to attend all 'Pride of Poland' to buy horses. They always stayed at the beautiful place called Zaborek near Janow Podlaski where horse auction took place.
If you want to know more (his favourite places around Zaborek, favourite food etc.) you should contact owners of Zaborek. They have plenty of wonderful stories to tell.

I was at home that day/ evening when heard the most sad news of my life. I cried like child....

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: August 22, 2022 12:36

I was travelling back by train from a work meeting and saw a push notification on my phone, it must have been around 5.30pm UK time.

I got a few strange looks from my fellow passengers when I said “Oh f!*@ not Charlie”. When I got home I logged on here and read the tributes all night.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 22, 2022 15:13

A friend called with the news. I burst into tears.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 22, 2022 15:18

I was asleep. Woke up at about 1.40am (?) thinking to myself “I have to look at IORR”… the news had broken about half hour before… I didn’t go back to sleep and the wife found me sobbing in the morning when she woke.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-22 15:18 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 22, 2022 15:26

Always in my Heart.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2022 21:50

It was a sad day.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 23, 2022 04:41

Found out here, went over to my barber shop that has a rock theme. Told my barber and she stopped cutting this guys hair and just froze. Surreal.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 23, 2022 16:53

I honestly don't even remember where I was or when/where I heard the news. It might have been on Facebook or on here.

My first thought, or one of them, was "oh my God, the illness was more serious than first reported".

Edit: just checked my FB Messenger messages from a year ago and it was a friend who told me the news on Tuesday night. My reaction to her message was:

"OMG really? I somehow feared the worst when they said he wouldn't be on the tour"

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-23 19:37 by Topi.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: August 23, 2022 19:26

One year now... Thanks Charlie for all those great memories, experiences and all your music!!!

Never forget.

Date: August 23, 2022 22:30

Always a pleasure to hear Charlie speak.

"I cannot follow Mick because he's all over the place".

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: August 24, 2022 00:05

The band without Charlie should be renamed “the Mick, Keith and Ron Band”, no longer “the Rolling Stones”.

Posted by: gagiwh ()
Date: August 24, 2022 00:23

Date: August 24, 2022 06:57

I appreciate all your stories.. Was on the beach tonight watching shooting stars, one for Charlie !

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: August 24, 2022 09:27

Rest in Peace Charlie, we love and miss you!

Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 24, 2022 09:38

Damn, I hate this day. Thinking about you Charlie. Rest in peace

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950Next
Current Page: 48 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home