Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 27, 2021 13:08

kovach
MizzAmandaJonez
Kovach is spot on with this idea:
“Maybe Mick or all 3 entering a dark stage and reading a short eulogy like Mick did for Brian at Hyde Park in 69 and starting the show off low-key with an acoustic melody of Salt of the Earth and Shine a Light or something before the standard video start to the main show. Maybe dedicate every show of this tour to Charlie. If they're going to carry on that might be the most fitting way.“

Loved the way The Eagles started a recent tour by strolling slowly out, playing a song from early in their career and then sitting down and telling a story to the audience.

Charlie deserves these shows to be all about him.

I also think this is it plus a few shows fir #60 as the final bows in a few select places or maybe just in London and NY?

It’s time.

You know, I think back 40 years to my first show, Charlie was the first one to walk out nonchalantly and take a seat behind the drums, the rest slowly walked out to the beginning drums of Under My Thumb...I was like, omg, I'm about to see the Rolling f*ckin Stones.

It's something I'll never forget even though I was barely 17 at the time.

My first show was at age 17 also. I've told this before so sorry if redundant. Somehow I managed to con my parents into letting me drive from Seattle to Boulder, Colorado to see the Stones. This was the Some Girls tour in 1978. I had become a pretty serious fan & I was afraid the Canadians were going to throw Keith in jail for a long time & I had to see them. I didn't share that part with the parents, haha. The show was within a few days of the show in Fort Worth, Texas that Eagle Rock put out. Listened to that show last night. Man, the boys were red hot that tour. Relatively short shows but high octane. I was lucky to see them that tour & twice on the Tatoo You tour in 1981. The next time was 1989 & things had changed radically by then. The band was a lot more raw back then, especially on the Some Girls tour.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 27, 2021 13:13

ExileFromNJ
I was there in Glendale too. Same hot day today as that day. Great show. Alice Cooper was in the sound tent next to our seats on the floor.

[www.facebook.com][0]=AZXwVV-KlnLpLXYg7nC2M0H3TaXmSTG3TzOzOAB_uqv1cbVh7tK6kCGHqRNOgXyiwTawhR8w_246hM5uYWKXt2eDKMGCIgt8Tb0ldJJuLVDm2MD3KqbZQN_eD_RLwS89Y5G0ZE7fT7-Z_HutUyNJRIEV&__tn__=EH-R

Alice cooper wrote "REST IN BEAT"

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 27, 2021 13:26

GivenToFly15
Here's the BBC segment with Stewart Copeland, for those interested in keeping it:
[we.tl]

By the way, the Honky Tonk Woman isolated drum track:
[youtu.be]

Thank you for this.

Copeland technical analysis is very interesting. Send it to Marianne journalist maybe...

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 15:24

kovach
MizzAmandaJonez
“Maybe Mick or all 3 entering a dark stage and reading a short eulogy like Mick did for Brian at Hyde Park in 69 and starting the show off low-key with an acoustic melody of Salt of the Earth and Shine a Light or something before the standard video start to the main show. Maybe dedicate every show of this tour to Charlie. If they're going to carry on that might be the most fitting way.“

Loved the way The Eagles started a recent tour by strolling slowly out, playing a song from early in their career and then sitting down and telling a story to the audience.

I also think this is it plus a few shows fir #60 as the final bows in a few select places or maybe just in London and NY?

It’s time.

You know, I think back 40 years to my first show, Charlie was the first one to walk out nonchalantly and take a seat behind the drums, the rest slowly walked out to the beginning drums of Under My Thumb...I was like, omg, I'm about to see the Rolling f*ckin Stones.

Same for me in 1981 too....I was 18...the kicker was I got to see them the very next day while still on the high from the 1st day....Sept 25/26 Philly

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:32

I’ve always thought that Charlie and Keith were particularly close - they’ve been together since Keith was a teenager and they’ve shared so much. There used to be a ‘Keith’s side’ of the stage but for years he’s been sticking pretty close to Charlie, and his book and interviews make it clear he adores Charlie. So I’ve been particularly worried about how Keith is dealing with the loss of Charlie.

I’ve always loved the instrumental track of Slipping Away, just Charlie and Keith, and have a feeling that Slipping Away will be part of Keith’s set when they next play. So… here’s to Charlie and Keith and their friendship, it was a labour of love.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:34

crholmstrom
kovach
MizzAmandaJonez

It’s time.

My first show was at age 17 also. I've told this before so sorry if redundant. Somehow I managed to con my parents into letting me drive from Seattle to Boulder, Colorado to see the Stones. This was the Some Girls tour in 1978. I had become a pretty serious fan & I was afraid the Canadians were going to throw Keith in jail for a long time & I had to see them. I didn't share that part with the parents, haha. The show was within a few days of the show in Fort Worth, Texas that Eagle Rock put out. Listened to that show last night. Man, the boys were red hot that tour. Relatively short shows but high octane. I was lucky to see them that tour & twice on the Tatoo You tour in 1981. The next time was 1989 & things had changed radically by then. The band was a lot more raw back then, especially on the Some Girls tour.

I was also 17 the first time, in 1989 - Toronto.

My favourite Stones shows were the 4 Voodoo Lounge shows I traveled to see.

In 1997 I got as close to the band as I would get, right up at the front in Buffalo.

Had a drunkenly great time at a show in Cleveland in 1999 and my fiancé and I celebrated our engagement at Ford Field in Detroit in 2002.

Saw the band a few more times after that, with my most recent (and likely final) Stones show taking place in Buffalo in July or 2015. We had a roaring good time in the parking lot of Danny's restaurant across from the stadium for several hours leading up to the show which included a couple trips into the bar at Danny's for Tequila shots. What a great night!!!

I had tickets for Buffalo last June, but alas it was just not meant to be.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:41

SomeTorontoGirl

Beautiful... thanks SomeTorontoGirl...

Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:48

Charlie's death is still a shock and still hurts now (three days later) I know we all die one day but I thought the Stones would live forever, they are all such legends and form part of the greatest band ever. lUCKILY I had the horn and privilege to see Charlie and the band live 7 times, I feel so thankful for that.

Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 16:56

I remember my first show at Murrayfield in 1999 and being so freaking excited and delirious jumping up and down about seeing the Rolling Stones and I felt the same level when I saw them for the 7th show at Twickenham 3 years ago, no other band gives that same energy and love and awesome feelings.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:35

Yeah, can't beat the buzz of seeing them take the stage by storm after (generally) a long wait, memorable times would be Stade de France 2014 for me and of course Trabendo 2012 when it was all very confusing, Mick announcing "Mesdames et Messieurs les Rolling Stones" (wait, what, was it Mick?), the roar and push of the crowd and then figuring out they were playing "Route 66", man that was something !

As for Libé, yeah their standards have slipped over the years, but they've always been the "rockingest" French daily paper (color picture of the Stones exiting the 100 Club in February 86 is a great memory) and they "know" enough people from "close to the inside" (can think of at least two) to have the correct info...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:42

SomeTorontoGirl
I’ve always thought that Charlie and Keith were particularly close - they’ve been together since Keith was a teenager and they’ve shared so much. There used to be a ‘Keith’s side’ of the stage but for years he’s been sticking pretty close to Charlie, and his book and interviews make it clear he adores Charlie. So I’ve been particularly worried about how Keith is dealing with the loss of Charlie.

I’ve always loved the instrumental track of Slipping Away, just Charlie and Keith, and have a feeling that Slipping Away will be part of Keith’s set when they next play. So… here’s to Charlie and Keith and their friendship, it was a labour of love.

That’s very nicely done STG. And a shrewd observation about Keith and Charlie. Probably accurate. I imagine Keith will take this very hard.There won’t be a dry eye in the house when he next plays this song. At a guess there will be images of Charlie on the big screens.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2021 17:55

two4fun111
kovach
MizzAmandaJonez

It’s time.

Same for me in 1981 too....I was 18...the kicker was I got to see them the very next day while still on the high from the 1st day....Sept 25/26 Philly

thumbs up

Same here - I was 18 years old in 1981 seeing my first two Rolling Stones shows at the L.A. Coliseum - Oct 9 and 11, 1981.
Opening acts were Prince, George Thorogood & the Destroyers, and the J. Geils Band...followed by....ladies and Gentlemen...THE ROLLING STONES!
Now nearly 40 years later and I can practically see it all and hear it all in my mind right now, and goes without saying those shows made an everlasting impression on me

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:09

MizzAmandaJonez
“Maybe Mick or all 3 entering a dark stage and reading a short eulogy like Mick did for Brian at Hyde Park in 69 and starting the show off low-key with an acoustic melody of Salt of the Earth and Shine a Light or something before the standard video start to the main show.

I don't think they'll choose sth this bleak : they might opt for a pre-show video (like they did in 99) consisting of a montage of Charlie's pics.
And right after the vid ends they kick-start the show with a driving number like SFM.
There's no doubt the weeping moment will come during Keef's solo spot...
"Not a dry eye in the house"? Certainly...

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:18

SomeTorontoGirl

And a wonderful labor of love it is. This is a keeper. Thank you.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:21

On a lighter note - Charlie steals this video!

Drew

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:21

SomeTorontoGirl

Just Charlie and Keith? Certainly sounds like Bill working out his part too.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:28

Dalton pays tribute to Stones' drummer Watts
Friday, August 27th, 2021 3:58pm
By Joe Ives, local democracy repor
ter

Famous resident opened village hall

Tributes poured from around the world this week following the death of Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts at 80. But a small Devon village is remembering the Stones' drummer too.

As owner of Halsdon Manor, a 600-acre sixteenth-century estate, famed for Polish Arab thoroughbreds and run by his wife Shirely, Mr Watts was Dalton's most famous resident.

A popular though rarely seen presence in the local community, by donating to local fundraising causes, the Watts were known with affection.

And this month marks the tenth anniversary of Charlie making a surprise showing to lend a hand to re-open the village hall.

Susan Jury, who was a Dalton Parish councillor at the time and is still chair Dalton Village Hall fondly, remembers the day with the “lovely” couple.

Although as prime donor only Shirley Watts had been invited as VIP guest, husband Charlie came along as support act and drummed up more publicity. “We had a bonus!” recalls Susan.

“They were the last to leave the hall on that day” she added.

But this hadn’t always been Mr Watt’s intention. According to Susan, the star sticks man had a car standing by outside because the cricket was on TV back at the manor. He’d decided that “if he wasn’t enjoying himself he was going home!”, Susan recalls.

He clearly got some satisfaction, staying on to chat to villagers.

Susan says that Mr and Mrs Watts were always “very generous” to the local community, and would be eager to support the attractive village. Their money helped pay for the village hall refurbishment.

“You’d write to them and you’d get a very nice cheque", says Susan. "They always started us off with a very nice sum.

“It got to the extent that we tried not to ask them because it gets embarrassing - you can’t keep on asking people for money!”

Martin Lock, village hall caretaker at the time, said “They never forced themselves on the village. They were always there if you needed that extra bit of help with charity or fundraising.”

As much as she was a fan of the couple personally, Susan is not quite so keen on Mr Watt’s music: “I can’t tell you what I think of The Rolling Stones! I’m not a Stones fan. I do like my Elvis.”

Dalton Village Hall is “a very big part of the community” says Susan, hosting everything from mother and toddlers events, cub scouts, coffee mornings, Sunday lunches and yoga sessions.

Charlies Watts, Rolling Stones drummer and Dalton resident who died this week, is remembered as a gentleman and good neighbour. No one ever complained about the drumming.
[www.radioexe.co.uk]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:38

Wonderful tribute from the band:

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 18:45 by Koen.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 27, 2021 18:44

JimmyTheSaint
crholmstrom
kovach
MizzAmandaJonez

It’s time.

I was also 17 the first time, in 1989 - Toronto.

My favourite Stones shows were the 4 Voodoo Lounge shows I traveled to see.

In 1997 I got as close to the band as I would get, right up at the front in Buffalo.

Had a drunkenly great time at a show in Cleveland in 1999 and my fiancé and I celebrated our engagement at Ford Field in Detroit in 2002.

Saw the band a few more times after that, with my most recent (and likely final) Stones show taking place in Buffalo in July or 2015. We had a roaring good time in the parking lot of Danny's restaurant across from the stadium for several hours leading up to the show which included a couple trips into the bar at Danny's for Tequila shots. What a great night!!!

I had tickets for Buffalo last June, but alas it was just not meant to be.

We have a 17 club going? I'm in. Norfolk VA's new-at-the-time Scope, July 5, 1972. Amazes me to this day that I was fortunate enough to witness one of America's first live looks at Sticky Fingers' and the world's first at Exile's music. Albums nobody in the world, IMO, has ever matched, before or since.

Years later when somebody asked me, were they tight that show, I realized, how TF did I know? I was just in another world the whole time... I was in the presence of the Rolling @#$%& Stones!

I found out later than that, yes, the band had been. Norfolk, Charlotte, and Knoxville had been a run of peak-performance shows by the band. We were mostly well-behaved smaller-city southern kids, and posed nearly no disruptions or distractions for the boys from their music.

The one bootleg out there of the show is pretty badly recorded, but I relish it anyway.

Still have my ticket stub.

Charlie, on the '72 tour, I think may have looked his least ever like the sensitive artist/jazzman, and his most like what one usually thinks of as a prototypical rocknroll drummer. Dude's arms on the 1972 tour looked like he'd been lifting... the guy had guns. A near-Superman on the drums.

I liked most of the various style iterations of Charlie over the decades. He looked particularly great that year, at 31.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 19:44 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Date: August 27, 2021 19:01

This is so good.

Koen

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:04

Ronnie's website has a fabulous picture up right now...

[www.ronniewood.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:10

Kurt

Ronnie's website has a fabulous picture up right now...

Ronnie posted this picture on Charlie's 80th Birthday - [Twitter.com] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:33

rs.com

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:35

24FPS
SomeTorontoGirl

Love the visuals too, ty!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 19:45

Koen

[twitter.com]

Lovely. This opened the flood gates again.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 27, 2021 20:58

So I think a about this a lot the last few days, but If the COVID rules will change (currently people from Holland are not allowed to go to the USA) I certain will make it to the US Tour and will celebrate the life of Charlie. He gave us so much joy and pleasure through alle these years, now it is time to thank him for that. The only way to do that is during a show together with Mick, Keith, Ronnie and all the others. It is still hard (and it will always be) to accept that he is not around here anymore, but his spirit will continue forever in the band we love the most. Stay strong everybody. The stones fan community is a family.

Date: August 27, 2021 21:10

Jason Isbell, Brittney Spencer Cover ‘Gimme Shelter’ for Charlie Watts
With 400 Unit drummer Chad Gamble pounding away at his kit, Isbell and Spencer summon Mick Jagger and Merry Clayton magic

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, along with Brittney Spencer, paid tribute to Charlie Watts with a thunderous performance of the Rolling Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” during Isbell’s Thursday night concert in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2021 21:37

JN99
Koen

[twitter.com]

Lovely. This opened the flood gates again.

Indeed...and some smiles too fortunately!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 21:59

[www.telerama.fr]

A great French hommage. I would translate it right now, but I'm too blue tonight. Sorry.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 27, 2021 22:10

GivenToFly15

[www.telerama.fr]

Charlie Watts, legendary Rolling Stones drummer and swing giant

His touch and elegance made him a myth. He was discreet and faithful to Jagger and Richards, Stones from the beginning, and only loved jazz, but was the ultimate rock drummer. Charles Watts, a giant of rhythm and swing, died on Tuesday at the age of 80.

Ever since the Rolling Stones announced their intention to tour without him at the beginning of August, there had been fears of bad news. The disappearance of a Stones seems such an anomaly that people still hoped for yet another death spell. That dream ended with Charlie Watts on Tuesday 24 August. In the complex configuration of the Rolling Stones, centred on a pole of "luminous twins" ("The Glimmer Twins", the nickname given to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for more than half a century) and musicians who were no less talented but who were supposed to neither write nor compose and to evolve in a somewhat condescending shadow, Charlie Watts occupied a unique place.

Humble aristocrat

Born in 1941 into a proletarian background, the irremovable drummer, present since the very beginning of the band, embodied its most aristocratic aspect as well as its most humble. This detachment and simplicity had enabled him to gain the respect of all and to establish a special bond with the audience, which always gave him the most hearty applause at the end of the concerts. Reserved, a little haughty, Charlie, who was not Jagger and Richards' friend for nothing, also knew how to cultivate his mystery - why evolve in rock when it seems to inspire such disdain? - He also knew how to cultivate his mystery - why play rock music when you seem to be so disdainful of him? - and not take himself too seriously, as shown by this performance of You Can't Always Get What You Want filmed last year, where he played... an invisible drum kit. He was a wonderful man, English to the core and with a distinction that nothing could ever break. A great drummer, too. We will support him as many times as necessary, calmly, in front of anyone. A great drummer. Charlie played very simply, with few effects, without big rolls of countless toms. Latin or reggae rhythms baffled him, and as for jazz, which he always claimed was his favourite style, his passion, he only ever played it in his spare time, as if for fun.

The refusal of any provocation

His own art was elsewhere. Listen to Route 66, the very first track on the Rolling Stones' first album, Under My Thumb, Jigsaw Puzzle, Bitch or, of course, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man. If the Stones are so great, so unique, it's because they have defined a sound, an imagery and a time-space of their own, sexy, vulgar, primitive, not intellectual for two cents, but so enjoyable. Behind his unexpressive face, his phlegm and his refusal of any provocation, Charlie Watts was the engine of the big noise, the heart of the "bigger bang", the central pivot of the "crossfire hurricane". His explosive style, he said, was inherited from his early childhood, when the blitzkrieg was raging and his nerves jangled as the bombs fell on London. Charlie Watts obsessively tracked down the power of those bangs, bams and paows on the skin of his drums and the metal of his cymbals. From jazz, he also retained the idea of swing, a strange, wobbly swing, most often a little ahead of its time and inseparable from the playing of Keith Richards, a guitarist with a ticklish ego who, for sixty years, has never ceased to pay homage to the man he considered the greatest drummer of all time. While he was primarily concerned with keeping the band on track and leaving the sophistication of the off-beat to more adventurous rhythm players, Watts no longer played collectively when the music stopped. In this way he managed to stay almost always away from the star system and the excesses cultivated by his peers. Perhaps uniquely in the history of rock, he was married for fifty-seven years to the same woman, Shirley, and even seems to have been faithful (with one exception, according to Bill Wyman).

A loaf of bread in the chin

He was also heroically sober for a long time, waiting for the 1980s, when everyone had switched to jogging and aerobics, to self-destruct alone with cocaine, heroin and alcohol and then everything. also solitary, face his demons and overcome them. An eccentric among eccentrics, Charlie Watts, who assumed his gray hair and precocious baldness, tirelessly crunched in notebooks his hotel rooms for decades and without much conviction adopted the funk and disco rhythms that Jagger imposed on him before sticking to him. a pain in the chin when the latter, a little too tipsy, had the boldness to call him "his" drummer (the anecdote obviously comes from Keith Richards, the most hardened cowhide when it comes to about his alter ego, and whether Charlie added something like: "Never forget you're just my singer"). And this is how Charlie Watts, seemingly unaffected, became a rock legend without ever destroying a palace room, doing horrors to groupies or playing king of the junkies, lord of the joggers. A reasonable man in a crazy world, his greatest folly was probably spending most of his life playing music he said he didn't like very much, with people whose lifestyle he didn't appreciate at all. That's why, as he grew up and got older, we became so attached to Charlie Watts. Like him, we know, and have known for a long time, that it's all just rock'n'roll, cardboard from which we've seen the other side a hundred times, the tricks, the compromises and all the lost innocence. But for Watts to still believe in it, knowing all this, was to see much further ahead. Perhaps to go back to that first big noise. To the blues, to the original passion. To enjoyment, despite everything. To say goodbye to Charlie Watts, I would like to add that he was the only Rolling Stones I met one evening on my way to a concert at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées. He appeared to me as the very image of a gentleman, elegant, friendly and smiling. I don't remember the concert well. But I will never forget that unexpected dazzle and that simple happiness, to have met Charlie Watts and to have felt all the charm that emanated from him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 22:40 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home