Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Their Satanic Majesties Request artwork
Posted by: stones1969 ()
Date: August 22, 2021 22:33

He Guys!

I think some people overlooked the link.

I believe this photo appeared on a thread here a while back. By clicking this link [www.google.com] can anyone identify the artwork in the frame in the photo below? Was this original artwork by Michael Cooper, or is it artwork by an artist that was used for the inside of the record sleeve for Their Satanic Majesties Request?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-08 04:33 by bv.

Re: Can Anyone Identify This Artwork From the Inner Sleeve of Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 22, 2021 22:54

IORR - Album art - Their Satanic Majesties Request

[iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Re: Can Anyone Identify This Artwork From the Inner Sleeve of Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Date: August 23, 2021 02:03

bv
IORR - Album art - Their Satanic Majesties Request

[iorr.org]

I've seen this before, thanks. I should have been more specific. Can you identify the picture in this link? > [www.google.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 23, 2021 11:15

stones1969

Can you identify the picture in this link? > [www.google.com]

Picture extracted:

For comparison the Album's inner gatefold:

Large picture

stones1969

Was this original artwork by Michael Cooper, or is it artwork by an artist that was used for the inside of the record sleeve for Their Satanic Majesties Request?

Maybe [www.YesPleaseProductions.com] knows some details about the original collage used for the inner gatefold since YPP made the Lyrics-Videos for TSMR's 50th which use elements of that collage.

Many sources say that the dense photo collage filling most of the inside cover (along with a maze) was designed by Michael Cooper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-23 11:45 by Irix.

Re: PLEASE RE-READ Can Anyone Identify This Artwork From the Inner Sleeve of Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Date: August 23, 2021 23:45

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Yes, I've heard it might have been Michael Cooper, but I also heard the maze, anyway, was designed by Brian Jones. The problem with this album is that the information written about it doesn't seem to be very accurate. I was always led to believe it was a Japanese camera that was used to take the 3-D cover and it cost $25,000. I also heard that the albums which came with the 3-D cover were limited to only 5,000 copies. It seem like when I started researching it myself I was finding out different information. I recently spoke with two people who were familiar with the company Vari-Vue, which did the album cover, and they both told me it was NOT a Japanese-made camera. One guy told me the entire first run of albums was printed with that cover and NOT just 5000 copies, which makes sense because they are everywhere and not hard to find at all. There are probably 5000 of them on eBay. He also told me that he thinks $25,000 was the total production cost and not the cost of the camera. Again, that makes sense.

Thanks for responding. I love chatting with serious Stones fans.

Rob

Re: PLEASE RE-READ Can Anyone Identify This Artwork From the Inner Sleeve of Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 24, 2021 00:21

It’s been said mano times that each hologram cost $1. I thank it’s say too much, if an album was sole at about $3, at the time. The Vari Vue is not made in Japan, but one of the very companies that had it was in Japan. Bye, Luca

Date: August 24, 2021 00:49

It's possible there might have been a company in Japan that was doing 3-D/Lenticular images like Vari-Vue and that's where the confusion comes in. I can only go by what these two Vari-Vue historians told me. One man said the camera was a Vidoe Vision camera aka Anderson Camera, named after the founder of Vari-Vue, Vincent Anderson. I'm still researching this so I may find out more.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 24, 2021 01:13

1963luca0
It’s been said mano times that each hologram cost $1. Luca

Please. IT IS NOT A HOLOGRAM.

A Hologram is very specifically a laser related way of storing full 3D data. The Stones Satanic cover is NOT a Hologram.

Sigh.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 24, 2021 06:14

stones1969

Yes, I've heard it might have been Michael Cooper, but I also heard the maze, anyway, was designed by Brian Jones. The problem with this album is that the information written about it doesn't seem to be very accurate. I was always led to believe it was a Japanese camera that was used to take the 3-D cover and it cost $25,000. I also heard that the albums which came with the 3-D cover were limited to only 5,000 copies. It seem like when I started researching it myself I was finding out different information. I recently spoke with two people who were familiar with the company Vari-Vue, which did the album cover, and they both told me it was NOT a Japanese-made camera. One guy told me the entire first run of albums was printed with that cover and NOT just 5000 copies, which makes sense because they are everywhere and not hard to find at all. There are probably 5000 of them on eBay. He also told me that he thinks $25,000 was the total production cost and not the cost of the camera. Again, that makes sense.

Rob

The entire cover design is elaborate, with a dense photo collage filling most of the inside cover (along with a maze) designed by Michael Cooper, and a painting by Tony Meeuwissen on the back cover depicting the four elements (Earth, Water, Fire, and Air). In some editions the blue-and-white wisps on the front cover are used in a red-and-white version on the paper inner sleeve. The inner-cover collage has dozens of images, taken from reproductions of old master paintings (Ingres, Poussin, da Vinci, among others), Indian mandalas and portraits, astronomy (including a large image of the planet Saturn), flowers, world maps, etc. The maze on the inside cover of the UK and US releases cannot be completed: a wall at about a half radius in from the lower left corner means one can never arrive at the goal labeled "It's Here" in the centre of the maze. [faroutmagazine.co.uk]

- Bill stated in Stone Alone (pg 460) : Michael took the first 3D pictures of us dressed up, using a 3-D camera from Japan.

- In Roy Carr's "The RS - an illustrated record - he writes: "When the Stones unveiled TSMR - resplendant in it's $25,000 3-D Op Art sleeve...."

- I doubt there were only 5000 copies world wide - maybe if you said 500,000 (still have my original copy from 1967/8). Strangely, they do not mention anything about the inside cover but do state the back cover illustration by Tony Meeviwiffen.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 24, 2021 07:27

As far as numbers go, there were definitely more than 5k pressed, I remember the 3D cover was being sold well into the 70s. I forget when exactly it was switched over to the 2D version, but it was interesting to see it for the first time where you could really pick out details like the Beatles in the flowers.

jb

Date: September 7, 2021 22:42

This is excellent research on the Rolling Stones album cover artwork for Their Satanic as well as the other album covers. With the exception of a few things that I question, it is very good.

Does anyone know who the author Charles Yo is?

Rob

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2021 23:10

2000 LYFH
stones1969

Rob

The entire cover design is elaborate, with a dense photo collage filling most of the inside cover (along with a maze) designed by Michael Cooper, and a painting by Tony Meeuwissen on the back cover depicting the four elements (Earth, Water, Fire, and Air). In some editions the blue-and-white wisps on the front cover are used in a red-and-white version on the paper inner sleeve. The inner-cover collage has dozens of images, taken from reproductions of old master paintings (Ingres, Poussin, da Vinci, among others), Indian mandalas and portraits, astronomy (including a large image of the planet Saturn), flowers, world maps, etc. The maze on the inside cover of the UK and US releases cannot be completed: a wall at about a half radius in from the lower left corner means one can never arrive at the goal labeled "It's Here" in the centre of the maze. [faroutmagazine.co.uk]

- Bill stated in Stone Alone (pg 460) : Michael took the first 3D pictures of us dressed up, using a 3-D camera from Japan.

- In Roy Carr's "The RS - an illustrated record - he writes: "When the Stones unveiled TSMR - resplendant in it's $25,000 3-D Op Art sleeve...."

- I doubt there were only 5000 copies world wide - maybe if you said 500,000 (still have my original copy from 1967/8). Strangely, they do not mention anything about the inside cover but do state the back cover illustration by Tony Meeviwiffen.

Probably more than 5000 of the reprint from 1981.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 8, 2021 01:05

stones1969

Does anyone know who the author Charles Yo is?

"cyoe" - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 8, 2021 01:06

Someone tell me again how the Sgt. Pepper album didn't cause rock and rollers to go off the deep end trying to create their own Pepperland albums. It was the dawning of the Age of Aquarius and everyone wanted to appear groovy. Not everyone was.

Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request artwork
Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 8, 2021 04:32

Please DO NOT use the subject line in order to promote a thread you have started. It is like SHOUTING, and if everyone do the same, IORR will be a mess. I might close or delete such a thread if it happens.

The subject line of this thread was changed today by the original poster into this, a long and shouting text:

PLEASE RE-READ Can Anyone Identify This Artwork From the Inner Sleeve of Their Satanic Majesties Request?

I changed the subject line into the following. Please do not change:

Their Satanic Majesties Request artwork

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2021 05:02

ROCKMAN

Date: September 8, 2021 05:29

Time for a super deluxe edition with some teeth.

jb

Date: September 8, 2021 05:33

ROCKMAN

Date: September 8, 2021 05:46

jbwelda

jb

yup...I would like that. I don't think you can even blame ABKCO though. It's M & K I think that are calling the shots on previously unreleased material from the 60s.

Date: September 8, 2021 08:25

If you wanna make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs.

jb

Date: September 8, 2021 15:13

Sorry, it was not meant to be shouting. I did that as a way of getting attention once I realized I didn't word it properly.

Rob

Date: September 8, 2021 15:21

treaclefingers
jbwelda

jb

yup...I would like that. I don't think you can even blame ABKCO though. It's M & K I think that are calling the shots on previously unreleased material from the 60s.

There were outtakes of songs for a bonus disc originally planned for the 50th-anniversary box set for Their Satanic, but the decision-makers at the record label decided to not include it in the box set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-08 16:03 by stones1969.

Date: September 8, 2021 16:11

Thanks, Rockman, this is really helpful.

R

Date: September 8, 2021 17:18

stones1969
treaclefingers
jbwelda

jb

There were outtakes of songs for a bonus disc originally planned for the 50th-anniversary box set for Their Satanic, but the decision-makers at the record label decided to not include it in the box set.

Well the 'decision-makers' were pretty tight fisted by the sounds of it, as they didn't do anything for Beggar's or LIB either!

Date: September 12, 2021 08:20

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2021 09:03

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2021 09:27

Michael Cooper --- Blinds & Shutters

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 12, 2021 10:04

Rockman

If it really is in the V&A then it's possible to ask to have a look at it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 12, 2021 10:49

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2021 11:06

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home