Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT RIP Don Everly
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 23, 2021 01:33

+1

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 23, 2021 03:37

tatters
2000 LYFH
tatters
ukcal

I Was lucky enough to see them at the S&G re-union tour called Old Friends, they did a career hitory with in jokes about spliting up and arguments. At one point they mentioned being influenced by Phil and Don.........then Paul Simom says "Would you please welcome on stage the Everly brothers!!!"

I saw that tour too. 2003 I think it was. I took my wife, who hates the Everly Brothers, hoping it would change her mind about them. It did not. But what a rare treat for me. Simon and Garfunkel and the Everly Brothers onstage, together? Incredible!

[www.youtube.com]

Also, saw them down in Sunrise, Fl (12/18/2003) - one of my favorite concerts over the years. Have the S/G Old Friends DVD - Live On Stage.

Everly's played:

Wake Up Little Susie
All I Have To Do Is Dream
Bye Bye Love (with S/G)

RIP Don

They also did "Let It Be Me." It's surprising to me that S&G would take them on the road for an entire tour, just to do a four-song guest spot in the middle of the show. Seems more like something that would normally be done just once, and as an unannounced surprise. I'm glad they did it the way they did it, though. Gave a lot of people the opportunity to witness something really special, and hey, the Stones took Mick Taylor on an entire tour not so long ago to do a whole lot less.

Yeah, I saw them on that tour too, was really cool, never seen a band do that in the middle of their show before.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 23, 2021 12:59

Macca includes a little tribute in this fantastic Wings song...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 23, 2021 13:31

tatters
ukcal

I Was lucky enough to see them at the S&G re-union tour called Old Friends, they did a career hitory with in jokes about spliting up and arguments. At one point they mentioned being influenced by Phil and Don.........then Paul Simom says "Would you please welcome on stage the Everly brothers!!!"

I saw that tour too. 2003 I think it was. I took my wife, who hates the Everly Brothers, hoping it would change her mind about them. It did not. But what a rare treat for me. Simon and Garfunkel and the Everly Brothers onstage, together? Incredible!

[www.youtube.com]

I never saw the Everly Brothers perform, but clearly S&G and many other musicians loved and were influenced by them. I saw S&G in 1983 and they played Wake Up, Little Susie at the end of the show, during which I seem to remember their then-partners Penny Marshall and Carrie Fisher came out and danced around. RIP

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 23, 2021 18:40

Here's some links regarding the Everly Brothers and their musical career(s). Great interview with them from Rolling Stone from some years ago. Tunes noted in the links have had me spending part of this morning again finding Everly songs I was not aware of. Some are really great, some, meh. A passing thought: Wouldn't it be cool if the Stones during their tour covered an Everly tune or two. What would they pick?

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 23, 2021 19:46

The Kinks did this one a few times live in the 1980's-

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 23, 2021 21:26

Their voices were so in tune it's hard to separate them. Even the Bee Gees and Beach Boys had distinctive voices. The Everly Brothers blend is unique. I met Phil on the streets of Burbank in 2012, a couple years before he passed. It was shocking to be in the presence of a legend.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 23, 2021 22:58

Aw shucks..heres a nice little Everlys story from super fan Hollies lead singer Allan Clarke...Don and Phil sound like nice guys.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 23, 2021 23:58

kovach
tatters
2000 LYFH
tatters
ukcal

[www.youtube.com]

Also, saw them down in Sunrise, Fl (12/18/2003) - one of my favorite concerts over the years. Have the S/G Old Friends DVD - Live On Stage.

Everly's played:

Wake Up Little Susie
All I Have To Do Is Dream
Bye Bye Love (with S/G)

RIP Don

They also did "Let It Be Me." It's surprising to me that S&G would take them on the road for an entire tour, just to do a four-song guest spot in the middle of the show. Seems more like something that would normally be done just once, and as an unannounced surprise. I'm glad they did it the way they did it, though. Gave a lot of people the opportunity to witness something really special, and hey, the Stones took Mick Taylor on an entire tour not so long ago to do a whole lot less.

Yeah, I saw them on that tour too, was really cool, never seen a band do that in the middle of their show before.

I've had the Old Friends CD/DVD for years and just assumed they brought The Everly's out for that. Didn't know they did it for the whole tour. Thats pretty cool, but odd as you're saying. I guess it seems less weird with Mick Taylor cause he's specifically a guest and a former member of the band, so I've seen that happen before. Seems weirder when its two guys who were their own thing that would travel to all those shows to just do a couple songs, but I guess it is pretty much exactly the same.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 24, 2021 00:14

Wow…how could anyone hate the Everly Brothers?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 24, 2021 04:54

Keith singing All I Have To Do Is Dream is a gem.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 24, 2021 05:33

Amazing musicians Don&Phil.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home