Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:15

Not in the US apparently.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:40

Bastion
Reading reports here on IORR of my last Stones show - Edinburgh 2018. This photo taken by Hendrik Mulder really got me.

Absolutely gorgeous, and so poignant and sadly appropriate.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:41

I want to thank Bjornulf for this forum and allowing me to return to it in this terrible time. I have been reading all of your posts and article links and have been trying to comprehend and come to grips with the death of Charlie Watts.

This is the place, IORR, where I lived and breathed and nurtured my love for this band. For decades. This is the place, IORR, where I have learned so much over the years. And this is the place, IORR, where I feel a kinship to all you crazy wonderful fans of The Rolling Stones. Of course I felt the need to come back.

I have seen 33 Rolling Stones shows. From the Pontiac Silverdome November 30, 1981 up to the Miami Florida hurricane show on August 30, 2019. Charlie Watts ruled them all. Lucky Dip pits, Super Bowl Halftime, Toronto SARS gig and the rail in Austria. Churchill Downs, Los Angeles Coliseum, and the Aragon Ballroom. MSG too. I live a charmed life and am so very grateful to have witnessed the greatness of Charlie Watts so many times in so many wonderful places with so many wonderful people.

Over the years, I have gravitated to different members of the band to call my “favorite.” I have had Keith years, Mick years and lots of Ronnie years. But in all honesty, I probably could never have answered that “Charlie” was my favorite in any given phase of my fandom.

Yet, HE WAS ALWAYS THERE. ALWAYS COOL. ALWAYS SOLID. ALWAYS THERE.
He was always there.

We all have so many sweet memories of him behind that unassuming kit. His sly grins, his bashfulness, his loving waves and his socks. The man wore some SWEET socks! I am heartbroken at the thought of never seeing him again.

Today, I do not feel like ever seeing another Stones concert again. All of my tour memories contain Charlie Watts. I do not judge others and hope that you all are content with your decisions on whether or not to see the band live again.

I love The Rolling Stones.
God Bless Charlie Watts and my sincere condolences to his family and close friends. I pray that you all find peace in your lives.

Thank you Charlie, you are my favorite Rolling Stone.

Date: August 27, 2021 02:50

Has anyone seen anything from Bill?

I have scrolled through most of the pages maybe I am missing something.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:54

georgemcdonnell314

[billwyman.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:55

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:55

Appears they also closed the Carnaby store to honor Charlie.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:56

georgemcdonnell314

He tweeted or instagramed. I forget where I saw it.

Edit: thanks bye bye johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 02:58 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 27, 2021 03:08

[www.instagram.com]

--

Lars Ulrich on Charlie Watts: ‘People Didn’t Understand How Valuable He Was’

“People sit there and go, ‘Yeah, I’m dancing along with Mick Jagger,'” the Metallica drummer says. “No, you’re dancing along with Charlie Watts”

By KORY GROW
August 26, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2021 03:44

Picked a copy of this up in Bill Wyman's auction last year.
Would love someday to see his infamous hotel sketches in a book or other format.

In 1960 a graphic arts students named Charlie Watts wrote a drew a book in tribute to his inspiration, the great jazz saxophonist Charlie Parke

Charlie Watts (2 June 1941 – 24 August 2021) left behind not just a catalogue of great music and performances but a book, too. The trained graphic designer and musician best known as the drummer with The Rolling Stones loved jazz. In 1960, he wrote and illustrated a children’s book, a tribute to Charlie Parker called Ode to a Highflying Bird.

The book begins:

“Frustrated with what life had to offer him in his hometown, he packed his whistle, pecked his ma goodbye and flew from his nest in Kansas City bound for New York.”

“I was 13 or 14 when I first heard Charlie Parker…I am what I am, thanks to this man.” – Charlie Watts

[flashbak.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 27, 2021 03:53

Beast
Very enjoyable insight/comment here from Stewart Copeland at around the 1:52 mark on Charlie's unique drumming technique and greatness:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Only just seen this post from Beast and I agree, it's a great insight/comment about Charlie, from a fellow drummer who really knows his stuff. smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2021 04:06

Just dawned on me...two years ago today, the last time I saw the Stones....
State Farm stadium, Glendale AZ - landed in the Pit w/Lucky Dips with my good friend Mike aka "Snap", and bumped in to quite a few friends I've known over the years through this site and shidoobee...
It was a great show and all around experience with the pre-parties, etc., and if that was the last time I see the Stones, so be it...I'm more than content and beyond satisfied going back to my first two shows back in '81.

Having kept up with this thread for the last couple of days, seems some people are entrenched in their opinions on whether the band should continue or not, and everyone should have a right to express how they feel.
For me, I feel it's not really my place to say or decision to make, and while I do have various thoughts about it, it seems way too early to voice an opinion as that may change with time and feelings are still raw.
They'll do whatever they think is right for them, but I imagine it must be tough. For some reason, I keep thinking it will be toughest for Keith to make the choice, though no doubt it's going to be a tough call for all of them...
One thing is absolutely certain - without Charlie, it can't possibly ever be the same. Been listening to non-stop Stones and all I'm focusing on is the drums...they're dominating every tune I listen to, and it's music to my ears.
Still a bit numb and kind of out of focus as the news seemed to come out of nowhere, but recalling all the memories, reading all the tributes, and listening to all the music is helpful....and thanks to Bjornulf for this site. thumbs up

Keep on rolling.................................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 04:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: August 27, 2021 04:21

I was there in Glendale too. Same hot day today as that day. Great show. Alice Cooper was in the sound tent next to our seats on the floor.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 27, 2021 04:27

This may have been posted before but only just seen it.

The one and only Charlie Watts. thumbs up

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 27, 2021 05:41

crawdaddy
This may have been posted before but only just seen it.

The one and only Charlie Watts. thumbs up

So nice, so genuine, so Charlie

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 06:42

Hairball
Just dawned on me...two years ago today, the last time I saw the Stones....
State Farm stadium, Glendale AZ - landed in the Pit w/Lucky Dips with my good friend Mike aka "Snap", and bumped in to quite a few friends I've known over the years through this site and shidoobee...
It was a great show and all around experience with the pre-parties, etc., and if that was the last time I see the Stones, so be it...I'm more than content and beyond satisfied going back to my first two shows back in '81.

Having kept up with this thread for the last couple of days, seems some people are entrenched in their opinions on whether the band should continue or not, and everyone should have a right to express how they feel.
For me, I feel it's not really my place to say or decision to make, and while I do have various thoughts about it, it seems way too early to voice an opinion as that may change with time and feelings are still raw.
They'll do whatever they think is right for them, but I imagine it must be tough. For some reason, I keep thinking it will be toughest for Keith to make the choice, though no doubt it's going to be a tough call for all of them...
One thing is absolutely certain - without Charlie, it can't possibly ever be the same. Been listening to non-stop Stones and all I'm focusing on is the drums...they're dominating every tune I listen to, and it's music to my ears.
Still a bit numb and kind of out of focus as the news seemed to come out of nowhere, but recalling all the memories, reading all the tributes, and listening to all the music is helpful....and thanks to Bjornulf for this site. thumbs up

Keep on rolling.................................

my last as well and also in the Pit.. one of my favorite shows of the tour, I remember Get Off of My Cloud, Mick laughing at a miscue during Midnight Rambler, and a Brown Sugar that kept going and going.. AND meeting you for the first time in front of the hotel

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 27, 2021 07:38

Where we go from here will come down to one thing- how the band sounds.

Mick usually gives his standard answers to every question and just tries to get an interview done as quickly as possible so you don’t get much out of him but I remember years ago he was asked “ how will you know when you should quit?”
He said something that stuck with me-“I’ll know, I’ll see it on the tape “
When Bill left they weren’t as good but still a great band.
There is no question they won’t be as good without Charlie but what we’re gonna find out this fall is , are they still viable by their own standards.?

If not, there won’t be some big announcement, you’ll just have records coming out and no tours.
If they like how they sound you’ll probably see them playing live a few more years.
It’s best to remember these guys put their entire lives into this band.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 08:14

The Liberation article is wrong at least on Charlie's birthday (1941 and not 1951). Regarding the cause of death, I seriously doubt a French journalist would have known what the family wants to keep private at this time. And i say that as a French citizen winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 08:16 by GivenToFly15.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 27, 2021 08:29

I miss him terribly. The coolest cat ever. I'm sure he's playing with his idols now and shopping at the ultimate tailors' shops.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 08:34

A great article, in French.

[www.marianne.net]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 27, 2021 08:44

I was listening to Big Hits tonight (High Tide and Green Grass--I completely missed the puns until now . . . ), and reading Oldham's blurb--

"The drums were always Charlie Watts."

Yes, I know they were occasionally Jimmy Miller, etc., but in every way that mattered, the drums were always Charlie.

Date: August 27, 2021 09:39

powerage78
A great article, in French.

[www.marianne.net]

"médiocrité solitaire" : very well put for the journalist, actually.

Date: August 27, 2021 10:21

Here's the BBC segment with Stewart Copeland, for those interested in keeping it:
[we.tl]

By the way, the Honky Tonk Woman isolated drum track:
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 10:22 by GivenToFly15.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 27, 2021 11:02

GivenToFly15
The Liberation article is wrong at least on Charlie's birthday (1941 and not 1951). Regarding the cause of death, I seriously doubt a French journalist would have known what the family wants to keep private at this time. And i say that as a French citizen winking smiley

It also says he joined the band in 1962 so I am not viewing it as a well researched or informed article.

Date: August 27, 2021 11:19

Exactly...

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 27, 2021 11:29

GivenToFly15
By the way, the Honky Tonk Woman isolated drum track:
[youtu.be]

That's Jimmy Miller winking smiley

Date: August 27, 2021 11:42

I thought the cowbell was Jimmy Miller and the drums Charlie?

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 27, 2021 12:16

Exactly...

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 27, 2021 13:08

It's been a long time since I was last here... Although I'm a guitarist myself, I always thought that Charlie was the coolest man in rock 'n' roll. Thank you Charlie. Thank you for all the magnificent drumming and your exquisite style.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 27, 2021 13:08

GivenToFly15

Add to that the fact that "Libe" is a completely crappy, useless, and unreliable daily...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home