Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:58

snorton
It wasn't supposed to be Charlie..in all my negative thoughts, it was never Charlie.

Same here. For some reason, I always thought it was going to be Charlie who outlived the rest.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:30

RIP Charlie - Thanks for all you did over the last 55+ years. You will be missed, but have comfort you are with Brian and Stu and reforming the early band...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 05:06 by 2000 LYFH.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:37

I've just watched the BBC tribute to our dear Charlie on UK BBC TV, but let's give our thoughts as well to Bjornulf in Mexico, till the first gig in USA on September 26th.
Away from his family back home, and away from being at a Rolling Stones gig without our beloved Charlie.

Let's all try to keep our Sad, Sad loss at our beloved Charlie a bit easier for BV, to keep all our comment's on our feelings at this time just on this main thread.
There seems to be loads of threads relating to our Charlie, but I know it must be easier for BV to be all on the Charlie thread.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:40

Damn, I keep getting emotional and choked-up, especially reading tributes. I did not expect this.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 26, 2021 02:54

The Uniform Cool of Charlie Watts

With his Savile Row suits, custom shirts and jazzman’s assurance, the Rolling Stones drummer staged his own quiet rebellion.

Mr. Watts in 1989.Credit...John Stoddart/Popperfoto, via Getty Images

By Guy Trebay
Aug. 25, 2021

“Style is the answer to everything,” Charles Bukowski, of all people, once said in a lecture that’s still afloat in the ether of YouTube. Swigging Schlitz from a bottle, the pockmarked laureate of the underground discoursed on one of the few traits that, as is well known, one may possess though never acquire.

Bullfighters have style and so do boxers, Bukowski said. He had seen more men with style inside of prison than outside its walls, he also somewhat questionably asserted. “To do a dull thing with style is preferable to doing a dangerous thing without it,” he then added — and that much, at least, seems indisputable.

Nobody ever accused the Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, who died Aug. 24 at 80, of dullness. Yet so granitic and unshowy was he relative to his preening bandmates — in their face paint, frippery and feathers — that it was easy to be distracted from the ineffable Watts cool that anchored the Stones sound and that drew on a lineage far older than rock.

Well before joining what is generally called the world’s greatest rock ’n’ roll group, Mr. Watts, a trained graphic artist who learned to play after giving up banjo and turning the body of one into a drum, was a seasoned sessions player. He considered himself at heart a jazzman; his heroes were musicians like Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Lester Young and phenomenal pop crooners like the unfairly forgotten Billy Eckstine.

He studied famously natty dressers like Fred Astaire, men who found a style and seldom deviated from it throughout their lives. A famous story about the Stones describes them starving in order to make enough money to recruit a drummer then in no great rush to join the band. “Literally!” Keith Richards wrote in “Life,” his excellent 2010 memoir. “We went shoplifting to get Charlie Watts.”

Mr. Watts was expensive then and, as it happened, chose for himself an image that seldom looked otherwise. “To be honest,” he once told GQ. “I have a very old-fashioned and traditional mode of dress.”

When his bandmates Mick Jagger and Mr. Richards began peacocking in Carnaby Road velvets, secondhand glad rags from Portobello Road, Moroccan djellabas, boas, sequined jumpsuits and dresses plucked from the wardrobes of their wives or girlfriends, Mr. Watts continued to dress as soberly as an attorney. And when, in the late 1970s, Mr. Jagger and Mr. Richards began adding suiting to their wardrobe, their selections tended to feature nipped waists, four-lane lapels, checkerboard patters or Oxford bag trousers from the brilliant and flamboyant upstart Tommy Nutter.

“I always felt totally out of place with the Rolling Stones,” Mr. Watts told GQ, at least in style terms. Photographs appeared of the band with everyone else wearing sneakers and Mr. Watts in a pair of lace-ups from the 19th-century Mayfair shoemaker George Cleverley. “I hate trainers,” he said, meaning athletic shoes. “Even if they’re fashionable.”

Perhaps in some ways Mr. Watts was just ahead of the other Stones and the rest of us in purely style terms — more evolved in his understanding of convention and how stealthily to subvert it, a bit like a jazz musician improvising on core melodies. There may even have been something punk in his determination early on to forgo the likes of Mr. Nutter and instead patronize some of the more venerable Savile Row tailors, places still so discreet in the 1970s that they often had no signs on their doors. It was his brilliance to mold what those tailors did to his own assured tastes.

Take, for instance, the 1971 Peter Webb images — lost for 40 years before rediscovery in the past decade — depicting the young Mr. Watts and Mr. Richards from “Sticky Fingers” at the very height of their fame. Mr. Richards is fabulously attired in zippered black leather, graphically patterned velvet trousers in black-and-white, a contrast-patterned shirt, a custom leather bandoleer belt and buccaneer shag. Mr. Watts, by contrast, is wearing a three-piece suit with a six-button vest in what appears to be stolid burgomaster’s loden.

Or take the double-breasted dove gray morning coat the mature Mr. Watts is seen wearing in another shot of himself and his wife, Shirley, at Ascot. (The couple bred Arabian horses.) Beautifully cut for his compact frame (he was 5-foot-8), it is worn with a pale pink waistcoat and tie, a shirt whose rounded collars are pinned beneath the knot, a style he first glimpsed and copied from the cover of Dexter Gordon’s imperious jazz classic “Our Man in Paris.”

Each of those suits was bespoke, the latter stitched by H. Huntsman & Sons, a Savile Row institution that has been dressing British swells since 1849. Theirs was one of just two tailoring companies Mr. Watts worked with throughout his life.

“Mr. Watts was one of the most stylish gentlemen I’ve had the pleasure of working with,” said Dario Carnera, the head cutter at Huntsman, in an email. “He imbued his own sartorial flair in every commission.” He ordered from the establishment for more than 50 years, the craftsman added. (In the Huntsman catalog there still exists a fabric — the Springfield stripe — of Mr. Watts's design.)

By his own rough estimate, Mr. Watts owned several hundred suits, at least as many pairs of shoes, an all-but-uncountable quantity of custom shirts and ties — so many clothes, in fact, that, inverting a hoary sexist cliché about fashion, it was his wife who complained that her husband spent too much time in front of the mirror.

Mr. Watts seldom wore any of his sartorial finery onstage, however, preferring the practicality and anonymity of short-sleeved dress shirts or T-shirts for concerts or tours. It was in civilian life that he cultivated, and eventually perfected, a sartorial image as elegant, serene and impeccable as his drumming.

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: August 26, 2021 02:59

We are all shocked and devastated to lose Charlie. I feel broken. There has been no man finer, more elegant and more beautiful to walk the Earth than Charlie Watts. All Class. As a musician, his timing and beat were impeccable, his touch delicate yet so powerful. His sense of what and what not to play was unsurpassed. It has been the honor of my life to have played with him over the last 40 years, and to have called him a friend. My heart goes out to his beautiful family.

My sincere thanks to all that have sent condolences to me. Far too many for me to answer individually, but you know who you are.

With love,
Chuck Leavell

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:15

Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80 new
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:07

dkwalika
Great to be among folks who get it, who understand this loss.

I appreciate that people still want to see this tour, but I don't know if I will ever see them again, under the "Rolling Stones" name. I'd see Mick solo or Keith on a tour with the Winos, but it ain't the Stones anymore for me.

Soundtrack of my life since 1964 and still is, till I'm done.

Thanks, Charlie.
Sorry but do you think the Stones will still go on for decades? I am convinced now more than ever, that the Stones will respect the dates of their scheduled concerts and maybe they will do some dates to celebrate their 60th anniversary, but if they do, there will be few dates and that is the last time we will have the chance to see them again and listen to them again on stage, unfortunately without Charlie.
I would go right away ... I know it will be different without Charlie, but it's still Mick, Keith and Ronnie and their family of musicians for the last time. I think Charlie would approve ...

i don't know about decades but mick probably will for longer then next year i don't know about keith but ronnie probably will to as long they physically can, fans want to see them, and money is to be made but for the love god show some taste mick and change the bands name

Date: August 26, 2021 03:16

This pretty much says it all.

Take a read. It sure will make you think about the rest of them:

[www.msn.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:19

video: [drive.google.com]

in tribute to charlie from his last show in miami in 2019

edit
(sorry new to google drive set it share so now everyone can access it and download it)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 04:47 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: August 26, 2021 03:32

Last night at "Springsteen On Broadway":

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: titzou ()
Date: August 26, 2021 03:41

[www.instagram.com]

brianmayforreal

Sad sad news in the passing of Charlie Watts. Oh Lord. Deepest sympathies to his family - and to Keith, Mick and Ronnie to whom he was certainly beloved family. First picture is as I remember him, smiling and calm - from the Rolling Stones Facebook page. The second picture here is from a session I did with Charlie some years ago - the song was “Reaching Out” - with Paul Rodgers on vocal, Andy Fairweather-Lowe on rhythm guitar and myself on electric guitar. It was a lovely moment. For some people this might be a cliché - but in Charlie’s case it’s the absolute truth - he was the nicest gent you could ever meet. And such a pillar of strength for the Rolling Stones - to whom he brought a touch of Jazz and a mountain of pure Class. Bless you Charlie. Rest in Peace and Rock on. Bri

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 26, 2021 06:04

That picture from Chuck on the “b stage” reminds me… those were some of the best moments from the 2019 tour. A bit manufactured with off stage musicians playing and singing. but it was glorious, including Charlie on his smaller kit, swinging away as only he could. In Seattle, we got Sweet Virginia and Dead Flowers, and it was 10 minutes of heaven.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: August 26, 2021 07:55

Kovach is spot on with this idea:
“Maybe Mick or all 3 entering a dark stage and reading a short eulogy like Mick did for Brian at Hyde Park in 69 and starting the show off low-key with an acoustic melody of Salt of the Earth and Shine a Light or something before the standard video start to the main show. Maybe dedicate every show of this tour to Charlie. If they're going to carry on that might be the most fitting way.“

Loved the way The Eagles started a recent tour by strolling slowly out, playing a song from early in their career and then sitting down and telling a story to the audience.

Charlie deserves these shows to be all about him.

I also think this is it plus a few shows fir #60 as the final bows in a few select places or maybe just in London and NY?

It’s time.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: August 26, 2021 07:57

Scorsese filming only Charlie for JJ Flash here is cool

[youtu.be]

Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 08:38

My logical brain tells me how stupid it is to grieve someone who I didn't know personally. A "celebrity millionaire", etc.

I just watched those Scorsese videos and it feels like my heart is broken.

As fans, we were so lucky to experience Charlie Watts and The Rolling Stones.

We truly shall not see his like again.

I grieve with you all.

I celebrate his life with you all.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 08:41

That is very well done. Thanks!

ProfessorWolf
video: [drive.google.com]

in tribute to charlie from his last show in miami in 2019

edit
(sorry new to google drive set it share so now everyone can access it and download it)

Date: August 26, 2021 08:44

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 26, 2021 08:47

georgemcdonnell314
This pretty much says it all.

Take a read. It sure will make you think about the rest of them:

[www.msn.com]

Charlie was the silent hit man you’d never notice until he put you away.

Damn!

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: August 26, 2021 09:24

I imagine this has already been posted on here, but in case it hasn’t, here’s an interview with Charlie I just watched. Charlie’s enthusiasm and excitement when discussing music is really great in this

[youtu.be]

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 26, 2021 10:46

timmyj3
He shared: "I called him [Ronnie] immediately after I found out, he answered straight away, I said, 'I'm sorry.' We both knew it was going to happen, but Ronnie said, 'We knew it was going to happen but it doesn't matter how much you prepare for it, you're never prepared.'"

Interesting comments from Kenny Jones.

Very interesting. It suggests they knew that Charlie was going to die. Did something happen in the tree weeks between the band's statement about Charlie's not touring and his death? Or dit they knew it back then that he wasn't going to survive?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 26, 2021 11:06

shattered
Cristiano Radtke
shattered
VoodooLounge13
Still up. It’s after 3am and the shock of this still is numbing me.

Me too. I log off then back on. I still can't believe this.

And me as well. I'm stil shocked and gutted about this terrible news like most, if not all of us.
It was always a joy to see Charlie having fun on stage and those memories I'll cherish forever.
My thoughts are with his family, bandmates and friends.
Thank you for the music Charlie!

Christiano, good to hear from you and hope you are ok.

Thank you, I hope you're ok too!

Reading all the memories and tributes to Charlie that are coming on IORR and all over the internet may help us deal with this terrible loss.

This video of Charlie's reaction to the audience cheering him on the very first Stones concert in Brazil was a very pleasant surprise to me because not only I've never watched it before but also because it was my very first Stones concert.

This screencapture says it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 11:13 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 26, 2021 11:22

Looks like he's wiping off a tear, but probably not?

Another Scorsese CharlieCam video [m.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 26, 2021 11:23

The yellowpress is trying to dictate the narrative. All they really have is this:

"a source said: “It goes without saying” that the band would play the No Filter tour, which was derailed last year by Covid.

He said: “They will want to honour him and celebrate his amazing musical legacy. They will want to do Charlie proud.”"

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 26, 2021 11:53

hi everyone...yesterday I was in the city of Boston--after a year of being in the boondocks of rural New Hampshire--and marveling at the people and buildings and general level of energy and activity, the vibrant green trees and grass in Boston Common and the swirl of humanity. Got a text from a friend who's, I guess you'd say, a "casual fan" of the Stones and who knows I am more than a "casual" fan. The text said--and I could sense sort of breathy excitement of someone pleased to be breaking the scoop--"Did you hear? Charlie Watts!" I said aloud to the air "Oh shit." And texted "Tell me it's good news." But alas...

There are times when things seem to stand still like in a movie--and sometimes it's because something amazing's happened and sometimes it's the opposite. That happened to me, standing there, in what 30 seconds before was vibrating with positivity, and I looked around, and no one knew...everything was the same for them...looked around, and no one knew.

I made it through the day and last night talked to good friends who are simpactico on the topic of the Stones, and tonight connected with a friend on Facebook and talked about Charlie and the fact he's not here on the Earth with us anymore...and he mentioned he'd been over here on IORR...

I was torn because I knew if I came over here to IORR I would cry again--and even more, perhaps, than I have so far (driving back to the New Hampshire sticks I listened to Exile twice through). But so many names here on IORR, familiar names from throughout the years, friends not seen and also not forgotten, we all have this bond---we all get what this means. Even when in the supermarket today I looked around for anyone to say to "OMG....Charlie's gone" but it wasn't in anyone's reality there but mine.

And here on IORR, with you friends in the Stones, so sweet to read your thoughts and feelings and how hard this has hit you too.

It's funny--I've learned the past years how differently people deal and grieve--and here on IORR is no exception.

I can barely really even say how I feel about Charlie's dying...I cannot even express what this means, or what Charlie's playing has meant...it's so deep, and I am so, so sad and feeling a sort of thud in the solar plexus.

Some people are already eloquent and I appreciate that. Some people are emotionally tongue-tied like me. Some people feel better reading articles or reading what Elton John or the Go-Gos or Bill Clinton have to say about Charlie (I don't care but I appreciate that the fact of their posting tributes is meaningful to others). But what means most to me--and I read every one of the 25 pages--is just the posts from people who are speaking from their hearts right now, whatever comes out--and knowing we're here for each other, and even when you might be somewhere where few or no people have any idea what a profound hit this is--IORR is a place (better, for me, for some reason, than social media) where we're gathering as a sort of tribute in itself for Charlie.

To everyone here, I'm so sorry for your loss...can't even imagine how much it hurts for his family, friends, and colleagues.

Here's a blurry photo I took in 2013. I love Keith and Charlie's arms

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 26, 2021 12:13

A tribute from a scottish duo.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 12:34

gwen
A tribute from a scottish duo.

[www.youtube.com]

They don't sound Scottish (I'm a Scot myself) but this is in Scotland, at the Edinburgh fringe festival. A very nice tribute though. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 15:22 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 26, 2021 12:41

Doxa
No Charlie, No Stones.

No Doxa.

No anything.

I hate the words 'love' or 'god' for their American nonsense and bullshit use but oh god, I truely loved that man.

- Doxa

Doxa, I have always loved your posts for god's sake...don't go away!

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 12:51

I post far more on Shidoobee, but I often read the posts here.
I just wanted to extend my condolences to everyone. This has come as such a shock (even though we knew it was a possibility), and I am still trying to process it.
Reading posts from other fans has helped me personally. I hope everyone else is finding comfort too.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 26, 2021 13:18

ribbelchips
timmyj3
He shared: "I called him [Ronnie] immediately after I found out, he answered straight away, I said, 'I'm sorry.' We both knew it was going to happen, but Ronnie said, 'We knew it was going to happen but it doesn't matter how much you prepare for it, you're never prepared.'"

Interesting comments from Kenny Jones.

Very interesting. It suggests they knew that Charlie was going to die. Did something happen in the tree weeks between the band's statement about Charlie's not touring and his death? Or dit they knew it back then that he wasn't going to survive?

I think you can read that quote in two ways. Either they knew his illness was terminal or they are just talking about death in general.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 26, 2021 14:56

True. It can also be about death being inevitable, but the line 'we both knew it was going to happen' suggests something more specific, in my opinion...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home