Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Steve Jordan talk
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: August 13, 2021 15:35

Steve Jordan: how his sound will affect the dynamic of the band?

Obviously rehearsals will begin at some point… And just wondering what everybody’s perspective is on Steve Jordan and how his way of playing will effect the dynamic of the band… at and it sounds Does anybody have interesting opinions, really genuinely not interested in people slagging him off… He is clearly a great drummer…, Just a question of how he will interweave with the rest of the band… will he propel it forward, slow it down, mix it up etc
Will stones let him express his dynamic and energy within the band or will they expect him to replicate Charlie…?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-26 13:47 by bv.

Re: Steve Jordan: how his sound will affect the dynamic of the band?
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 13, 2021 16:07

Start Me Up and All Down The Line will be interesting, ADTL might not get an outing but SMU is a warhorse so that will surely be performed. As for the rest of the canon, hmmmm, it's not like we expect 'e to do Summer Romance even if that would've been great!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-13 16:07 by MadMax.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 13, 2021 16:25

Curious how Midnight Rambler will sound.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 13, 2021 16:28

I have absolutely no clue;-)
I guess it will sound very different. Charlie Watts is impossible to "imitate" or copy, as he has a unique, distinctive sound, imho.

That being said, I am very much interested in how it will sound.

U2 once had to do a week of rehearsals (the last week of rehearsals) before tour start with a substitute drummer, while Larry Mullen attended his fathers funeral.

They hired a local (?) drummer from Vancouver and he did great, nevertheless I could always tell it wasn't Larry - those nuances...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 13, 2021 16:30

guyrachel

Will stones let him express his dynamic and energy within the band or will they expect him to replicate Charlie…?

Did the Stones expect Karl Denson to replicate Bobby Keys? Considering the current Sax-solos of BS & MY, obviously not ....

Date: August 13, 2021 16:38

Irix
guyrachel

Did the Stones expect Karl Denson to replicate Bobby Keys? Considering the current Sax-solos of BS & MY, obviously not ....

And Bobby himself didn't replicate Mel Collins's sax solo on Miss You winking smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 16:39

Koen
Curious how Midnight Rambler will sound.

I was thinking that. I suspect it will sound magnificent - turbo-charged even. Steve Jordan can definitely play a mean shuffle.

Date: August 13, 2021 16:47

Will Too Rude make the setlist?

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 13, 2021 17:07

Wonder if they'll do "Waiting on a friend"...would be nice to hear Mr Denson's take on this.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 13, 2021 17:08

Wouldn't listening to Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender and Expensive Winos live shows give an idea of how Jordan plays and will sound? I imagine there will be a new dynamic that evolves regarding some of the Stones songs as he and Darryl Jones interact. This possibly could give new life to some of the songs that have been played for years.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 17:11

You mean every song?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2021 17:22

guyrachel
Obviously rehearsals will begin at some point…

Foxy Mick will probaly set an "online" rehearsal session with Jordan mid-september (when the band is well-oiled after weeks of playing again).
That'll introduce the new guy to the "world" and it'll prove the nay-sayers (aka the IORR grumblers) winking smiley Jordan can do it.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 13, 2021 17:25

I'm hoping for a little spunk, or snap, in the rhythm. A little bit more uptempo than normal.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 13, 2021 17:36

I really wonder if the play any song with Jordan they haven't done with Charlie during the NoFilter tour (I somehow doubt it)

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 13, 2021 18:14

Papo
Wonder if they'll do "Waiting on a friend"...would be nice to hear Mr Denson's take on this.

Tim plays the sax solo in Waiting On A Friend.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 13, 2021 18:37

MingSubu
I'm hoping for a little spunk, or snap, in the rhythm. A little bit more uptempo than normal.

thumbs up

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 13, 2021 18:58

DandelionPowderman
Irix
guyrachel

And Bobby himself didn't replicate Mel Collins's sax solo on Miss You winking smiley

Replacing the drummer, the engine. Replacing the sax soloist on half a dozen songs. There's really no analogy here whatsoever, is there?

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: August 13, 2021 19:34

Mick Taylor did not copy Brian Jones. Ron Wood did neither copy Brian Jones nor Mick Taylor. Chuck Leavell does not copy Ian Stewart or Nicky Hopkins or Billy Preston. Darryl Jones does not copy Bill Wyman. Karl Denson does not copy Bobby Keys.

I don't expect Steve Jordan to copy Charlie Watts. Because they are all professional musicians with their own destinctive style. Copying is for cover bands. If you look for a copy, go see a cover band or play your original record.

I mean, not even Jagger, Richards, Wood or Watts do exactly covers of the things they played 20, 30 or 45 years ago. It is always the current version of a song. That is why live concerts are so unique.

(edited because of two typos)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-13 19:37 by Pokalheld.

Date: August 13, 2021 20:10

Rokyfan

Replacing the drummer, the engine. Replacing the sax soloist on half a dozen songs. There's really no analogy here whatsoever, is there?

The original question was to replicate Charlie's style - or to play within its own style. Therefore the analogy in the reply.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 20:11

Since we're talking about Steve Jordan and stuff, I just discovered this clip (yes, I know!). Love everything in it.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 13, 2021 20:28

With the Winos, Steve's drums are upfront, some may say loud. With the Stones my guess is that is not going to be the case. Probably a more conventional mix&balance which will make a difference with the Winos sound.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: August 13, 2021 20:40

What I feel has happened within the mechanics of the band, based on the theory that the pace of the band’s songs has been dictated by the interplay between Keith an Charlie.
I have felt that during the last 2 years of No Filter, Keith’s laying has improved as he has concentrated more on this playing and less on posing, consequently numbers like SFM, have been excitingly reborn in the interplay of Keith and Ronnie’s interplay, but numbers that are meant to be fast like ADTL or SSC sound sluggish, I’m hoping this might be excitingly remedied by the addition of Jordan….thoughts?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 13, 2021 20:50

He was great with James Brown!!!

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 21:02

guyrachel
What I feel has happened within the mechanics of the band, based on the theory that the pace of the band’s songs has been dictated by the interplay between Keith an Charlie.
I have felt that during the last 2 years of No Filter, Keith’s laying has improved as he has concentrated more on this playing and less on posing, consequently numbers like SFM, have been excitingly reborn in the interplay of Keith and Ronnie’s interplay, but numbers that are meant to be fast like ADTL or SSC sound sluggish, I’m hoping this might be excitingly remedied by the addition of Jordan….thoughts?

This is exactly what I'm at least hoping for.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 13, 2021 22:58

Hey, GivenToFly, thanks for the post. Best Stones blues cover I've seen in ages. Oh, right, that's Etta James showing how it's done with the boys in the band and Mister Berry going ape over it.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: August 13, 2021 23:05

I would say very loud drums in the mix. I have a hard time listening to recordings of Winos live with the piercing loud drums. I am sure I will love the Stones with Jordan. I just hope he is not so loud.

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: August 13, 2021 23:15

erikjjf
Papo

Tim plays the sax solo in Waiting On A Friend.

Yes, Tim Ries is a much more intresting sax player than Karl Denson, Tim should play all the sax solos.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 13, 2021 23:22

Irix
Rokyfan

The original question was to replicate Charlie's style - or to play within its own style. Therefore the analogy in the reply.
No not at all. Sax solos are be definition collateral, expected to be different every night, improvisatory, etc. Not true with the drummer of an iconic band whose distinctive sound is an integral part of the band's sound.

Discussing replacement of the sax soloists really adds nothing to the discussion of how the replacement of Charlie Watts will affect the Stones' sound. That's all.

Replicate? The suggestion is insulting.

Posted by: rereuk ()
Date: August 13, 2021 23:45

exactly, the guy is a disgrace! just awful.

Date: August 13, 2021 23:55

Rokyfan

Discussing replacement of the sax soloists really adds nothing to the discussion of how the replacement of Charlie Watts will affect the Stones' sound.

How Charlie's replacement will affect the Stones' sound - we will hear it end of September .... winking smiley

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home