Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Steve Jordan: how his sound will affect the dynamic of the band?
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 14, 2021 00:47

I have complete respect for Darryl but for me he never quite gelled with Charlie the way Bill did. Steve obviously has great chemistry with Keith but I am curious as to how he will lay it down with Darryl. We shall see.

Hoping Charlie gets back in the saddle eventually.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 02:51

He is a very 'out front' drummer as can be heard on the Wino's recordings.

Very interesting sounds, but curious about the style changes that might be incorporated in to the Rolling Stones set-list.

Very interactive in the studio as can be heard in the lost Wino's track:

'Albert King Blues'

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 04:21

guyrachel
Obviously rehearsals will begin at some point… And just wondering what everybody’s perspective is on Steve Jordan and how his way of playing will effect the dynamic of the band… at and it sounds Does anybody have interesting opinions, really genuinely not interested in people slagging him off… He is clearly a great drummer…, Just a question of how he will interweave with the rest of the band… will he propel it forward, slow it down, mix it up etc
Will stones let him express his dynamic and energy within the band or will they expect him to replicate Charlie…?

I'm curious about the drum kit. We know Charlie uses a very modest drum kit, but will Steve Jordan have one of those big drum kits like Motley Crue or Ac/DC? Will the size of the drum kit affect the sound?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 14, 2021 04:34

IsakSun
erikjjf
Papo
Wonder if they'll do "Waiting on a friend"...would be nice to hear Mr Denson's take on this.

Tim plays the sax solo in Waiting On A Friend.

Yes, Tim Ries is a much more intresting sax player than Karl Denson, Tim should play all the sax solos.

Interesting? Hey did you that sax solo on Brown Sugar? I never heard anything so interesting! Awesome!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2021 05:46

The dynamics of the entire performance will be drastically changed (heavy handed, louder, etc.), and not for the better imo.
Jordan's a great drummer no doubt, but in a different context. The bottom line - Charlie will be sorely missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-14 05:49 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2021 06:02

He will do awesome. He will be awesome.

People that can't accept the difference... bye.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 14, 2021 12:50

I'll whisper not to attract the wrath of IORR regulars upon my poor person but Mick must be very excited to work with a new guy...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 14, 2021 13:57

IT will be interesting if a new drummer means new songs added to the setlist.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 14, 2021 14:08

I remember this. When Steve was a touring member of Eric Clapton in 2006-7 and 2013, a roadie often changed the cymbals of his drum kit during the show, this cymbal for this song, that cymbal for that song, a very quick job that was done in a few seconds between songs. I have never seen any other drummer doing that.

Don’t know if it happened when he toured with Keith — never seen Keith solo live.

And, yes, his drumming, together with Willie Weeks playing the bass, was superb. One of those “groove” drummers, energetic and driving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-14 14:11 by RisingStone.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 14, 2021 14:15

If Mick and Keith allow Steve to "let the tiger out" at the end of the extended jam on songs like JJF or BS that could be exciting.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: August 14, 2021 22:24

In truth I think Steve will want to “serve” the Stones, With all the best connotations that that means, But will look for ways in which he can exploit his style…

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 14, 2021 22:51

I think the Stones sound will be dynamic. hot smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 14, 2021 23:07

Irix
Rokyfan

Discussing replacement of the sax soloists really adds nothing to the discussion of how the replacement of Charlie Watts will affect the Stones' sound.

How Charlie's replacement will affect the Stones' sound - we will hear it end of September .... winking smiley

True.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 15, 2021 02:36

Date: August 13, 2021 20:40

What I feel has happened within the mechanics of the band, based on the theory that the pace of the band’s songs has been dictated by the interplay between Keith an Charlie.
I have felt that during the last 2 years of No Filter, Keith’s laying has improved as he has concentrated more on this playing and less on posing, consequently numbers like SFM, have been excitingly reborn in the interplay of Keith and Ronnie’s interplay, but numbers that are meant to be fast like ADTL or SSC sound sluggish, I’m hoping this might be excitingly remedied by the addition of Jordan….thoughts?

i noticed this to in 2017 keith playing was really bad sometimes on particular perfomance of beast of burden from that year was so bad i thought there wouldn't be another tour but in 2018 he sounded better made less mistakes then in 2019 even more improvments and he is playing faster than in 17-18 i also think it has to do with him messing around less on stage and focusing more on his playing but he also stopped drinking and started cutting back on his smoking in that time
him quitting those two things combined with who knows what other healthier habits patti's got him to take up in the last year and a half means he could be in better shape then has in a decade by now can't wait to see how it will affect his playing/singing not excepecting 1972 but maybe 2012/13 quality playing which if so could really extended his ability to continue to tour and perform well for a couple of more year i hope

but back jordan

i think he will play more like charlie but not copy him outright he'll still sound like him

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 15, 2021 04:36

Lets all give Steve Jordan a chance ....
I'm sure he'll fit in fine and we may
all get a pleasant surprise from what he brings to the band ....

Having said that I'm sure we haven't seen
the last of Charlie .... Good health to you Mr watts

ROCKMAN

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 15, 2021 07:40

It's gonna be a hit parade. No surprises.

Date: August 15, 2021 15:05

J.J.Flash

There were very few surprises on the Stones show in recent years, after all — one or two if anyyawning smiley

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: August 15, 2021 16:31

Listen to Winos… that snare….

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 15, 2021 16:49

RisingStone
J.J.Flash

There were very few surprises on the Stones show in recent years, after all — one or two if anyyawning smiley

I was lucky enough to be there for one. Mercy, Mercy in DC (Maryland) 2019. My second Stones show. The odds are mind-boggling. One of my all-time live show highlights.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: August 15, 2021 18:31

It will sound like what it is - Mick Jagger singing over soulless session musicians with Ronnie covering Keith's mistakes. Leavell/Jordan/Jones as prominent as the actual remaining Stones.

If you're cool with that I hope you have a great gig. Glad I saw them when I did and there were more than two actual Stones in the band. Long time ago now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-15 18:32 by WorriedAboutYou.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 15, 2021 18:32

I'd imagine he's been playing Stones songs with Keith before the rehearsals start, he's a very capable drummer, obviously younger and stronger so hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the sound, i love Charlie and he's a true gentleman, and of course we will all miss him and his understated charm, but please guys, Steve is helping out the band we love, let's give him some support and enthusiasm.

Remember this too puts the remaining Stones under incredible pressure, they are very old men themselves but they have the balls to carry this story to its conclusion, Ronnie bless him not long out of Chemo and radiation and cant be feeling 100% but he's still carrying on battling away , i think Mick, Keith and Ronnie are incredibly brave men and please don't say this is for the money, it most definitely is not about the money, it's for the enjoyment and the challenge and most of all us fans that keep going to see them.
This journey isn't over yet guys, we aren't at the end, but we are at the beginning of the end.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-15 23:12 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: August 16, 2021 01:19

ProfessorWolf

Date: August 13, 2021 20:40

What I feel has happened within the mechanics of the band, based on the theory that the pace of the band’s songs has been dictated by the interplay between Keith an Charlie.
I have felt that during the last 2 years of No Filter, Keith’s laying has improved as he has concentrated more on this playing and less on posing, consequently numbers like SFM, have been excitingly reborn in the interplay of Keith and Ronnie’s interplay, but numbers that are meant to be fast like ADTL or SSC sound sluggish, I’m hoping this might be excitingly remedied by the addition of Jordan….thoughts?

i noticed this to in 2017 keith playing was really bad sometimes on particular perfomance of beast of burden from that year was so bad i thought there wouldn't be another tour but in 2018 he sounded better made less mistakes then in 2019 even more improvments and he is playing faster than in 17-18 i also think it has to do with him messing around less on stage and focusing more on his playing but he also stopped drinking and started cutting back on his smoking in that time
him quitting those two things combined with who knows what other healthier habits patti's got him to take up in the last year and a half means he could be in better shape then has in a decade by now can't wait to see how it will affect his playing/singing not excepecting 1972 but maybe 2012/13 quality playing which if so could really extended his ability to continue to tour and perform well for a couple of more year i hope

Yikes. Well, the first little bit, anyway.

Date: August 18, 2021 04:32

I am a little worried about Steve J replacing Charlie. Charlie is very understated, but he controls the songs, especially the endings. Charlie instinctively ends live songs with a ba-boom or a ba-bam or a smash bang. Will Steve J have the knowledge of knowing the same songs vary every time? That comes with experience so they need to start rehearsing early. For example I have several live versions of Thief in the Night and when I play them back to back each one has a different ending. Ba Bam, Charlie's the man.

Date: August 18, 2021 05:16

BitchKeepsBitchin
I am a little worried about Steve J replacing Charlie. Charlie is very understated, but he controls the songs, especially the endings. Charlie instinctively ends live songs with a ba-boom or a ba-bam or a smash bang. Will Steve J have the knowledge of knowing the same songs vary every time? That comes with experience so they need to start rehearsing early. For example I have several live versions of Thief in the Night and when I play them back to back each one has a different ending. Ba Bam, Charlie's the man.

Certainly Jordan, like Jason Bohnam, has loads of live recordings to listen to. But... they will end the songs the way they end the songs in 2021 period.

Maybe they'll do 25 songs instead of 19 or 21. Until the tour starts, guessing is just that.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 18, 2021 05:30

I have just gotten off the phone with someone I'm vaguely certain was Steve Jorgen...He's gonna do fine. He's not Charlie but he's gonna do fine...

Date: August 18, 2021 05:37

Munichhilton
I have just gotten off the phone with someone I'm vaguely certain was Steve Jorgen...He's gonna do fine. He's not Charlie but he's gonna do fine...

Let us know where Steve Jorgen is playing this year. Never heard of him but, you know, it's someone new.

Date: August 19, 2021 04:50

It is almost for certain that, without Charlie, some of the integral essence, both musically and personality-wise, we Stones fans are so familiar with and fond of for many years, will be missing from the upcoming US shows.

On the other hand, it is probable Steve’s contribution will reinvent the nature of their performance. And it won’t be all bad for sure. Chances are that you may see the new improved Stones — at this late stage of their career.

I’m genuinely envious of those who are going to witness the Stones 2021 model, regardless of this being your last Stones gig to be present at or not.

If the tour happens, that is —

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 19, 2021 05:00

GasLightStreet
Munichhilton

Let us know where Steve Jorgen is playing this year. Never heard of him but, you know, it's someone new.

I thought Steve Jorgen was the guitarist for a death metal band out of Los Angeles. Don't tell me he's doing double duty on the drums too.

Date: August 19, 2021 10:30

ChrisM42
He is a very 'out front' drummer as can be heard on the Wino's recordings.

Very interesting sounds, but curious about the style changes that might be incorporated in to the Rolling Stones set-list.

Very interactive in the studio as can be heard in the lost Wino's track:

'Albert King Blues'

Who was the loudest, Jordan or Drayton? They both played drums with the Winos.

I think it was more of a mixing issue than a result of their playing styles, though.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: August 19, 2021 12:25

guyrachel
Obviously rehearsals will begin at some point… And just wondering what everybody’s perspective is on Steve Jordan and how his way of playing will effect the dynamic of the band… at and it sounds Does anybody have interesting opinions, really genuinely not interested in people slagging him off… He is clearly a great drummer…, Just a question of how he will interweave with the rest of the band… will he propel it forward, slow it down, mix it up etc
Will stones let him express his dynamic and energy within the band or will they expect him to replicate Charlie…?

Like a drum machine, no thank you, i´ll pass and pray for Charlie.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home