Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Date: August 25, 2021 08:44

Charlie

Thank you for the pleasure of listening to your wonderful contribution to the world's greatest rock and roll band for the past fifty years (and hearing you play live 4 times)

May you rest in peace - you will be remembered forever

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 25, 2021 08:44

Thought I was done crying then I saw this:

[www.youtube.com]

These guys have been playing together since they were @#$%& kids. 60 @#$%& years! That just doesn't happen with anyone. Listen, its gonna be a blow when Mick and Keith also pass on, but I think I've always been afraid of this one because Charlie is such the heart and engine of this band and he's the unspoken coolest one still there from the original lineup. Mick and Keith are always out there, Charlie was that unspoken guy that was still there. Its so sad. This intro got me too. Again, these guys are old farts now, but they've been friends for 60 years. There's just something you can't replace there, and now a huge element of that is gone:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 25, 2021 08:49

tiffanyblu
Sighunt
tiffanyblu
Stones have already jumped to place 29 on the top digital artists in the world, people paying tribute to Charlie. More to come of course with Spotify etc today.

RIP

It has been gratifying reading all the various articles on-line coming from a variety of publications paying tribute to Charlie like this one. Really nice to see.

[www.yahoo.com]

Agree it has been very warming

Place 25 and rising

Posted by: hobshobs1 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 09:00

From the boys over on E Street:

As much as Mick's voice and Keith's guitar, Charlie Watts' snare sound is the Rolling Stones. He's a great example of the kind of power and character a great drummer can bring to his band, deepening not only the physical force of the music, but also the depth of emotion and heart the songwriter gets out of his characters. When Mick sings "It's only rock 'n' roll but I like it," Charlie's in back showing you why!

Bruce Springsteen, May 1991

-----

Oh no! This is terribly shocking. Not just one of greatest drummers in one of the greatest bands of all time, but a gentleman’s gentleman. He singlehandedly brought the Rock world some real class. Rock and Roll will miss him profoundly. We are significantly less without him.

Stevie Van Zandt 24th August 2021

-----

RIP Charlie my darling.

Garry Tallent 24th August 2021

-----

A monumentally sad day learning my personal hero Charlie Watts has died. I'm devastated and my soul aches for Shirley, Serafina, the extended Watts family, and of course his band mates. I don't know what to say really. Charlie Watts Rest In Peace my friend.

Max Weinberg 24th August 2021

-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 09:01 by hobshobs1.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: August 25, 2021 09:09

RIP Charlie.
I've been listening to your music since the mid 70s.
Thanks for all the great times you've given me.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: August 25, 2021 09:39

For a man known for his keen sense of humor by his friends, it's appropriate his last gig was playing air drums to all of our enjoyment and surprise.

I've been on a road trip with my son driving 4000 miles in the past few weeks and we've literally only been listening to Exile, over and over and over, still fresh after like 50x.. My son said last week "he never plays to fast, if anything it may be a bit slow, but its never too slow....it's Charlie Watts."

So true, so perfect.

Steve Jordan has his work cut out for him, tough gig to fill those shoes, but if the shows happen I'm sure he'll do great, and I'm guessing he has Charlie's blessing, but I just can't imagine them playing Tumbling Dice (or any song) w/out Charlie.

Such a class act, such a sad day.

Rest in Rhythm Charlie, thanks for so many memories that will live on forever.

CHELSKEITH

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:02

I´m so sad.

R.I.P.

Charlie

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:04

I wonder if they'll all unite for the funeral, including Mick T., and Bill, who was quite close to Charlie.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:09

Still up. It’s after 3am and the shock of this still is numbing me.

Date: August 25, 2021 10:13

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:15

VoodooLounge13

Me too. I log off then back on. I still can't believe this.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:19

child-of-the-moon

I can't open the pics

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:21

Charlie see you up there !

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:25

(from Chad Smith's interview for Drum Channel in 2018)

Farewell Charlie

Date: August 25, 2021 10:25

I can't open the pics

A mai újság címlapjai Angliából.

Charlie Watts Dies at 80... :-(
Posted by: DocChill ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:28

..so sad to hear that - simply unbelievable that he's gone sad smiley! We should play Rolling Stones' music loud & clear...

Since I was 5 years old, I enjoyed your music... for 39 years and 30 live shows so far... still rolling smiling smiley! Big thanks to Charlie and the Rolling Stones for so many years of Rock'n Roll dreams, tears & love.

Your music lives forever thumbs up!

Seraphina Watts, Charlie Watts, and Shirley Ann Shepherd 1991. Photo by Richard Young / Shutterstock

Best wishes to Shirley, Seraphina, his family, Mick, Keith and Ronnie!

...still shocked...
...regards...
...Daniel sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-08 10:53 by DocChill.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:31

shattered
VoodooLounge13

Me too. I log off then back on. I still can't believe this.

And me as well. I'm stil shocked and gutted about this terrible news like most, if not all of us.
It was always a joy to see Charlie having fun on stage and those memories I'll cherish forever.
My thoughts are with his family, bandmates and friends.
Thank you for the music Charlie!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:32

Fine job of assembling all those newspaper front pages, Olaf. Powerful. Did you personally scan them, or more likely, just pull them off the web?

One question for you or anyone -- the Sun quoted an unnamed insider as saying that things took an unexpected turn (for the worse). How reliable is the Sun as a newspaper?

plexi

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:35

child-of-the-moon

I can't open the pics

A mai újság címlapjai Angliából.

Thx

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:42

Where to begin...
So sad. So incredibly sad.
Thinking back of all the shows where Charlie brought joy to so many people.
And of the small jazz club gigs I was lucky to attend, seeing Charlie in what compared to a stadium felt like a living room.
Charlie taking the time to chat with some us in attendance. What a true gentleman he was.
Thank you Charlie for all the memories.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:03

Thank you Charlie.

Thank you for the joy, the music & the friendships i have made throughout a lifetime of listening to your music.
The heart is heavy but the music will never die. Thank you.

Posted by: MegabenAustralia ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:10

Any other 56 year old man (or woman) that can't hold back the tears after a day of living with the knowledge that Charlie died........? sad smiley

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:15

Rest in peace has been the best drummer in the world and the stones

Posted by: René ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:25

RIP Charlie...

René

Posted by: hobshobs1 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:36

Child Of The Moon, thank you for taking the time and trouble to post these newspaper images.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:42

Yesterday was a big shock even if I didn't put much stock in the recent PR but today with all the outpouring of tributes and sadness, the realization that it actually is the end of an era is hard to deal with. Can't hold back the tears for this selfless man who "played for Mick and Keith" and for us.

bv
I am in Cancun Mexico on my own, doing the 14 days needed to go on the US Tour 2021 in September, due to the US Covid-19 rules. As I get the news about Charlie passing today, I get so sad. The Rolling Stones are my other family. I spend 25% or more of my life on The Rolling Stones. I used to call myself Charlie when I became a Stones fan exactly 50 years ago this month, back in August 1971, because I used to be a drummer myself, and because Charlie was so cool. Now I realize the last show with Charlie was in Miami August 30, 2019. So sad. So sad.

Yes, so very sad but as was written above you are not alone bv, we are not alone thanks to this great place you created and maintain. You'll never be thanked enough, take heart.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:43

He would have rolled his eyes at seeing himself on the front pages.

Thanks for all the great music Charlie smileys with beer

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:45

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:45

As lifelong fans words cannot describe our feelings of this loss. Goodbye Charlie never to be forgotten.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:46

Started on Rock n Roll Circus this morning, peak late 60s

Now on Beggars Banquet and will move through the golden period and onto other highlights.

Farewell Charlie and thanks for keeping the beat.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home