Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 7, 2021 19:51

MisterDDDD
Lien
angee
I was going to ask you the same question, but I figured if you knew you would have said.
Would love to know. Maybe ask the Twitter poster of the pic?

Deborah Feingold

Thanks Lien.

[www.wallofsoundgallery.com]

Thanks! Looks like she also did the back cover of Keith's book. Nice stuff.
[deborahfeingold.com]

Now I wonder who did the portrait of Charlie on the grand piano.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 7, 2021 20:07

Indeed, a very nice tribute by Nettie Baker. Probably Charlie was one of a very few people Ginger seemed to go along pretty well with - which alone says a lot what an unique person Charlie was. Everybody seemed to like and respect him as a musician and as a person deeply.

Interestingly, along these many, many beautiful tributes by many, many people even some little new details of Charlie joining the Stones are popping up. At least they've been news to me.

Just a while ago Ray Davies - in a joined Kinks tribute to Charlie - recalled that once they were having a drink, Charlie said that the Stones had asked him to join, and he wanted to know what Ray thought about it. Ray recommended it warmly and said the Stones were a great band.

Now we heard that it was Ginger Baker who had recommended Charlie for the Stones.

How much Ray's or Ginger's advices had an actual role, we don't know, but funny little details in the grand story...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-07 20:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 7, 2021 22:16

Doxa
Indeed, a very nice tribute by Nettie Baker. Probably Charlie was one of a very few people Ginger seemed to go along pretty well with - which alone says a lot what an unique person Charlie was. Everybody seemed to like and respect him as a musician and as a person deeply.

Interestingly, along these many, many beautiful tributes by many, many people even some little new details of Charlie joining the Stones are popping up. At least they've been news to me.

Just a while ago Ray Davies - in a joined Kinks tribute to Charlie - recalled that once they were having a drink, Charlie said that the Stones had asked him to join, and he wanted to know what Ray thought about it. Ray recommended it warmly and said the Stones were a great band.

Now we heard that it was Ginger Baker who had recommended Charlie for the Stones.

How much Ray's or Ginger's advices had an actual role, we don't know, but funny little details in the grand story...

- Doxa

My thoughts as well, Doxa.

This part jumped out at me from Nettie's tribute, and was curious as to the timing, mainly if Charlie had secured a "job" with the Stones prior or not yet.
A generous gesture for certain on Charlie's part.

"In 1962, Charlie had secured a coveted place in the very happening Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated, but he had heard about town that dad was at that time looking for a gig.
The following legend was told to me repeatedly by both my parents for many years to come:

Charlie said ‘Its not right me being in this band whilst such a great talent as Ginger Baker is out of work’, and with that, he abdicated the hallowed drum chair to dad, even helping him set up his kit at the first rehearsal. ‘I could hardly believe it!’ said dad. ‘On my recommendation’ said Charlie".

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: September 7, 2021 22:17

"Just a while ago Ray Davies - in a joined Kinks tribute to Charlie - recalled that once they were having a drink, Charlie said that the Stones had asked him to join, and he wanted to know what Ray thought about it. Ray recommended it warmly and said the Stones were a great band.

Now we heard that it was Ginger Baker who had recommended Charlie for the Stones."

Wasn't there connection with Mick Avory, Charlie, early Stones? If that is correct it would seem that Ray's recollection might be accurate. Maybe some of the experts have a definitive answer here on the board.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2021 23:16

MisterDDDD
Doxa

- Doxa

My thoughts as well, Doxa.

This part jumped out at me from Nettie's tribute, and was curious as to the timing, mainly if Charlie had secured a "job" with the Stones prior or not yet.
A generous gesture for certain on Charlie's part.

"In 1962, Charlie had secured a coveted place in the very happening Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated, but he had heard about town that dad was at that time looking for a gig.
The following legend was told to me repeatedly by both my parents for many years to come:

Charlie said ‘Its not right me being in this band whilst such a great talent as Ginger Baker is out of work’, and with that, he abdicated the hallowed drum chair to dad, even helping him set up his kit at the first rehearsal. ‘I could hardly believe it!’ said dad. ‘On my recommendation’ said Charlie".

Charlie sounds absolutely devious!

Imagine..."sure, take my chair in Blues Incorporated Ginger...what a talent you are! I'll just join those lowly Rolling Stones instead. I bet they won't ever even be Incorporated!".

Sly as a fox!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 8, 2021 00:09

I will always remember how the B-stage in 2006 looked as if Charlie was driving a tractor

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 8, 2021 00:30

Nikkei

I will always remember how the B-stage in 2006 looked as if Charlie was driving a tractor

[www.YouTube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-08 00:40 by Irix.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 8, 2021 02:07

[youtu.be]

Great footage from the ABC & D.

Date: September 8, 2021 03:10

Love how much of an animal lover Charlie was.
And his wife Shirley of course as well.

The mystery of Rolling Stone Charlie Watts' link to North Wales sheepdogs may have been solved
The drummer helped to pay quarantine costs for a border collie 35 years ago, it is claimed

Dave Jones, of Penmaenmawr, has shed new light on the mystery (Image: David Powell)

The mystery of the Rolling Stones' late drummer Charlie Watts' alleged links to the North Wales Sheepdog Society may have been solved.

Following his death at the age of 80 on August 24, the drummer was reported to have one been the president of the North Wales Sheepdog Society.

But the claim left members of the society bemused, as they said the musician had no connection with the group.

Now, a North Wales man says he may have got to the bottom of the mysterious claim.

Dave Jones, of Penmaenmawr, is a former secretary of the Search and Rescue Dog Association in Wales (SARDA), and travelled to El Salvador in 1986 to help earthquake victims.

Before he left, the editor of a farming magazine, which reported on sheepdog trials, donated a dog to the charity to help in the rescue operation.

When that dog - known as Meg - had to go into quarantine in the UK upon her return from El Salvador, it was Charlie Watts and his wife who reportedly picked up the bill.

Mr Jones, now 69, says this is where the rumour originated that Mr Watts was president of the sheepdog society.

The 5.7 magnitude El Salvador earthquake struck near the capital San Salvador on October 10, 1986, killing up to 1,500 people and injuring about 20,000.

Meg and another dog called Loch joined the international rescue mission and helped save a man in a collapsed three storey-building.

But, when the volunteers flew back to the UK, Mr Jones had to send Meg into quarantine at a kennels in Chester,

Mr Jones said Mr Watts and his wife then helped pay for the quarantine bills.

He said they could have been motivated by the fact that they had had nine border collies of their own, and understood quarantine laws for pets as they would travel between their London home and a French chateau.

They had also just lost one of their dogs - who was also called Meg.

Bit Mr Jones, 69, told North Wales Live that at first he hadn't believed that the rock'n'roll icon was really interested and thought he was being pranked.

How the Daily Post reported the story about Charlie Watts and his wife helping a dog in North Wales in 1986 (Image: David Powell

He said: "Dr Sheila Grew, from Anglesey, had been founder and editor of Working Sheepdog News, a border collie periodical.

"She donated Meg to me as a puppy because her son Richard (Dick) Grew was a volunteer with us at SARDA."

When they returned from El Salvador, the dogs went to the Little Creek Quarantine Kennels in Chester for six months, said Mr Jones, and the bill for Meg was about £2,000.

He said: "I had a phone call from a girl who said 'My name is Sarah and I'm the PA, or the PR, for The Rolling Stones.

"But I thought 'Come on lads!' I thought it was my mates having me on and I hung up!

"Three or four weeks later, I had another phone call from the kennels. The man said 'I've just had a cheque off The Rolling Stones!

"I politely rang the PR lady back and apologised. She said 'Don't worry about it.'"

Later, Mr Jones went on Blue Peter with Meg to talk about their exploits, and she was awarded a Pro Dog gold medal in 1987.

And does Mr Jones like The Rolling Stones?

"I love The Rolling Stones," he said.

"I've got their LPs. I always have."
[www.dailypost.co.uk]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 8, 2021 06:53

Nikkei

Green Acres

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2021 07:16

Green acres
.... no that was the Neil Young yawn tour wasnt it ...... ???

ROCKMAN

Date: September 8, 2021 13:36

Parc Richelieu, Calais, France.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Nsantoro ()
Date: September 8, 2021 17:07

Any tracks that feature a Charlie drum solo? Only one I can think of is "I Go Wild" from Voodoo Lounge.

Date: September 8, 2021 20:01

Rolling Stones site is back to normal today for the first time since Charlie's passing.
My hunch is they kept the memorial up until his funeral, but no idea really.

[rollingstones.com]

Date: September 8, 2021 21:08

The Rolling Stones
@RollingStones
·
12m
We’d love to see your favourite photos and memories of our beloved Charlie, share those, your best Stones pics & your merch on Instagram and Twitter using #mystonesmerch - view the fan wall at [digital.umusic.com]

[twitter.com]

Date: September 9, 2021 04:44

Charlie Watts photographed in NYC with his Jazz band at The Alqonquin by Barry Morgenstein.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 9, 2021 17:15

I’m still so sad about CW’s passing. It hurts and continues to do so.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 9, 2021 18:27

Over two weeks since he has passed and we still don't know what the cause was (no info on that at all?). In modern times I've never heard of a rock star passing (especially suddenly) and two weeks pass and there is no information / reason given as to what occurred.

Not saying it's a conspiracy .. but they are hiding the facts, obviously (and the world press is obliging that).

Anyone?

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 18:31 by IanBillen.

Date: September 9, 2021 18:42

IanBillen
Over two weeks since he has passed and we still don't know what the cause was what-so0ever. In modern times I've never heard of a rock star passing (especially suddenly) and two weeks pass and there is no information / reason given as to what occurred.

Not saying it's a conspiracy .. but they are hiding the facts, obviously (and the world press is obliging that).

Anyone?

Ian

Charlie was a very private man in life and it makes sense that people, media included, respect his privacy in death as well.
"Natural causes" has been reported in a couple outlets, which is not unusual given his age. I'm sure "complications due to___" will be disclosed by friends/family in due time.

Not sure who the "they" you are referring in regards to "hiding facts", but I would characterize it more as not disclosing info, which is their (family/friends) prerogative.
If he was younger, the media would be more pressing, but there is no need for that.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 9, 2021 19:24

IanBillen
Over two weeks since he has passed and we still don't know what the cause was (no info on that at all?). In modern times I've never heard of a rock star passing (especially suddenly) and two weeks pass and there is no information / reason given as to what occurred.

Anyone?

Ian

I am hugely impressed that Charlie has been accorded the dignity of absolute media privacy he would surely have wanted concerning the details of his last illness and death and a private funeral. All the publicity has centred on celebrating his extraordinary life and qualities as a man and a musician. That's what matters.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 9, 2021 19:42

Lady Jayne
I am hugely impressed that Charlie has been accorded the dignity of absolute media privacy he would surely have wanted concerning the details of his last illness and death and a private funeral. All the publicity has centred on celebrating his extraordinary life and qualities as a man and a musician. That's what matters.

thumbs up

Date: September 9, 2021 20:08

Well said Lady Jayne. I agree wholeheartedly.

Date: September 9, 2021 21:38

MisterDDDD
IanBillen
Over two weeks since he has passed and we still don't know what the cause was what-so0ever. In modern times I've never heard of a rock star passing (especially suddenly) and two weeks pass and there is no information / reason given as to what occurred.

Anyone?

Ian

Charlie was a very private man in life and it makes sense that people, media included, respect his privacy in death as well.
"Natural causes" has been reported in a couple outlets, which is not unusual given his age. I'm sure "complications due to___" will be disclosed by friends/family in due time.

Not sure who the "they" you are referring in regards to "hiding facts", but I would characterize it more as not disclosing info, which is their (family/friends) prerogative.
If he was younger, the media would be more pressing, but there is no need for that.

They meaning the Stones themselves (and media outlets). Charlie did not die from natural causes ... He was gravely ill for a while. Kenny Jones disclosed that in an interview.

In fact Kenny Jones expected Charlie to pass a good month before and was suprised he had made it to that point. Those are basically his words. It wasn't like Charlie simply died in his sleep at home. He had a bad situation going on.

I disagreed at first with this notion here but it is my belief The Stones knew
from the outset of the tour reschedule he was not going to make it .. meaning not only the tour but in living <Poor Charlie btw sad smiley >

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 21:42 by IanBillen.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 9, 2021 21:41

Manofwealthandtaste
Well said Lady Jayne. I agree wholeheartedly.

+1

Thank you.

Date: September 9, 2021 21:45

Lady Jayne
IanBillen

Anyone?

Ian

Lady Jane ... Yezzz ..

I am hugely impressed at this too. He is the only celeberity musician in this category in which nobody knows .. two plus weeks after he passed. In this day and age this scenario is unheard of.

Ian

Date: September 9, 2021 21:52

IanBillen

They meaning the Stones themselves (and media outlets). Charlie did not die from natural causes ... He was gravely ill for a while..

Yes, we are all aware that it wasn't natural causes. Was relaying the media statements.
Which, I echo the sentiments of good on 'em for honoring his privacy.
As well as the band for honoring it as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 21:55 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 9, 2021 22:37

Perfectly stated, Lady Jayne. I wholeheartedly agree and am so glad his privacy and that of his family has been respected. He lived his life with dignity and discretion and deserves to have his death treated likewise.

Date: September 9, 2021 23:11

Quite odd to notice that Charlie 's passing after two + weeks has become off - sticky on the greatest Rolling Stones site in the world. Now we know for a 100% that the Glimmer Twins are basically all about money. Thanks anyway BV, very emphatic move.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 23:15 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 9, 2021 23:36

IanBillen
MisterDDDD
IanBillen

Anyone?

Ian

They meaning the Stones themselves (and media outlets). Charlie did not die from natural causes ... He was gravely ill for a while. Kenny Jones disclosed that in an interview.

In fact Kenny Jones expected Charlie to pass a good month before and was suprised he had made it to that point. Those are basically his words. It wasn't like Charlie simply died in his sleep at home. He had a bad situation going on.

I disagreed at first with this notion here but it is my belief The Stones knew
from the outset of the tour reschedule he was not going to make it .. meaning not only the tour but in living

Ian

What on earth are you going on about again ?! Kenney ("ey" BTW) Jones NEVER said anything remotely close to that. He said two things, that he was working with Ronnie a month before the sad news so he new the situation was not good for Charlie and that he had called Ronnie after he heard the news.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 23:37 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 9, 2021 23:49

This is not our business and is the most personal of matters. Let's respect the man.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home