Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:42

He shared: "I called him [Ronnie] immediately after I found out, he answered straight away, I said, 'I'm sorry.' We both knew it was going to happen, but Ronnie said, 'We knew it was going to happen but it doesn't matter how much you prepare for it, you're never prepared.'"

Interesting comments from Kenny Jones.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:47

CindyC
JadedFaded
Today is harder than yesterday. Today it’s real. Today the tears are flowing for this beloved man who brought us all such great musical joy.

Agree, yesterday was the shock, and just re-reading the news. Today, dealing with the loss. It's a beautiful day here in Massachusetts, and I'm in a dark room by myself staring at a computer. If someone didn't bring me food yesterday, i wouldn't have eaten. I think it's hitting us all really hard. I am sending a virtual hug to everyone that is hurting over this.

Thank you. Woke up this morning, thinking about all of this, and hoping it was a bad dream.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:51

I´ve Got One Heart And It Hurts Like Hell...

Goodbye Charlie...the pounding heart of the Stones
has stopped. I´m truly sad. It´s all over now.

--> DANKE für jeden Schlag!

On behalf of two other Stonesbrothers: We love you, man!

No Charlie, no Stones! To me anything else is a fake and a shame.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:54

It wasn't supposed to be Charlie..in all my negative thoughts, it was never Charlie.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 22:55

Does anyone have a JPG version of the drumkit photo from Keef's instagram account? I'd like to make it my computer background please.

thx,

VL13

Edit - Nevermind I dug it out from earlier in this thread!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 23:39 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:08

Charlie Watts: a rock’n’roll legend whose true love was jazz

He may have backed the world’s most successful rock band, but the late drummer worshipped his jazz heroes through big bands and other projects

Richard Williams
25 Aug 2021

The fulfilment of a childhood dream ... Charlie Watts playing with his jazz band at Ronnie Scott’s, London, 1985.
Photograph: Alan Davidson/Rex/Shutterstock

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:14

London Underground
[mobile.twitter.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:19

AIRPORTS (AND A MUSEUM) REMEMBER CHARLIE WATTS

The Rolling Stones’ drummer, Charlie Watts, died on Tuesday and several airports, including Philadelphia International Airport and Dublin Airport – and Seattle’s Museum of Flight – went into their archives to share photos.

PHLAirport

The @RollingStones have performed in Philadelphia many times in their almost 60-year career. Today, we remember the last time Charlie Watts and the band landed at #PHLAirport, for the July 2019 No Filter Tour stop at Lincoln Financial Field. #RIPCharlieWatts

Dublin Airport
·
Aug 24
The
@RollingStones
arriving
@DublinAirport
on 13 May 2018, ahead of the opening night of their No Filter world tour. #RipCharlieWatts ???? via
@Photocall_Ire

Dublin Airport
@DublinAirport
·
Aug 24
And here’s #CharlieWatts & The
@RollingStones
arriving
@DublinAirport
in September 1965 for two shows at the Adelphi Cinema. ???? by
@IrPhotoArchive

The Museum of Flight
@museumofflight
·
Aug 24
We are saddened to learn that Charlie Watts,
@RollingStones drummer and #avgeek, passed away. During their tour stop in Seattle, Charlie brought some family by the Museum for a memorable visit. Here he is getting a look at the ball turret on our B-17. #RIP

[stuckattheairport.com]

And this I posted earlier is from New Orleans Superdome

Caesars Superdome
@CaesarsDome
·
19h
We're saddened to learn of the passing of Charlie Watts, famed drummer of the
@RollingStones Recognized as one of the greatest drummers of all time, the Caesars Superdome is lit in his honor tonight. We will never forget his impact on music and the times he played the Dome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 23:19 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:39

Disturbing. I still don't know what to say, what to do, what to think and what to expect from the Rolling Stones. Another metamorphosis? It's not the first but perhaps the most painful.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:41

Mucho dolor. RIP Charlie, see you up there,

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:42

Great to be among folks who get it, who understand this loss.

I appreciate that people still want to see this tour, but I don't know if I will ever see them again, under the "Rolling Stones" name. I'd see Mick solo or Keith on a tour with the Winos, but it ain't the Stones anymore for me.

Soundtrack of my life since 1964 and still is, till I'm done.

Thanks, Charlie.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:45

The "Rolling Stones" is a brand, a company, built for perpetual business. While Mick and Keith are still alive and able they will carry on the Stones flag in my opinion. Not saying I agree or disagree with it but I believe that is the course.

Date: August 25, 2021 23:47

Yesterday when I heard the sad news I felt like being prepared - but today I realize it really hit me strong and I still cannot believe it. It's so sad..for all of us.. and even more for the family, friends and the band. My sympathy to all of you. Stay strong!

Date: August 25, 2021 23:55

Questlove on the True Genius of Charlie Watts: ‘Only Real Drummers Know’

The Roots’ drummer explains how the late Rolling Stone inspired him to play simple and steady, and how ‘Exile on Main St.’ inspired the Roots’ “The Seed”

By Kory Grow
August 25, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 25, 2021 23:59

Cristiano Radtke
shattered
VoodooLounge13
Still up. It’s after 3am and the shock of this still is numbing me.

Me too. I log off then back on. I still can't believe this.

And me as well. I'm stil shocked and gutted about this terrible news like most, if not all of us.
It was always a joy to see Charlie having fun on stage and those memories I'll cherish forever.
My thoughts are with his family, bandmates and friends.
Thank you for the music Charlie!

Christiano, good to hear from you and hope you are ok.

Date: August 26, 2021 00:04

From Gina Schock:

Hello Friends! This is Gina. We all woke up to the devastating news that our beloved Charlie Watts is gone. I’m speaking on behalf of the entire band in saying that we were all just sort of knocked off our feet in disbelief. It’s hard to comprehend that he’s actually gone. Charlie was loved by everyone and The Go-Go’s are no exception. I would like to speak on a more personal level. Charlie was my hero. He is one of the main reasons I picked up drumsticks and wanted to play. I put my headphones on and played along with my Stones records trying to lock into his beat. His playing was rock-solid, elegant, and fluid. He cut straight to the heart of the song. No bullshit, just slamming it home with machine-like precision giving it that definable Stones sound. Essentially, he was teaching me to play drums. And how incredibly lucky that so many years later, The Go-Go’s actually got to open for The Rolling Stones WOW! We were going to be playing on the same stage as our heroes. When we were doing soundcheck I started to talk to Charlie’s Drum Tech. I asked him if I could sit on his kit and he said sure. We kept the conversation going as he told me that the rug that his drum kit was sitting on was worth a fortune. The drums were a pittance in comparison. That is so Charlie Watts; loaded with class, a gentleman through and through. By the way, that rug was gorgeous. And so our band joins with the rest of the world in saying goodbye to one of the greats. Our condolences to his beautiful family, you’ll be sorely missed Charlie and you’ll never be forgotten. We are so honored to have crossed paths with you and we know that wherever you moved onto has to be a beautiful place because you deserve nothing less. -The Go-Go’s

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:16

From Marianne Faithfull:

I’m so sad to hear the news about my dear friend and colleague Charlie Watts.
My heart goes out to Shirley and Seraphina. I’ve known Charlie nearly all my life. I will miss him so much, his lovely presence and his friendship. Mx

[twitter.com]

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:43

I've been reading through most of the tributes, posts, heartfelt messages & still am sitting here stunned & trying to think of just the right words to say & just realized, they're aren't any.

I listened to Aftermath last night & Goin' Home just brought a whole new meaning to me, along with many tears.

Charlie graced us with his music for so long that I can't imagine him not being there for us or us for him... but he'll be there in Stones spirit.

Since my significant other doesn't understand my feelings right now, I'm so grateful to have this board & all you wonderful fans to share thoughts with. And much thanks & Stones-love to BV for creating this wonderful Stones "home" for us to share.

Peace & love to all whose hearts have a huge void in them!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:53

Even after a day it still has not sunken in totally. I think I'm doing fine, then I come here and read these posts and break up all over again. All I can continue saying is a thank you to the guy who brought me so much joy and taught me how to play the drums--even tho I'm a guitar player.

We'll all miss you Charlie.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 26, 2021 00:55

Don't know if this article has been posted before, but the body language says it all.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next day Mick and Charlie were just like the life long friends they have always been. thumbs up
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:01

Still having trouble accepting this.
We all know he was 80 and someday this was going to happen, but Charlie and The Rolling Stones have meant so much to me, my friends and my family. I have met so many wonderful people all around the world at Stones shows -- the days surrounding the shows were always such a celebration of life, art, music and The Rolling Stones.

Sincere condolences to Charlie's family and friends. Thank you for sharing this wonderful man with us for so many years.

Rest easy Charlie -- keep laying down that groove and make heaven swing.

]

Charlie Watts - 5 August 2019 - East Rutherford, NJ (a photo I took of him at my last Rolling Stones show)

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:07

dkwalika
Great to be among folks who get it, who understand this loss.

I appreciate that people still want to see this tour, but I don't know if I will ever see them again, under the "Rolling Stones" name. I'd see Mick solo or Keith on a tour with the Winos, but it ain't the Stones anymore for me.

Soundtrack of my life since 1964 and still is, till I'm done.

Thanks, Charlie.
Sorry but do you think the Stones will still go on for decades? I am convinced now more than ever, that the Stones will respect the dates of their scheduled concerts and maybe they will do some dates to celebrate their 60th anniversary, but if they do, there will be few dates and that is the last time we will have the chance to see them again and listen to them again on stage, unfortunately without Charlie.
I would go right away ... I know it will be different without Charlie, but it's still Mick, Keith and Ronnie and their family of musicians for the last time. I think Charlie would approve ...

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:11

Was in bits yesterday. But have been blown over with the fantastic messages etc

Some of the celebrities ones I would have never had imagined. Just goes to show what a talented and a lovely down to earth guy.

Date: August 26, 2021 01:23

The Unflappable Greatness of Charlie Watts

The Rolling Stones drummer, who died Tuesday at age 80, was a mesmerizing, suave force of coolness amid all the rock ’n’ roll chaos that surrounded him

By Rob Harvilla Aug 24, 2021

[www.theringer.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:27

Watching The Rolling Stones at the BBC, on UK BBC 2 and a tribute to Charlie.

Haven't seen it for a year or two and great stuff, and a great tribute to our beloved Charlie. thumbs up

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:29

Very enjoyable insight/comment here from Stewart Copeland at around the 1:52 mark on Charlie's unique drumming technique and greatness:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:30

GS1978

]

Charlie Watts - 5 August 2019 - East Rutherford, NJ (a photo I took of him at my last Rolling Stones show)

Fantastic shot... there's something about viewing a picture of someone from the back that gives your mind more to ponder. May the Good Lord Shine a Light on him!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:40

The New Yorker magazine:

[www.newyorker.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:45

wineaux
GS1978

]

Fantastic shot... there's something about viewing a picture of someone from the back that gives your mind more to ponder. May the Good Lord Shine a Light on him!

Yes great shot - three angels hovering and dancing in the sky while looking down and listening intently to Charlie and the Stones.....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:49

In Dallas, Georgia.. (had no idea Charlie had a street named for him).

[twitter.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home