Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 68
Re: Europe 2022 show rumours - The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 29, 2021 12:21

Three years at their age?

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 29, 2021 12:28

Topi

Health permitting i don't see why not, 15 shows per year, perhaps 30 shows, leaves over 300 days a year to rest and spend with family.
Chuck Berry played well into his 80s

Re: 2022 Euro Tour Rumors - Festivals ?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 29, 2021 13:26

MAF
What's the capacity of Garorock?

Like Mick's greed : infinite! grinning smiley

In fact Garonor is the name of the festival. "Plaine de la filhole" is the name of the place the gig might/will take place.
Quite large in fact : 35 hectarages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-29 13:28 by dcba.

Date: October 29, 2021 21:38

A reputed French radio host "ByZegut" says:

"The Rolling Stones 25 juin 2022 Garorock ?"

He's usually right with these. In 2014 he called the Stade de France date months before it was officially announced.

[mobile.twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-29 21:39 by Topi.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 30, 2021 02:53

Rocktiludrop
Topi

Health permitting i don't see why not, 15 shows per year, perhaps 30 shows, leaves over 300 days a year to rest and spend with family.
Chuck Berry played well into his 80s

Chuck Berry did play into his 80s, but that is hardly a relevant comparison. The sheer size, scale and showmanship of a Stones performance is way way above and beyond what Chuck Berry was producing for the last ten years and more of his performing life.

I really think the odds of The Stones performing in three years time are very very small. At their age now a year is a long time, never mind three times that amount of time. Your maths seem reasonable until one computes the amount of travel required, the rehearsals, the logistics, the vast amount of unseen organisation and work required to move from venue to venue. And it is not like they do nothing between tours. There are the myriad other demands on their time given that the Rolling Stones is a huge multi-national business operation.

And we haven't even considered the longer term impact of Charlie's death on the surviving members. For the current tour they were catapulted directly into a major tour that was on the point of starting. There was not much time to dwell on the major bereavement the band members had suffered. But I wonder what they might be feeling as soon as the current adrenalin rush subsides and they are left alone with their thoughts for an extended period.

Let them have a bit of time to think, reflect and contemplate the demands a further three years might put on them. I think they will certainly do SOMETHING in Europe next year, but the opportunity that presents to bring their touring life to a close back home in England on their 60th anniversary seems - at least to me - to have a kind of symmetry to it. Closing the circle for the last time where it was so thrillingly opened all those years ago feels right somehow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-30 02:55 by GerardHennessy.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 30, 2021 05:26

One of Chuck Berrys later gigs in Finland was so bad that Finland made a new law that if the quality of the performance is unusually bad you are eligible to get refunded.

That said 2018 is three years ago.

I can see the Stones lasting three more years, even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-30 05:27 by rebelhipi.

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: October 30, 2021 05:38

Topi

I'm too old for this festival in the middle of nowhere stuff now. Eek.

Date: October 30, 2021 06:24

After Prague, I swore no more open air shows for me...

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 30, 2021 06:24

Pie1
Topi

I'm too old for this festival in the middle of nowhere stuff now. Eek.

So am I but..... Waiting to see the tour

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 30, 2021 10:47

Timeline Europe 2022 (maybe)

Rumors Nov, announcement Dec, Tour start May 2022

Rumors Feb, announcement Feb, Tour start May 2018
Rumors April, announcement May, Tour start Sep 2017
Rumors Feb, announcement Mar, Tour start May 2014

They could use christmas already to sell tickets to the tour. But we all hope they have a new record (with Charlie!) coming out pretty soon(ish). But that could be March to push ticket sales.

Date: October 30, 2021 12:10

I'd say those 2014 and 2018 timelines seem more realistic.

Yes, the 2019 tour was announced around Thanksgiving (November) back in 2018 but that was clearly targeted at the US market.

Recent European tours have all been announced only a few months out.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 30, 2021 12:14

schwonek
Timeline Europe 2022 (maybe)

Rumors Nov, announcement Dec, Tour start May 2022

Rumors Feb, announcement Feb, Tour start May 2018
Rumors April, announcement May, Tour start Sep 2017
Rumors Feb, announcement Mar, Tour start May 2014

They could use christmas already to sell tickets to the tour. But we all hope they have a new record (with Charlie!) coming out pretty soon(ish). But that could be March to push ticket sales.

if the tour in May they won't announce the tour before Christmas und put tickets on sale.
The last time they tour Europe/the UK in 2018 tickets went on sale in early march while the tour kicked off in mid May.
Given they Covid situation I'd be surprised if they announce a tour more than two month prior to the first show of the tour

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 30, 2021 12:55

Lot of negativity about big outdoor shows here

My day at Hyde Park 1st concert (July 2013?) hard to see how it could have been better. And I recall £95 which was not too bad for all day entertainment

Kinda agree on the multi day format though - and we were blessed with great weather which especially here in the UK is always a big unknown

Date: October 30, 2021 12:58

I could make an exception with Hyde Park! grinning smiley

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 30, 2021 17:10

rebelhipi
One of Chuck Berrys later gigs in Finland was so bad that Finland made a new law that if the quality of the performance is unusually bad you are eligible to get refunded.

That said 2018 is three years ago.

I can see the Stones lasting three more years, even more.

In three years time Mick will be 81, Keith will be 80. Ronnie 'The Kid;' will be a mere 77. If still touring, they will be in the 62nd year of their performing life. These number are just the baseline should they go on, as you imply, even beyond three more years.

Even the Rolling Stones cannot defy the ravages of time forever. They have already surpassed all kinds of forecasts in terms of their likely retirement date. They have broken records of every kind. They have toured almost everywhere it is possible to tour in. They have performed in all the major markets for their music over and over and over again. They have survived deaths, illnesses, a pandemic, changing fashions, patronising reviews of their music, similar comments on their longevity, and accusations of greed, egotism and conceit.

My point? I would like the band to go out at the top of their game. I would like them to vacate the stage before that decision is made by any further bereavements, by - Heaven forbid - a resurgence of the pandemic, or by severe illness. They are pretty much the last band standing from my own fondly-remembered youth. I love these guys. Those currently still with us, and those that have gone before. England in 2022, for their 60th anniversary, would be a fitting end to it all. Like all great heroes they can then ride off into the musical sunset, on their terms. Victorious to the end.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: October 30, 2021 17:58

Maybe the festivals make the tour easier with having only one stage to move around in Europe (which is more difficult than in the US). And so building the rest of the tour around whatever festival dates makes sense as to keep the tour without whatever 4-5 day break they prefer themselves.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:15

The end should be in London, where it began. If the grace which Mick and Keith seem to have found themselves able to show to each other this tour could extend to inviting Bill and Mick Taylor to join in some way, so much the better.
Nothing to stop them continuing to perform, together and/or with others, in one-offs or smaller, covered venues, perhaps embracing their Blues heritage more, as long as they can stand, but these stadium extravaganzas can't go on much longer at their ages. Time has been remarkably on their side for longer than anyone could have dreamed possible but it isn't infinite.
Of course, that's just what I think. The Rolling Stones have never really stopped doing anything when they should have; pushing well beyond any decent limit is almost their USP, so nothing would surprise me.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:32

GerardHennessy

Even the Rolling Stones cannot defy the ravages of time forever. They have already surpassed all kinds of forecasts in terms of their likely retirement date. They have broken records of every kind. They have toured almost everywhere it is possible to tour in. They have performed in all the major markets for their music over and over and over again. They have survived deaths, illnesses, a pandemic, changing fashions, patronising reviews of their music, similar comments on their longevity, and accusations of greed, egotism and conceit.

My point? I would like the band to go out at the top of their game. I would like them to vacate the stage before that decision is made by any further bereavements, by - Heaven forbid - a resurgence of the pandemic, or by severe illness. They are pretty much the last band standing from my own fondly-remembered youth. I love these guys. Those currently still with us, and those that have gone before. England in 2022, for their 60th anniversary, would be a fitting end to it all. Like all great heroes they can then ride off into the musical sunset, on their terms. Victorious to the end.

That's almost exactly what I have in my mind. I kind of expect them to bow out after the EU tour 2022.

But that's just me, thinking. It will be their choice. They'll decide.

Besides, no one has anything against any solo projects by Mick, Keith or Ronnie even after the band would have been come to a stop.

But that's, thank god, only my own ideas. We're such an extraordinary lucky buch of fans with this band, isn't it? ISN'T IT? smiling bouncing smiley grinning smiley

God I love this band and I'm so proud of them. Thank you so very, very, VERY much!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 30, 2021 20:12

mailexile67
In my opinion with a very likely new album they'll touring at least for three years:Europe, Japan/Australia/Argentina miscellaneous and North America with the possibility of a final Tour in UK.This is my prediction, health permitting

The release date of a new album is an irrelevance. They've been doing the same tour since 2013. Its not as if they're going to launch a '(insert name of new album) world tour' and heavily promote it.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 30, 2021 23:56

well i think we can assume that they haven't decided that this is goodbye for the usa because if they had then mick would have told us and they would have surely sold a lot more tickets

also if they after 22 decided to continue (which i'm sure they will) they could switch over to arenas and theatres and just do 90 min sets instead of the stadiums

given how well they're performing now i can see them being able to do it like this into there early 80's

i mean i can't imagine how much joy and pleasure it gives them to perform and if there still able then why in the world would anyone except them to give that up

final bit
to me (and know i'm probably way off) this sort of feels like that period after the got back together in 89 like they had been reborn and everything was possible and i know that didn't happen nor am i so naive as to believe there gonna start pumping out exiles or something but things are different now mick & keith seem to be closer then in any time in decades ronnie seems to be determined to make the best of the years he has left and keith is in better health then he has been in a long time perhaps allowing him to be more creative and inspired and also mick seems to have mellowed with age and the worst parts of his personality seem to have faded too and with all this hopefully well see a kind of renewed interest in being productive and creative as a band again
i know unlikely but i can hope
i sure wish they had been able to come to this point while charlie was still alive

Date: October 31, 2021 00:20

Mick "would have told us"?

Date: October 31, 2021 00:27

Topi
Mick "would have told us"?

well if they had decided as a group definitively that this is it for the us don't you think mick or the band as a group would have issued some kind of statement it sure would have encouraged more people to buy tickets

my point is that while many here believe these are the last shows in the us the stones themselves don't seem to be so sure yet

Date: October 31, 2021 01:15

They would never announce a farewell tour or even a leg.

But you have to be realistic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-31 01:16 by Topi.

Date: October 31, 2021 01:24

Topi
They would never announce a farewell tour or even a leg.

But you have to be realistic.

yeah you may be right lets wait and see

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-31 01:25 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 31, 2021 02:36

ProfessorWolf
well i think we can assume that they haven't decided that this is goodbye for the usa because if they had then mick would have told us and they would have surely sold a lot more tickets

also if they after 22 decided to continue (which i'm sure they will) they could switch over to arenas and theatres and just do 90 min sets instead of the stadiums

That is simply never going to happen. The Stones will never go back to playing in theatres. There is no financial motivation for them to do so. And thats far more important that any 'artistic' motivation.

They'll flog the stadium tour concept to death as long as they're physically up to it and as long as there's a demand. The latter is a given.

Date: October 31, 2021 15:12

yeah good point i didn't consider that

they'd have to charge hollywood fl prices to make that work

however they could add a 30 min intermision in the middle of there stadium show to allow them to catch there breath in the future though

Re: 2022 Euro Tour Rumors - Festivals ?
Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: October 31, 2021 19:14

dcba
MAF
What's the capacity of Garorock?

Like Mick's greed : infinite! grinning smiley

In fact Garonor is the name of the festival. "Plaine de la filhole" is the name of the place the gig might/will take place.
Quite large in fact : 35 hectarages.

You can not be serious. He does not have to do it for greed, don't you understand. He's on the next level. Neither others have to do it for greed reasons. If they do it, it's for fun and enjoyment of being on stage.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 31, 2021 19:28

ProfessorWolf

however they could add a 30 min intermision in the middle of there stadium show to allow them to catch there breath in the future though

Haha, to use the vernacular, ain't gonna be no intermissions in Rolling Stones shows, sorry P Wolf, unless you count Keith's set.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 31, 2021 20:35

angee
ProfessorWolf

Haha, to use the vernacular, ain't gonna be no intermissions in Rolling Stones shows, sorry P Wolf, unless you count Keith's set.

I almost agreed with you, and then started to think twice. At this age of the members, anything can happen.

I understand the show-break can be a buzz-killer, but carefully planned 2x75 mins set with 20-30 mins intermission may not only benefit the band for taking a rest but also a longer show with more numbers played in total.

It also serves the desperate lot among the crowd who is holding it indrinking smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: October 31, 2021 20:52

GerardHennessy
My point? I would like the band to go out at the top of their game.

Then they should have stopped decades ago.
As long as the audience and the band are enjoying themselves, why should some hardcore fans try to push them to hang up their boots? Disrespectful to say the least!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 68

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home