Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Oasis Live Knebworth cinema release
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 10, 2021 15:00

Cinema release 23 September. Looks pretty good

Youtube

Re: OT: Oasis Live Knebworth cinema release
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 10, 2021 19:34

Hopefully I can catch this in the Cinema like I did with Supersonic.

I saw Oasis 4 times on the whats the story morning glory tour. In the summer of 95 supporting REM, March 96 in Dublin & twice in August 96, those 2 dates were just days after the Knebworth gigs. I got a ticket for the second night for free so went again the second night. There was a really great energy in the air each time I caught them in those years. In a lot of ways, Noel Gallagher was more of a “spokesperson for a generation” than Cobain was. (The other “voice of a generation”)

Those first 2 albums, and the amazing singles they released at that time, were amazing times. Some of the B sides were better than most bands album material....
Whatever wasn’t on any album!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 10, 2021 20:52

I was there, as a drunk 20(ish) year old. Not a superfan, but it was a good night - with Prodigy and some others. Can't remember which date it was though.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 10, 2021 22:29

Paddy
In a lot of ways, Noel Gallagher was more of a “spokesperson for a generation” than Cobain was. (The other “voice of a generation”)

Those first 2 albums, and the amazing singles they released at that time, were amazing times. Some of the B sides were better than most bands album material....
Whatever wasn’t on any album!

I couldn’t agree with you more, on both of your points

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 11, 2021 02:04

LA got cheated out of a Morning Glory show so hopefully we will get to see it in the theatre!

Date: August 11, 2021 07:20

peoplewitheyes
I was there, as a drunk 20(ish) year old. Not a superfan, but it was a good night - with Prodigy and some others. Can't remember which date it was though.

Was the bootleg Beatles the other band? We got them and the prodigy. The Prodigy gigs around 96-97 were brilliant.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 11, 2021 08:14

I saw them the last show before Knebworth, on the 7th of august 1996. Pure magic.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 11, 2021 08:39

Two legendary shows’! Oasis were truly at their zenith at this time. Let’s not forget the masterful John Squire guessing on Champagne Supernova.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 08:52

Saw them in 98 and 08 in Vancouver, decent shows. Last show I saw was The Who in late 2019 when Liam was the opener.
Love to see a reunion with the classic lineup from What's The Story.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 11, 2021 12:58

I saw Oasis nine times, 94-09, all in Osaka but one free music festival in Rome commemorating May Day 2002, during my holiday stay over there. I witnessed their rise to stardom in Japan, from the 650-capacity Club Quattro to the 10k+ Osaka-jo (i.e. “castle”) Hall as well as a headlining appearance at the Summer Sonic festival. They were always entertaining, fun to watch. A good time was had by all who were there.

That being said, I have mixed-feelings about them. Oasis were certainly the biggest, most popular band from the U.K. when they were around. In terms of creativity, though, their music was generic and derivative, nothing innovative in there (oops, sorry I said this). They — actually Noel almost solely — wrote a number of good tunes, Supersonic, Live Forever, Whatever, Acquiesce, Wonderwall, Don’t Look Back In Anger etc. — they are all classics. But all of them without exception reminded me of the old school pop and rock from the 60’s and 70’s in one way or another, The Beatles in particular. Perhaps their biggest crime is that they spread the notion that it’s okay for rock music to be a rehash of the 60’s/70’s and musicians can get away with it.

After Oasis’ debut gig in Osaka, a friend of mine told me — “Eventually we will get bored by them.” The song titles I mentioned above as “classics” were all released up to the point of the second album, (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? That tells you something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 13:01 by RisingStone.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: August 11, 2021 15:31

Tells me nothing. Sounds like the same old Stones' ''fans'' who say everything since Mick Taylor sucks.
All of Oasis' albums had great tunes on them. Their last album DIG OUT YOUR SOUL was fantastic IMO. "Don't Believe The Truth" is in my Top 3 Oasis albums.
They put their spin on 60's and 70's stuff. And made it theirs and unique, esp Liam's vocals.
Much like The Stones did with the blues and American music.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 11, 2021 17:10

Should be a great film. Wonder why it got shelved the first time.
Was There Then is a fantastic concert and documentary

Date: August 11, 2021 17:41

quietbeatle
Tells me nothing. Sounds like the same old Stones' ''fans'' who say everything since Mick Taylor sucks.
All of Oasis' albums had great tunes on them. Their last album DIG OUT YOUR SOUL was fantastic IMO. "Don't Believe The Truth" is in my Top 3 Oasis albums.
They put their spin on 60's and 70's stuff. And made it theirs and unique, esp Liam's vocals.
Much like The Stones did with the blues and American music.

That is a moot point. Personally, Noel and Liam’s unashamedly open adoration for The Beatles and other 60’s stuff had me questioning their motivation to make and play music other than reviving what they saw in the good ol’ time music for them.

What are the other 2 in your Top 3 Oasis albums?

Date: August 11, 2021 18:47

My ranking of Oasis’ albums

Definitely Maybe *****
What’s The Story (Morning Glory?) *****
Be Here Now ***
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants **
Heathen Chemistry ***
Don’t Believe the Truth ****
Dig Out your Soul ***

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 11, 2021 21:39

Big Al
My ranking of Oasis’ albums

Definitely Maybe *****
What’s The Story (Morning Glory?) *****
Be Here Now ***
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants **
Heathen Chemistry ***
Don’t Believe the Truth ****
Dig Out your Soul ***

Nice one Big Al, here's mine: 1-5

Definitely Maybe *****
(What's The Story) Morning Glory? **** (Never mind the brackets, here's.. grinning smiley
Be Here Now *****
Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants ****
Heathen Chemistry ** (But Liam's hairdo at the time = *****)
Don't Believe The Truth *****
Dig Out Your Soul ****

I was lucky to see them live 17 times between 1996 to 2009. I hope they DON'T reform as it would not be the same.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 11, 2021 21:51

I really hope it's just the trailer and that half of the film isn't shots of the crowd because that would suck.

Date: August 11, 2021 23:41

DGA35
Saw them in 98 and 08 in Vancouver, decent shows. Last show I saw was The Who in late 2019 when Liam was the opener.

I was at this gig also, it was my second time seeing Liam solo. He supported the stones at one of the London gigs a few years ago. It was short set though at that who gig. He still has the voice, not what it was, but it’s still there.

Guigsy & boneheaded were essential to the sound. Basic as both of them were, it was a more punk sound band with them in it. Being it on down is basically a punk tune. Though poor Tony McCarrol had problems with the drums on that one. As Bonehead said in an interview “some guy came up to me and said anyone can play those bar chords your playing” to which he replied “yeah pal, but I’m the one playing them” grinning smiley

The Masterplan album is a must for lovers of those first 2 albums.

Date: August 12, 2021 00:00

Paddy

Yep I agree.
My Top 3 Oasis albums are, Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and...The Masterplangrinning smiley

Date: August 12, 2021 00:20

Paddy
DGA35

I was at this gig also, it was my second time seeing Liam solo. He supported the stones at one of the London gigs a few years ago. It was short set though at that who gig. He still has the voice, not what it was, but it’s still there.

Guigsy & boneheaded were essential to the sound. Basic as both of them were, it was a more punk sound band with them in it. Being it on down is basically a punk tune. Though poor Tony McCarrol had problems with the drums on that one. As Bonehead said in an interview “some guy came up to me and said anyone can play those bar chords your playing” to which he replied “yeah pal, but I’m the one playing them” grinning smiley

Masterplan is an excellent album! I love Rocking Chair.

Date: August 12, 2021 01:24

Songs like Rocking Chair, talk tonight, half the world away & it’s better people, sounded to me like it was Noel, the producer and no one else, recorded at the end of recording sessions when the bad was gone. I loved the late night kinda feel of those song.

[m.youtube.com]

One of my favourite b sides of that time...

Date: August 12, 2021 01:38

Additional comment to quietbeatle —

I don’t think many old Stones fans say everything since Mick Taylor sucks. “Some might say” everything since Ronnie Wood sucks. There may be some more who say the modern Stones 1989 onwards suck. But very few of them say the Taylor-era Stones suck I’m sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 13:51 by RisingStone.

Date: August 12, 2021 09:11

For the Oasis fans amongst us: I really do feel they were the last truly great B-sides act. The Masterplan was such a marvellous showcase for all Noel had stockpiled during Oasis’ formative years. Every one of those flip-sides could’ve been an album contender: in fact, the Don’t Look Back in Anger B-side, Step Out, was meant to appear on (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?, but was omitted at the eleventh hour after a lawsuit from Stevie Wonder’s people.

There could’ve - and should’ve! - been a follow-up compilation to The Masterplan.

Date: August 12, 2021 10:05

Big Al
For the Oasis fans amongst us: I really do feel they were the last truly great B-sides act. The Masterplan was such a marvellous showcase for all Noel had stockpiled during Oasis’ formative years. Every one of those flip-sides could’ve been an album contender: in fact, the Don’t Look Back in Anger B-side, Step Out, was meant to appear on (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?, but was omitted at the eleventh hour after a lawsuit from Stevie Wonder’s people.

There could’ve - and should’ve! - been a follow-up compilation to The Masterplan.

I always wondered what if he hadn’t blown his load on those b sides, there was another 2 great albums to follow Morning Glory.
But those B sides were much appreciated back in the day. No Internet to drag up rare cuts!

I bought the 2 singles boxes back then also, they were cigarette box replicas containing the Def Maybe and Morn Glory singles.

Date: August 13, 2021 00:18

Not that it mattered to me, it was purely an NME hype racket, but I can’t understand why Roll with it was the song Oasis released in the “chart battle” with blur. They released Wonderwall & Dont look back in anger after Roll with it. Maybe it was the right choice as those tunes were massive singles and remain popular in the imagination.

Date: August 13, 2021 00:35

Paddy
Not that it mattered to me, it was purely an NME hype racket, but I can’t understand why Roll with it was the song Oasis released in the “chart battle” with blur. They released Wonderwall & Dont look back in anger after Roll with it. Maybe it was the right choice as those tunes were massive singles and remain popular in the imagination.

I remember buying the 2 singles boxsets back then. There were songs I'd hear or see on live videos like Aquiesce I think it's called and was looking on Definitely and What's The Story and thinking where is this song. Awesome cover versions of Street Fighting Man, Cum On Feel The Noize and My Generation!

Date: August 13, 2021 01:40

DGA35
Paddy

I remember buying the 2 singles boxsets back then. There were songs I'd hear or see on live videos like Aquiesce I think it's called and was looking on Definitely and What's The Story and thinking where is this song. Awesome cover versions of Street Fighting Man, Cum On Feel The Noize and My Generation!

Aquiesce I think is the only Oasis song where it’s co- lead vocals? Liam on the verses and Noel on the chorus’. They opened all the gigs I caught round the with that I think, maybe Columbia opened one show. Swamp song into Aquiesce.

As much as the Beatles stuff was thrown around as an influence, Slade, T Rex, The Stones, The Sex Pistols influence was there for all to see at that time. Strange as it sounds, it felt like Oasis could have wrote cum on feel the noize!

The Versions of My Generation ive heard and saw are brilliant, could be due to having Zakk on board for some of those performances.

I miss those times and especially the gigs. No @#$%& with cellphones, the odd disposable camera and bootlegger... Everyone there in the moment with the band.
I loved REM and especially that album they were touring Monster, but oasis blew them off the stage. Pains me to say, but a lot headed for the exits once Oasis was done. The reaction to them was intense, crushes all over once they came on. They stoped the gig once or twice to calm things down. Everyone it seemed knew the words to the songs off definitely maybe, but hearing don’t look back in anger for the first time live was cool. I was waiting to hear that on the album when it came.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 13, 2021 03:06

I bought the first two albums along with all the singles on vinyl as they were released (the B-sides were eventually compiled for The Masterplan)- all of it was great, and it was thrilling to witness the Oasis-mania.
After those first few years they sort of disintegrated though...a shame as they could have continued on to ultimate legendary status - now they're just an oddball relic of the '90's when they were momentarily massive.

Saw them live a couple times around 2002 and 2008 (?), and honestly they weren't very good. Liam solo w/his band opening for the Who w/ a Bonehead guest appearance at the Hollywood Bowl a couple of years ago might have even been better, even though he only played for about a half an hour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-13 03:10 by Hairball.

Date: August 13, 2021 17:12

Another sore point I hold against Oasis is, I have an impression they spread the custom of total singalong among the general public, something I feel annoying depending on the circumstances. Now the punters sing aloud not only “anthems” but also deeply personal songs if not on every given occasion. At one music festival in London, while headliner Nick Cave was performing, a young student-type near me, who was absolutely plastered, kept belting out all the way through. When he chanted the sad, poignant lyrics of Jubilee Street off key to Nick’s singing, a highlight of the show, I struggled to suppress an urge to strangle him. I wanted to move out and change the place but it was practically impossible as it was so crowded and densely packed where I was. Eventually I ended up hearing more of his “singing” than Nick’s. This piss artist ruined my day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-13 19:30 by RisingStone.

Date: August 14, 2021 04:35

Paddy

It was Damon Albarn and an NME journalist who conspired to create the Roll With It vs Country House nonsense: The NME’s readership would increase and Blur would reach #1. Being a middle-class Oxbridge paper, they were always going to side with the arty Blur. Oasis won the war, of course.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 17, 2021 03:59

I have the DVD from the original release way back when..... Amazing band, amazing songs, amazing shows.

I saw them on the last 2 US gigs on 20 & 21 April, 1996 in Dallas & Austin, TX, respectively and will never forget when Noel dedicated Live Forever to the Stone Roses in Dallas, as that was the day the Roses' officially broke up. Noel has been known to say that it was the Stone Roses that got him inspired. I saw them again at the Tabernacle in Atlanta in 2002, and they were every bit as good as 1996. WOW! The 3 shows I saw of Oasis are among the best I have ever seen.

Many years back (I forget when), I raised the topic of Oasis, their live shows, and their music, but the die hards on this board couldn't admit that Oasis were that good. They even whined about Oasis (to me) amazing cover of Street Fighter. My favorite track is D'Ya Know What I Mean? from an LP, Be Here Now, which has taken a real beating over time. There are some good tracks on it, but all pale compared to DYKWIM.

Great band, great songs, great energy, great playing, great shows. See the movie in cinema - for those who never saw the band, you don't want to miss it.
For those who saw the band, it's a must, because you'll never see that band live again.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home