Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Love in Vain: 1969 vs 1972 and 1978
Date: August 13, 2021 11:41

There is only one solo on the studio version. That's Cooder's mandolin-solo.

Keith did the slide fills, though. Those fills are full of feel, albeit in a different way than Taylor's brilliant playing.

There are some differences between the live versions, apart from guitar solos:

- The horns in 70/71 (gave a fuller sound - I like those versions)
- Keith's playing in 1978 (more bluesy licks during the verses after the intro)
- Mick's singing in 1978 (more crescendo towards the end - improved the dynamics)

Otherwise, I agree with LIV being a song that's made for the Stones to play. They can't go wrong with it. All versions have something unique to offer, including the Stripped- and Isle of Wight 2007-versions. I never heard the Echoplex-version from 2013, though.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2021 11:43

Taylor1
how anyone can say his playing on the Love in Vain 1972 Ft Worth show is overplayiong and not brillant is like saying Bach overplays

Cos Taylor would overplay if you gave him the occasion to do so!

It's been discussed before here at IORR but on live recordings (mainly from 73) when you hear Jagger yelling "yeah yeah" while Taylor is soloing ad-lib it most certainly means "shut up! Enough! This is the Stones not the Mick Taylor Experience! Be concise!"

Jagger probably hates guitar babbling : watch the 2001 live rendition of "God Gave Me..." and he bluntly shuts Steve Salas up after a few bars of guitar soloing.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 11:49

Yes but Mick can also shout "yeah yeah" when Keith is doing his solo. It was frequent in 1989, especially on Sympathy.

Date: August 13, 2021 11:53

GivenToFly15
Yes but Mick can also shout "yeah yeah" when Keith is doing his solo. It was frequent in 1989, especially on Sympathy.

That proves his point smiling smiley

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 12:02

You're right sorry grinning smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 13:10

dcba
Taylor1
how anyone can say his playing on the Love in Vain 1972 Ft Worth show is overplayiong and not brillant is like saying Bach overplays

It's been discussed before here at IORR but on live recordings (mainly from 73) when you hear Jagger yelling "yeah yeah" while Taylor is soloing ad-lib it most certainly means "shut up! Enough! This is the Stones not the Mick Taylor Experience! Be concise!"

Jagger probably hates guitar babbling : watch the 2001 live rendition of "God Gave Me..." and he bluntly shuts Steve Salas up after a few bars of guitar soloing.

[www.youtube.com]
Who cares what Jagger may think? He also thought a song like Neocon or a group like Superheavy was a good idea.Conversely , he admitted in his1995 Rolling Stone interview the Taylor Stones were probably the best version of the band.Artists are often the worst evaluators of their art.And on the subject of overplaying, I have no idea what that means.Only great musicians can overplay. Taylor always adds to the song. Jagger himself can be accused of over singing.There are a lot of songs where he screamsand barks and moans over the song without letting it breath. Taylor does not overplay on Love in Vain.His solos are short beautiful and penetrating.They are perfect for the song It’s nonsense .Finally, the longest solo Taylor ever did live with the Stones was his great can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury .At the end Jagger says @#$%& great.But again, who cares what he thinks.John Lennon thought Revolution 9 and Yoko were good ideas.Let me ask you, does Sonny Rollins overplay on Waiting on a Friend?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-13 13:52 by Taylor1.

Date: August 13, 2021 13:20

Taylor1

That makes sense smiling smiley

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: August 13, 2021 19:51

well the ya-ya's version is my favorite piece of recorded music ever, so that's my answer to this question.

Taylor makes that guitar wail like a cry from the soul of a broken-hearted man. It was a perfect convergence that cannot be replicated.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 13, 2021 22:51

TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

There is only a small difference, the guy doesn't play in a rock'n roll band!

Date: August 13, 2021 23:27

Testify
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

There is only a small difference, the guy doesn't play in a rock'n roll band!

He's cutting it on his own, but actually quite good at symphonic (hard) rock.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 14, 2021 12:54

TheflyingDutchman

"If there's one person who owes everything to Bach it's God"

Emil Cioran >grinning smiley<

Date: August 14, 2021 13:04

dcba

"If there's one person who owes everything to Bach it's God"

Emil Cioran >grinning smiley<

Bach Rocks smoking smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 14, 2021 13:55

The studio version I think is the best ever blues cover they have done.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:57

The studio version overall is the best version I always thought even though Taylor's solo on Ya Ya's is brilliant. The arrangement on the studio is great and Keith's playing to the song. Eric Clapton's version on his tribute record to Robert was for me just average I expected alot more.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 14, 2021 23:01

dcba
Taylor1

[www.youtube.com]

I disagree. 1973 was firmly in the time of guitar pyrotechnics. IMO he was egging him on. This was the era of the Guitar Hero, and the Stones had one of the best.

I just listened to LA Friday, and Wood approached the songs in much of the same way. It wasn’t until 1978 when they started backing off the lead guitar gunslinger image.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 15, 2021 01:48

Re: Love in Vain: 1969 vs 1972 and 1978 new
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2021 08:08

Blind Lemon Jefferson - Dry Southern Blues 1929

My mind leads me to take a trip down south
My mind leads me to take a trip down south
Take a trip down south and stop at a fatmouth's house

One train's at the depot with the red and blue lights behind
One train's at the depot with the red and blue lights behind
Well, the blue light's the blues, the red light's the worried mind

I hate to tell you, sugar, it t'ain't nobody there
I hate to tell you, sugar, it t'ain't nobody there
If a man stay here, he'll stay most anywhere

I got up this mornin', ramblin' for my shoes
I got up this mornin', ramblin' for my shoes
The little woman said to me, 'It's all the world-weary blues'

Uncle Sam was no woman, but didn't he draft your man?
Uncle Sam was no woman, but didn't he draft your man?
Tell me them good-lookin' womens on the border's raisin' sand.

Well, women on the border's drinkin' over the water trough
Well, women on the border's drinkin' over the water trough
I wished Uncle Sam would hurry up and pay these soldiers off

I can't drink coffee and the woman won't make no tea
I can't drink coffee and the woman won't make no tea
I believe to my soul sweet mama gonna hoodoo me

I asked the girl did she love me, said, 'Lemon, I don't know how'
I asked the girl did she love me, said, 'Lemon, I don't know how'
Caught me commentatin', 'Yes, I love you sky high'

She had feet like a monkey, head like a teddy bear
She had feet like a monkey, head like a teddy bear
And a mouth full of lip, I guarantees it's everywhere.

I've got a girl in Cuba, I've got a girl in Spain
I've got a girl in Cuba, I've got a girl in Spain
I've got a brownie yonder in Dallas, I'm afraid to call her name

ROCKMAN

wow rockman i've listened to that song for years and never picked up on that

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 15, 2021 01:52

Posted by: DandelionPowderman ()
Date: August 13, 2021 11:41

There is only one solo on the studio version. That's Cooder's mandolin-solo.

Keith did the slide fills, though. Those fills are full of feel, albeit in a different way than Taylor's brilliant playing.

There are some differences between the live versions, apart from guitar solos:

- The horns in 70/71 (gave a fuller sound - I like those versions)
- Keith's playing in 1978 (more bluesy licks during the verses after the intro)
- Mick's singing in 1978 (more crescendo towards the end - improved the dynamics)

Otherwise, I agree with LIV being a song that's made for the Stones to play. They can't go wrong with it. All versions have something unique to offer, including the Stripped- and Isle of Wight 2007-versions. I never heard the Echoplex-version from 2013, though.

nobody has except those present at the show
what makes it so interesting to me is i think it maybe the only time both taylor and ronnie played on the song together

Posted by: Meryl03 ()
Date: August 15, 2021 11:48

TravelinMan
dcba
Taylor1

[www.youtube.com]

I disagree. 1973 was firmly in the time of guitar pyrotechnics. IMO he was egging him on. This was the era of the Guitar Hero, and the Stones had one of the best.

I just listened to LA Friday, and Wood approached the songs in much of the same way. It wasn’t until 1978 when they started backing off the lead guitar gunslinger image.

This. Jagger loved Taylor's guitar playing, he's said so himself. You can hear him really into it and encouraging him on live shows "yea, baby, yea", "c'mon babe" etc

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 15, 2021 15:00

Love In Vain Detroit '78 is awesome too! It was featured on the 78 radio broadcast, King Biscuit. It's the best version from '78 (IMHO).

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:16

exilestones
Love In Vain Detroit '78 is awesome too! It was featured on the 78 radio broadcast, King Biscuit. It's the best version from '78 (IMHO).

smoking smiley My favorite '78 version too! Passaic and Fort Worth are close seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 20:05 by stevecardi.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home