Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 13, 2021 20:39

Cooltoplady
windmelody
With respect, it is extremely annoying that they use samples which are more than half a century old to promote a current tour. This clip is stupid and not tasteful. Do I try to tell the men in the band what to do? No! Yet it would be sad if the Stones ended their unique career with stupidity and emptiness.

Are you talking about Satisfaction?

All songs in the trailer.

24FPS, I agree that 1999 was the last great tour. Watts and Richards were brilliant, and Jagger sang great.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 14, 2021 06:02

I don't know if this has been posted already, but if not it's brutal:

[www.thesun.co.uk]

I guess intellectually I understand why, but this just doesn't feel right.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2021 06:47

treaclefingers

[www.thesun.co.uk]

It is brutal..
Imagine the private low key affair may have been Charlie's and the families wishes as well. Not going to be too quick to judge until/if I know the full circumstances.
Nice to hear they will be doing a celebration of his life in the UK."

"An insider said the Stones would pay tribute to their fallen bandmate at the upcoming shows and were also planning a celebration of his life later this year in the UK.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 14, 2021 09:10

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers

[www.thesun.co.uk]

It is brutal..
Imagine the private low key affair may have been Charlie's and the families wishes as well. Not going to be too quick to judge until/if I know the full circumstances.
Nice to hear they will be doing a celebration of his life in the UK."

"An insider said the Stones would pay tribute to their fallen bandmate at the upcoming shows and were also planning a celebration of his life later this year in the UK.

It's been a common experience throughout the pandemic in the UK that funerals were forced to be very small affairs and people who would have wanted to be there weren't able to attend. The rules about numbers have been relaxed a bit now, but travel regulations would still mean that band members rehearsing in the US would have to spend time in quarantine both coming and going. Yes, it's brutal, but I don't think it could have been otherwise - and even the Sun says that Charlie's family's wish was for a quiet funeral.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 09:16 by Green Lady.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2021 09:56

windmelody
Cooltoplady
windmelody
With respect, it is extremely annoying that they use samples which are more than half a century old to promote a current tour. This clip is stupid and not tasteful. Do I try to tell the men in the band what to do? No! Yet it would be sad if the Stones ended their unique career with stupidity and emptiness.

Are you talking about Satisfaction?

All songs in the trailer.

24FPS, I agree that 1999 was the last great tour. Watts and Richards were brilliant, and Jagger sang great.

It may sound strange but I always listened to the band and didn't pay much attention to Jagger. Then I saw them in 2006 at Dodger Stadium and he was 'on'. No one else mattered that night.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2021 10:25

Green Lady

The rules about numbers have been relaxed a bit now, but travel regulations would still mean that band members rehearsing in the US would have to spend time in quarantine both coming and going.

Darryl played on September 10 & 11, 2021 in Denmark (Helsingør) - [www.SoundDues.com] , [iorr.org] .

Professional artists should be able to get an exemption from the Covid-19 Travel-Restrictions - which seems to be easier for the US than for the UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 10:50 by Irix.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 14, 2021 10:31

Thing is though, Darryl is an US citizen, he didn't require a visa or quarantine to re-enter.

Mick and Ronnie aren't, even though Keith obviously has permanent residence in the US.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents are allowed to return from the United Kingdom, Ireland, and the European Schengen area

[travel.state.gov]

Not sure how tricky it would have been for Mick and Ronnie to go to the UK and back. (Note that they obviously would not have been coming to the UK for their work)

Also, speaking of Denmark, they lifted all of their restrictions on September 10th.

Denmark welcomes fully vaccinated visitors from EU, Schengen and OECD nations (which includes the UK and USA)

[www.visitdenmark.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 11:47 by Topi.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 14, 2021 10:48

Rules or no rules, this is just beyond sad.

Date: September 14, 2021 10:50

Topi

Thing is though, Darryl is an US citizen, he didn't require a visa or quarantine to re-enter.

The problem seems to be more the Covid-19 Travel-Restrictions by the UK - [www.gov.uk] . Most professionals must quarantine in the place they're staying for 10 days.

Date: September 14, 2021 10:51

Yeah, that, if applicable, would have been an obvious hurdle.

Attending a funeral doesn't seem to go under "compassionate reasons", either (for granting an exemption from the quarantine requirements)

[www.gov.uk]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 11:19 by Topi.

Date: September 14, 2021 10:58

Beast

Oh, tell me about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 11:06 by Topi.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 14, 2021 11:28

Date: September 14, 2021 11:41

Irix, I'm now reading that the US is currently on the "amber" list of countries as regards traveling to the UK.

If you're coming from an "amber list country", it would appear no quarantine is required upon entering the UK if you are fully vaccinated.

So reading that, I'm not entirely sure where the hurdle was (assuming MJ, KR and RW are all fully vaxxed, of course.)

[www.gov.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 11:51 by Topi.

Date: September 14, 2021 12:00

Topi

Irix, I'm now reading that the US is currently on the "amber" list of countries as regards traveling to the UK.

That may be. The rules are a bit complicated - see e.g. here for domestic/international elite sportspersons from amber list countries - [www.gov.uk] . Quarantine unless fully vaccinated in accordance with UK-requirements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 12:25 by Irix.

Date: September 14, 2021 12:08

Oh, it's all a big mess - I'm a lawyer myself and I still have a hard time understanding which rules apply to which case!

(Note that in this case, they wouldn't have been coming to the UK to exercise their profession. So in that sense I think the "jobs that qualify for travel exemptions" list is irrelevant. Furthermore, the list doesn't include artists/performers.)

However, as regards musicians, I found this: [www.nme.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 12:18 by Topi.

Date: September 14, 2021 12:30

Topi

However, as regards musicians, I found this: [www.nme.com]

This article is from 28-Jul-2021 and the rules change daily ....

Date: September 14, 2021 12:33

I know that. But anyway, my point above was that if they would have (been able to) come to attend Charlie's funeral, they wouldn't have been considered as coming to the UK for work.

The "National Interest Exemption" only applies to them traveling (back) to the US, because that's where they will be working in the near future. The NIE is valid for multiple entries within 12 months, that much I was able to find out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 12:38 by Topi.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 14, 2021 14:51

Beast

Yes it is. But the band's absence doesn't need to become a stick to beat them with. We don't know how difficult it would have been to get there and back: we also don't know what the family's wishes were: maybe nobody wanted a private family funeral to become the Rolling Stones Show (and it would have, if the press had found out).

Date: September 14, 2021 15:14

I can imagine that the band members already said "goodbye" by visiting Charlie Watts in person before he passed, Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 15:16 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: September 14, 2021 16:25

Charlie has been buried in Devon in the week of September 6-12, 2021. The other RS band-members were not able to attend the small private ceremony due to Covid-19 restrictions - [iorr.org] , [www.Mirror.co.uk] .

The Stones will instead pay tribute to Charlie during their US-Shows and a celebration of his life is planned for later in 2021 in the UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 16:35 by Irix.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: September 14, 2021 16:42

In a way, it may have been a selfless act, on the part of Charlie AND the band. Charlie clearly wanted the show to go on, mainly for the crew and fans, I think. The Stones should use this pain as motivation do give us some great shows.
I UNDERSTAND why they weren't present.
They will honor Charlie when the tour is over.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 14, 2021 16:52

George Thorogood, from an interview with Jason Savio of Cape Cod Times:

Rules of the road and a Rolling Stone encounter

Thorogood has a perspective on the music scene that is dry, witty and laced with mischief, much like his sense of humor.

When asked how he’s doing, he replies simply, “Bad.” He also offers sage advice and intel when talking about his years on the road, such as commenting that “a band without a drummer is a folk act,” and discussing who to steer clear of when touring.

“When you’re in the world of rock, there are two people you do not mess with on the road, that you do not get on their bad side: the drivers and the drummers,” he says. “They rule, believe me. I’ve been doing this for 45 years. I know what I’m talking about.”

What you learn on the road is cyclical, with older bands passing down tradition and “rock etiquette” to younger ones, he says.

He recalls when he and his band opened for the Rolling Stones in 1981 and 1982.

“They set us straight,” he says. “More than one time (they told us) ‘Son, remember when you’re doing these shows you’re not the opening act, you’re part of the show, you just happen to be the band that plays first.’ That was really nice of them. So, we’ve passed that onto other bands that have worked with us. That was a real nice way to pull us into the fold, so to speak, into their circle.”

One of the Rolling Stones in particular made an impression on Thorogood.

“I got a chance to meet the Rolling Stones before I saw them play, and the first thing one of the Rolling Stones said to me was, ‘George, may I have your autograph?’”

The Stone in question? The late drummer Charlie Watts.

“Everybody will say the same about Charlie, he was quite the gentleman, a wonderful person as far as I can say. For my money, with all due respect to Jeff Simon and Gene Krupa and Keith Moon, I’d say Charlie Watts is the premier drummer in rock. I mean, where would the Rolling Stones be without him?”

[www.capecodtimes.com]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 14, 2021 16:57

Beast

Indeed ! Simply beyond sad !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 14, 2021 18:38

Topi

Mick and Ronnie aren't, even though Keith obviously has permanent residence in the US.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents are allowed to return from the United Kingdom, Ireland, and the European Schengen area

[travel.state.gov]

Not sure how tricky it would have been for Mick and Ronnie to go to the UK and back. (Note that they obviously would not have been coming to the UK for their work)

Also, speaking of Denmark, they lifted all of their restrictions on September 10th.

Denmark welcomes fully vaccinated visitors from EU, Schengen and OECD nations (which includes the UK and USA)

[www.visitdenmark.com][/quot
e]

They could all have travelled to the UK and provided they are double vac'ed and took PCR's been out of self isolation in 48 hrs here - Mick did it to attend the Euro finals in July (there was some media speculation he had arrived from France only the day before). IE they would need to fly to the UK three days before the funeral. There are no restrictions on funeral numbers. The issues surround re-entering the US from the UK unless exempted from the 14 day rule - although we can all do the maths!

Date: September 14, 2021 20:06

Yeah, from what I gather, re-entering the US would not be a problem if you have been granted the "National Interest Exemption". It's valid for 12 months and for multiple entries.

[travel.state.gov]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2021 20:19

Topi
Yeah, from what I gather, re-entering the US would not be a problem if you have been granted the "National Interest Exemption". It's valid for 12 months and for multiple entries.

[travel.state.gov]

Not sure how that exemption would be applicable. Long list of qualifications to be considered, but don't believe any would apply to the band members.
[travel.state.gov]

Date: September 14, 2021 20:27

“travelers providing vital support or executive direction for significant economic activity in the United States”

I’d say they meet that requirement.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Date: September 14, 2021 20:33

OK, I just thought there had been talk on here about the band and crew getting some kind of exemption/having made visa arrangements for entry. Was it GlimmerGirl24 who wrote about that a couple of months ago, not sure.

Maybe I took it for granted! winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-14 21:12 by Topi.

Posted by: 5StringsEnuff ()
Date: September 14, 2021 22:58

God Bless and Cherish Dear Ringo, essential and underrated, then and now. However, let's not forget - and let's be grateful - that he is not the last of the Pantheon-level drummers from the Sixties still with us. Mick Fleetwood, Bill Bruford, Graeme Edge, Nick Mason, Mick Avory, Bill Ward and, of course, Kenney Jones. Mighty Fine Stick Men, all. And as for Fleetwood, Bruford and Mason, true deities.

-- 5StringsEnuff

Date: September 14, 2021 23:07

5StringsEnuff
God Bless and Cherish Dear Ringo, essential and underrated, then and now. However, let's not forget - and let's be grateful - that he is not the last of the Pantheon-level drummers from the Sixties still with us. Mick Fleetwood, Bill Bruford, Graeme Edge, Nick Mason, Mick Avory, Bill Ward and, of course, Kenney Jones. Mighty Fine Stick Men, all. And as for Fleetwood, Bruford and Mason, true deities.

-- 5StringsEnuff

A pity Bill Bruford retired at 60.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home