Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:42

A Day That We All Wished Would Never Come + GOD BLESS CHARLIE WATTS + Our Thoughts and Prayers Are With His Family and Friends + GOD BLESS THE ROLLING STONES + ... Thank You For The Sound Track of Our Lives ~ ... Forever With Us Thru Eternity

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:42

My heart is heavy...I have not been on this site for many years at least 10...I first saw the Stones in 1965 Brian Mick,KR, Bill CW....I have seen TRS atleast 60x

Lat I saw TRS Brooklyn 2013....TRS should have the dignity to hang it up and fold...LZ did so after Bonzo passed..

My personal encounter w CW was at Angleterre Hotel, Coppenhagen 2006 in the lobby when I said "Have a great show Charlie,,,he turned and said "Is that you Eric?""

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:44

Thank you my friend. and this is not a farewell.
There are people who don't die, they just don't appear physically.
Today is a day to cry and give thanks.
My first thoughts after the bad news; "Charlie`s good tonight"... and forever.
The Rolling Stones have to keep playing because that's also honoring Charlie Watts.
My condolences to all of you.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:44

Very sad. Hard to say more now, in shock. What a great man!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:45

Charlie in 1989 - [www.GettyImages.com]

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:47

Let me say that Charlie has touched me in a way that only another drummer can understand. I have been playing the drums for 50 years. From the time I was 7, Charlie was one of my favorite drummers. When I was a kid, I used to play to Stones records. As I got older and started to play with bands, I started to understand how difficult it is to come up for something different in every song. When I listen back to the first 4 Rolling Stones records, I realize what a great blues feel Charlie had. Songs like; Confessing' the Blues, Heart of Stone, Look What You've Done, Cry To Me, Down the Road Apiece, It's all Over Now, Time is On My Side & so many more have such a great bluesy feel. Then you have a rock N Roll feel that he provided in songs such as; Mercy Mercy, The Last Time, Paint It Black, Get Off My Cloud, Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar, Bitch etc...Then we have the ballads; Wild Horses, Fool To Cry, You Got The Silver, Sister Morphine, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, Beast of Burden, The entire Side 2 of Tattoo You & So Many More. His playing on these songs taught me to develop a groove, and taught me that it's not all about fills and flash but groove when your playing honest Rock N Roll. Charlie's timing has always been compared to a Swiss Watch; and with good reason. Charlie had great timing and a great groove. What impressed me most about his playing was how he came up with something that fit every song. The Stones have covered many different styles of music during their career. Whether it was a hard driving beat for "Dance Lil Sister, or a pair of mallets on songs like 'Moonlight Mile" and " I Just Wanna See His Face, or a reggae beat on songs such as, "Cherry Oh Baby and "The Harder They Come" or Charlie's Mystery Drum on " Moon is Up "Charlie Watts always played what was appropriate for the song.
That is a talent in it of itself. Couple the ability to innovate with great timing and great groove, and you have yourself one great drummer.
Thank You Charlie, Thank You For Giving Me Drum Lessons and Joy over the last 50 Years.
Thank You,
Charlie...aka Soulsurvivor

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:48

SomeTorontoGirl
Lady Jayne
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for an article but this one from The Guardian says it all

[www.theguardian.com]

Thanks, that was lovely.

Awesome tribute article with interesting insights even for old die-hards like us.

RIP Charlie. The world is swaying from this news.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:48

Being the absolute best and funniest right till the very end. This is gonna hurt for so long. Looking for a gif of his exasperated face at the end of All Down The Line from Shine A Light. Charlie was the funniest.

Date: August 25, 2021 00:51

RollingFreak

Looking for a gif of his exasperated face at the end of All Down The Line from Shine A Light.

Charlie in animated GIFs - [gifer.com] .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:53

Irix
RollingFreak

Looking for a gif of his exasperated face at the end of All Down The Line from Shine A Light.

Charlie in animated GIFs - [gifer.com] .

Love this band.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:53

Rob Sheffield appreciation:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:55

The Best Dressed Man in Heaven

Charlie Watts

Posted by: GiorgioGomelsky ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:55

RIP Charlie

May the good lord shine a light on you

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:58

Not many things can get me up and dancing, but The Stones can and that is down to Charlie Watts.

Love you Charlie......

RIP.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: August 25, 2021 00:59

So hard to fathom this loss, Charlie has always given his all to and for the Rolling Stones and no words can really and truly describe his contributions to the band and the way he led his life and his never ending love for his wife and family. A true gentleman's gentleman in every sense of the word. He will be incredibly missed but the memories he gave us will live forever. The music he helped make and which he was a part of for decade after decade will never fade away, he will be remembered with high esteem by millions of music fans everywhere. Whether you are a fan from the past or present or both, his legacy will continue to live on for ages. Future fans will make sure of that, no doubt about it. RIP Charlie, we love you.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:01

Gonna miss ya Charlie. R.I.P.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:05

So sad. RiP Charlie, you will be missed.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:07

I knew this day was coming but it does not make it any easier to accept.

Going to breakout my unworn Ronnie Wood drawing Charlie Watts t-shirt tonight the Stones sold back in the 1990's I bought years ago in his honor.

Ronnie really captured Charlie I think.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 01:10 by oldschool.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:12

Sigh...

Sigh..

Sigh.

Thank you Charlie, and thanks to the IORR community (past and present) for 20 years of nerdy arguments, setlist quibbles, unearthed bootlegs, ephemera and everyone's infectious enthusiasm and passion for the Stones. Charlie kept the band down to earth even when they were in the stratosphere.

It still hasn't quite sunk in.

Love to you all while we process this.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:15

I see even Bianca has managed to publish condolences before her ex or any of the principles.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:16

Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:16

That is a great shirt depicting Charlie. Are they still available? I think i would like to have one to commemorate Charlie Watts. It appears to me to capture the nature of Charlie.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:17

Charlie has kept me dancing for my entire life. So grateful for the memories and the recordings that will live forever.

He seemed like a charming fellow and so many of the tributes today seem to reflect that.

What a lovely soul.

TeaAtThree

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:21

I don't belive a world without Charlie Watts. Rip giant!
Sici

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:24

[www.youtube.com]
RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 01:25 by MrEcho.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:25

Lady Jayne
I see even Bianca has managed to publish condolences before her ex or any of the principles.

[twitter.com]

I imagine the band is overwhelmed by grief.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:26

illyad1960
That is a great shirt depicting Charlie. Are they still available? I think i would like to have one to commemorate Charlie Watts. It appears to me to capture the nature of Charlie.

No the Stones sold them in the 1990's but they sold out quickly I think and I got mine on eBay about 5-6 yrs ago.

They sold a shirt for each of the 4 Stones based on Ronnie's artwork.

It took me years to find NOS unworn shirts but I finally got all 4.

Keep an eye out on eBay and you might get lucky

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:27

Mick shares a happy Charlie

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: August 25, 2021 01:28

This is beyond shocking for me. Charlie is the reason I'm a drummer. I'm left-handed and modeled my style when I was a kid after Charlie. I would watch him drum and then see other people doing crazy fills etc. I love the engine like quality of his playing. Like a train coming down the tracks.

Date: August 25, 2021 01:29

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home