Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 15, 2021 02:49

STONES HAIL CHARLIE The Rolling Stones will turn their iconic tongue logo black in tribute to late bandmate Charlie Watts

Simon Boyle
14 Sep 2021

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 15, 2021 03:27

Beast
Rules or no rules, this is just beyond sad.

Isn’t it. I am grateful that Charlie had privacy during his illness, and that his family and those truly close to him were able to mourn him and hold his funeral in privacy. Charlie gave us more than enough in life, he deserved no less. I’m sure the others were gutted that they couldn’t be there, and that they held their own memorial and celebration of Charlie’s life in privacy too. Mick and Keith avoided Brian’s funeral so as to not turn it into a sideshow, and Stu’s memorial concert wasn’t filmed (or at least nothing significant has surfaced) so we shouldn’t be surprised that they are mourning Charlie in private for many good reasons. They don’t owe us a damn thing, let alone a voyeuristic window into their grief or people judging whether they are grieving properly.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 15, 2021 13:54

SomeTorontoGirl
Beast

Isn’t it. I am grateful that Charlie had privacy during his illness, and that his family and those truly close to him were able to mourn him and hold his funeral in privacy. Charlie gave us more than enough in life, he deserved no less. I’m sure the others were gutted that they couldn’t be there, and that they held their own memorial and celebration of Charlie’s life in privacy too. Mick and Keith avoided Brian’s funeral so as to not turn it into a sideshow, and Stu’s memorial concert wasn’t filmed (or at least nothing significant has surfaced) so we shouldn’t be surprised that they are mourning Charlie in private for many good reasons. They don’t owe us a damn thing, let alone a voyeuristic window into their grief or people judging whether they are grieving properly.

STG, I agree 100%. Everyone knows this is the way Charlie would have wanted it.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 15, 2021 15:26

Tonight there will be a memorial concert in Budapest (Hungary):

[tixa.hu]

August 24, Charlie Watts, one of the most important drummer of the rock’n’roll, passed away at the age of 80. As a member of The Rolling Stones, he aquired timeless merits in laying foundations in the genre, with songs inspiring generations. This evening is dedicated to the Great Charlie Watts by Hungary’s Stones Tribute - ‘Stoned’ and by Charlie fan drummers and other musicians.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-15 15:28 by 1962.

Date: September 15, 2021 17:01

Exclusive: Charlie Watts' modest funeral held in place the fuss-hating Rolling Stone loved best

Ex-Rolling Stones tour manager and author Sam Cutler remembers his friend Charlie Watts, a laid-back, home-loving Rolling Stone whose funeral was fittingly modest and private

By Sam Cutler, ex-Rolling Stones tour manager and author
14 Sep 2021

It's fitting to learn that Charlie Watts’ funeral – held last week in Devon, the place that he loved best – was modest and private.

It perfectly reflects the man he was, and I completely understand the choice that was made. He would have hated a fuss and the commotion that involving the public would have meant.

For me, it’s a privilege to remember and pay tribute to Charlie.

But not just to Charlie, to Charlie and his wife Shirley who married as childhood sweethearts and enjoyed more than 50 happy years together.

Theirs was a dreamily harmonious and loving relationship of mutual respect based upon the undeniably deep bonds of one another’s hearts.

They showed us all how to commit to the dream of love.

Charlie loved Shirley with an abiding sincerity and passion his whole life.

I first met Charlie Watts through Alexis Korner, sometimes known as the father of the British Blues. I was involved in a free music scene in a church hall in Notting Hill and Charlie would sometimes come down to play.

People, if they had any money, paid what they wanted at the door to enter and the cream of the London music scene came and played for free.

People from Pink Floyd, Arthur Brown, Third Ear Band and the like, jammed together, and Charlie invariably sat in on drums; a model of quiet and unassuming competence.

He was known in musical circles as a “sweet cat” in those heady days when people played for free and simply for their love of music.

Later I was to meet him after the Rolling Stones free concert in 1969 in London’s Hyde Park.

I had been offered the job of tour manager on the forthcoming tour of America. Charlie, I suspect, wanted to check me out. I joined him for dinner in an Italian restaurant in the King’s Road and we talked about the tour.

As the meal progressed, I noticed a fan hovering nervously nearby with an autograph book and as he neared our table I rose to intercept him, asking him to come back after the meal was finished.

Charlie intervened and happily signed the man’s book, and we regained our seats. He looked me kindly and said in that softly civilised voice of his, “Sam, never forget, it’s the fans who pay for dinner”.

It was a deeply meaningful insight into the centrality of those who support musicians through their love of music and I never forgot the lesson: The fans are everything.

Charlie, as far as the music business was concerned, was something of an anomaly. Firstly, as is well known, he didn’t like touring. As he couldn’t very well play shows in his own home, he was forced to leave the house.

So, he frequently bemoaned the fact that he had to “walk out the front door” in order to play.

He loved being at home, and almost uniquely in the pop world, was devoted to his wife Shirley since they were married.

They adored one another and were inseparable through a long and happy relationship.

When he went on the road, they both pined and in the early years of the band Charlie would spend all of his money on long telephone calls to home. On the 1969 tour of America, Shirley had recently had a baby and was left at home.

Charlie pined so hard for his wife that she was brought to the USA with the baby and they were happily reunited in Los Angeles. Quite simply, he couldn’t bear to live without her.

Charlie, was in some senses, an anomaly. In the entertainment industry where bluster, fluster and muster are all, Charlie remained quietly confident, almost serene in his laid-back attitude, and possessed of an evergreen sense of humour.

The madness of a giant tour went on around him and he sat at the centre of the circle of mayhem letting it all revolve whilst remaining relatively unaffected.

Mind you, when he saw something of which he disapproved, he spoke his mind in a forceful and direct way that brooked no argument.

At the Oakland California gig on the ’69 tour, Charlie and I were waiting backstage, watching the crew assembling amps and the equipment for the next show. A young girl was trying to get on stage and a man was pushing her roughly down into the audience with excessive force.

Charlie, seeing this, was outraged and demanded I intervene

“He can’t treat our fans like that,” Charlie protested. I went to stop the man (who was the promoter Bill Graham) and a fist-fight ensued.

Two separate groups of “heavies” were involved and eventually we were all separated. Charlie, bless him, had a quiet word with Mick, explaining what had happened. Bill Graham insisted I was at fault. Mick would have none of it and the show (after some to-ing and fro-ing) went ahead.

Charlie was a joy to work for, never demanding and always grateful. One of the highlights of my professional life was his thanking me for making sure that his wife and baby were okay on tour, when before she had frequently been overlooked in the melee that was the Rolling Stones circus.

An era has passed but the show will go on. Charlie had already approved of his temporary replacement when he was ill. He would have wanted his band mates to continue. I feel certain that they will, and that every show will become a tribute to a remarkable and well-loved man, for there is no way that they will not continue being the greatest rock ’n’ roll band in the world.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: September 15, 2021 17:22

Teary again. What a beautiful tribute.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 15, 2021 17:35

Great tribute!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-15 17:35 by 1962.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 16, 2021 01:05

steffialicia
SomeTorontoGirl
Beast

STG nailed it. They don't owe us anything. Was thinking, Shirley is a widow.

Posted by: Davie137 ()
Date: September 16, 2021 01:49

shattered
steffialicia
SomeTorontoGirl
Beast

STG nailed it. They don't owe us anything. Was thinking, Shirley is a widow.

I agree, they all have a right to privacy like we all do. I took my boy to Charlie’s estate 2 weeks ago and laid some flowers at his gate & also on behalf of 2 other people. These were the only flowers there which surprised me, and if I heard about any local funeral for him then again I’d of paid my respects but I didn’t - which is fine, so let the family mourn and have this time for themselves which they are entitled to

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 16, 2021 03:24

bye bye Johnny

Sad, but I like it. It has a strong Exile on Main St. vibe. It could have been incorporated into the packaging of that album back in '72 and it would have fit in perfectly not only with the black and white photography, but with the overall sound of the album as well.

I've been wanting to get a Stones tattoo for 40 years. Maybe this is the one I'll get.

Date: September 16, 2021 16:55

Friends, collaborators and fans remember Charlie Watts: “He was one of a kind”

Uncut marks the departure of a true gentleman of rock’n’roll. We look back at the life and work of a dapper master of his craft, while collaborators, friends and fans share their intimate memories

15th September 2021

harlie on the set of Ready Steady Go!, Television House Kingsway, London, February 1965. Image: George Wilkes

When The Rolling Stones take the stage at St Louis on September 26, they will be without their drummer – described by many as “their heartbeat” – for the first time since 1963. He had been ill – an unspecified “medical procedure” had kept him out of the Stones’ upcoming run of dates – but at the time, Watts appeared to shrug off an inconvenient situation with typical understatement: “For once my timing has been a little off,” he said. “I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while.” This was on August 5. Nineteen days later, on August 24, the news broke that Charlie Watts had died aged 80.

As a famously modest man, what would have struck Watts as preposterous was the outpouring of emotion from the public and his peers: “I’ve always loved you, beautiful man,” said Paul McCartney, encapsulating the tremendous depth of feeling many felt towards Watts. A steady hand, a crisp collar, the Wembley Whammer was meticulous in all aspects of his life – a stoic and unshowy counterpoint to the raucous rigmarole of the Stones, the calm centre of the hurricane.

Watts first played alongside Brian Jones, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated. He occasionally sat in with the nascent Stones, making such a difference to their sound that they begged him to join full-time; Keith Richards once claimed that one early motivation was to play enough shows to afford Watts’
£5 weekly salary. Watts officially joined the Stones in 1963, a few weeks after Bill Wyman. The final member of the band’s classic lineup to arrive, he outlasted Wyman, Jones and Ian Stewart, never once missing a show.

A couple of years older than his singer and lead guitarist, Watts spent those extra years learning his craft by playing to jazz records. Born in London in 1941 and raised in Wembley, he reached his teens before either Elvis or the skiffle revolution hit. Fascinated by drummers like Chico Hamilton, he got his first drum kit in 1955. He began playing in jazz bands, only making the switch to R&B when he joined Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated in 1962. He took with him some of jazz’s style – musical as well as sartorial – playing rather than pounding his drums, offering a different approach to the showmanship of fellow superstar drummers Keith Moon, John Bonham and Ginger Baker. His counter-rhythms and innovative use of the snare immediately changed the Stones’ sound from being mere R&B copyists into something more unusual and sophisticated – a rhythm that the band described as “shuffle and eighths” in reference to Watts’ shuffling beat and the fast eighths Wyman played alongside. Those jazz chops brought a groove and elegance to Watts’ playing that synched with his appearance – the debonair drummer who could finish a two-hour show without a hair out of place.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 16, 2021 18:08

Date: September 16, 2021 18:56

A great tribute from Sam Cutler.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 16, 2021 21:55

Ronnie Wood
@ronniewood
Thank you all for your condolences and kind tributes to Charlie. I feel the love you’ve been sending, it means so much *red heart* *praying hands*

[twitter.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 16, 2021 22:33

bye bye johnny
STONES HAIL CHARLIE The Rolling Stones will turn their iconic tongue logo black in tribute to late bandmate Charlie Watts

Simon Boyle
14 Sep 2021

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Looks like the article was pulled?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 16, 2021 22:37

Yes it was for some reason, other tabloids are still running it though.

Date: September 16, 2021 22:43

gotdablouse

Yes, kind of odd as it was quoted and cited all over the place.
So much so a receptionist at my dentist mentioned it to me after seeing my stones shirt yesterday.

Thinking the stones really didn't want that leaked for whatever reason (perhaps that they'd have "merch" with it?) Maybe blatant falsehoods in it like that or??

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 16, 2021 23:34

MisterDDDD
gotdablouse

Yes, kind of odd as it was quoted and cited all over the place.
So much so a receptionist at my dentist mentioned it to me after seeing my stones shirt yesterday.

Thinking the stones really didn't want that leaked for whatever reason (perhaps that they'd have "merch" with it?) Maybe blatant falsehoods in it like that or??

Maybe it was supposed to be a surprise?

(I see a red tongue and I want to paint it black...)

Date: September 17, 2021 03:16

Green Lady

Maybe it was supposed to be a surprise?

(I see a red tongue and I want to paint it black...)

Think you're exactly right.. someone leaked too much info I believe as well.

Already have my "paint it black" shirt and mask, but do hope they don't make any merch commemorating it, and I don't imagine they will, as the article stated.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 18, 2021 02:47

Joining in with others to applaud the poignant tribute from Sam Cutler. thumbs up

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: rollman ()
Date: September 18, 2021 06:16

I miss you so much Charlie.

Read the great book Sympathy For The Drummer last year: Why Charlie Watts Matters
A complete joy from beginning to end, for me anyway.

Been trying to find out if Charlie got vaccinated

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 18, 2021 07:46

Somewhere in the shadows of my often mis-placed memories, I seem to remember/think that Charlie had a sister, Linda, who may very well still be alive.

Just wondering if I am correct; anyone know?

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: September 18, 2021 12:44

rollman
I miss you so much Charlie.

Been trying to find out if Charlie got vaccinated

They all most likely was, and if anything for insurance because the tour demanding it.

And even though reports seem to indicate a rising number of cancer cases after the rollout, this probably isn't the place to have that conversation.

And I'm guessing he might have died of cancer, because of Kenny Jones reports that Ronnie said it didn't look good and his own phonecall with Charlie. Plus it was reported he passed away at the same hospital he was treated for cancer the first time.

Date: September 18, 2021 16:52

Exclusive: Charlie Watts to be honoured with special tribute at Isle of Wight Festival

Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones' drummer who died last month, will be honoured with a special tribute at this weekend’s Isle of Wight Festival

By Tom Bryant
17 Sep 2021

Rolling Stones star Charlie Watts is to be honoured at this weekend’s Isle of Wight festival in an emotional tribute.

Festival boss John Giddings said they had been in talks about a tribute during the three day event, in Newport, which kicked off yesterday (Friday).

It is expected that his image will be projected on the main stage.

The band played the festival, in 2007, in a memorable set in which they were joined by Amy Winehouse on stage.

Giddings told the Mirror: “We have been talking about doing something. I mean it’s just so sad…he was such a great bloke.

“I am not sure it’s the Rolling Stones without him but they will continue on for the rest of their lives. I mean they are the best rock band in the world bar none. They get better every time I see them.”

David Bowie had been previously honoured at the festival in 2016 following his death.

Liam Gallagher and Tom Jones were set to kick off the festival last night.

Duran Duran, Snow Patrol and David Guetta are also headlining.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2021 00:39

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-19 09:49 by Rockman.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 19, 2021 01:25

Awe man yes, mine too. A George Jones classic. Alan Jackson, one of the last true country greats that didn't succumb to, what I consider, modern "country pop".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-19 01:26 by shadooby.

Date: September 19, 2021 08:41

Charlie Watts almost never missed a beat.I have been listening to Rolling Stones recordings for my whole life and I can only recall a couple of times when he was off.Gimme Shelter in Australia '73 and Might as Well Get Juiced in '98 and not many other examples.

A very underrated drummer who held things up and left us with more than plenty of good music to enjoy long after he is gone.The best there ever was for my money.No over the top noise.He knew how to play with a band in rhythm.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 20, 2021 14:55

I miss you so much dear Charlie sad smiley

Date: September 20, 2021 15:28

KRiffhard
I miss you so much dear Charlie sad smiley

It's going to be very strange. Miss you Charlie, but I'm glad you're at peace.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2021 00:46

It's really weird....the dawning of a new era, and the end of the other...sad...life goes on........
RIP Charlie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home