Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 31, 2021 13:17

Beast
Many of us will have seen the A B C and D of Boogie Woogie (the C being Charlie).

Here's the A (Axel Zwingenberger) talking about Charlie, who is also heard speaking in this piece, including in his appearance on Desert Island Discs in 2001.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

And here's Charlie as that castaway choosing the eight songs - including his favourite of them all - and the book and luxury item that he would want to have with him if stranded on a desert island:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Lovely - thanks Beast.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:05

May have already been posted elsewhere, but is anyone familiar with this recent book on Charlie or the author?
Selling well apparently after Charlie's passing.

Charlie Watts book soars onto bestseller lists after drummer's demise

New York, Aug 31 (IANS) A new book on Charlie Watts is seeing renewed interest after the passing of the Rolling Stone drummer last week. 'Sympathy for the Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters' has soared into the Top 10 of Amazon's Bestsellers List for music criticism and history, and into the Top 30 of Amazon's musician memoirs and biographies chart, according to Billboard.com.

The 264-page book was written by author and musician Mike Edison and was released on August 1, just three weeks before Watts passed away in a London hospital at the age of 80.

Watts is the sole subject of 'Sympathy for the Drummer', which tracks his career from his beginnings in London's jazz and R&B scene, to meeting his future bandmates Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and original group leader Brian Jones. Subsequent chapters explore everything from Watts' unique -- and at-times frenetic -- drumming style, to his contributions as a producer and composer, to the lasting brotherhood he forged with his beloved group members.

Watts' legacy as a drummer, and his influence on an entire generation of musicians, is also widely discussed, as evidenced by the glowing reviews the book has received from everyone from Blondie drummer Clem Burke, to Cheap Trick's Bun E. Carlos. "Charlie Watts lays it down, and the others follow," Burke writes. "He is the Law. This book explains why."

Watts' legacy as a drummer, and his influence on an entire generation of musicians, is also widely discussed, as evidenced by the glowing reviews the book has received from everyone from Blondie drummer Clem Burke, to Cheap Trick's Bun E. Carlos. "Charlie Watts lays it down, and the others follow," Burke writes. "He is the Law. This book explains why."

In press materials, the book's publisher describes Sympathy for the Drummer" as a "gonzo rush — capturing the bristling energy of the Rolling Stones and the times in which they lived — and a wide-eyed reflection on why the Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World needed the world's greatest rock 'n' roll drummer."

Watts had just exited Rolling Stones' upcoming U.S. tour to allow him time to recover from an unspecified medical procedure when he passed. The rock legends announced last week that their 'No Filter' tour will continue on as planned, and will now likely include a tribute to their longtime drummer.

The book is currently available on Amazon. An audiobook version, narrated by Edison himself is available on Audible.
[ianslife.in]

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:12

Probably because they knew for a while that he was terminally ill...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:28

Someone had linked to a podcast from the spring where the author was interviewed and it's said that book was published in 2020

Very interesting 2 part podcast too : [exchange.prx.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:32

MisterDDDD
May have already been posted elsewhere, but is anyone familiar with this recent book on Charlie or the author?

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:46

sundevil
thirty two pages is a lot of stuff to go through. where did it come from that everyone was at charlie's bedside?

It was in the statement released after his death a week ago. See page 1 of this thread.

Not "everyone" was at the bedside, only his family. I guess that basically means Shirley, Seraphina and Charlotte.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-31 17:01 by Topi.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:48

ribbelchips
Probably because they knew for a while that he was terminally ill...

What are you referring to with this message?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 31, 2021 17:15

Mr DDDD,
I posted a link to an interview with the author of that book on Charlie, Mike Edison, several posts before yours, if you scroll back.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 31, 2021 17:23

The book was okay. It will get more attention now than it deserves. I remember some mistakes and that it wasn't all that deep.

Date: August 31, 2021 17:24

That Mike Edison book is great, I read it a year or two ago. Link to a review I did of it for International Times - one of the excellent Stones books and a great, enlightening read!
http://internationaltimes.it/why-charlie-watts-matters/

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 31, 2021 18:00

Series of pieces from American Songwriter:

A World Without Charlie Watts

[americansongwriter.com]

A World Without Charlie, Part II: Out of My Head Over Charlie Watts By Marvin Etzioni

[americansongwriter.com]

A World Without Charlie Watts, Part 3: Author/Historian/Friend Harvey Kubernik on Charlie’s Impact

[americansongwriter.com]

A World Without Charlie Watts, Part 4: Thoughts on Charlie from Fellow Musicians

[americansongwriter.com]

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 19:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-31 23:02 by snoopy2.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 31, 2021 19:41

Tribute from Nick Cave:

[www.theredhandfiles.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 31, 2021 19:55

From the FB of reporter George Wolff, a cool read:

Already a million words have been written about the late Charlie Watts, but no one matches the following brief story. It's by E. Kaye Fulton, one of Canada's best magazine writers (aren't all good writers Canadian these days?).
I've been waiting for permission to share it and now EK says she's happy to see her words out there...perhaps because they were unfairly rejected (unread) by the Toronto Star during a long-ago Rolling Stones Tour in Toronto.

"Charlie Watts
(Monday, June 2, 1941- Tuesday, August 24, 2021)
To a teenager steeped in the Stones and short on life experience it wasn't hard to guess, right from the start way back in the sixties, that Charlie was the wise one. The cast of a pubescent fantasy, Mick may have been the one (or-two)-nighter; Keith, the partier to get high with; Bill, bored and boring; Brian, the tortured artiste; and, later, Ronny cool on his own yet still and always a late entry. But Charlie was the enigma in this Club of Bad Boys, stuck way back on the stage, half-hidden by his drum kit, staring off into middle distance, locked someplace else with a crooked smile on his face as the rockers in front (except Bill) pranced and minced and mugged their bad-boy stuff. Charlie was a Stone but somehow above it all - the aloof guardian who indulgently drove the beat and, at the same time, remained stylishly apart from the insane energy that swirled and spilled off the stage into the audience. Charlie, the first of the Stones to go grey, was the only adult who looked like he missed homework.
To a twenty-something newspaper reporter on a spring-like afternoon on March 5, 1977, not one Rolling Stone represented any of that fantasy. Instead, they were a collective and colossal pain. Earlier that Saturday morning, reports had drifted into the Toronto Star newsroom that Margaret Trudeau had been spotted with the Stones at the El Mocambo club on Spadina Avenue the night before and had partied post-concert with them into the wee hours at some hotel. This was a ripening scandal: Maggie was the wife of the current Prime Minister; and even more naughty, she was canoodling with Mick, or Ron, or Keith - or maybe all three - on the very night of the Trudeaus' sixth wedding anniversary. Any reporter with a whit of interest in Ottawa politics knew that Maggie was as unhinged as her fragile marriage (it would take brawny Fleet Street to convince Canadian editors of family-friendly mainstream media to make it public).
Common sense dictated that both Maggie and the Stones were long gone. But The Star newsroom was emptied to search for her at every high-end hotel in the city. Trying to think like a rich rocker teetering at the brink of established posh, I chose the 'refined' hotel on the waterfront across the street from The Star - the two-year-old Hilton Harbour Castle. There, I sat in the lobby and watched the bank of elevators, noticing that every time a burly or hung-over biker-type got into one of the elevators, other guests were shooed away. Each time, the elevator stopped at the 37th floor. I walked over to a bleary-eyed security guard and brazenly flashed a laminated tag. “Hotel security,” I said as I entered the elevator and rode it to the 37th floor.
The floor was what you’d expect to find after a rock and roll crowd invaded and then abandoned it. Beer cans and bourbon bottles and party trash littered the corridor now emptied of partiers. Hearing a television, I followed the sound to a room where a lone figure sat at the end of the bed. It was Charlie Watts, no mistake about it. Black cashmere turtle neck, unwrinkled black dress pants, heavy Rolex watch, impeccably coifed hair, the familiar crooked smile and arched eyebrow. “If you’re looking for someone, they’ve all left,” he said. “No one here but you, eh?” I chirped. “Whatcha doing?” He patted the mattress. “Watching soaps. In peace. I love American soaps,” he said. “Feel free to join me if you’d like.” Even then it was a surreal experience to watch taped re-runs of As The World Turns in a hotel room alone with a Rolling Stone. During the commercials, we’d talk about stuff. I told him I was a reporter, looking for Maggie and Mick, or maybe Ron, or maybe Keith, or maybe all three. “They flew to New York. She said she wanted to go to Studio 54. I think she was with Ronny. Or maybe Mick,” he said. This was news to me - and I thought it would or should be news to The Star desk as well. “Here, call your paper. Use my phone,” said Charlie. I told the desk editor where I was and what I had found. “I’m here with Charlie Watts. Everyone else has flown to New York.” "You’re with Charlie Who?” asked the editor. “Charlie,” I said. ‘I’m with Charlie.” I looked over at Charlie and winked. “You know, Charlie Watts. The Rolling Stone drummer.” Charlie grinned and winked back. “Do you want me to file a story?” I asked the editor. “What? No? You’re telling me my shift is over and if Mick and Maggie aren’t here I may as well go home?”
I did not go home - not until he had to pack up and catch a plane a few hours later - and I’m glad I didn’t. If I had called it a day, I would not have heard Charlie talk about his first passion, jazz, and his musical heroes Charlie Parker and Jelly Roll Morton. Or about the loves of his life, his wife Shirley whom he married in 1964 and their family. How much he enjoyed playing with and off Keith and how he thought it was amusing that he had spent so much of his life on stage looking at Mick’s ass. How he didn’t much relish the road or the frequent bickers of band life. “There’s something I’d like to know,” I told him. “Something I’ve wanted to know since the Sixties. When you stare off to middle distance when you’re drumming, where do you go?” Charlie smiled that crooked smile. “Sometimes I go into the song. But sometimes, my favourite times, I go where the drums are leading me.”
Thank you, Charlie Watts. Yes, you were, and are, the wise one. May the drums you find in the place they are leading you give you peace and joy. And all that jazz. ?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-31 19:55 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: August 31, 2021 20:25

Mentioned earlier and in the other Charlie thread, but one of my favorite in concert banter/intro memories involving Charlie was when he darted out from behind the kit to stop Mick from joking about his and Wayne Newtons recent visit together.

Mick was pointing out that the "The Midnight Idol" was in attendance, and was just starting to tell a quip about he and Charlie hanging out the day before, when Charlie darted from his seat and rushed over to Mick, whispered in his ear, effectively stopping any more jokes. Mick then pivots a bit to just introduce Charlie.

Seemed clear to me that Charlie likely knew Wayne didn't want any undo attention and Charlie made a quick dash to honor that.
At least that's how I read it winking smiley

WAYNE & WATTS

Mick Jagger called it from the stage Saturday night, telling the crowd at T-Mobile Arena that Charlie Watts had been hanging with “the Midnight Idol himself, Wayne Newton!” True. Watts visited Newton at Casa de Shenandoah on Friday and the two legends bonded over their shared interests.

“Charlie and I had a wonderful time talking about our passion for Arabian horses and antique cars,” Newton said Tuesday. “He is a great man, and a humble man, and I was honored to welcome him to the ranch.”

Indeed, Watts and his wife, Shirley, breed and raise Arabian horses on a farm in Devonshire, England. Watts toured Newton’s stables, home to about 60 horses, during his visit. Watts also checked out Newton’s collection of classic cars on the property. The vehicles and horses are part of the public tours of Casa de Shenandoah.

[www.reviewjournal.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 31, 2021 21:27

snoopy2
24FPS
Don Everly. Memories of my greatest friend, who died this year and would have been flattened by the news of Charlie. And Charlie himself. It's a tough week, still heavy.

I don't even care about the tour at this point. Maybe this will lift and I'll consider going. It will be very, very strange.

drop me an email if you'd like, have a pvt question for you, friends with one of his daughters

I see where you might have understood I was claiming to be friends with Don Everly. My 'greatest friend' is just a civilian like me, but she really liked Charlie. Still, Don's passing started off a crappy week.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 31, 2021 23:46

Wayne Newton and Charlie...

The MeTV channel ran an episode of their Ed Sullivan series last weekend that included the Stones doing "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "Satisfaction."

In the same episode was a clip of Wayne Newton singing "April Showers." This was Wayne back in the '60's, when he was this boyish kid who did throwback music for a much older audience, like "Danke Schon."

There was something weird and unworldly about him in that clip. Young Wayne was totally out of step with the times and seems like someone from another planet. Charlie in the Stones' performances, was the steady, cool, man on the drums. Like he always was.

Odd to see this same pairing today of Wayne and Charlie.

MeTV also put up a tribute slide to Charlie during the commercial breaks. Nice.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 31, 2021 23:53

^^Thanks MisterDDDD and loog. There is something about this picture.^^

Date: September 1, 2021 00:17

shattered
^^Thanks MisterDDDD and loog. There is something about this picture.^^

In the last pic above the horse looks a bit star struck by Charlie cool smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 1, 2021 00:45

loog droog
Wayne Newton and Charlie...

The MeTV channel ran an episode of their Ed Sullivan series last weekend that included the Stones doing "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "Satisfaction."

In the same episode was a clip of Wayne Newton singing "April Showers." This was Wayne back in the '60's, when he was this boyish kid who did throwback music for a much older audience, like "Danke Schon."

There was something weird and unworldly about him in that clip. Young Wayne was totally out of step with the times and seems like someone from another planet. Charlie in the Stones' performances, was the steady, cool, man on the drums. Like he always was.

Odd to see this same pairing today of Wayne and Charlie.

MeTV also put up a tribute slide to Charlie during the commercial breaks. Nice.

Yes i agree. I watched it also. I cant put my finger about his performance. Very effeminate for the times.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 1, 2021 06:45

MisterDDDD
When Charlie Watts Finally Made It to New York City
While his bandmates hit the Apollo, the reserved, jazz-loving drummer for the Stones could be found at Birdland.

By Michiko Kakutani
Aug. 30, 2021, 5:00 a.m. ET

Charlie Watts playing the drums,” his biographer wrote, “is the sound of happiness, the aural equivalent of Snoopy doing his dance of joy.”
[www.nytimes.com]

Great reading and lovely quote. Thanks for sharing, MisterDDDD!

Posted by: MannyMUC ()
Date: September 1, 2021 11:35

Posted by: Nsantoro ()
Date: September 1, 2021 17:34

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: September 1, 2021 19:45

Beast
...here's Charlie as that castaway choosing the eight songs - including his favourite of them all - and the book and luxury item that he would want to have with him if stranded on a desert island:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

From among the various Charlie video and audio I've revisited, or saw or heard for the first time in some cases, since, first the announcement he'd miss the tour, and then especially since last week, I found this BBC Feb 2001 broadcast of Charlie discussing and playing his Desert Island Discs, to be a particularly helpful 42 minutes. (Thank you Beast.)

Charlie of course can be a reticent interviewee. Many interviewers are too impatient, ill-prepared, or maladroit to get the best out of him. Sue Lawley did trot out a couple of the same old press tropes for interviewing Stones... and Charlie pooh-poohed them like he always does. He never allows himself to get snared into anything he doesn't want to say. But, overall, Lawley did an excellent job. Didn't hurt that the series' format is the guest discussing their very favorite pieces of music.

I'm certain it helped my enjoyment of the interview that I listened to it last night in a room with the lights turned off. It made him sound very present.

I couldn't recall this ever striking me particularly before, but Charlie's voice, just its sound (well-recorded, which the BBC did), is very comforting. It's obvious once one thinks about it. Calm voices soothe us. I guess I'd just never thought much about it, re: Charlie. My oversight. There is a chaotic world out there, but it's like he's simply not having it. And if you allow him, his voice can take you briefly into the little, carefully controlled spot he's carved off in it. Which is calm.

Music being sound, I guess it's natural that some musicians' voices, non-singing, even, can create moods from just their sound. Charlie's does.

Last night I knighted Charlie's voice as the most comforting-sounding from among the four Rolling Stones.

(Second place? I have to say the very specific sound of Keith's phlegmy chortle that we've heard so often as the prelude to him saying something when he's amused. (Third most comforting Stones voice... Ronnie or Mick? Dunno. Maybe Mick when he's sounding on top of some issue. We feel better when the boss sounds like he knows what he's doing.))

Finally, I also don't recall ever having heard before the 6th disc Charlie listed in this interview, which was
Ralph Vaughan Williams
The Lark Ascending
Soloist: Nigel Kennedy Orchestra: City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
VIOLIN CONCERTO/LARK ASCENDING. 

What a marvelous piece of music! I'll be listening to and enjoying that again. Which was, of course, his intent. Thanks, Charlie.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

One week on... what's your "one"?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 1, 2021 01:35

In the week that has gone by since Charlie's death, I know we are all listening and re-listening to songs with new and deeper appreciations - question - what is the one moment/ piece of music that has most affected you this past week? - for me it's the drum outro to time Waits For No One... tears in my eyes each time I hear it..

what yours?

Re: One week on... what's your "one"?
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 1, 2021 02:00

well its not a song per se but the music video for sex drive where charlie plays micks psychiatrist i don't know there is just something so funny and enduring about him in it lot of his natural charm and cool on display

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2021 02:08

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 1, 2021 02:17

Can't pick just one tune as I've been listening to Stones nearly 24/7 since Charlie passed...reminds me of when John Lennon passed away and all I listened to was Beatles and Lennon solo tunes for at least a week.

However, there's one picture that has made the biggest impression on me that was posted on Keith's instagram...speaks volumes, and still makes me sad....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-01 02:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 1, 2021 02:17

good one rockman

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2021 02:20

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home