Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 21, 2021 01:44

Departing from my normal guitar “programming,” here’s a little video essay making the case that Charlie Watts was NOT a minimalist:

[youtu.be]

Date: September 21, 2021 11:41

Nice to see Let Me Go mentioned. Brilliant indeed.

Good examples!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:59

Prior to last night, the previous time the Stones played a show without Charlie was on March 15, 1964 in Chatham. Micky Waller replaced him. Story has it Charlie couldn"t get back from a holiday on time due to bad weather.

[www.google.com]

[mobile.twitter.com]

[rocksoff.org]

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 17:04 by Topi.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 21, 2021 21:27

MelBelli
Departing from my normal guitar “programming,” here’s a little video essay making the case that Charlie Watts was NOT a minimalist:

[youtu.be]

great take, thanks. in my own way I posted something on my Insta about this way of celebrating Charlie through the "less is more" easy prop. Also quoted Questlove winking smiley
great to quote just post 78 examples
also in my insta pic i choose to include some Charlie's fav as Charlie Parker and the Mingus tribute with Keith produced by Wilner but also Bridges to Babylon, and for that reason...
completely second your perspective
thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 21:28 by maumau.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:06

Mick Jagger

"This is the first show of our 2021 tour. So this it… This a try-out .. for us.
I must say though, it’s a bit of a poigniant night for us. This is the first tour in fifty-nine years that we’ve done without our lovely Charlie Watts. And we all miss Charlie so much. We miss him as a band. We miss him as a friend. On and off the stage and we’ve got so many memories of Charlie and I’m sure some of you that have seen us before have got memories of Charlie as well.
And I hope you will remember him like we do. So we’d like to dedicate this show to Charlie.
So let’s have a drink! To Charlie!"

Mick Jagger
Boston, Sept. 20, 2021

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:52

maumau
MelBelli

[youtu.be]

great take, thanks. in my own way I posted something on my Insta about this way of celebrating Charlie through the "less is more" easy prop. Also quoted Questlove winking smiley
great to quote just post 78 examples
also in my insta pic i choose to include some Charlie's fav as Charlie Parker and the Mingus tribute with Keith produced by Wilner but also Bridges to Babylon, and for that reason...
completely second your perspective
thanks

Thanks!

I’m not on any of the socials … if you can post here, I’d love to see your Instagram story. Apologies if you’re already done so!

Date: September 21, 2021 23:13

well everything's in italian smiling smiley anyway

just a quote from Charlie (and Keith) from Ray Davies "movie" on the Mingus tribute

a bunch of records I have played to have a drink to charlie

and my last picture of charlie and the band in paris 2017

Bill shares a bit about Charlie (1985)
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:41

Bill shares a bit about Charlie (1985)
[youtu.be]

Re: Bill shares a bit about Charlie (1985)
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:03

The Rolling Stones
@RollingStones

Charlie lives on in all our hearts.

[twitter.com]

Date: September 22, 2021 22:49

dont know if already posted
great tribut from Jason Isbell

Date: September 23, 2021 02:51

EXCLUSIVE 'He was a beautiful human being:' Ringo Starr pays tribute to 'great guy' Charlie Watts following his death at 80... as he recalls his wild partying with Rolling Stones legend and bassist John Bonham in the 1970s

Ringo Starr has paid tribute to the late Rolling Stones' drummer Charlie Watts, who died last month aged 80 surrounded by his friends and family.

'He was a beautiful human being,' The Beatles musician, 81, said of his fellow drummer as he recalled their days of wild partying together in the 70s.

Speaking to MailOnline to promote his new EP Change The World, Ringo said: 'Charlie was a great guy and a lot of fun and he had a harder band than I did to keep together.'

'He was a beautiful human being': Ringo Starr has paid tribute to the late Rolling Stones' drummer Charlie Watts and recalled their days of wild partying together in the 70s (pictured in 2019)

Looking back fondly on one memorable night with Charlie and Led Zeppelin's John Bonham, Ringo said: 'I had a party in the 70s and I had a drum kit up in the attic.
Charlie came and so did John Bonham and so we’ve got three drummers just hanging out and Bonham got on the kit.

'But because it wasn’t like when you’re on stage and you nail them down so they’re steady it was just there. So, as he was playing, the bass drum was hopping away from him.'

Ringo then described how he and Charlie held the bass drum down onto the floor as John played, affectionately adding: "We will miss Charlie. He was a beautiful human being... He was like The Quiet Man."

Despite turning 81 years old in July, Ringo shows no signs of slowing down his career and is set to release a new EP on Friday.

The music legend recorded the tracks in his at-home studio Roccabella West alongside his many talented friends from the music business.

Ringo shared: 'I've been saying I only want to release EPs at this point and this is the next one.

"What a blessing it's been during this year to have a studio here at home and be able to collaborate with so many great musicians, some I've worked with before and some new friends."

The lead single Let's Change The World is an optimistic track that features backing vocals from Amy Keys, Zelma Davis, Billy Valentine and Darryl Phinnessee.

Another of the tracks, Just That Way, sees Ringo join forces with the likes of Tony Chen and Zho Davis.

Coming Undone represents Ringo's first collaboration with Linda Perry, who wrote the new track having penned hundreds of other hits - including Christina Aguilera's Beautiful.

The final track on the EP sees Ringo once again join forces with guitarist Joe Walsh to cover the classic 50s track Rock Around The Clock.

Ringo also revealed the details of the upcoming documentary by Peter Jackson: The Beatles: Get Back, which is slated for release in November.

The three part series will show the 'emotional ups and downs' of the band's final years, including unseen footage from their famous rooftop performance in 1969.

Peter's new documentary came into being when Apple discovered 56 hours of unused footage from Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 1970s documentary on the band: Let It Be, which centres around their final performance together on a London rooftop.

Looking back on the band's final live performance together, Ringo said: 'The Beatles, we were always going to Turkey... or we’re going up Everest...or we’re in a desert or Hawaii or a volcano or - sod it - lets just walk across the road.

'And with this one [performance] "lets just do it on the roof!" And that’s what we did and it was great.'

Gushing about the upcoming documentary, Ring joked: 'I love it because I’m in it, of course. So, six hours is never long enough.

'Everyone will enjoy it because you see this band work really hard and went through emotional ups and downs to get to where we got, every time.

'But, that’s just how it was. Four guys in a room.... You’re going to have a few ups and downs.'
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 23, 2021 04:25

maumau
dont know if already posted
great tribut from Jason Isbell

Brilliant! I had not seen this. Jason is a great guy and a big Stones fan. Thanks for posting!

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 23, 2021 14:46

Interesting comment from Ringo above -

'Charlie was a great guy and a lot of fun and he had a harder band than I did to keep together.'

I would have said the clashing Lennon/McCartney egos were every bit as tricky as Jagger/Richards. Maybe he's just talking musically.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 24, 2021 16:00

Considering today's date (24-Sep-2021) it's already 1 month ago that Charlie was gone.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2021 16:14

Sad...he was irreplaceable, and shall never be forgotten...

Date: September 25, 2021 01:01

If it ain't got that swing. Great interview.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: September 25, 2021 01:42

A month has already passed. Thanks Charlie for all the incredible music you gave us. You are one of the few celebrities I wished I could have had the pleasure to shake hands with. Along with your bandmates you have been an important part of the background music of my life.
Thanks for the swings, the rolls, the beats...
God Bless You!!!

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 25, 2021 13:35

Rock & Folk magazine, october 2021 :

'it takes only one beat to stop for millions of hearts to be broken'

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 25, 2021 20:27

Watch from 16:20

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 26, 2021 01:17

On the eve of their first show since Charlie's death (I don't count the private show - not the same), I find my emotions welling up more than ever because it's tomorrow night that it's really going to hit home that Charlie's gone. It'll be hard for everyone - band and crowd. Courage to them all.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 26, 2021 02:27

With you there Beast.

I find as it gets nearer to the first gig the emotions build up.
The majority who are there, are Rolling Stones fans who have seen the band at least once before, I guess.

If they haven't............. they are going to see a really great show by the best Rock band in the world.

Will look at a couple of the video tributes to dear Charlie before the gig, and watch and listen to the gig on IORR......... till the early hours of the morning here in UK. smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2021 03:02

Yes ... Courage to them all ....

Great line beast ....
stay safe wont ya .... xxx

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 26, 2021 17:39

Thanks, Rockman - will try my best! And the same to you xox

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2021 20:55

Will be thinking of Charlie durng tonights opening show, and will think about him throughout every show from here on out.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 1, 2021 17:19

'We think about him every minute of every day': Charlie Watts remembered in Rolling Stones tour

Melissa Ruggieri
October 1, 2021

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - With only the drum track to “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” reverberating through the stadium, four video panels lit up with images of Charlie Watts. Sometimes smiling, sometimes stoic, but always playing drums with his idiosyncratic touch, the opening tribute to the recently deceased Rolling Stones mainstay smoothly set the tone for the next two-plus hours of one of rock’s grandest catalogs.

On the second date of the band’s “No Filter” tour, which resumed Sept. 26 in St. Louis after a 16-month pandemic delay, indefatigable leader Mick Jagger acknowledged the band’s loss two songs into the set.

Flanked by guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, Jagger reminded the nearly full Bank of America Stadium that this was The Rolling Stones’ first tour without Watts in 59 years. Watts died at a London hospital on Aug. 24 at age 80.

“It was great to see those images of Charlie on the video,” Jagger said. “It always reminds us of the shows we did together…I’m sure lots of you have memories as well.”

He dedicated the show to Watts’ memory as the band rolled into “Tumbling Dice,” business as usual, the way Watts would have preferred.

Earlier this week, Chuck Leavell, musical director and primary keyboardist in The Rolling Stones since the mid-‘80s, talked via Zoom from his Charlotte hotel room (the band is abiding by COVID-19 protocols, though Jagger documented on social media his visit to a local dive bar Wednesday night), about the emotional return.

“We think about him every minute of every day,” Leavell said. “Charlie Watts would never want to be the reason this band stopped. (Mick and Keith) are doing great under the circumstances. We miss (Charlie), but it’s exciting for all of us to finally do this. I can’t tell you how good it felt in St. Louis to finally get back on that stage. And Ronnie is in great shape – clean and sober for a long time now and physically strong. I think rock ‘n’ roll helps keep you young.”

A few weeks prior to Watts’ death – which Leavell said “absolutely was a surprise” – the drummer bowed out of the tour to recuperate from an undisclosed medical procedure. Ace sticksman Steve Jordan, whose resume includes stints with Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Nicks, John Mayer and Richards’ side project, the X-Pensive Winos, allowed for a seamless transition given his years in the Stones’ orbit.

“Steve is doing a magnificent job. He’s worked so hard,” Leavell said. “He’s honoring Charlie’s parts but being his own man at the same time.”

Indeed, at Thursday’s show in Charlotte, Jordan integrated Watts’ signature swing – and his unusual way of playing by not hitting the high hat and snare simultaneously – with his own muscular approach. His groove with bassist Darryl Jones during “Miss You” was so funky it was sinister, while an exceptionally taut “Start Me Up” benefited from Jordan’s guidance.

His presence has also allowed the band to transform its set list, so far adding “19th Nervous Breakdown,” which is being performed live for the first time in 16 years.

As The Rolling Stones' musical director, Leavell had a special rapport with Watts, particularly during live performances. His absence has been palpable.

“I gave him a lot of direction during every show to signal changes from parts of songs or endings, so I’m used to looking that way and I still do it. It’s in my DNA to make those motions,” Leavell said. “On a personal level, it’s affected me to look over and he’s not there.”

Throughout the Charlotte show, reliably packed with classics and the exhaustive moves of 78-year-old Jagger (remember that heart valve replacement surgery in 2019? Yeah, not a problem for this dynamo), the band emanated a renewed vigor.

Wood – who endured a bout with cancer last year – and Richards, a canary yellow knit cap pulled over his head, were like mischievous schoolboys who were obviously having a blast.

The pair cheered on Leavell during his rollicking “Honky Tonk Women” keyboard solo, talked and laughed with each other during songs and reveled in the music. Wood uncorked a blazing solo during “You Can’t Always Gets What You Want,” while a cheery Richards frequently put a hand on Jagger’s shoulder, which the singer reciprocated with smiles.

Leavell noted that the week Watts died, “there were three topics in the news: Afghanistan, Hurricane Ida and Charlie Watts. And it was beautiful to see the way so much love was given to Charlie.”

Perhaps the loss of a core member coupled with the uncertainty of ever touring again (their last pre-pandemic “No Filter” date was in August 2019) has reintroduced a new level of appreciation and affection within the band.

There was certainly much fondness on display at the end of the show.

After the full lineup took its bows, Jagger, Richards and Wood linked arms on the catwalk as a photo of Watts, slightly smiling in his trademark suit and tie, loomed above, his spirit ingrained in this band’s legacy.

[www.usatoday.com]

Date: October 1, 2021 17:26

Nice article.. thanks for posting.

"Perhaps the loss of a core member coupled with the uncertainty of ever touring again (their last pre-pandemic “No Filter” date was in August 2019) has reintroduced a new level of appreciation and affection within the band."

This is a special tour, very grateful for it.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 1, 2021 17:39

Mick Jagger Opens Up About the Challenge of Touring Without Charlie Watts

Jagger also told Apple Music 1's Zane Lowe about the newly remastered 40th anniversary edition of 'Tattoo You.'

By Gil Kaufman
9/30/2021

One of the most beloved songs on the Rolling Stones' 1981 album, Tattoo You, is closing track "Waiting on a Friend." In it, singer Mick Jagger drawls about how he's not "waiting on a lady/ I'm just waiting on a friend." In a chat with Apple Music 1's Zane Lowe on Thursday (Sept. 30), Jagger talked about revisiting that album for the upcoming 40th anniversary bonus edition, as well as his writing spree during the COVID-19 lockdown and the difficulty of carrying on following the death of longtime Stones drummer and friend, Charlie Watts.

"Some people said, 'Oh, well, Charlie, died. He should have not done the tour and stopped," Jagger said of the advice the band got about their just-rebooted No Filter stadium tour following Watts's death at 80 last month. "And then other people would think, 'Well ...,' But the thing about The Rolling Stones, I think, throughout their career has been their resilience in the face of adversity. And we've had ups and downs -- mostly ups, to be honest. We've had adversity, and this was probably one of the most difficult ones."

But with the dates booked -- after they were canceled last year during the pandemic -- Jagger said the rest of the band thought it would be best to carry on. With a few shows under their belts so far, the singer said things feel pretty good so far and he's glad the band decided to press on. "I'm glad we're doing it. I know Charlie wanted us to do it. I think the audience wants to do it," he said.

One thing that lifted the 79-year-old's spirits is the memory of the recent time he spent in the studio with Watts recording new songs and revisiting some of the Tattoo You classics. "Charlie came into the studio. We did some we did some work on Tattoo You. Charlie did some work on just, just a few fills and stuff like that," he said of the drummer with the notoriously light, jazzy touch.

"And then when we started messing around with some other things, so I've worked with him. It seems like only yesterday that I was in the studio with Charlie, joshing around. It's just so weird and then very sad," Jagger added. "And I mean, it's such a long time that you work with someone like that, and you get to know someone so well and their quirks and their idiosyncrasies and they know yours. And there's a language in communication with musicians, obviously, or anything else ... That's very rare. I miss that so much."

In addition to digging into and tinkering with the Tattoo material, Jagger also talked about writing "a lot" of new songs during lockdown, some of which feel like they could be Stones songs and some that are definitely not in the band's lane. 1981's 11-track Tattoo You featured the band's No. 2 hit "Start Me Up" as well as "Hang Fire," "Little T&A" and "No Use in Crying." The re-mastered version of the album that was originally assembled from castoff tunes recorded in the 1970s will feature all the original songs, plus nine new and previously unheard recordings, bonus tracks and live cuts. The collection is due out on Oct. 22.

Jagger explained to Lowe that with the pressure of an already-booked tour and their record company eager for a new album to promote, the band were stymied since they didn't have one to offer. "And they said, 'Well, why don't you go back and see what you've got in the last eight years. You must have something.'" So they did, and engineer-producer Chris Kimsey dug around, uncovering "Start Me Up" and other tracks that they didn't think they'd finished.

"But they were finished. And that's the same process I had to go through here," he said of going back to the tapes for the reissue in the same way the band had to dig in to finish the original. "There were a lot of tracks that had no top lines, they had no tunes, they had no melody ... and [guitarist] Keith [Richards] and I worked on those tracks to make those tracks work. So we finished the whole album like that and quite quickly."

The Rolling Stones singer dove into rediscovering the band's cover of the Chi-Lites' 1970 track "Troubles a' Comin'," which the Stones originally recorded in 1979 and then dusted off on Sept. 20 during a private show at Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts. Though it was was an existing composition, Jagger said he added an extra verse to it, then asked the Chi-Lites if that was okay. "But that was kind of easy, in a way. And then Ronnie [Wood] put a guitar solo on it," he said.

[www.billboard.com]

Date: October 1, 2021 18:00

The German Edition of the Rolling Stone 10-2021 has a 10-pages special about Charlie:

"Farewell to Charlie Watts - what's next for the Rolling Stones without him?"

[www.RollingStone.de] , [www.United-Kiosk.de]

Date: October 4, 2021 14:40

Japanese CD (3rd-party Label): "Charlie Watts And His Rolling Stones" - Tracks from 1962-67 - [Tower.jp] , [www.Amazon.co.jp] , [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [www.jpc.de] - (24-Nov-2021) - [iorr.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-14 02:10 by Irix.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 4, 2021 17:17

Irix
Japanese CD: "Charlie Watts And His Rolling Stones" - Tracks from 1962-67 - [Tower.jp] , [www.jpc.de] - (24-Nov-2021).

This looks like another bootleg...nothing official

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home